Statistics
Number of Posts: 1,870
[0.20% of all post / 1.60 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: 💙 NY Senator Jose Peralta RIP
Posted: Sunday, December 2, 2018 7:03:59 AM
Epiphileon wrote:
...continued willful ignorance...

I've used this term many times because it is the basis for many, if not most, of the politically and ideologically motivated misinformation that is being spewed in the US. Hedy may very well believe what she said, but that is only because she has been and continues to willfully ignore any information that contradicts it because she believes it to be from Democrats. She will not accept information that she believes comes from people who do not share her political views. This has never been a scientific discussion. It has been a political one.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
Topic: "Nationalism"?
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2018 8:58:48 AM
A cooperator wrote:
progpen wrote:
"Humanitarian negotiation and political mediation are two different strands," said Griffiths, 67, a married father of two. "They need to be carried out by different people and they should not be integrated and ... will continue to be so, I'm sure, in Yemen."

Griffiths' insistence on this will doubtless see him butt heads with the Saudi-led coalition, which is simultaneously bombing Houthis, blocking sea and air aid routes and running its own large-scale humanitarian operation in Yemen.

In February 2018, United Nations Secretary‑General António Guterres appointed Martin Griffiths of the United Kingdom as his Special Envoy for Yemen. Mr. Griffiths brings extensive experience in conflict resolution, negotiation, mediation and humanitarian affairs, having worked with the UN and other International Organizations. He was also the founding Director of the Centre for Humanitarian Dialogue in Geneva, where he specialized in developing political dialogue between governments and insurgents in a range of countries across Asia, Africa and Europe.

Thank you so much, progpen, for your quite excellent information.

However, do you think Mr Martin will be interested in discussing the case of South Yemen, which originally has been raised since 1994 after the former legeal president of People's Democratic Republic of Yemen announced the disengagement since the Yemeni Union was not as it was promised to be by the leader of the South and North Yemen?

With his history and experience, it is expected that he is working to get all parties to the table to talk. We would actually have to guess at reasons that he might not want to succeed. There is no indication that he is playing favorites or wants one side to win over the others.

Topic: Russian thugs at work
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2018 7:25:31 AM
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
Russians, though, are not the only ones to have used casus belli.

You are correct. The US is quite familiar with this excuse.

Posted: Friday, November 30, 2018 6:06:32 AM
The Russians are emboldened since they have a puppet in the US White House.

Topic: "Nationalism"?
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2018 5:00:26 AM
https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/who-martin-griffiths-yemens-new-un-envoy-1120969214
http://ye.one.un.org/content/unct/yemen/en/home/about-us/SESG.html
Some information regarding Martin Griffiths.

Newly appointed Special Envoy for #Yemen Martin Griffiths emphasizes importance of creating better sustained conversation btwn humanitarian negotiators & political mediators in conflict zones pic.twitter.com/ZylQx2MeBU

— Anna Samulski (@a_samulski) February 20, 2018

"Humanitarian negotiation and political mediation are two different strands," said Griffiths, 67, a married father of two. "They need to be carried out by different people and they should not be integrated and ... will continue to be so, I'm sure, in Yemen."

Griffiths' insistence on this will doubtless see him butt heads with the Saudi-led coalition, which is simultaneously bombing Houthis, blocking sea and air aid routes and running its own large-scale humanitarian operation in Yemen.

In February 2018, United Nations Secretary‑General António Guterres appointed Martin Griffiths of the United Kingdom as his Special Envoy for Yemen. Mr. Griffiths brings extensive experience in conflict resolution, negotiation, mediation and humanitarian affairs, having worked with the UN and other International Organizations. He was also the founding Director of the Centre for Humanitarian Dialogue in Geneva, where he specialized in developing political dialogue between governments and insurgents in a range of countries across Asia, Africa and Europe.

Posted: Friday, November 30, 2018 4:55:01 AM
There are many places that this would not be allowed and this should be one of them.

Topic: Pots and Kettless
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2018 12:42:08 AM
We don't always have to read the minds of others to be able to read their actions as those of people who are afraid.

Topic: Regenerative farming slowly gains new ground.
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2018 9:39:29 AM
The thing to keep in mind is that the special processes that are needed in order to be able to confine livestock like this also require a significant amount of chemicals (antibiotics and other medicines) due to the unnaturally close proximity of the animals for the duration of their lives. All of these chemicals and procedures are subsidized by the US government (the farm corporations get tax reductions).

One other item is the link to this site, which seems to have gotten buried under the pictures.
https://freefromharm.org/eggfacts/

I don't think that veganism is the answer for everyone, but I do believe that if you know where your food comes from and how live animals are processed in order to make your food, you may make different choices.

Topic: Regenerative farming slowly gains new ground.
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2018 5:20:47 AM
https://awionline.org/content/inhumane-practices-factory-farms
As far as I know, these practices are not legal in the UK.

Some info on factory farming.
https://www.mercola.com/infographics/truth-about-factory-farms.htm

Here are some idyllic pictures of livestock confinements.

And here are some not so idyllic.

https://freefromharm.org/eggfacts/

A twitter hashtag with videos and pictures of the debeaking process.
https://twitter.com/hashtag/debeaking

Topic: Man at yogurt shop doing his job asked to leave for being black.
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2018 8:47:13 AM
Mactoria, I guess I don't see it exactly the same, but I can imagine that a black man with a white woman and child would raise eyebrows in certain areas. I don't at all buy the employee's description of his actions, but I'm sure that if they were afraid then any of his actions might feel threatening. The fact that he arrived with the white woman and child can't be overstressed. Social workers are put in uncomfortable situations so if this was one of those times I can imagine him looking uncomfortable as well. I don't think a poker face is something that social workers have extensive training in.

That said, if he noticed that the employees were staring at him or seemed uncomfortable around him, he should have let them know what he was doing. Most likely, he didn't even notice them.

Romany. This is another case where only the most egregious a$$hats make it into the international news cycle. I've lived and worked in far too many melting pots in the US to think that these moral deviants are the norm, but just like anywhere else in the world, they tend to be the loudest. They also tend to have the money.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.