User Name: Born Villain
Forum Rank: Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 58
[0.01% of all post / 0.03 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Wound up - meaning
Posted: Thursday, January 9, 2020 8:33:35 AM
Thank you so much, Romany. Now this phrasal verb has become more clear to me!
Posted: Wednesday, January 8, 2020 7:28:01 AM
Thank you, thar! So we could say she summed up instead of she wound up, right?
Posted: Wednesday, January 8, 2020 6:01:31 AM
The following is an excerpt from 'The Silver Chair' by C.S. Lewis.
"So you see," she wound up, "you did see an old friend, just as Aslan said <...>"
What is the meaning of "wound up" here? I found one definition that might fit, but I'm still not sure:
wind up - to bring to or reach a conclusion: he wound up the proceedings.
Topic: Sounded cheek - The Chronicles of Narnia
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2019 8:06:01 AM
Thank you, everyone! That's what I thought - it's got to be an old-fashioned way of speaking.

No, thar, this is not a typo. Now I always check whether it is one after you have pointed out in one of my previous questions that it was bad OCR.

Special thank you to Romany for your detailed answer and an interesting anecdote :)

And Happy New Year's, guys! Let the new decade bring you a Miracle.
Topic: Sounded cheek - The Chronicles of Narnia
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2019 7:52:28 AM
The following sentence is from the The Silver Chair book by C. S. Lewis:
"He fell over the cliff," said Jill, and added, "Sir." She didn't know what else to call him, and it sounded cheek to call him nothing.

I thought cheek here was an adjective, but there are no dictionary entries for this word as one, so is it a noun, that means impertinent talk or behavior, then? The sentence "It sounds cheek" sounds weird to me))
Topic: Lying out - meaning
Posted: Thursday, December 5, 2019 7:44:22 AM
Thank you both for explaining and providing the pictures! Now I get what it means.
Topic: Lying out - meaning
Posted: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 11:38:42 AM
This is from C.S. Lewis' The Voyage of the Dawn Treader of his The Chronicles of Narnia book series:

Up aloft, the sailors were lying out along the yard trying to get control of the sail.

What does 'lying out' mean in this case? What were the sailors doing?
Topic: Meaning: rib table manners at all
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2019 10:32:25 AM
Thank you, thar!
Yep, my bad: it's Clive Staples Lewis, of course)) It does seem to be an optical recognition mistake. There were other typos in the e-book I'm reading, however, it didn't occur to me that "rib table manners at all" is one of them. You always help me out here on the forum, thar, thanks a lot!
Topic: Meaning: rib table manners at all
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2019 1:00:26 PM
I'm reading Prince Caspian by C.S. Clive, and I encountered a weird phrase that got me puzzled.

Excerpt from the book:
Really good grapes, firm and tight on the outside, but bursting into cool sweetness when you put them into your mouth, were one of the things the girls had never had quite enough of before. Here, there were more than anyone could possibly want, and rib table-manners at all.

What does "rib table manners at all" mean? I don't understand the meaning of the word "rib" here.
Thank you in advance!
Topic: I don't think so
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2019 1:49:43 PM
Hmm... Thanks for pointing this out alertec. And thank you hedy mmm for clarifying it for me. Damn this Tim Burton for bad wording))) Brick wall