User Name: jack.stalwart
Forum Rank: Newbie
Statistics
Number of Posts: 5
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Suicidal tendencies
Posted: Saturday, May 1, 2021 4:49:31 PM
I had clinical depression at about the same age as yours, and over the course of life it has turned into a recurrent depression. Because after years of calm I unexpectedly had a relapse recently. And after a month of suffering and gloom I had the courage to go see a psychiatrist.
Even though the depression went as unexpectedly as it came, I take the prescribed meds and plan to continue so.
What you should believe is it is an impairment in your brain. It is medical. Changing your way of thinking, trying to find out analytically what has gone wrong with you Will Not Help.
After seeing the nice doctor I had this amazing book - Mindfulness by Mark Williams - as a recommendation to read.
It is completely scientific and helps you see the big picture how the chains of the link in your brain - emotion, memory, mood - ultimately send down the loop of depression. It is nothing like motivational self-help crap.
So, I would recommend to accept that It Is A Disorder In Your Brain and It Can and Must Be Treated.
Yes, and I have had suicidal thoughts my entire life, but they have lately subsided.

P.S. The decision to go to the doctor is hard, I know. But you must do it.
Topic: a murder of crows
Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2021 3:26:31 PM
tautophile wrote:
I assert that the collective noun for a group of penguins is "a frieze of penguins"...but one could say that this overstates the case. There are penguins that live on the Equator--Galapagos penguins (Spheniscus mendiculus)--thousands of miles from any ice floes.

Here are some more collectives for sciences that may amuse you:

A pile of nuclear physicists
A cloud of meteorologists
A set of mathematicians
A line of spectroscopists
A stack of librarians
A wing of ornithologists
A complex of psychologists

😊 Are these jokes?
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2021 4:18:17 AM
Спасибо!
It is really nice to know that all those collective terms are accurate and not made up by the author.
Hmm. I will enter some of them right into my everyday speech to use humorously :-)
Like to taunt someone)
Look, a murder!!!
Where????
Down there, see?
WHERE????
See the crows down there?

And the idea of archaic terms of venery is very insightfull. Thanks.
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2021 3:02:16 PM
Hi! I am Russian. I read a Russian book by a Russian writer who is an expert on modern American literature.
And that is what I found out in the book:
"a pod of dolphins
a gam of whales
a murder of crows
a company of parrots
a murmuration of starlings
a conspiracy of ravens
a parliament of owls
"
Hmm, this incomprehensible peculiarity with namimg groups of animals.
I am, frankly, at a loss. How relevant is it? Do you guys - Americans, Brits - really "think" that way?
Is 'murder' what comes to mind when you see a bunch of crows on the street?
And in a zoo, when you see a lovely bunch of owls, is 'parliament' what is about to slip your tongue?
Topic: different age
Posted: Wednesday, December 2, 2020 2:33:43 PM
Hi! I would say, There were a lot of students of different age.
Like "There were a lot of flowers of different color"