Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 2,833
[0.27% of all post / 1.39 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: unit vs flat
Posted: Saturday, April 17, 2021 12:17:43 PM
Koh Elaine wrote:
The fire occurred at Block 204A, Compassvale Drive, in a unit on the fourth floor. Responding to media queries, the Singapore Civil Defence Force said that it was alerted to the emergency at midnight.

The word "unit" refers to a flat.

Do native speakers use "unit" to mean "flat"?

Thanks!

" Flat" is the usual word in British English. In American English, "apartment" is also used. As known to me, "unit" is used in Australian English to convey the same sense.
Topic: a face mask/masks
Posted: Saturday, April 17, 2021 11:33:16 AM
Koh Elaine wrote:
Would everyone wearing face masks help us slow the pandemic?

Should it be “everyone wearing a face mask” instead?

Thanks.

"A face mask" is correct. Change "a face mask" to "a T-shirt" and check! It is a different matter, that in some countries, the population is being encouraged to wear two masks for better protection. In such a case, the plural form is correct.
Topic: serve
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2021 12:00:05 PM
Tara2 wrote:
Can you please explain 'serve'?
Such an algorithm is generally not interesting by itself--it is neither practical nor particularly elegant from a mathematical viewpoint. However, it does serve to show that an impossibility result cannot be proved.

One meaning of "serve" is "be of use in achieving or satisfying". In this sentence, " serve" means "fit the bill; meet the requirement; is good enough".

Topic: He’s always going on about money.
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2021 11:43:28 AM
onsen wrote:
Hello,

Quote:

A. He’s always going on about money.
B. I don’t know what you’re on about!

be/go/keep on about something

What are the parts of speech of the 'on' in the above two sentences A and B?

Thank you.

Look at the words "on" and the next word "about". Both these words can function as prepositions. In this sentence, " about' is a preposition. Two prepositions are not placed together. When you are faced with such a situation, it is usual to consider the first preposition as an adverb. So, in the given sentences, "on" is functioning as an adverb.
Topic: bounds
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2021 2:25:43 PM
Tara2 wrote:
Many thanks thar!!!
Sorry so is 'bound' like 'hold in place'? But this is in dictionary too? They say it's this:
1 Going or ready to go towards a specified place.
‘an express train bound for Edinburgh

But isn't this strange??

Here is the meaning of "bound" that fits your original query.

Source: Oxford Dictionary

‘the garden was bounded on the east by Swan Lane’

SYNONYMS
border, adjoin, abut, meet, touch
be next to, be adjacent to, be contiguous with, be connected to

"Bound" has other meanings too. It also means "going to".This is the meaning in your sentence regarding express train.
Topic: devoted
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2021 1:29:39 PM
Tara2 wrote:
What does 'devoted' mean here?

Computation proceeds in phases 1, 2, . . . , where each phase consists of n consecutive rounds. Each phase is devoted to the possible circulation, all the way around the ring, of a token carrying a particular UID.

Here it means: deals with; dedicated.
Topic: principles
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2021 2:56:16 PM
Jigneshbharati wrote:
Thank you. I got confused by the following:
The Principles for Digital Development are a set of nine guidelines for integrating best practices into technology-enabled development programs for international development and cooperation.[1
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principles_for_Digital_Development

Thank you! Are Principles and guidelines synonyms here?
A data security breach occurs when one of the principles of the Data Protection Act and/or confidentiality law is breached.
I saw the above in my Fire Safety training. What does "principle" mean here?
Sorry for asking the same question but just want to clear my doubt.

The word "Principles", "guidelines", and "rules" tend to be used somewhat interchangeably. I think that your query will get resolved after an understanding of the words "principles". "guidelines" and "standards" when they are used in the technical sense.

"Principle" is a fundamental/basic assumption or a very broad statement that is based on research. "Principles" tend to be very general and would apply pretty much across different technologies and systems. "Principles" provide a framework for development. However, these are not mandated. "Guidelines" are more specific to a device or system and they are proposed by manufacturers. "Guidelines" take advantage of practical experience, incorporate applicable experimental findings, and promote consistency among designers responsible for different parts of the system’s user interface. However, "guidelines" still allow interpretation. They become "standards" when their applicability is very tight and are mandated by "Standards Authority". Therefore, one can say that "guidelines" are less authoritative and more general in application in comparison to "standards".

The first sentence is: The Principles for Digital Development are a set of nine guidelines for integrating best practices into technology-enabled development programs for international development and cooperation.

Here, "Principles" means "(basic/fundamental) assumptions/rules". These would apply pretty much across different technologies and systems related to Digital Development. The word "guidelines" is more specific and refers to the points required for integrating best practices into technology-enabled development programs for international development and cooperation.

The second sentence is: A data security breach occurs when one of the principles of the Data Protection Act and/or confidentiality law is breached.

Here too, the word "principles" conveys the same meaning as in the first sentence. Therefore, in the given context, "principles" and "guidelines" are not exactly synonyms.

I hope it helps.
Topic: lend money with interest
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2021 1:21:24 PM
Ivan Fadeev wrote:
Is this correct?
He lends money with interest of 2 percent per month.

I would prefer to say:

- He lends money at an interest rate of 2 percent per month.
Topic: principles
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2021 8:52:10 AM
Jigneshbharati wrote:
Thank you! Could it mean guidelines in this example?

In my view, words like fundamentals and basis are closer to the intended sense. "Guidelines" is a general word and is closer to suggestions and advice. Here, a more specific word is required.
Topic: The woman got up off her knees and . . .
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2021 8:30:08 AM

About the following sentence:
The woman got up off her knees and went over to him.

What does the phrase 'get up off one’s knees' mean?