User Name: progpen
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 1,837
[0.20% of all post / 1.69 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: By humbly and frankly acknowledging yourself to be in the wrong, there is no knowing, my son, what good you may do.
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2018 9:31:50 AM
Pantuflas wrote:
Does anyone even do such a thing anymore?

People are too busy blaming someone else for what they themselves have done.

Where is the maturity and responsibility (not to mention integrity) in that?

It does exist. We don't often see it though because it doesn't make the news.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
Topic: The orange haired golfing menace
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 8:53:22 AM
Y111 wrote:
progpen wrote:
Opponent? We are participating in two very different activities.

Yes, I am talking to you and you are talking to yourself.

Applause Applause Applause

Topic: Do We Define Ourselves By Our Beliefs - Or What We Despise?
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 8:46:03 AM
Kirill Vorobyov wrote:
progpen wrote:

Actually, as someone who has watched it from the inside for the past 30 years it is not a mystery. The country has allowed tens of billions of dollars to flood our election campaigns as well as let corporate interests buy (first indirectly, then directly) state and federal politicians. Those politicians then take their orders from the corporate lobby and say what they are told to say as well as vote the way they are told to vote. This is not just one party, but both, so the only opposition that is ever seen in Washington DC is that of differing corporate interests that are competing for the same free tax dollars.

I see, thank you. But then I would think you'd welcome Trump's presidency, as he financed his campaign himself, so he is not dependent on any donors' money. However, forgive me if I'm wrong, from what you say on this forum I understand you are one of those (many) here who, well, are not particularly fond of Trump being the President. So if it's not about his dependency on corporate donors, I wonder what is wrong with him in your view (if that's your view).

Hi Kirill. My view is primarily that Trump has become the personification of our broken government and it's broken election system. When he began his presidential campaign, I did not dismiss him because I knew that he was a natural progression from Reagan and George W. Bush. I also know that he is not the worst that this country will see. I could sit back and say, "Well, this is just the way it is and there's nothing I can do", or I can try to change things by what I say and what I do. I believe that information is power and the more we dispense information about the broken system, the more difficult it is for the rest of the country to ignore it.

Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 8:09:39 AM
Y111 wrote:
progpen wrote:
I'm sure Y111 knew I was being sarcastic, just as he is being intentionally obtuse.

And you are being obtuse unintentionally? ;) Yes, I knew you were sarcastic, but how is it relevant to what I've been talking about? You are a very evasive opponent. Now you aren't even replying to me directly. OK, I'm not going to insist, it's clearly a waste of time.

Opponent? We are participating in two very different activities.

Topic: Trump is Taking Children from Parents Who Are Asylum Seekers
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2018 7:36:35 PM
Hope123 wrote:
Now the records of the kids have disappeared. WTF? What is going on?

As disgusting as this is, it should not surprise anyone who is paying attention. One thing that we should keep in mind is if they can make such high profile information disappear, how easy will it be for them to make other low profile information disappear. These people are at the highest levels of government and have no loyalty to the country or its citizens. They feel no responsibility outside the fulfillment of their own desires.

The current administration is that bright and shining proof to the world that the US is not capable of learning from the past.

Posted: Monday, July 30, 2018 7:29:44 PM
Hope123 wrote:
It's easy to "learn your place" when you are afraid the government will kill you. Whistle

Applause Applause Applause

Posted: Monday, July 30, 2018 7:17:26 PM
Helenej wrote:
Y111 wrote:
So what you are saying is that maybe you should change your mind and start thinking about yourselves the way the citizens of some other countries think about themselves.

Come on, Y111, it is obvious that progpen was being sarcastic saying that American people should learn their place and keep quiet like the citizens of some other countries.

I'm sure Y111 knew I was being sarcastic, just as he is being intentionally obtuse. It's a game.

Topic: Icelandic People Love Guns But No Gun Murder Since 2007! Here's Why.
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2018 7:24:36 AM
Thank you Thar. I think that was pretty spot on. I do believe that in the US, there is another variable that may not factor into many other countries. In the US, there are several industries with many billions of dollars of revenue each year that exist solely to sell guns and to legitimize their use against other people. This might be rolled into the culture and humanity portion of your post, but I feel that it is separate because the money changes people's culture and humanity.

Posted: Monday, July 30, 2018 6:48:50 AM
Y111 wrote:
progpen wrote:
Y111 wrote:
Well, you yourself seem to believe you know what the citizens of some other countries think

Not sure where you got that idea, but not from me.

Didn't you say they keep quiet because they have learned their place?

No, I did not. I said, maybe we should learn our place. This as a reply to your comment, and just like Helenj said, it isn't about knowing what people think, it's about seeing how they act.

Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2018 8:42:47 PM
Y111 wrote:
Well, you yourself seem to believe you know what the citizens of some other countries think

Not sure where you got that idea, but not from me.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.