User Name: zina antoaneta
Forum Rank: Member
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 95
[0.01% of all post / 0.41 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: The world is quickly bored by the recital of misfortune, and willingly avoids the sight of distress.
Posted: Friday, February 16, 2018 3:42:19 AM
That's why the homeless become invisible.
Topic: Jehovah's Witnesses
Posted: Tuesday, February 06, 2018 5:18:21 AM
"In April 2017, the Supreme Court of Russia labeled 'Jehovah's Witnesses an extremist organization, banned its activities in Russia and issued an order to confiscate the organization's assets."
I am sorry, I didn't know that!...
Topic: Rosa Parks (1913)
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2018 8:00:28 AM
I didn't know that she was pretty too! Different times. Now she wouldn't be allowed to remain pretty.
Topic: Just think what a dull world it would be if everyone was sensible.
Posted: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 4:04:16 AM
Daemon wrote:
Just think what a dull world it would be if everyone was sensible.

Lucy Maud Montgomery (1874-1942)

Just think what an unbearable world it would be if no one was sensible.
Topic: Just think what a dull world it would be if everyone was sensible.
Posted: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 3:56:56 AM
Topic: Men may keep a sort of level of good, but no man has ever been able to keep on one level of evil.
Posted: Friday, January 19, 2018 4:05:33 AM
Daemon wrote:
Men may keep a sort of level of good, but no man has ever been able to keep on one level of evil.

Gilbert Chesterton (1874-1936)

So true! And Chesterton just had the experience of the Total War concept of World War I. Not the horrors of the Fascism, of the Holocaust, of the Atomic Bombs. And of the hidden and traceless EVIL that can be done to people through technology.

I read this as: for people doing good is limited. Doing evil--limitless!
Topic: It was on one of those mornings, common in early spring, when the year, fickle and changeable in its youth like all other...
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2018 5:42:22 PM
Daemon wrote:
It was on one of those mornings, common in early spring, when the year, fickle and changeable in its youth like all other created things, is undecided whether to step backward into winter or forward into summer.

Charles Dickens (1812-1870)

Lovely quote, thank you!
Topic: But what is Government itself, but the greatest of all reflections on human nature?
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 1:13:26 PM
Daemon wrote:
But what is Government itself, but the greatest of all reflections on human nature?

James Madison (1751-1836)

Now I realize that I misread the quote. Madison said that the Government is the greatest reflection ON human nature not OF human nature. And so it is! It has always been that way.
Topic: The Herero and Namaqua Genocide
Posted: Friday, January 05, 2018 7:23:13 AM
What a story! So Hitler wasn't really that unique after all.
Topic: Sympathy constitutes friendship; but in love there is a sort of antipathy, or opposing passion. Each strives to be the other,...
Posted: Monday, January 01, 2018 4:07:19 PM
Bully_rus wrote:
Daemon wrote:
Sympathy constitutes friendship; but in love there is a sort of antipathy, or opposing passion. Each strives to be the other, and both together make up one whole.

Samuel Taylor Coleridge (1772-1834)

Why love is more demanding than friendship? Love has set more ambitious goals...

We think this way, don't we?
However, the happiest and most enduring marriages seem to be those in which the partners see each other as friends.
But antipathy is more igniting for the passion than friendship, isn't it?
Perhaps this is all written in our programme...

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.