Profile: Hope123
About
User Name: Hope123
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 9,694
[0.95% of all post / 4.67 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Certainly in America you will need money for tips ...
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2020 9:25:19 PM
Interesting. I did not know there were different qualities of wool.

My mother knit our scarves, hats, and mittens when we were children. They could never figure out why every winter I got eczema around my neck. My mother used real wool in her knitting. Even now I can't wear wool for two minutes without it becoming very itchy. A shame as wool makes great products.

In Canada the government has mandated that Vitamin D must be added to milk - and all the dairies get the Vitamin D from lanolin. I checked.

Do the governments of other countries mandate Vitamin D must be added to milk?

I take a vitamin D supplement made from lichen and do not drink milk. I used to drink a quart a day as a young adult. Was even addicted to it. A cold glass of milk surely tasted good.

So even if I could have unadulterated milk there is none to be found anywhere. It is illegal for farmers to even give away unpasteurized pure milk.

As an aside - I ate turkey eggs in place of chicken eggs because of allergy (different botanical family) but several years ago now the government in all its wisdom mandated that since turkey eggs are not kept really cold because they are mostly used for breeding, that it is illegal for the turkey farmer to even give me a dozen turkey eggs.

Wow - from wool to lanolin to milk to turkey eggs. lol
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2020 10:27:59 PM
I agree with Tara. Thanks Thar.
Topic: shiver/quiver/tremble/quake/shake
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2020 3:33:05 PM
Not much.

The Free Dictionary - TFD - will help you. You can type each word in above and compare the nuances.
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2020 3:25:48 PM
I had never heard the term 'wether' without 'bell' in front of it.

What are the yellow and turquoise gadgets on the sheep? Just tags? But why two and of different colours?

The wool industry used to be even more important there than it is today, right?

I vaguely recall in a topic a long time ago that Thar and Drago told us how a word describing the area was used over and over again to name places. I don't think it was wether but it seems to be a trend to do that in certain areas there. But I guess we do that here too except it is usually trees.

Topic: I Wonder
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2020 11:34:00 AM
Drago, hope they didn't give Trump any more weird ideas! Whistle
Topic: low level violin learner
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2020 11:27:47 AM
Thanks, Drago for that post - and thanks to all other contributors! I learn something new every day on this Forum!
Topic: original vs original copy
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2020 11:23:47 AM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
Hi!
I see what you mean about a will not being a "publication" as such.

Also that "the original copy" could be considered redundant and equivalent to "the original".

I was, I suppose, mainly answering the posts in the other three threads which amount to NO! NEVER! "Original copy" is HERESY! 'Copy' only means "a duplicate fake" - which is a bit over the top for a grammar answer.

Agreed.
Topic: A Horse With No Name
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2020 11:58:07 PM

ROTFLMAO, Romany.

Guilty as charged. I considered not saying anything but thought I'd hit on the perfect way to say something nice and still tell the truth. But you know me too well.

Yes, I prefer new to old, but it was not history, as whether it is old or modern, I can't stand repetition.

You would think with some Norse blood in my DNA I would appreciate their musical history - but no. I found it monotonous noise and wonder how you even think while it is playing. (Sorry Thar and JJ.)

I also studied Latin for five years in high school and hated it. I do find it helpful now with deciphering English, Spanish, and even French new words. But I found that video to be monotonous repetition of words and the same phrase or two of music.

If there is one thing my whole body abhors, it is repetition. I suppose that is because of the ADD.

To me many of the modern songs aren't even music. Maybe it is not so strange I don't like 14thC rock because I never was much into the age of rock and roll or bands of my day, and only know such names as Beatles and Rolling Stones because they are so famous. Well, I like some of their songs but if asked would not know who sang which ones. My son and my grans think I'm weird. (I am, I guess.)

Sometimes when my husband likes a drum solo I'm wishing it would stop. He likes a guitarist from Spain called Juan d'Anyelica (we heard him in Cancún). He's obviously very talented but I don't like it. The songs they sing at churches these days are full of repetition. Even in my younger days at church, verse after verse of the same hymn I found boring. There is no purpose, rhyme, or rhythm to jazz - I guess that's why musicians like it - they can improvise.

I like Mozart but not Bach. I watch the Vienna Choir show every January 1st faithfully. Austria would be my favourite destination if I could travel.

I like calming instrumental music. I like music that's melodical, with interesting lyrics. As in Billy Joel's Piano Man "an old man makes love to his tonic and gin" and "when I wore a younger man's clothes". John's "smile ran away from his face". They are "sharing a drink they call loneliness"

"And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
And the microphone smells like a beer
And they sit at the bar and put bread in my jar
And say, "man, what are you doin' here?"

Billy Joel has a way with words - and music. That's my kind of music. I'm not deep enough for your friends.

Topic: low level violin learner
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2020 9:42:33 PM
I say my art is just a hobby. (And it is.)

Edited -to putter, amateur was mentioned, a novice
Topic: kids will be kids
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2020 9:38:38 PM
Ajike Omooba wrote:
Kids behave childishly or immaturely by nature, so it is unrealistic to expect otherwise.

Exactly!