Profile: juno23
About
User Name: juno23
Forum Rank: Newbie
Statistics
Number of Posts: 39
[0.00% of all post / 0.02 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: We drink one another's health and spoil our own.
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2020 12:54:27 PM
I'd say, if you are an AA then stay away from wanting to give a toast for someone's health--avoid a "good reason".
Topic: The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it.
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2020 11:50:47 AM
Yes indeed. Just by the fact that we call it "temptation," to dark desire, we sure expect not a good result. Sorry Oscar.
Topic: The inward pleasure of imparting pleasure—that is the choicest of all.
Posted: Monday, May 4, 2020 12:02:57 PM
You could take his quote to mean that to pleasure oneself for the pleasure of others is the meaning of being happy. I do think that Nathaniel meant pleasure as being content with the conviction to do others what you want them to do unto you.
Topic: One solitary swallow does not make summer.
Posted: Thursday, July 7, 2016 9:19:47 AM
But it surely makes a very sad summer. Sancho Panza
Topic: There was an immeasurable distance between the quick and the dead: they did not seem to belong to the same species; and it...
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2016 10:55:07 AM
I have nothing to add but get points while doing it.
Topic: I never could have done what I have done, without the habits of punctuality, order, and diligence, without the determination...
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2016 8:51:32 AM
Just reading this quote makes feel already tired. Next.
Topic: The rain fell alike upon the just and upon the unjust, and for nothing was there a why and a wherefore.
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2016 9:04:35 AM
I like the rain because it refreshing after a hot, humid day down here.
Topic: There are books of which the backs and covers are by far the best parts.
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2016 12:17:31 PM
ay, indeed. There are people who are better to look at than to hear them talk.
Topic: There are books of which the backs and covers are by far the best parts.
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2016 12:16:03 PM
thar wrote:
This site, unfortunately, does not differentiate between things people say, and the words they give to the characters they write about. Shame on you

If the 'quote' is by an author, chances are it is not personal, it is literary.

Tfd is giving a lot of authors a bad name by leaving people thinking they said things they never did. Their characters did, in the context of the novel. Brick wall d'oh!

Dickens didn't say this. Mr Brownlow did.

And he was very nice!

Quote:
'There are a good many books, are there not, my boy?' said Mr. Brownlow, observing the curiosity with which Oliver surveyed the shelves that reached from the floor to the ceiling.

'A great number, sir,' replied Oliver. 'I never saw so many.'

'You shall read them, if you behave well,' said the old gentleman kindly; 'and you will like that, better than looking at the outsides,—that is, some cases; because there are books of which the backs and covers are by far the best parts.'

'I suppose they are those heavy ones, sir,' said Oliver, pointing to some large quartos, with a good deal of gilding about the binding.

'Not always those,' said the old gentleman, patting Oliver on the head, and smiling as he did so; 'there are other equally heavy ones, though of a much smaller size. How should you like to grow up a clever man, and write books, eh?'

'I think I would rather read them, sir,' replied Oliver.

'What! wouldn't you like to be a book-writer?' said the old gentleman.

Oliver considered a little while; and at last said, he should think it would be a much better thing to be a book-seller; upon which the old gentleman laughed heartily, and declared he had said a very good thing. Which Oliver felt glad to have done, though he by no means knew what it was.

Oliver Twist
or
The Parish Boy's Progress
by Charles Dickens.

Topic: A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2016 11:58:47 PM
Come on. This quote has nothing new that all of us experience at an early age of our life. We once, some of us, believed in Santa Clause and life was much fuller. But then we grew and now we know and life is not that much fun. Simplicity is in itself perfect. Complexity leave us rather empty for we know we will never arrive to one answer.