Profile: Virginia Lathan
About
User Name: Virginia Lathan
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 123
[0.01% of all post / 0.05 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: "Always suspect everybody." That's the maxim to go through life with!
Posted: Saturday, April 24, 2021 1:42:46 PM
Be aware of your use of absolutes, like "always" and "everybody." Perfect example: My six-month-old baby girl must have been in cahoots with the burglars who broke into my house through her window because she did not cry to alert me of their entrance.
Topic: Earth Day
Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2021 9:50:00 PM
I think the value in preserving the Earth is growing. Here in the U.S., I've been hearing some of the news anchors talking about "Earth Month." They skipped right over "Earth Week." So I guess, not only is the concept growing, but it's growing in leaps and bounds!!! And that's a good thing!!
Topic: The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because they are generally the same people.
Posted: Friday, October 7, 2016 2:36:15 PM
"Now there is a final reason I think that Jesus says, "Love your enemies." It is this: that love has within it a redemptive power. And there is a power there that eventually transforms individuals....Just keep loving them, and they can't stand it too long. Oh, they react in many ways in the beginning....They react with guilt feelings, and sometimes they'll hate you a little more at that transition period, but just keep loving them. And by the power of your love, they will break down under the load. That's love, you see. It is redemptive, and this is why Jesus says love. There's something about love that builds up and is creative. There is something about hate that tears down and is destructive."

Martin Luther King Jr.

(Quoted in "The Sun Magazine." Oct. 2016)
Topic: It is impossible for good or evil to last for ever; and hence it follows that the evil having lasted long, the good must be...
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2016 4:38:19 PM
I like the way Howard Zinn looks at this in his essay “The Optimism of Uncertainty” (The Sun Magazine – September 2016):

“The future is an infinite succession of presents, and to live now as we think human beings should live,
in defiance of all that is bad around us, is itself a marvelous victory.”
Topic: verruca
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2016 10:05:52 PM
Ouch! One more reason for me to wear shoes more often. Tea tree oil is a good remedy.
Topic: One cannot fix one's eyes on the commonest natural production without finding food for a rambling fa
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2016 3:16:19 PM
The most common natural production: "life." Even when the body dies, life persists in the micro-organisims that continue to occupy it. And I guess they're getting messages from the spiritual energy that guides them. The fascination surrounding life...in all its glorious aspects... is perpetual. Just pondering it can cure the most severe form of writer's block!!!
Topic: Fortune always leaves a door open in adversity in order to bring relief to it.
Posted: Wednesday, September 7, 2016 11:05:42 PM
Well, I just wish Fortune would close the door before I entered it—that way I could avoid Adversity altogether. Although it’s been said those trials are to test our preparation for growth—so they’re going to come. I guess just knowing how to best exit the calamitous situations we get ourselves in is about as good as it gets.
Topic: Art...is merely the refuge which the ingenious have invented, when they were supplied with food and women, to escape the...
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2016 4:24:05 PM
When I read this quote, I was reminded of how I view the Internet, movies, and TV. There are so many bare bottoms on display that are meant to entice us, that, for me, it has become monotonous seeing the same type images over and over again--after all, if you’ve seen one over-exposed butt gyrating, you’ve seen them all. Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m not commenting from a puritanical perspective: I’m very open to freedom of sexual expression that causes no harm to others. It’s just that our media has become sexually over saturated to the point where viewing many erotic images can subdue one’s stimulation. So show me something that will spark my imagination, something subtle, something not normally meant to arouse our passions…yet it does. That’s what art has the power to do. (To better understand what I mean, watch “Chocolat,” a 2000 film that’s “sinfully delicious.”)
Topic: Having learned the trick of beating and loving and suffering, the poor faithful heart persisted, although it lived on...
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2016 11:08:57 PM
Another way of saying this comes in the lyrics of "Joy and Pain," by Maze (featuring Frankie Beverly).

"Remember when you first found love how you felt so good
Kind that last forever more so you thought it would
Suddenly the things you see got you hurt so bad
How come the things that make us happy make us sad
Well it seems to me that
Joy and pain are like sunshine and rain
Joy and pain are like sunshine and rain

Over and over you can be sure
There will be sorrow but you will endure
Where there's a flower there's the sun and the rain
Oh and it's wonderful they're both one in the same"

Read more: Maze - Joy And Pain Lyrics | MetroLyrics Or, take a listen for free on Spotify.
Topic: It will be acknowledged even by those that practice it not, that clear and round dealing is the honor of man's nature, and...
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2016 8:39:43 PM
Igor Zinenko wrote:
how translate embaseth into russian or what is a meaning of this word?

One meaning is "to lower the quality or standard." Another one is "to make something not as good."

Hope this helps.