Interests: Language in general, English in particular
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 4,187
[0.49% of all post / 4.05 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: The......The......
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 11:53:08 PM
The only "the" that is really needed is the one in "the manufacturing process".

The "the" before "production" certainly seems very much out of place, and should not be there.

The "the" before "automation" might or might not be appropriate, depending on context.

Topic: Will vs would
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 1:10:51 AM
It seems to be a shortened way of saying:

- "Do not park your car near the school; if you do, it will cause traffic congestion."

Topic: not a good time
Posted: Saturday, December 09, 2017 11:43:36 PM
"It's not a good time [for something]" is quite common, and means exactly what it says.

Topic: Is "laying" correct?
Posted: Saturday, December 09, 2017 11:41:12 PM
A lot of people misuse "laying" that way, but it's still a misuse.

Topic: Should "etc." be omitted?
Posted: Saturday, December 09, 2017 11:38:19 PM
Yes. It's not really needed, so don't put it in.

Topic: There (Preparatory/introductory subject/dummy subject)
Posted: Friday, December 08, 2017 5:52:29 PM
A cooperator wrote:
Could anyone please reply to me?
But, neither do I think that "several ways" is a subject, nor do I think that "an accident" is a subject. I think they are both identifiers since "to be" doesn't have an object. So, the verb agrees with the identifiers, and not with dummy subject "there".
I never ever heard that a verb agrees with what comes after it. On the contrary, a verb always agrees with the subject.

Also, why is the verb here in the statement below a singular although "a lot" following verb.
There’s a lot to consider when designing an online ad, such as the target audience, marketing objectives and brand experience. Create ads that address all these factors and stand out from the online noise.

══════════════════════════════════════════════

You may call them "identifiers", but they are indeed the subjects of their respective clauses. Whatever you call them, you're right that they do govern whether the associated verb needs to be singular or plural.

A verb does indeed agree with its subject, even when the subject comes after the verb. 
- "After the rain comes a rainbow; after the autumn come the storms of winter."

"A lot  ", by itself, is usually singular, as in "There's a lot to consider." But "a lot of  " can be either singular or plural, according to what follows it.
- "A lot of food goes to waste, even while a lot of people go hungry."

Topic: Pantywaist Parents ??
Posted: Friday, December 08, 2017 5:09:44 PM
"Pantywaist" is used by adults as "sissy" is used by children: basically an epithet for someone who is timid, indecisive or chronically fearful.

Topic: sentence correction
Posted: Friday, December 08, 2017 5:03:53 PM
As FounDit says, she rushed out "to avoid being noticed …".

Topic: What poisoned him ?
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 5:59:18 PM
"What was it that poisoned him?"

Topic: Denture
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 5:55:06 PM
I wear an upper denture, but it would more likely be called (informally) an "upper plate".

Technically, it's not actually a "plate", because it doesn't cover my palate. Thus it's a "partial".

My dentist insists on calling it an "appliance", presumably because it's removable. (My cousin used to have a partial upper denture which was permanently attached by "bridgework" to his remaining upper teeth.)

All of this just to say that we wouldn't really say "a denture for his upper teeth."

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.