[0.52% of all post / 3.73 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Why is "would" used?
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2018 9:54:15 PM
Presently speaking, let me say:

"That'll be enough!"

Topic: So him not scoring
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2018 9:38:39 PM
I'm resigned to it, though I still usually use the possessive form in my own speech and writing.

And I assume that "gun" (as an attributive adjective) is intended to mean "powerful". It's not something I'd say, and I hadn't heard it used that way, but the sense of it seems clear enough.

Topic: Which are the correct sentences?
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2018 9:09:22 PM
Koh Elaine wrote:
Thanks, NKM.

According to you, the following sentence is fine, tense-wise, but is it natural?

We will be most delighted if this booklet is helpful to all our readers

══════════════════════════════════════════════

It's natural enough, except that the word "most" seems a bit too much. (Gushingly over-formal?)

Topic: Which are the correct phrases in the above sentences?
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2018 9:00:11 PM
I don't really like any of them.

 "When I was in secondary school, my school was headed by Mr Meyer, the principal, who was an American."

Topic: Workout
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2018 8:53:57 PM
Elorac wrote:

Yes, I lift several cups of coffee every day.

But only one at a time, I trust.

Topic: seem or seems
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2018 8:51:01 PM
palapaguy wrote:
"...there seems to be no issues between..." is correct IMHO. One could write, also correctly, "it seems there are no issues."

"Seems" refers not to "issues," but to "there" or to "it" which are both singular.

══════════════════════════════════════════════

"There" is not singular, and it is not a subject of any clause. It's just a dummy/placeholder.

The subject of "There seem to be no issues" is "[no] issues", and clearly "issues" is plural.

Topic: peacekeeper/peacemaker
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2018 5:04:42 PM
The difference is in the underlying idioms.

"Making peace" is essentially a matter of diplomacy, when someone intervenes in a conflict to convince the adversaries to stop fighting.

"Keeping the peace" is more a police function, whereby someone is authorized to use force or threaten punishment in order to prevent an outbreak of conflict. Note the definite article; it implies that "the peace" (or a truce) already exists and is to be maintained by the efforts of a peacekeeper.

Topic: Which are the correct sentences?
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2018 4:23:13 PM
Only sentence 4 has the right combination of tenses.

Sentence 3 feels almost right; it's something you might well receive from an advertiser.

Topic: So him not scoring
Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2018 7:13:27 PM
I agree with FounDit, but using "him" instead of "his" with a gerund is quite widely accepted nowadays.

I don't like it, but "it is what it is."

Topic: part of SpeecH
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 10:12:12 PM
Obviously you understand the problem: It's when the effective verb is a simple tense of "to be" and no agent is named or implied.

Part of the problem is that in such cases it simply doesn't matter which interpretation you accept, and the meaning is independent of your analysis. Whenever your choice of model really does matter, you'll probably have to search the context and try to decide what feels most comfortable to you.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.