User Name: vprado
Forum Rank: Newbie
Statistics
Number of Posts: 25
[0.00% of all post / 0.02 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: 📌 Words of Wisdom?
Posted: Tuesday, January 7, 2020 9:20:33 PM
Can I add some? I'm no warmonger, but these lessons from The Fog of War are quite good guidelines:
Lesson #1: Empathize with your enemy.
Lesson #2: Rationality alone will not save us.
Lesson #3: There's something beyond one's self.
Lesson #4: Maximize efficiency.
skip 5
Lesson #6: Get the data.
Lesson #7: Belief and seeing, both are often wrong.
Lesson #8: Be prepared to reexamine your reasoning.
Lesson #9: In order to do good, you may have to engage in evil.
Lesson #10: Never say never.
Lesson #11: You can't change human nature.
Topic: the flat of the blade
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2019 6:03:18 PM
Hello everyone,

Do you know the song The Flat of the Blade by Massive Attack? I know it's nothing new but anyway... Here's a link for the lyrics:
https://genius.com/Massive-attack-flat-of-the-blade-lyrics

Can you please tell me what is meant by "backs to the wheel" in the lyrics? I just can't get my head around it. Also, is "the flat of the blade" literal or does it have any special meaning given the context? This music reminds me of The Trial by Kafka.

Lastly, I noticed something that seems very unusual in the English language (at least to my knowledge). When he says "how does it feel the weight of the steel of the flat of the blade", couldn't he have saved some "ofs" and say something like "how does it feel the steel weight from the blade flat" or similar? Besides musicality, is there any reason to this?
Topic: help with a few questions for work!
Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2016 7:41:57 AM
Hi hedy mmm and DragOnspeaker,

It's really tricky! I was analyzing a document from a dutch partner here and this is what I found:

"Local and global axis systems are represented ON Figure 2"
"The applicable criteria are provided IN reference [16] and recalled IN Table 5"

Are they confusing the usage of IN and ON? Why ON figure but IN table?

Anyway, I saw they tend to use "as per reference" or "according to reference" much more frequently than "in reference"... So I'm going with them!

Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 2016 6:57:49 PM
Hi snafu22q, hedy mmm and NKM!

Thanks a lot for your help! I really thought the answer to my first question would be ON.

I should use ON for TV and radio (and internet?), and IN for newspapers, books and etc? Is that it?
Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 2016 2:23:06 PM
Hi all,

Could you please help me?

I'm writing a report for work and I have (so far) two doubts:
1. Should I say "as referenced ON item/chapter X" or "as referenced IN item/chapter X"?
2. Waves have periods. If I can't find a wave period in a table, I should use "the CLOSEST" wave period available. Or is it "the NEAREST" wave period available?

Thanks!
Topic: Old English?
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 10:36:10 PM
Hello again,

thar and towan52, thanks for sharing these links! Old English is really different, but Middle English is quite understandable... The language really changed a lot after the Norman invasion in 1066... Really amazing!

And NKM, thanks for your thoughts on the usage of "depiction"... I'm always learning with you guys.

If anyone is interested in the subject (but I can't vouch for the accuracy of these videos):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jlcV7DYL3o - proto-indo-european
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50By01L7uzY - a number of ancient languages
Topic: Old English?
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 1:43:36 PM
Hello everybody,

I wanted to know what Old English sounds like... Does anyone know a reliable source? I was looking for Latin the other day, but couldn't find any material with an accurate depiction* of the language (at least, for what people commented on the websites I went through...).

* is it OK to use "depiction" for something that's not visual?
Topic: United Kingdom?
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2016 8:05:51 PM
While I'm really skeptic about the future of EU, as I've pointed out before, I still don't get what is the advantage of Brexit at this point. Given that the UK never adopted the Euro, it seems to me that Brexit only leaves the UK in a weaker position, both economically and politically.

Proponents of Brexit argue that the EU is hampering UK’s economy. But I don't see how getting out of the block, and losing tax-free access to the final destination of almost 50% of British exports, will help. Not to mention all other trade agreements EU has with the rest of the world.

Regarding the issue of immigration, I want to believe that the problem is not prejudice against whatever but, once again, economic. Brexiters want to save the money from the several (some? few?) benefits migrants are entitled to once they enter the system legally... But don't you need migrants anyway? I know people who tried to get a job and make a life in the UK and they only failed because they could barely speak English d'oh!.... But these very people told me how easy it was to arrange job interviews (underemployment, I know, but still...) even with all this crisis the world economy has been facing since 2008.

Angela Merkel warned that there'll be no cherry-picking (I loved this idiom) once the now famous Article 50 is triggered. She said: “Those who want free access to the single market will in return have to respect European basic rights and freedoms".
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2016 1:03:43 PM
Just adding information:

Extracted from www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-07-10/will-brexit-spark-a-constitutional-crisis-in-the-u-k-q-a

Can the Scottish Parliament block Brexit?

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has said she’s examining this.

One of the conventions that has emerged since Scotland got its own assembly in 1998 is that the U.K. Parliament won’t legislate on Scottish matters without the consent of the government in Edinburgh. This is known at the Sewel Convention.

As repealing EU law would also cancel huge swathes of the legislation that governs Scotland, the regional assembly could choose to withhold consent from a decision to trigger Article 50.

Of course, the Parliament in Westminster is sovereign and can ultimately choose to override Scottish objections. But politically, it would be a very risky path to take.
Posted: Saturday, July 9, 2016 8:48:36 PM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
This represented 28% of total corporation tax paid in the UK.
UK exports of oil-related goods and services have been estimated at more than $40 billion a year in value.

I read somewhere that, if Scotland left the UK, the country could claim 90% of the oil reserves in the North Sea, with the potential to make Scottish GDP per capita bigger than that of England. Could this be true?

But even if it is true, and even if oil prices recover in the long run, I think it would not be a smart move for Scotland to leave the UK... First, because of the strong historical link between the member nations, but mainly because the EU doesn't seem to be a nice club to be in / join right now, just see Greece... Actually, I'm really skeptic about the EU. I'm no expert, but given some incongruities in the block, like the European economic authority's lack of control over fiscal issues in the member states (and how could this be solved?), it seems to me almost certain to face bigger and bigger problems in the future...