Forum Rank: Newbie
Statistics
Number of Posts: 22
[0.00% of all post / 0.01 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: change one letter game
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2015 9:49:13 AM
Stop acting like mice guys
Topic: She went/goes home to take somethins.
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2015 9:30:57 AM
bihunsedap wrote:
I saw a girl was along in the park.
"Where is your mother?" I asked her.
"She went/goes home to take somethins." she told.
(Her house is in front of park."

In the context above, it should went or goes home?

I saw a girl walking along in the park, or I saw a girl in the park.

The answer could be: she went home to get something
Topic: Is there any way to contact them to reactivate account?
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2015 3:28:15 AM
Is there any way o ofcontacting them to reactivate the (my) account?
Topic: Please check the sentence
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2015 6:38:47 PM
FounDit wrote:
Well, now, that just confused the hell out of me...Anxious so I went in search of more information and found this from theoldoxforddictionary:

"In British English, a billion used to be equivalent to a million million (i.e. 1,000,000,000,000), while in American English it has always equated to a thousand million (i.e. 1,000,000,000). British English has now adopted the American figure, though, so that a billion equals a thousand million in both varieties of English.

The same sort of change has taken place with the meaning of trillion. In British English, a trillion used to mean a million million million (i.e. 1,000,000,000,000,000,000). Nowadays, it's generally held to be equivalent to a million million (1,000,000,000,000), as it is in American English."

So are we all on the same page now?...Think

....or a thousand billion.....!
Topic: Tolerance is a very dull virtue. It is boring. Unlike love, it has always had a bad press. It is negative. It merely means...
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2015 6:24:47 PM
Could it be that Daemon is very fond of E.M.Foster? There are a lot more greats in this world worth quoting!
Topic: Tolerance is a very dull virtue. It is boring. Unlike love, it has always had a bad press. It is negative. It merely means...
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2015 6:15:09 PM
SoHeiL.N wrote:
Unlike Mr. Forster, tolerance is positive when humanity is the case. God granted tolerance to those who are peaceful and not violent. It is, also, tolerance that can make a teacher out of an enemy.

Well said!!!

Tolerance is the power that keeps you going when children, yours or not, are "testing" your patience. That's how you teach them to be patient and accept others regardless of their culture, religion, political or social status.
Topic: Is "playing" needed?
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2015 6:16:03 AM
towan52 wrote:
Dino1962 wrote:
To my humble, not native understanding, Koh Elaine is correct in leaving the second "playing" out.
I would say "I prefer eating oranges to apples" without feeling the need to add "eating" once more.
The verb "playing" refers to both nouns...,

Not really, you can only really do one thing with apple or oranges - that is eat them. Because of this you could leave out the first eating, which gives you, "I prefer oranges to apples" and your meaning is clear. You can play basketball, you can watch basketball, you can report on basketball and you can coach basketball!

You are correct about the things you can do with basketball, if I would want to take it a bit further, I could say: I can also paint them (art), or photograph them Brick wall.
Would you then say I'm occult?
Non native speakers have their own native perceptions and in this case I can clearly see that Koh Elaine refers to the second use of the word "playing".
Otherwise we used grey matter for nothing :P which would mean you're correct, should it be only "I prefer football to basketball"
Topic: How pleasant it is for a father to sit at his child's board. It is like an aged man reclining under the shadow of an oak...
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2015 5:08:37 AM
"When you finally come to the conclusion that your father was usually right, you yourself brought up a son, who is convinced his father is usually wrong"
Laurence J Peter
Topic: Is "playing" needed?
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2015 2:45:17 PM
To my humble, not native understanding, Koh Elaine is correct in leaving the second "playing" out.
I would say "I prefer eating oranges to apples" without feeling the need to add "eating" once more.
The verb "playing" refers to both nouns...,
Topic: Follow your honest convictions and be strong.
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2015 6:48:30 AM
ὁ Σκοτεινός wrote:
And if you are a reactionary fascist? -- Stupid advice.

You do the same thing. If your convictions "find" ears brains and hearts, it's an achievement.
If not, you change them.
If you can't change them, the quote doesn't apply to you. Whistle