Profile: elemace
About
User Name: elemace
Forum Rank: Newbie
Statistics
Number of Posts: 8
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Now, here you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you...
Posted: Saturday, June 6, 2015 1:50:45 PM
What I like best in this dialogue is rarely quoted: "Well, in our country," said Alice, still panting a little, "you'd generally get to somewhere else -- if you ran very fast for a long time, as we've been doing."
"A slow sort of country!" said the Queen.

I'm still looking for that slow country... couldn't have dissapeared without a trace, could it?
Topic: Her pupils were at once her salvation and her despair. They gave her the means of supporting life, but they made life hardly...
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2015 11:29:08 AM
I will commiserate with the teacher if that was not in the world of Woodehouse. She is lucky that the tables are turned on the pupils in this one Angel
Topic: Hegel was right when he said that we learn from history that man can never learn anything from history.
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2015 10:57:49 AM
I love Shaw's work, but what is so great in misquoting Hegel who actually has said the "what experience and history teaches us is that nations and governments never learned anything from history..." (Lectures on the philosophy of history). Of course, translations from German are always tricky...
Topic: Wherever the standard of freedom and independence has been or shall be unfurled, there will her [America's] heart, her...
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2015 7:13:49 AM
Complicated, isn't it? The case when everyone is right and wrong at the same time, regardless of the opinion, because the answer is never universal, but dependent on the concrete situation and case... and always about the political aims pursued in an agressive form.
As for American involvement in the WWII - wonderful to illustrate the complexity. Russian ideologists claim that the USA intervened when Russians started winning the war out of fear that Europe will turn communist... This is not true, of course, the actual motives to get involved were much more complicated. But it is equally untrue to claim that the USA suffered most in the WWII just for the sake of noble ideals. And saying this, I would be very carefully separating political interests and the soldiers who actually laid their lives and fought the battles. The USA also did not win the war on its own, just as Russia did not "free" Europe.
Topic: oenology
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2015 6:09:55 AM
The Free Dictionary says that oenology - the wine study - is not correctly spelled and the correct spelling should be enology. I wonder which spelling rules apply here as the correct spelling is oenology, though enology is also a legitimized spelling, but appearing later in time and simplified.
Topic: Good news from Baghdad
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 7:18:46 AM
West never learns, East always suffers, one way or the other.
Topic: He that hath wife and children hath given hostages to fortune, for they are impediments to great enterprises, either of...
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2015 2:37:19 AM
True, but at the same time it shows how stupid the brightest men can be when they are prejudiced.
Topic: There is no instance of a nation benefiting from prolonged warfare.
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2015 6:07:51 AM
Not the USA, China or Russia if we understand nation as people. They do not benefit. Military industry and trade understood as the big nation will benefit every where, be it France, Iran or Argentina.