Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 2,582
[0.26% of all post / 1.50 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Formal word for "bullshit"
Posted: Tuesday, June 2, 2020 7:43:05 AM
Dukul wrote:
Is there any formal word which I can use instead of "bullshit"?

"Bullshit" is considered a vulgar slang.

The choice of word to convey a similar sense will depend on the context. Some words are:

rubbish, bunk, trash, nonsense, bunkum, bull, crap, guff, gibberish, balderdash, claptrap, blarney, baloney, blather, tripe, drivel, gobbledygook, piffle, malarkey, phooey, poppycock, prattle, palaver, jabber, codswallop and hogwash.

There are many more equivalent words. Some of the words are used in informal English. You will need to look up some good dictionaries to decide on your choice based on the context.

I hope it helps.

Topic: present perfect?
Posted: Tuesday, June 2, 2020 7:08:04 AM
Ivan Fadeev wrote:
Which one is correct?

"You are in a hospital - you had a car accident while driving fast, I'm afraid. Were you trying to catch a train?"

"You are in a hospital - you have had a car accident while driving fast, I'm afraid. Were you trying to catch a train?"

At the outset, I wish if you could also include your opinion om when and in what situations you intend to use the sentences. Without it, you are leaving it the imagination of the poster, who endeavors to imagine the varied situations to somehow fit the given sentences.

In the given case, both sentences are possible. Sentence 1 looks more plausible when the individual is out of the hospital. Sentence 2 is appropriate when the individual is probably still in the hospital.

If there is any other situation in your mind, please mention it. The suggestions can always be reconsidered. As a general rule, if the event/situation is affecting or is connected with the present scenario, the use of present perfect is the preferred choice. On the other hand, if the situation/action/event is complete in the past time frame and not connected with the present (= now), the use of simple past is preferred.
Topic: It's greasy.
Posted: Monday, June 1, 2020 3:30:22 AM
bihunsedap wrote:
The pork belly fat layer was too much.
It's greasy.

Does greasy used correctly here.?

I don't eat pork. However, I know that pork belly has a high level of fat in relation to lean meat. Certain breeds of pigs have a fat to meat ratio of 3:1.

So, I guess you should merely say:

- The layer of fat (= fat layer) in the pork belly was excessive. OR
- This pork belly has high fat content / That pork belly had high fat content.

The sense of "greasy" is already included in these sentence.

Let's see what others have to say in order to come closer to your intended sense.

Topic: Say something WITH? an Indian accent?
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2020 8:44:18 AM
coag wrote:
I have a question with regard to the use of articles.
How do the following sentences sound to native English speakers?

2. Say something with the Indian accent.
3. Say something with Indian accent.

Acceptable? Wrong?

Sentence 2 is unlikely to be heard during such a request.

Sentence 3 is possible. It implies that there is just one accent. However, you are more likely to hear "with an Indian accent" since there are many accents in India. After all, India is a large country and several States have their unique accents. The speaker wants the listener to speak in one of the many Indian accents.
Topic: teach in/at
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2020 11:16:46 AM
sb70012 wrote:
Why didn't you use "will"?

I'm in China. Schools are about to reopen. Every teacher will teach in a different school. Because of this I want to use "will" because it's future happening.

Romany has suggested: "Where will you be teaching?"
tautophile has suggested: "What school do you teach at?"

Let me try to explain the use of "where". It is an open question when the options are not known "Which" is used when a limited number of options have already been mentioned and the speaker seeks a response from the alternatives already mentioned choices. The question "What school do you teach at?" is in simple present. It implies that the listener is already teaching. I don't think this is the case in your question. In my view, the speaker wishes to know about a future event and it does not pertain to an ongoing activity. So, the use of "which" is grammatically correct. However, the use of "where" sounds more natural if it is not intended to limit the response/answer to the few mentioned choices/options.

Your original question is "Which school will you teach.....?" To talk about a new future event, you can use "will". It has been my experience that this is often the case in formal announcements of future plans. This is future indefinite tense. In conversations, it is usual to use present continuous or even future continuous when the question pertains to intentions. Present continuous tense is a particularly useful interrogative form as it is considered more polite.

- Where will you be teaching?
_ Which school are you going to teach? (It implies that the decision has already been made and that it will probably start quite soon.)

I hope it helps.

Topic: Improvement of sentence
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2020 9:07:44 AM
FounDit wrote:

A 17-year-old girl was among 11 teenage Singaporeans who appeared in court on Wednesday (May 27) after they allegedly armed themselves with knives, despite circuit breaker measures, and left their homes for a "settlement talk".

However, I'm not sure what the "circuit breaker measures" were, or what the "settlement talk" was supposed to accomplish. Apparently, none of those things were effective.

I would prefer to write the sentence as:

- A 17-year-old girl and 10 other teenage Singaporeans were presented before the court on Wednesday (May 27) since they were accused of leaving their houses during "circuit breaker" restrictions for a "settlement talk" after arming themselves with knives.

Other variations are possible if the long complex is split and more details of the case are known.

I infer that "circuit breaker" measures refer to the restrictions imposed in Singapore in order to break the chain of transmissions of Covid-19 in the community. "Settlement talks" refers to the talks to settle the differences with the opposing groups.

Topic: To or For
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2020 8:14:56 AM
Dubai wrote:
Hi Dear Forum members.
May you kindly help me with the correction of the following sentence.
Is it correct? if not, may you kindly guide me on how to write it correctly?
Thank you.

It is good that we hired Mr. Smith for teaching the children.
It is good that we hired Mr. Smith to teach the children.

In the above sentence, do we need to use "that" after the good or not? Which one is the most suitable " for" or "to"?

Regards.

So kind of you.

The usual expression is "hire somebody to do something". The pattern uses "to infinitive".

Sentence 2 is acceptable. I would not use your first sentence.

You can use the preposition "for" in the pattern "hire something/somebody + for + noun" as in:

- I hired a car for two weeks.

- My friend hired a boat for the trip.

- I hired Mr ABC for the job.

- The principal had to hire someone for the job.

In formal English, we use the pattern "to be verb + adjective + that-clause" to express opinions and feelings. However, you may come across speakers who do not use "that". This is usually the case in spoken or informal English.

Topic: Single or many
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 6:47:23 AM
Joe Kim wrote:
1. A lot of TNT explodes in time.
2. A lot of TNT (bomb) explode in time.

Explodes or explode, which is correct?

_________

Without going into the merit or demerit of your sentence, I would prefer to focus on the generally accepted rule on subject-verb agreement. It is:

1. A lot of + uncountable noun ... use singular verb (i.e. with "s")

2. A lot of + plural countable noun ... use plural verb (i.e. without "s")

Now, decide if TNT is countable or not. It is uncountable. So, follow pattern 1.

You would need to explain what you mean by using "in time". My comments will be based on your response.
Topic: teach in/at
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 6:39:19 AM
sb70012 wrote:
Hello,

I know that "at school" is British and "in school" is American.

Suppose I want to ask someone the following question who is a teacher:

Which school will you teach.....?

In the blank what preposition should I use? in or at?

Thank you.

My view on the use of "at" and "in" has been mentioned in the other post.

I would prefer to use "at" since my focus is on location/place. My focus is not on "inside/outside". However, you will find speakers who use "in" in the given context.
Topic: eat at/in/the school
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 6:34:00 AM
sb70012 wrote:
Hello,
I know that "at school" is British and "in school" is American.

I have two questions:

Suppose we are asking a student the following question:

Do you eat .... school?
at in at the in the

And here, suppose we are asking a teacher the following question:

Do you eat .... school?
at in at the in the

What preposition should I use in these two contexts for the teacher and student?

Thank you.

In the given context, I use the following tip:

The preposition "in" is used when you are talking about a position or place, when something or someone is inside a larger thing such as a room. The sense of "in" is "inside" and the opposite sense is conveyed by "outside". "At" is used when you are talking about a place or location.

The use of either "at" or "in" is correct. The choice of preposition depends on your intended sense. In my view, the focus in both the sentences is on place/location of action and not on "inside/outside" the school. So, "at" is my preferred choice. If you feel that your desired sense is conveyed by "inside" or "outside" etc, the preposition "in" should serve the purpose. You will also come across speakers who use "in" when "at" should be appropriate. The use of "the" in the other two options is not required in the given context.