Profile: Anita Snyder
About
User Name: Anita Snyder
Forum Rank: Newbie
Statistics
Number of Posts: 26
[0.00% of all post / 0.01 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: my sentences I made , correct or wrong? thank you.
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 9:44:26 PM
jennifer_bb5 wrote:
Today I want to try adding a content, some friends suggested that I recorded some interpretation of the course without Chinese. I decided to do it right now. I hope you can like it.

Today I want to try adding some content, as some friends suggested that I interpret the course without using Chinese. I have decided to do it right now. I hope you like it.
Topic: Did I ask the wrong question?
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 9:40:25 PM
to reiterate what hedy said;

"You've been naming them, right."

Is often an aggressive way for someone to ask this (if he posed this as a question)

Topic: How does one convert a statement in simple present tense into a question? I made an explanation in below, but I am not sure my e
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 9:20:35 PM
jennifer_bb5 wrote:
For example: This is your handbag. It's simple present tense, if we want to convert it into a question. then we need to transpose the verb "is" and the subject "this". The period should be changed into a question mark at the end. The subject-verb order in a question is inverted.
Do not advise your students to convert a statement to a question simply by adding a question mark. It is incorrect in standard English. In standard English, questions always use subject-verb inversion.
In speech, Yes and No questions have a rising tone, a statement has a neutral or falling tone.
For example Is this your coat? Answers: Yes, it is mine . or No, it is not my coat. Mine is red. Yes and No questions are rising tone. Except Yes-No questions , They all are falling tone. For example: Where is your coat? How did you tear your coat? When did you buy your coat?
The intonations for some questions can be rising, falling or neutral. It depends on the situation, what the speaker is emphasizing and how they are feeling.

I would say that all of the questions in your example have rising tone.

So this is wrong:
"Except Yes-No questions , They all are falling tone."
Topic: before read a lesson i tell people what should we pay attention. I wrote but I an not sure is correct or wrong, please.
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 9:16:14 PM
jennifer_bb5 wrote:
read and watch the video.before reading I will give you a question. after that= (after you listen and watch the video),please answer the question.The question is "whose handbag is it? " Whose is this handbag?
Lesson one----Excuse me ! Yes? Is this your handbag? Pardon? Is this your handbag? Yes it is. Thank you very much. So now can you answer this question? Whose handbag is it? The answer is the woman's.
The second question is ----Whose is this handbag? This sentence is correct?
The third question is ----If The sentence " Whose is this handbag" is correct. then Whose handbad is it?= Whose is this handbag?

Thank you very very much.

I am not actually sure which part you want to have corrected; there are mistakes everywhere.

"Read and watch the video. Before reading, I will give you a question. After that, please answer the question: "Whose handbag is it?"

so above, the instructions say "read and watch" but then the next sentence says "Before reading"; so the instructions are not clear to the reader.

Better:
"Please watch the video. After the video, I will give you a question."

[people watch video]

"Please answer the question: "Whose handbag is it?"

"Whose is this handbag?" This is totally wrong.

Another, although somewhat stuffy, way to say this is:

"To whom does this handbag belong?"
Topic: Are both sentences correct?
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 9:08:47 PM
Sentences 1, 2, and 3....

or the second

Sentences numbered 1, 2, and 3...
Topic: Which is the correct sentence?
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 9:06:15 PM
The more common (and less formal) way:

Drinking too much soda is bad for the teeth.

I generally only see excessive used when referring to alcohol.

and no one would say 'excessive usage of soda'
Topic: Dear liberls, from a Trump supporter.
Posted: Tuesday, February 7, 2017 2:12:12 PM

Quote:
which is far, far from a majority, or mandate.

Under the present system, Trump has as much right to consider himself duly elected as any American president in history. Carter's win over Ford was by 2% of the popular vote. Kennedy's over Nixon was a mere 0.17%. I don't recall Democrats worrying about the lack of a clear mandate for their candidate. (OK, I concede that Carter and Kennedy did get more votes than their opponents, but that does not change the fact that nearly 50% of the voters went for the other guy.) The American tradition has always been that the candidate who wins the most electoral college votes is the president. Simple.

Yes, and Carter had a devil of a time getting anything done.

The Republican demand that they have a mandate is quite frustrating. At what percentage of the popular vote could one consider 'a mandate'? I would say upwards of 70-75%.

This idea of a mandate is not supported by the fact that they have control of the House and Senate. The Republican party set out a number of years ago to gerrymander congressional districts so that white, conservative districts could remain safely Republican. Since the legislature draws the districts (and they do indeed look like abstract art), when Republicans have been in charge, they have protected themselves. This is a disciplined and nefarious approach that most 'liberls' would not think to do, just like the Democrats did not think to 'play' the electoral college the way the Republicans have.

You state that the Democrats did nothing during the Obama years to change the electoral college (and I would put the gerrymandered districts into that too), and that is because they could not. The system has developed in a way to maintain the status quo.

The Republicans in Washington did a ridiculous amount of work against almost everything Obama tried to do. However, the current Trump supporter does not see that, and now Trump himself attacks those who would oppose him. Since this is playing out in social media, it is there for everyone to see (instead of the 50 times the legislature tried to repeal the ACA).

There are machinations that "trump supporters" willfully refuse to see. Maybe they will wake up when they see that Trump has only bothered to take care of his own.
Topic: "Which variety of English should I learn?"
Posted: Tuesday, February 7, 2017 1:56:08 PM

One aspect not mentioned is that a language learner may want to imagine which country they may end up in. If you are learning English in a non-English speaking country, you learning curve is still going to be great once you land wherever you are going (short or long term). Just catching the accent and local idioms will be tough.

Since both the UK and the US are in populism tantrums right now that are overall anti-immigrant, you might not end up in either of these!

As for:

TheParser wrote:

4. I believe that it is time all English speakers had a standardized vocabulary. For example, the word "cookie" (a small, flat, round cake) should be the word that all English speakers in the world use for that snack -- in my opinion.

Good luck with that. Your profile does not list your current location nor background, but cookies (flat, round and sweet and often hard or crunchy but can also be more cake-like) in AE differ greatly from biscuits (tall, fluffy and savory), not to mention that we also have crackers (flat, round, savory and crunchy).

Some of this is going to be cultural and regional, due to the recipes that immigrants arrived with and the raw materials that were available.

TheParser wrote:

a. I believe that an international language should be as standardized as possible.

Esperanto, anyone? Languages are never going to be standardized because they live only because we speak them. And children learn much of their vernacular from parents, relatives, care givers, in their earliest years. That is why accents and regionalisms persist.

To me, the differences are small in the large picture, with cute differences along the way. The hardest part will be understanding pronunciation and catching the cadence.

as for 'revert' I wonder if that is something plugged into the email or letter form of the word processor. It is funny because most of the people that ever write 'regards' on their letters (to me) are Chinese - and I think they get it by using the MS Word form letter. Maybe it is a BE thing...

Topic: ...paying with/by cash
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2017 12:43:30 PM
Koh Elaine wrote:
Whether you are paying by your card or by cash, you can enjoy cheaper train and bus fares. The discounts are significant when you travel long distances.

I think 'paying by cash' is wrong. I believe paying with cash is correct in British English. If I'm correct, is it the same in American English?

Thanks.

If one phrase were standing alone, then yes, I would shorten/change it as others have said.

But with both together, and particularly if it were written or a commercial, I would say:

Whether you are paying by card or cash, you can enjoy cheaper train and bus fares. The discounts are significant when you travel long distances.

Removing the 'your' also makes it easier to say "by card or with cash.

The 'your' is unnecessary before card, both are 'yours' (your card or your cash). a useful modifier would be credit or debit

In the US, I think pay by cash has become popular since you can pay by card, although if someone answers the clerk, the may simply say "I will pay cash"
Topic: put one's love on somebody
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2017 11:39:23 AM
If you tried to use that as a pickup line in a bar, you would probably get slapped

(I don't know the song, but it has a slightly lewd tone)