Forum Rank: Newbie
Statistics
Number of Posts: 2
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Simple translation of two quotes
Posted: Monday, November 3, 2014 7:49:29 AM
Romany wrote:
Hi Techtrones - you certainly have picked two very difficult quotes to understand. A fair proportion of native speakers would find these two difficult to understand as well!

The first one says that, once love has turned to hate that feeling lasts a long time.

The second one is a little trickier. It says that being in love with someone often means one accepts the way the loved one behaves and the things they say. However, once one has truly learned humility, one doesn't accept everything at face value.

e.g. a person in love will tell you you are the most beautiful, wonderful person in the world. It's very comforting to accept that. But a humble person knows that it isn't true. That opinion belongs only to one person - to the rest of the world one is still the same (perhaps rather ordinary?) person.

Thanks Romany, Now I can better understand these quotes. Applause
Topic: Simple translation of two quotes
Posted: Sunday, November 2, 2014 4:00:25 PM
Hi I am new to this forum and looking forward to learn more about English literature. Also I would like you all to know that English is not my first language. There are some quotes I found fascinating but I am unable to understand. Somebody kindly translate these into simple English so I can really understand what the author's of these quotes actually meant.

1) What anger worse or slower to abate than lovers love when it turns to hate.--Euripides

2) True love is quiescent, except in the nascent moments of true humility.--Bryant H. McGill

I am sorry if I am posting in wrong section of this forum. In that case I would request the Admin to move my tread to correct section but do not delete this thread.