Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 32
[0.00% of all post / 0.02 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Berchtold's Day
Posted: Wednesday, January 2, 2019 6:03:10 PM
Unlike the other problems of yesterday, this one's not yet fixed on my system.
Topic: The Infinitive Mood and the Emphatic Mood
Posted: Sunday, December 2, 2018 5:11:33 AM
A variant on the emphatic mode example (depending, perhaps, on context or whether both parties had access to the meeting information) might be :

“Yes, I can see that we are meeting your parents tonight.” or
“Yes, I can see that we are meeting your parents tonight.”

How would they be

a. classified and
b. differentiated in handwritten English (i.e. without bold text)? (Maybe context or underlining?)
Topic: Word in word glitch today Oct. 18, 2018
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2018 7:57:17 AM
C185445 wrote:
Yeah, WordHub game doesn't work for me either. The forum hasn't worked for a few hours either up until now, hopefully as the forum is back so is this game.

Words within words still isn't yet working for me.
I've tried all the usual resetting tools but without success.
It's the same on both my PC and phone via the latest Windows 7-Firefox and latest Android-F/F

I noted the forum was down, not just for me, via https://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/
Topic: Words Within Words game: words I've made disappear from list
Posted: Tuesday, July 3, 2018 11:51:23 PM
TFD wrote:
Please let us know what browser you are using (and what version) so we can try to reproduce this issue.

I had the same problem yesterday, where the last 2 words I'd just entered (and had accepted) in "words-within-words" suddenly vanished. I re-entered them a couple of times, but they disappeared again, including from the word-count.

I'm using the latest update of Firefox (61.0) on Windows 7 Ultimate.

Separate issue: The system won't accept "couped" as a valid word in "procedure" despite it being in the TFD dictionary.
Topic: No "sense"
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 6:54:59 AM
On Wordhub ("Words within words") "sense" is declared as not a valid 'sub-word" for "recession", despite it being in the TFD Dictionary.

It just doesn't appear to make sense!

I took a screenshot of it, but the "image" button doesn't enable me to post it.
Topic: Reflexive Pronoun Usage
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 5:55:22 AM
Quote: "The reflexive pronouns ... and oneself. The last of these is formed from the gender-neutral indefinite pronoun one; however, the pronoun 'one' is not a personal pronoun." Unquote

Is this (in bold) also considered true in the case of the British (royalty-specific) personal usage: "One is not amused" (i.e. where it "translates" as "I am not amused")?
Topic: Goal for the day not registering. Run out of options to clear
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 7:42:29 AM
Mine is "Article of the day" also.
Glad to know it's not just my system!
Topic: Goal for the day not registering. Run out of options to clear
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 2:36:16 AM
Hi
My system is not confirming that I've met my new "goal for the day" (1 of 6).
I've cleared a load of cookies and my web cache, logged out and re-logged in, rebooted my PC with no joy. Help!
Topic: Possessives vs parenthesis
Posted: Monday, August 28, 2017 4:36:57 AM
thar wrote:
Look up appositive

Ah! I've not previously come across the term or needed to use it in practice. My spellchecker didn't even recognize it.

As a "restrictive appositive" I assume it would simply be written: "... her brother Peter's birthday ...".

Works for me - eliminates all problems that would have arisen if either brackets or commas were involved.

Many thanks.
Topic: Possessives vs parenthesis
Posted: Monday, August 28, 2017 1:24:41 AM
1. ... her brother (Peter)'s birthday ...
2. ... her brother's (Peter) birthday ...
3. ... her brother, Peter's, birthday ...

Which of the above, if any, is/are considered grammatically correct, as I've not (yet) found a direct equivalent in the on-line TFD grammar book?

The grammar book suggests that the word(s) in parenthesis can be omitted without affecting the meaning.
1. This sounds OK, but omitting the parenthesis gives (pedantically) "brother 's", with a space before the apostrophe.
2. This (theoretically) appears to comply with the grammar book, but doesn't sound right.
3. This sounds OK, until you omit the parenthesis.

I believe that 1. is correct, although not strictly covered by the grammar book. Agree?

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.