The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Profile: Absinthius
About
User Name: Absinthius
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Occupation: Molecular Biologist
Interests:
Gender: Male
Home Page
Statistics
Joined: Thursday, April 23, 2015
Last Visit: Monday, April 23, 2018 10:30:51 AM
Number of Posts: 345
[0.04% of all post / 0.31 posts per day]
Avatar
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Discarding of commas
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 11:01:47 AM
I have neven been able to really understand and remember all the rules regarding punctuation. I have therefore adopted a system where I use punctuation rather intuitively. I implement commas in a sentence wherever I would implement a slight pause whilst speaking. Probably not the proper way but meh, it sorta works sometimes.

Look, how about this? Let's pretend we've had the row and I've won. See? It saves a lot of effort.
Topic: What IS Emotional Courage?
Posted: Wednesday, February 7, 2018 5:20:35 AM
Sarrriesfan wrote:

I agree with some of what you say, but disagree with some points.

Unfortunately for some of us the answer to what makes us feel negative emotions or positive ones come to that, is not negative or positive experiences but a biochemistry that is different to many other people. The answer to why am "I feeling sad " is not that there is a real circumstance that makes me feel sad but a certain substance my body is running low and I will feel sad even if I was in the most positive situation possible. It's only when the imbalance in my body is corrected that I would feel,positive about that situation.


This is very true, but so hard to understand and empathize with. I have very similar experiences to what Sarriesfan describes. For some people, the brain biochemistry isn't regulated as narrowly and consistently as for others. This can trigger emotions that have no basis in what they are 'meant' to be a reaction to. A prime example of this is misophonia, a strange phenomenom indeed.

Misophonia is actually very common, but comes in many shapes and severities. The most iconic and mild forms are the feeling of 'goosebumps' when someone cracks their knuckles or scratches a blackboard. But there are also less conventional forms. I, for example, can not stand the sound of someone eating an apple. It's completely arbitrary as far as I can tell, no rational reason behind it and still very confusing to me. If someone in my vicinity bites into an apple, that sound triggers a feeling of rage in me. Not at all directed at anything, just the feeling. Apart from clenching my fists I have no other urges, no inclination to any kind of violence or confrontation, in that moment I don't even blame the person eating the apple. But for the durating of that meal I can not focus on anything else, just that sound is everything in the world to me.

I have tried to explain this many times, but of course people don't really get it. I share an office with 3 people at work, there is a strict no-apples rule in that room. I'm lucky it is something this easily avoidable.

Brain chemistry is a strange thing, emotions seem to be such a personal and profound thing. In reality they are just the effect of chemicals, easily manipulated but most people don't want to in the fear of 'not being who they really are'.

Look, how about this? Let's pretend we've had the row and I've won. See? It saves a lot of effort.
Topic: Fear mongering
Posted: Friday, December 15, 2017 9:52:42 AM
To be fair to Cruz The word 'Snowflake' as a social term has another meaning than the one Philips Daughter presents. The 'urban dictionary' defines it as:

Quote:
An extremely fragile individual -often, but not always associated with millennial's. Someone who has never faced any real adversity in life and therefore is easily traumatized by anything out of the ordinary or anything contradictory to their narrow views. They've been shielded from views and perspective that persuade right of center and have been immersed in liberal propaganda in the schools and from the media. They think they are very intelligent and gifted -because their mothers, teachers and left-leaning individuals have told them so their whole lives.


I have heard the term used to describe protesters against free speech that have apparently been haunting many universities in the US. A recent interview I saw referred to protesters that took offense to gender-specific pronouns as being 'snowflakes'.

I suspect Cruz was using the word in this way rather than the morbid definiton Philips Daughter has encountered on the web.

EDIT: For the record, I am not advocating use of this word nor should my post be confused with agreement to Cruz' tweet.

Look, how about this? Let's pretend we've had the row and I've won. See? It saves a lot of effort.
Topic: Journey of the Universe
Posted: Friday, December 15, 2017 3:52:46 AM
Litvinenko wrote:
What did apes evolve from?
Ad infinitum.


There you go! One of the most interesting topics to read up on, we know quite a lot about this nowadays.

Look, how about this? Let's pretend we've had the row and I've won. See? It saves a lot of effort.
Topic: Las Vegas
Posted: Thursday, November 30, 2017 7:17:06 AM
Listening, of course the problem is multi-faceted. But to solve a problem, you need to apply the right tools. As Hope already mentioned in this thread, the Dickey act prevents even researching the best way to handle this issue.

Therefore I would pose that the root of the problem lies with Americas attitude towards guns and all related manners. The moment anyone dares to even suggest that perhaps less access to guns could reduce the amount of gun violence you see that a very vocal (and very rich) group of Americans instantly jumps into the frey to obscure any kind of real discussion. Blaming it on whatever they can see without even accepting the possbility that mass gun ownership is at the very least partly to blame.

If the USA wants to prove these arguments to be wrong, lift the Dickey amendment and show it using objective research data. But for the love of [insert random deity] stop making excuses.

Look, how about this? Let's pretend we've had the row and I've won. See? It saves a lot of effort.
Topic: Las Vegas
Posted: Tuesday, November 28, 2017 3:23:58 AM
Listening . . . wrote:
Absinthius wrote:
Diazepam is a very broadly used drug that has been around for a long time. It is most known under the name Valium. Considering that this drug is used in many many countries, I think trying to pin any of this on Diazepam is a bit of a stretch. These kind of mass shootings seem to be much more prevalent in the US as compared to other parts of the Western world.
Unless prescriptions for benzodiazepines in the US are somehow more potent than in other parts of the world (I doubt that). I know quite a few people in the Netherlands that take this drug, it is very broadly used. Yet there luckily are not that many random, unprovoked acts of mass-killings in this country.

Not speaking for Drago, more as a general observation. It seems that people from the US go to great lenghts to find any kind of argument to claim that guns are not the problem. It is baffling, as I'm convinced that no other Western country has this strange obsession with owning tools made specifically for killing.

It's the easy acces to guns that is the biggest factor. The experiment has been done, we know this. There is a good reason that the entire Western world minus one does not allow for mass gun ownership.



I wouldn’t rule out the benzo side effect/ withdrawal / recovery as factor. Do some research where the patients are the guide - not the pharmaceutical companies. Listen (LISTEN!) to these stories- https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5SNRxxyIwIg
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iu_i0e-ceoA
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P86ilnhxs0k
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0Lfz3ztBebI
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NLp6PLC9sEw

Thousands more...

The research has yet to be started on this class of meds.


Just to be clear, the point of my post was to state that even the worst side effects of this drug are in no way to blame for mass shootings. A mass shooting like this one takes plannin and preparation. If the drug was really to blame we would see mass shootings in many many more countries. So using these side effects as an excuse or explanation for the tragedy that happened in Texas is little more than thinly veiled apologetics for gun ownership.

What makes mass shootings so much more prevalent in the US is the easy access to guns. Is this not obvious?

Look, how about this? Let's pretend we've had the row and I've won. See? It saves a lot of effort.
Topic: I am NOT a bastard
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2017 5:31:48 AM
Perhaps it is time to put this forum out of its misery, it is beyond saving at this point. Reading posts here has become a guilty pleasure, the constant bickering is midly entertaining but has no real educational value.

This site has some great people who have been fighting their hardest to keep a modicum of objectivity and rationality going, but let's face it.. The sheer volume of toxicity and ad hominem attacks drown out any civilized discourse that you try to uphold. It is honestly a bit heartbreaking to see people I genuinely respect stoop down to shocking lows and low-blows because of a webiste that moderators clearly can't even be bothered about.

Isn't it time that this site succombs to the exodus of rationality that we witness in many forums for discussion, e-based or otherwise?!

Look, how about this? Let's pretend we've had the row and I've won. See? It saves a lot of effort.
Topic: Las Vegas
Posted: Friday, October 20, 2017 8:17:39 AM
A brilliantly comical and, in my humble opinion, very well considered take on this topic is presented by John Oliver. For those who havent seen this, it is surprisingly informative!

He also talks about the Dicey amendmet that Hope mentioned in the post above.

Edit: Accidental typo in the name of the amendment, but it fits too well to correct.

Look, how about this? Let's pretend we've had the row and I've won. See? It saves a lot of effort.
Topic: Las Vegas
Posted: Friday, October 20, 2017 3:37:48 AM
Diazepam is a very broadly used drug that has been around for a long time. It is most known under the name Valium. Considering that this drug is used in many many countries, I think trying to pin any of this on Diazepam is a bit of a stretch. These kind of mass shootings seem to be much more prevalent in the US as compared to other parts of the Western world.
Unless prescriptions for benzodiazepines in the US are somehow more potent than in other parts of the world (I doubt that). I know quite a few people in the Netherlands that take this drug, it is very broadly used. Yet there luckily are not that many random, unprovoked acts of mass-killings in this country.

Not speaking for Drago, more as a general observation. It seems that people from the US go to great lenghts to find any kind of argument to claim that guns are not the problem. It is baffling, as I'm convinced that no other Western country has this strange obsession with owning tools made specifically for killing.

It's the easy acces to guns that is the biggest factor. The experiment has been done, we know this. There is a good reason that the entire Western world minus one does not allow for mass gun ownership.

Look, how about this? Let's pretend we've had the row and I've won. See? It saves a lot of effort.
Topic: Gun Violence by the Numbers
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2017 10:24:57 AM
Hope123 wrote:
(I know I will never be on THE "fair-minded" list, but I read the Parser's post anyhow". Whistle )


You rascal, you! Don't let papa-righteous catch you!

Look, how about this? Let's pretend we've had the row and I've won. See? It saves a lot of effort.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.