Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 1,736
[0.20% of all post / 1.75 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: US trade war with China has backfired already in solar panels
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2018 1:25:47 PM
Hope123 wrote:
The US may have issues with China yet he makes nice with China and attacks Canada.

I can say that this behavior is quite easy to understand. Weak leaders and bullies pick on those they perceive as being weaker than themselves. The current occupant of the White House sees Canada and Mexico as being easy prey and thus feels obligated to be belligerent and smug.

Edit: This, of course, has nothing whatsoever to do with the reality of the situation and when it all blows up in his face he will have a long line of scapegoats to blame his failure on.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
Topic: Human Rights Commisioner:"What we are destroying is quite simply the structures that ensure our safe
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2018 1:01:34 PM
This one quote sums it up the best I think:
This is the way wars are made. With the smarm of belligerence and the smirk of dehumanization. With the incremental erosion of old and seemingly wearisome checks.

But the quote that I think is the most valuable is this one:
It is shaped by leadership that is both thuggish and infantile, petulant, cultivating grievances to reap votes and sowing humiliation, oppression, and hatred, and disregard for the greater common good.

Topic: Human Rights Commisioner:"What we are destroying is quite simply the structures that ensure our safe
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2018 12:58:06 PM
I could not agree more with the idea in the first article that our collective memory has failed us. All of the hard won progress. All of the massive and nowadays incomprehensible sacrifice made to get us where we are today. All of the mistakes learned from and valuable experiential knowledge. These are collective resources beyond value and yet they are being swept aside for short term gains to a tiny fraction of a percent of the population.

Topic: Have You Seen This Video? A Feel Good Story
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2018 12:48:01 PM
Hope123 wrote:
https://youtu.be/WISmbOw_bMk

Amazing what this guy did! I had heard about it but loved watching the video. He made it look so easy!

I've read about this but had not actually seen the video. Quite breathtaking. Absolutely love it.

Topic: The Inexcusable Treatment of our G7 allies
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 8:39:55 AM
NKM wrote:
I'm sure a lot of us feel that impeachment is overdue.

I've mentioned in a few threads here that if this were a Democratic (or let's just say 'not a Republican') President there would already have been multiple impeachment proceedings underway. We do live in a country with 2 sets of rules.

EDIT: We live in a country with multiple sets of rules depending on what political party you are attached to as well as the color of your skin.

Topic: One map shows why Trump's trade fight with Canada could end in disaster
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 8:35:21 AM
Thank you Hope for the link and the map. The threat of a trade war laying waste to our economy may loom over our heads, but I can actually see a silver lining in this. Local sustainable economies are resistant to this kind of attack so there is the possibility that the concept of the local sustainable economy will catch on in places open to the change.

Edit: I do acknowledge that the chance of that happening is low and that a US trade war with the rest of the world (what the White House is after) will decimate the US economy.

Topic: Price of gasoline
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2018 8:49:25 PM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:

The price per litre in the USA has averaged 77 cents per litre for the last six months.

The price per litre in the UK has averages 163.3 cents per litre. Don't complain.

I remember when gas was more than $4/gallon and that was almost all you heard politicians or political wonks talk about. It was quite similar to the talk about real estate prices. How high will it go? Who's to blame? Why are "they" doing this to us? That was really all you heard on the radio and TV. But then there were some of us who understood that $4/gallon was closer to "normal" than any politician would ever admit to. Just like there were people who fully understood that real estate prices were nowhere near realistic or sustainable. But the only ones getting air time were those shrieking that no one could possibly know who was causing it or why and that we all just needed to ride it out...

And keep buying Hummers and McMansions.

Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2018 9:02:57 AM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
progpen wrote:
The US subsidizes the cost of petrol/gasoline at around 500 Billion a year. These costs are all on the taxpayer dime and include military activities that are specifically meant to increase the US control over regions that produce.

That's the first time I've ever seen an American actually openly say that US military operations are directly designed to assist the oil industry.
Thanks, that explains why petrol seems so ridiculously cheap in the USA - it's half paid for in taxes.

Many Americans (me included) have been very uncomfortable talking about military activity in the middle east being tied directly to control of oil resources. When I was in the military it was never mentioned (only liberation and democracy). When I left the military I found that I had to be careful where and when I spoke out about the reason for our military activities. Coworkers, supervisors, managers, executives tend to get very angry when this is brought up (even outside of work).

Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2018 8:56:15 AM
Direct subsidies.

http://priceofoil.org/fossil-fuel-subsidies/
As of October 2017, Oil Change International estimates United States fossil fuel exploration and production subsidies at $20.5 billion annually. Other credible estimates of annual United States fossil fuel subsidies range from $10 billion to $52 billion annually – yet none of these include costs borne by taxpayers related to the climate, local environmental, and health impacts of the fossil fuel industry.

Fossil fuel subsidies in the United States also include massive military expenditures to acquire and defend fossil fuel interests around the globe, and infrastructure spending and related maintenance based on an antiquated energy system built on large, remote power plants and cheap electricity

Military indirect subsidies.
http://www.dollarsandsense.org/archives/2010/0510dancs.html

Here's another that shows a range of other incentives that equate monetarily into subsidies.
https://grist.org/energy-policy/2011-10-26-direct-subsidies-to-fossil-fuels-are-tip-of-melting-iceburg/

https://www.taxpayer.net/energy-natural-resources/federal-subsidies-corn-ethanol-corn-based-biofuels/
Direct subsidies for corn-based ethanol are actually poorly hidden indirect subsidies for the petroleum industry because they have artificially increased the use of petroleum products (fuel and pesticides/herbicides) for a product that is the most inefficient source of ethanol that could have been chosen because it is the only source that requires an extensive use of petroleum products to create the ethanol. The only reason that the US has allowed corn based ethanol to become the standard is because of a teamup of the farm lobby and the oil industry lobby.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fossil-fuel-subsidies-cost-5-trillion-annually-and-worsen-pollution/
The world’s largest energy subsidizers are also its largest energy consumers, led by the China and the United States, which together account for a projected $3 trillion in 2015 energy subsidies...

One thing that I've not even approached in this list is the subsidized cost to taxpayer health and to the environment.

Topic: Pysanka
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2018 8:11:41 AM
I've been following the work of a few pysanka artists for a while. The work is stunning.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.