Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 47
[0.01% of all post / 0.42 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Comparative Adverbs vs. Comparative Adjectives
Posted: Tuesday, October 17, 2017 10:44:06 PM
I like to keep track of the covered grammar topics;
however, the covered topics and the test results no longer show on my profile page.
Have I done something wrong or is this a new change across the board?
Topic: furtive persecution
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 11:59:25 PM
vkhu wrote:
Quote:
The females were less numerous than the males, and liable to much furtive persecution in spite of the monogamy the Law enjoined.

-The Island of Doctor Moreau

Here the narrator is talking about a bunch of Man Beasts.

I'm not sure I understood the "furtive persecution" part correctly. My understanding is that the females often get secretly abused. But that makes no sense. There are fewer females than males, and they practice monogamy. Wouldn't that mean the females are a scare resource and should be valued?

I like the "FURTIVE PERSECUTION" term as it encompasses so well the covert persecution of the targeted individuals (mostly women as well) in our times.
Topic: I believe that Virtue shows quite as well in rags and patches as she does in purple and fine linen.
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 1:53:54 PM
Daemon wrote:
I believe that Virtue shows quite as well in rags and patches as she does in purple and fine linen.

Charles Dickens (1812-1870)

It seems that I upset a lot of people with my previous comments.
I am sorry!
I wrote them for I had on my mind a reportage that CNN runs these days on the NFL trying to bring light on the human trafficking and child prostitution in the Dominican Republic. The sad part is that some of these children, like in a number of other poor countries, support their families this way. Am I going to judge these people as lacking virtue? Of course not! They become victims of their dire circumstances.
I believe that before we discuss the virtue of the poor, we should enable them to escape their poverty.
I have never meant to imply that the poor are less worthy than the more fortunate ones: many remarkable people came from humble beginnings.
Topic: I believe that Virtue shows quite as well in rags and patches as she does in purple and fine linen.
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 10:57:10 AM
Murali Mohan wrote:
Virtue is an attribute of man independent of his riches.

Poverty doesn't bring unhappiness; it brings degradation.
George Bernard Shaw

Although I personally met many poor and happy people in India.
The reason was perhaps that they lived among other poor people and had enough to get by.
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 2:21:11 AM
True.
However, poverty has been frequently and successfully viewed as a means to buy away one's virtue, for hunger is seldom its friend.
Topic: US Vice President Spiro Agnew Resigns (1973)
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2017 6:03:44 AM
Daemon wrote:
US Vice President Spiro Agnew Resigns (1973)

After being investigated for extortion and bribery allegedly committed while he was governor of Maryland, Agnew pleaded no contest to a charge of tax evasion and became the second US vice president to resign. President Richard Nixon then selected House Minority Leader Gerald Ford to replace Agnew. The following year, Nixon himself was forced to resign for his role in the Watergate scandal, making Ford president. Agnew's portrait was removed from the Maryland State House in 1979. Who put it back? More...
Topic: We have no right to distress any of God's creatures without a very good reason.
Posted: Saturday, October 07, 2017 1:53:46 PM
Could one be any more idealistic than this, I wonder...
Topic: Joel Emmanuel Hägglund, AKA Joe Hill (1879)
Posted: Saturday, October 07, 2017 1:47:41 PM
I see now why the powers that be so carefully and studiously vilify any pain in the neck activist: for they do not need any more martyrs.
Topic: It is not right to glory in the slain.
Posted: Thursday, October 05, 2017 11:25:36 PM
Boy with new toy.

Edwin Siyabonga Mnguni wrote:
philips daughter wrote:
Someone should tell Trump that.

Yup, he glorified how great is the F-35 stealth Fighter jets in his first official trip in a Hurricane-devastated Puerto Rico.
Topic: Could someone send me a link to yesterday's Grammar Lesson, please?
Posted: Tuesday, October 03, 2017 1:09:47 AM
zina.sabau60@gmai.com
Thank you!

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.