User Name: Absinthius
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 350
[0.04% of all post / 0.30 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: What Are the Most Counter-intuitive Facts?
Posted: Friday, July 13, 2018 4:24:40 AM
rmberwin wrote:
A peach is just a fuzzy nectarine.

Absolutely not! A nectarine is just a bald peach.

Look, how about this? Let's pretend we've had the row and I've won. See? It saves a lot of effort.
Topic: sitting US President
Posted: Wednesday, June 6, 2018 4:29:11 AM
Not only due to his advanced age, but also his unhealthy lifestyle and humongous ego make it hard for Trump to walk long distances or stand up straight for extended periods of time.

That's just my guess though.

Look, how about this? Let's pretend we've had the row and I've won. See? It saves a lot of effort.
Topic: On Political Correctness
Posted: Friday, June 1, 2018 6:40:40 AM
Y111 wrote:
I think he meant a level of privilege, not a level of value. To me it seems quite obvious.

FounDit wrote:
If whites are so privileged, wouldn't it be better to lift everyone else up to that level?

Sure, I can see your interpretation making sense for this one.

FounDit wrote:
which is to somehow bring all white people down to the level of people of color.

For this one, I can't really find a way to interpret as being just about priviledge, this seems to me just to be a very unsavory sentiment.

Now, just to be clear. From what I have read so far, I don't think that the second quote from FounDit reflects his personal beliefs. But I do think that on a topic that is already so sensitive to discuss, a phrase like this functions almost like a lightning rod. The following posts attest to that. Point only being that the language we choose to use directly impacts whether and how a discussion subsequently develops. So perhaps FounDit can address this point directly in order to get the discussion into a less finger-pointy direction.

Topic: The Real Memes
Posted: Friday, June 1, 2018 6:26:47 AM
Epiphileon wrote:
What I mean to say is that although we have an illusion of controlling the selection of our ideas and actions, I have yet to see an argument that explains how this could occur.

A tendency observed is that a majority of people are selectively chosing their news sources to reflect what they are already convinced of. Wouldn't that count as a way in which people actively control their ideas? I mean, preventing yourself to be exposed to other viewpoints is a solid way to prevent you from wavering from your convictions. Actively keeping things the same is also a form of control. I'm not convinced that this always happens conciously though. And current 'news-feeds' such as facebook cater this to people whether they want it or not.

Topic: On Political Correctness
Posted: Friday, June 1, 2018 3:33:30 AM
FounDit wrote:
So I'm actually advocating lifting everyone up to an equal level. But that idea seems to be beyond the comprehension of some here. When my listeners aren't capable of holding rational thoughts in their heads, or make an effort to understand what they hear, no dialogue can take place.

Your idea is noble, in a way. But don't you realize the implication of your phrasing? The phrasing that you advocate lifting anyone up to a level (or even your dissatisfaction of bringing people down a level) implies you think there are different levels of people that have inherently different values. Combining the fact that you use these phrases in the context of a discussion on 'race', you can't really be surprised that you see racism being brought up on that. Any nuance you add on top doesn't really dig you out of that hole.

Topic: Discarding of commas
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 11:01:47 AM
I have neven been able to really understand and remember all the rules regarding punctuation. I have therefore adopted a system where I use punctuation rather intuitively. I implement commas in a sentence wherever I would implement a slight pause whilst speaking. Probably not the proper way but meh, it sorta works sometimes.

Topic: What IS Emotional Courage?
Posted: Wednesday, February 7, 2018 5:20:35 AM
Sarrriesfan wrote:

I agree with some of what you say, but disagree with some points.

Unfortunately for some of us the answer to what makes us feel negative emotions or positive ones come to that, is not negative or positive experiences but a biochemistry that is different to many other people. The answer to why am "I feeling sad " is not that there is a real circumstance that makes me feel sad but a certain substance my body is running low and I will feel sad even if I was in the most positive situation possible. It's only when the imbalance in my body is corrected that I would feel,positive about that situation.

This is very true, but so hard to understand and empathize with. I have very similar experiences to what Sarriesfan describes. For some people, the brain biochemistry isn't regulated as narrowly and consistently as for others. This can trigger emotions that have no basis in what they are 'meant' to be a reaction to. A prime example of this is misophonia, a strange phenomenom indeed.

Misophonia is actually very common, but comes in many shapes and severities. The most iconic and mild forms are the feeling of 'goosebumps' when someone cracks their knuckles or scratches a blackboard. But there are also less conventional forms. I, for example, can not stand the sound of someone eating an apple. It's completely arbitrary as far as I can tell, no rational reason behind it and still very confusing to me. If someone in my vicinity bites into an apple, that sound triggers a feeling of rage in me. Not at all directed at anything, just the feeling. Apart from clenching my fists I have no other urges, no inclination to any kind of violence or confrontation, in that moment I don't even blame the person eating the apple. But for the durating of that meal I can not focus on anything else, just that sound is everything in the world to me.

I have tried to explain this many times, but of course people don't really get it. I share an office with 3 people at work, there is a strict no-apples rule in that room. I'm lucky it is something this easily avoidable.

Brain chemistry is a strange thing, emotions seem to be such a personal and profound thing. In reality they are just the effect of chemicals, easily manipulated but most people don't want to in the fear of 'not being who they really are'.

Topic: Fear mongering
Posted: Friday, December 15, 2017 9:52:42 AM
To be fair to Cruz The word 'Snowflake' as a social term has another meaning than the one Philips Daughter presents. The 'urban dictionary' defines it as:

Quote:
An extremely fragile individual -often, but not always associated with millennial's. Someone who has never faced any real adversity in life and therefore is easily traumatized by anything out of the ordinary or anything contradictory to their narrow views. They've been shielded from views and perspective that persuade right of center and have been immersed in liberal propaganda in the schools and from the media. They think they are very intelligent and gifted -because their mothers, teachers and left-leaning individuals have told them so their whole lives.

I have heard the term used to describe protesters against free speech that have apparently been haunting many universities in the US. A recent interview I saw referred to protesters that took offense to gender-specific pronouns as being 'snowflakes'.

I suspect Cruz was using the word in this way rather than the morbid definiton Philips Daughter has encountered on the web.

EDIT: For the record, I am not advocating use of this word nor should my post be confused with agreement to Cruz' tweet.

Topic: Journey of the Universe
Posted: Friday, December 15, 2017 3:52:46 AM
Litvinenko wrote:
What did apes evolve from?
Ad infinitum.

There you go! One of the most interesting topics to read up on, we know quite a lot about this nowadays.

Topic: Las Vegas
Posted: Thursday, November 30, 2017 7:17:06 AM
Listening, of course the problem is multi-faceted. But to solve a problem, you need to apply the right tools. As Hope already mentioned in this thread, the Dickey act prevents even researching the best way to handle this issue.

Therefore I would pose that the root of the problem lies with Americas attitude towards guns and all related manners. The moment anyone dares to even suggest that perhaps less access to guns could reduce the amount of gun violence you see that a very vocal (and very rich) group of Americans instantly jumps into the frey to obscure any kind of real discussion. Blaming it on whatever they can see without even accepting the possbility that mass gun ownership is at the very least partly to blame.

If the USA wants to prove these arguments to be wrong, lift the Dickey amendment and show it using objective research data. But for the love of [insert random deity] stop making excuses.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.