The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Profile: Hope123
About
User Name: Hope123
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests: Learning and Education, Art, Travel, Health, Swimming, Duplicate Bridge
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 7,600
[0.86% of all post / 6.74 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Scotland breaks offshore wind records with new turbines.
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2018 3:29:45 PM
Thanks, Proggy. Makes me feel a little better with that viewpoint.

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2018 12:19:52 PM
Digression - Proggy, do you think we can count on NASA's science re climate change any more with Jim Bridenstein overseeing it? He's anti-climate change and lacks the scientific expertise according to sources, but Repubs put him in anyhow.

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2018 12:13:31 PM
Thanks for the info, Proggy and Drago. Very interesting what a few square miles could do. And if it is in the middle of nowhere, there could be no NIMBYism.

This is a good example of what can be achieved for climate change innovations.

Topic: Barbara Bush 1925 -2018
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2018 2:06:39 PM
Thanks for explaining Drago. Ashwin, you just learned a native speaker's jargon. :) That's why I put it in quotation marks.

I was just saying that we all say something inappropriate and rather stupid at times when we open our mouths without engaging our brains. What BB said (I guess because I don't remember her exact words) did not show the empathy she usually showed when she was able back then to hold a child with AIDS when everybody was afraid of that disease. She had lost her own child and was able to empathize with those children and parents, but apparently was tone deaf about Katrina.

Thinking about her and the times back when she was First Lady gives me nostalgia for the more congenial times in US politics. Although the two groups fought fiercely for their own policies - and somerimes it got nasty - there was still a sense that "Hey, we're all Americans when it comes to certain values".That seems to be gone these days.

Gone not just in American politics. I wrote on this Forum a while ago that I was afraid Trumpism was going to spill over in to Canada. Well, it has. We have our own Trump Lite vying to be Premier of Ontario. Remember Ford, the notorious mayor of Toronto for a while? Well, his brother is now leader of the Conservative Party for Ontario and yesterday he stopped just short of saying "Lock her up" about Kathleen Wynne, the gay woman who is now Premier. She has done absolutely nothing illegal to deserve such bullying and she's not taking it sitting down. But the polls are all expecting him to win, even though he refuses to talk to the press and lay out any policies while she has done her best to help those struggling on the edge of society. And the press are helping him just as they did Trump in the US.

I remember a time in Canada when there were the governing party and the "Loyal Opposition". Not so these days. There is no respect and everybody is just out to make a point to score for their side with nasty heckling every day in the Legislature.

Sad for those of us who remember the values and the desire to put the country first. It is gone in the US and it is going in Canada. This post is not meant as a poitical statement but as someone missing the congeniality members of all parties in both countries had. Some were even friends outside of the politcal arena.

Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2018 9:25:06 AM
I have "foot-and-mouth" disease all the time. No one's life should be judged by one moment or one statement.

Topic: Canada's Grief
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 3:54:32 PM
Thanks for the India photo, TMe. So sad for all those families. There is no security on this earth and life can change in an instant no matter where or who you are.

Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 11:44:29 PM
I just saw the news that a Richmond Hill, Ontario, resident has started a GoFundMe for the victims of a bus crash in India that killed school children.

Toronto Star: "Sending love and hope’: Canadians support GoFundMe for Indian bus crash that happened 3 days after Humboldt

Twenty-three children under the age of 12 died when their speeding school bus plunged off a mountainside in the Indian state of Himachal Pradesh in the Himalayas, three days after the fatal bus crash in Saskatchewan.

Sakatchewan has contributed to that fund and India has contributed to the Saskatchewan one which is now over 13 million $ in ten days from global contributors.

Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 11:05:39 PM
I always admired Barbara Bush, wife of US President H.W. Bush for 73 years, and the work that she did while her husband was president, and since. Many people besides her family are tweeting and posting on Facebook the tributes she deserves. It is very nice to see comments from the Obamas saying how helpful the Bushes were while Obama was president, tributes from the Clintons, Preet Bahara, Dan Rather, and many others from both sides of the aisle.

"Bush's dedication to improving literacy rates became a hallmark of her time as first lady. In 1989, she founded the Barbara Bush Foundation for Family Literacy, which runs literacy programs for low-income families."

A true matriarch and classy woman. R.I.P. First Lady.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/stephaniemcneal/barbara-bush-has-died?utm_term=.uqBPrPK9g#.uyl1M1YxB

Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 9:08:11 PM

I just wanted to share this editorial cartoon that I love. The cartoon by Bruce MacKinnon, an award-winning cartoonist with the Halifax (Nova Scotia) Chronicle Herald, shows a hockey player dressed in the Humboldt Broncos green and gold slumped over on his skates with the word “Sask” across his back. He is supported by 10 other players dressed in red with the provinces’ short forms on their jerseys.

A week ago Friday in Saskatchewan a bus carrying the Broncos junior hockey team collided with a semi-truck killing 16 people — including 10 players between the ages of 16 and 21 and their young female athletic therapist - and injured another 13 passengers, some severely.

Every one with a hockey shirt in Canada - and that's pretty much everybody - wore their jersey to work a couple of days ago. Those who didn't have one, bought one. GoFundMe for the team was over 7 and a half million dollars, last I heard. The outpouring of grief and love throughout the whole country brought tears to the eyes of many,

Topic: DACA youth Stay or Go?
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2018 11:44:29 PM
Digression from DACA - Just under half of all immigrants in the US who are in the country illegally are Mexican nationals. Why don't we hear about the deportations of illegals from Canada, Germany, and other European or Scandinavian countries? Canadians make up over half of the overstays and overstays would be the easist to find because they have to give their personal info and American address upon entry. It certainly makes one wonder.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.