Interests: Language in general, English in particular
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 4,318
[0.50% of all post / 3.92 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: was or is
Posted: Sunday, February 18, 2018 11:15:49 PM
The salient point is that he had previously been a student there. Thus at the time of the event he was a former student.

Topic: see more of you
Posted: Sunday, February 18, 2018 10:55:13 PM
As Wilmar says, it's just a matter of custom.

It's about as logical as saying "You're welcome" in response to "Thank you!"

Topic: America vs British English
Posted: Saturday, February 17, 2018 4:24:14 PM
I'm not sure there's any "deliberate choice" involved in any aspect of American English; that would imply that we think before speaking. Whistle

Except in very formal situations, I think most of us Yanks avoid using "one" (the pronoun, that is — it's a perfectly good number.) We're more likely to go with "generic you" instead.

Topic: over
Posted: Friday, February 16, 2018 7:27:18 PM
Certainly "over" means "finished", and "shoed" is a misspelling of "shooed".

Topic: 'To be' vs perfect infinitive
Posted: Friday, February 16, 2018 7:21:32 PM
I don't think the "to be" makes any real difference even in your "Now that …" situation. Even in that case, simply using just the past participle would be perfectly clear — though you're right that "to have been" would seem out of place there.

On the other hand, they could be "the first generation of children who will be (or who will have been) raised by foreign foster parents."

Topic: fix or fixed
Posted: Friday, February 16, 2018 6:35:05 PM
As IMcRout says, it is a proper use of the subjunctive but rather strange-sounding to most people nowadays.

It might seem less strange if a familiar conjunction were inserted:

"Following a court order in Jan 2016, the town council appointed KPMG two months later to ensure that it fix the lapses."

Topic: on grounds that
Posted: Thursday, February 15, 2018 5:19:51 PM
I have occasionally heard "on grounds that" (without the article) and never objected to it, but I (and, I think, most of us) prefer "on the grounds that …".

Topic: broad wife
Posted: Thursday, February 15, 2018 5:11:26 PM
I don't think the term is widely known to Americans, either. Certainly I had never heard of it.

Topic: Be assured
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 11:25:02 PM
The feeling — or at least my feeling — is that "assured" is used here as an adjective.

Others may well disagree with my opinion, but there's probably no real way to be sure just how this particular construction should be defined.

Topic: Having
Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 10:50:31 PM
Here "having" seems to be used (improperly, in my opinion) to mean "using".

"You usually continue to use nivolumab for as long as it works, unless it causes bad side effects."

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.