Profile: Doodle Snackers
About
User Name: Doodle Snackers
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 137
[0.01% of all post / 0.07 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: I don't think of the past. The only thing that matters is the everlasting present.
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2021 3:19:40 AM
Daemon wrote:
I don't think of the past. The only thing that matters is the everlasting present.

W. Somerset Maugham (1874-1965)

Not if one, like I do, deals in future$. I wouldn't put it past Maugham to have thought of the past even though he's not thinking of it at present. As far as Maugham's 'everlasting present' goes, I've had many an Xmas present given to me over the years, and due to 'planned obsolescence', they did not last. Brick wall d'oh! Whistle
Topic: Nature abhors the old, and old age seems the only disease; all others run into this one.
Posted: Thursday, April 8, 2021 2:36:03 AM
Daemon wrote:
Nature abhors the old, and old age seems the only disease; all others run into this one.

Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)

Nature doesn't loathe the old, for if She did, She'd simply not let 'em live an' cling to a gripe old age. Anxious Pray Think

I find it sickening that, to Ralph, "...old age seems the only disease...", because when I asked my doctor if he knew what what a 'cubic foot' was, after he spent quite a considerable length of time searching the internet and poring over all of his medical books, all he could tell me was that whilst he wasn't sure what 'one' was, he thought it'd have to be worth at least two week's 'compo' to anyone who had 'one' and could feign a convincing limp when they hobbled into his surgery!

Topic: Truth is the summit of being; justice is the application of it to affairs.
Posted: Wednesday, April 7, 2021 10:20:22 AM
Daemon wrote:
Truth is the summit of being; justice is the application of it to affairs.

Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)

Lie whenever it is necessary to prevent the truth obtaining wrongful convictions and wrongful punishments. Man does not recognize what is veritably just but merely that which is considered as being acceptable.

If truth is the summit of being then who amongst us can ever top it or even speak it as a belief? Brick wall Anxious
Topic: It was on one of those mornings, common in early spring, when the year, fickle and changeable in its youth like all other...
Posted: Thursday, April 1, 2021 2:40:44 AM
Bully_rus wrote:
Yeah. I love these virtual choices, they make me feel as if I’m in control of something, anything… Full forward, right?

I swear that 'choice language' isn't always to everyone's choosing.
Topic: It was on one of those mornings, common in early spring, when the year, fickle and changeable in its youth like all other...
Posted: Thursday, April 1, 2021 2:33:24 AM
Daemon wrote:
It was on one of those mornings, common in early spring, when the year, fickle and changeable in its youth like all other created things, is undecided whether to step backward into winter or forward into summer.

Charles Dickens (1812-1870)

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure that I was, because I knew that 'He who hesitates is..umm..lost'. Brick wall Anxious
Topic: See them clamber, these nimble apes! ... Towards the throne they all strive: it is their madness—as if happiness sat on the...
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2021 7:27:13 AM
Daemon wrote:
See them clamber, these nimble apes! ... Towards the throne they all strive: it is their madness—as if happiness sat on the throne! Ofttimes sitteth filth on the throne—and ofttimes also the throne on filth.

Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900)

Nothing new here given toilet pedestals, flushed with yuckcess..err..success, have long been called thrones. Brick wall
Topic: Experience, n.: The wisdom that enables us to recognize as an undesirable old acquaintance the folly that we have already...
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2021 3:17:29 AM
InfoSister wrote:
FounDit, Doodle Snackers, J W Henderson, Felix-C185445, Bully-rus, Daemon, and kirilevarma:

I cannot aspire to your levels of greatness in puns and notes and truths. This much I can add: the truly wise know best their own folly and are able to laugh at themselves. In so doing, they will never lack for a source of humor!Dancing

Sourcery causing lengthy spells is cort shaught by lackonic humor and witchcraft. Whistle
Topic: Experience, n.: The wisdom that enables us to recognize as an undesirable old acquaintance the folly that we have already...
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2021 9:39:45 PM
Bully_rus wrote:
Daemon wrote:
Experience, n.: The wisdom that enables us to recognize as an undesirable old acquaintance the folly that we have already embraced.

Ambrose Bierce (1842-1914)

Yeah. Experience is a never-ending journey which nevertheless ends with a dead end… Right?

Lordinarily, one cannot gethsemane to there from heresy. Whistle
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2021 9:17:54 PM
Felix-C185445 wrote:
Like we have the wisdom to recognize the mistakes we make but we keep on doing them because we have embraced them. In psychology this is called "resistance to change".

Taking pains to repeat the same missed aches because we have embraced them can turn hugly. Whistle

Posted: Monday, March 22, 2021 5:34:23 AM
J W Henderson wrote:
Our folly can be a springboard to subsequent wisdom.

One's belly-flopping folly will ever prevail until one has both read and fully gathered the Dunning-Kruger effect's import. Brick wall