User Name: Wilmar (USA) 1M
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 4,048
[0.41% of all post / 2.29 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Émile François Zola (1840)
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2020 6:54:15 PM

Zola was the founder of French naturalism, a literary school that maintained that novel-writing should be scientific, appraising reality in terms of natural forces such as heredity or environment. Inspired by his readings in sociology and medicine, he applied his theory in a vast series of novels in which the characters are impartially observed and presented in minute, often sordid, detail. Zola also had an ardent zeal for social reform.
Topic: have got to (do something)
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2020 6:53:07 PM
Adyl Mouhei wrote:
You use have got to when you are saying that something is necessary or must happen in the way stated. In informal American English, the 'have' is sometimes omitted. [spoken] I'm not happy with the situation, but I've just got to accept it.

www.collinsdictionary.com › english › have-got-to-do-something

I'm not happy with the situation, but I have to accept it.

You NEVER say "have got".
Topic: Is "The clock is ticking" a metaphor or an idiom?
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2020 6:04:27 PM
TFD lists "(the) clock is ticking" as an idiom.
Topic: life vs lifetime
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2020 5:42:33 PM
What tautophile says is true.
Topic: Nowhere to be found
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2020 8:34:39 AM
It paints the purrr-fect picture for me, having owned 3 cats in the last 25 years.
Topic: genomics
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2020 8:33:13 AM
I do believe the question was regarding the grammar of the sentence, not a debate on evolution. There are other pages for that discussion. IMO
Topic: Modal Verbs that Indicate Ability
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2020 8:25:43 AM

Because modal auxiliary verbs can be quite similar in how they are used, it is sometimes unclear when it's more appropriate to use one instead of another. For instance, "can" and "could" can both be used to indicate physical, mental, or functional ability in doing something.
Topic: Ardashir I
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2020 8:25:17 AM

Ardashir I was the founder of the last pre-Islamic Persian dynasty, the Sassanid dynasty, which began in 224 CE and ended with the Arab conquest in 651. At its peak, the Sassanid Empire stretched from the Arabian peninsula to India. Ardashir established Zoroastrianism as the state religion and strengthened it by collecting sacred texts and empowering the priestly caste. In the latter years of his reign, he invaded what nearby Parthian kingdom allied with Persia's great rival to the west.
Topic: washed-out
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2020 8:24:46 AM

Definition: (adjective) Having lost freshness or brilliance of color.
Synonyms: bleached, faded
Usage: Michael is finally buying new jeans to replace that torn, washed-out pair he has been wearing for years.
Topic: have got to (do something)
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2020 8:23:45 AM
To be obligated, obliged, or required to (do something).

Anyone who says "have got" needs to be smacked down.

Allow me to fix these horrid samples for you.

I don't want to go to the family reunion, but I'm afraid I have to.
I have . to get this essay finished before Monday!