User Name: MaryWilbur
Forum Rank: Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 95
[0.01% of all post / 0.04 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Warren G. Harding (1865)
Posted: Wednesday, November 2, 2016 9:58:20 AM
Dr. Ray Lyman Wilbur, who treated President Harding after his collapse in San Francisco, is my daughter's Great, Great, Great Grandfather. Dr. R.L. Wilbur was the first Dean of the Stanford Medical School. Many of Dr. Wilbur's descendents followed him into the medical professions, becoming either M.D.s or R.N.s, including my daughter's uncle, chief of radiology, University of Illinois Hospital, Chicago.
Topic: camion
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2016 10:24:14 AM
LOL
Topic: hegira
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 11:29:58 PM
Hegira is not an English word. I have been speaking, reading and writing English for at least the last 64 years (I'll be 68 on Saturday) and have never encountered it until today. English is inventive and if a word is needed where no word previously existed, someone will quickly supply it. Hegira is not one of those words. Don't waste time learning it.
Topic: It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 11:03:20 PM

Whoever remarked that Jane Austin's famous first line from her novel, Pride and Prejudice was the first line of Fyodor Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment -- Thanks for the chuckle!!

Dostoyevsky's style was much rougher than Austin's. He had little time to revise since he was under constant pressure from his creditors and publisher(s). Crime and Punishment was, according to Oliver Ready's Introduction to his 2014 translation of the novel, originally intended to be a long story. It grew in depth and complexity into an extraordinary masterpiece.

It's helpful to know the hero's surname, Raskolnikov is derived from "Raskolot'" to cleave, split, chop. "Raskol" a split or schism specifically within the Russian Orthodox Church in the 17th century and more broadly a religious schismatic or dissenter.

"In early July, in exceptional heat, towards evening, a young man left the garret he was renting in S[toliarny] Lane, stepped outside, and slowly, as if in two minds, set off towards K[okushkin] Bridge."

(Dostoyevsky did not identify the street and bridge and Ready follows suit. However, another translation names them, hence the bracketed insertions.)

I hope my pedantry didn't put anyone asleep.

Many thanks to Oliver Ready and the Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition of "Crime and Punishment. Translation and editorial material copyright 2014 by Oliver Ready.

Topic: The Free Dictionary will not work properly with ad-blockers
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 6:17:39 AM
I long ago white-listed TFD in my ad-blocker and never had a problem until yesterday. Now I'm getting the same ridiculous message everyone else who has posted here is getting, in spite of the fact that I've completely disabled Ad-Block Plus in my browser (Chrome). Please be kind enough to recognize the problem is at your end; or is this a broad hint that we should become subscribers?Think

Topic: Which one do you think is the morer?
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2015 3:46:20 AM
The forms of the verbs in your example sentence are incorrect. Your sentence should read: "There are three bottles filled with candles."
Topic: Which one do you think is the morer?
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2015 3:45:52 AM
The forms of the verbs in your example sentence are incorrect. Your sentence should read: "There are three bottles filled with candles."
Topic: moron
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2015 5:20:43 PM
Do not ever use insulting words when speaking or writing to people who have more power and influence than you do. It's extremely unwise as well as rude, and could have very unpredictable negative repercussions.
Topic: Driving too fast.
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2015 5:07:56 PM
I live about 50 miles west of Chicago. The drivers here are speed demons. The cops are always pulling someone over for speeding. I especially am amazed at how fast people drive in large parking lots where there are pedestrians and cars moving every which way.One of these days I expect to see someone seriously hurt. Speaking for myself I usually stay close to the speed limit. I don't want to get any points on my license or have to pay a big fine.
Topic: Genetics
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2015 8:25:19 AM
God created Adam out of earth, and He created Eve out of Adam's rib. They were immortal, but because they disobeyed God's command not to eat the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge, death entered the world. In order for all living things to reproduce themselves, genetics entered the picture.