User Name: progpen
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Home Page
Number of Posts: 1,656
[0.19% of all post / 1.83 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Gerrymandering and how to defeat it
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2018 9:14:14 AM
As soon as gerrymandering became a political weapon it became a danger to the country. The act of drawing voter districts should never have been allowed anywhere near a politician or political entity. To think that anyone ever thought it a good idea is beyond belief.

One thing that I believe gets overlooked is that the voting districts primarily affect local and state elections, not necessarily federal.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
Topic: Superiority Complex.
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2018 9:01:24 AM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
...the obsession to make nothing of others.

Beautifully put.

Topic: Cambridge Analytica Exposed !!!
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2018 7:15:32 PM

Actually, a very good overview of the difference between Obama's use and Trump's use of big data. I'm not at all surprised that the false equivalence is coming out of the woodwork because it is actually very easy to oversimplify the issue. I also think the fact that political interest groups, corporate interest groups, nationalist interest groups, etc. have been 20 steps ahead of any oversight is reason enough not to use internet resources that pander to these interest groups.

It's all about capitalism. Your data and your privacy have monetary value. All those interest groups know it. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. know it.

The Obama campaign gathered data that was volunteered by the end user, who was fully engaged and knew who and what they were involved in.

The Trump campaign hired Cambridge Analytica, a company that was already known for mining data that had been stolen from users who had not volunteered their data and were never notified that the initial research project had been replaced by a global political entity.

That said, as long as Internet users do not value their own privacy or data, there will be a market for it. When those users begin to put a value on their data and protect it because of that value then the market will look for something else. Cambridge Analytica didn't steal the data of 50 million Facebook users because it was worthless. They were just able to steal it because most of the users thought their data was worthless.

Topic: Cambridge Analytica Exposed !!!
Posted: Tuesday, March 20, 2018 8:58:54 AM
This reaches far beyond the US borders. These people have done much worse to other countries.

He then appeared to prove that ability to hide in the shadows by discussing the company's work in Kenya. Despite publicly claiming that it had nothing to do with elections in Kenya, Turnbull was caught on tape boasting about the significant role the company had played.

"We have rebranded the entire party twice, written their manifesto… messaging… just about every element of his campaign," he boasted.

Topic: Could It Really Happen That Way?
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2018 7:58:52 AM
Margarit Bamllari wrote:
According to several news media outlet (both sides) Kim Young-un and Donald J. Trump will meet sometime in May. If that thing will ever happen, who brokered the deal? Is there any hope to see the so long waited detente?

Although it would be wonderful to have some path forward from a meeting, it is not likely that a meeting between these two would produce anything but fodder for the comedians, cringeworthy posturing and the Doomsday Clock moving a minute closer.

Neither man possesses the necessary understanding of diplomacy, world politics or even a tangential comprehension of how a nuclear war would affect them personally, let alone affect the world.

Topic: Superiority Complex.
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2018 12:00:19 AM
FD is right that whether the trait is good or bad depends on the results of the person's actions.

I do believe though that true self confidence and self esteem will not lead to a superiority complex. If a person has self esteem and self confidence they will not need to compare themselves to others, which means they will not need to feel superior to others. It is usually a lack of self esteem and confidence that will result in a person constantly comparing themselves to others and the insecurity from that leads to actions that might be labeled as a superiority complex.

Topic: International Women's Day
Posted: Friday, March 09, 2018 7:42:46 AM
I agree with Lotje. There are regional women's sports teams in the US that pull in larger crowds than the men's team, mostly because the women's team has a better record. That tends to make them more popular and more fun to watch. But that is not an easy thing as it breaks tradition and it takes more of an effort to become accustomed to following a team that looks different and plays differently.

Posted: Thursday, March 08, 2018 6:22:03 PM
Sarrriesfan wrote:
Romany wrote:

I guess when women's matches start pulling in the same crowds and generating the millions of quid that male footie matches do, there'd be no reason not to pay them the same?

Yes precisely Romany.

I am the son of a woman who was widowed with three boys under the age of 10 in the 1970s, Mum worked really hard to make sure we had all the things she could provide for us. I am all for women receiving equal pay for work of equal value.

My parents divorced in the late 80's and she (my mom) had a terrible time initially because she didn't have anything in her name. Everything was in dad's name, the house, car, bank accounts. Mom didn't have any credit even though she was the one keeping dad's books for 25 years.

Posted: Thursday, March 08, 2018 12:27:28 PM
TMe wrote:
On Women's Day, I wanna know how many women have exempted maids from house-hold chores or other duties?

Maids? You must run in different circles than I do. We clean our own stuff.

Posted: Thursday, March 08, 2018 12:16:59 PM
Shameless plug:

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.