Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 1,217
[0.12% of all post / 0.51 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Study estimates 900,000+ covid19 deaths in US
Posted: Friday, May 7, 2021 2:31:37 AM
FounDit wrote:
Hmmm...well, MORE THAN 900,000 deaths in one year just here in the U.S. That's about 25,000 people per day. That's the population of a fairly large town full of people dying every day. Yet our hospitals and morgues and not over-run with dead bodies.

It seems obvious this is garbage. Well, it is being reported by NPR, so I suppose that's why it's garbage.

You got your maths wrong. It's approximately 2 500, not 25 000.

Either way:

- "Hospitals overwhelmed" by Today, on Youtube
- "U.S. under siege from COVID-19 as hospitals overwhelmed before holidays", by Reuters.
- Hospital capacity tracking, by the University of Minnesota.
- Key insights on hospitalisation in the US, with ICU at 90% capacity or more, by the University of Minnesota.
- "COVID-19 deaths significantly undercounted, report suggests", by Beckers hospital review.
- US: 905,289 covid deaths vs 574,043 reported covid deaths, according to a study from the University of Washington's Institute for Health Metrics and Valuation published May 6.
- "COVID-Overwhelmed Hospitals Strain Staff and Hope to Avoid Rationing Care", by Scientific American.

Vs
- "I divided 9 000 000 by 365 and got a number that seems too high to me", by FounDit
Topic: Mario Gonzalez dead from excessive use of police force
Posted: Wednesday, May 5, 2021 3:10:08 AM
FounDit wrote:
Lotje1000 wrote:

First, DailyKos is reporting the same basic information as other sources, such as cbsnews and the nytimes. There's also a good summary and additional sources on the wiki page.
All three are admittedly biased sources which present information from a slanted point of view.

I'll have to go with Jyrkkä Jätkä and wonder 'who, or what instance, has admitted that cbsnews or nytimes are biased sources.' It also doesn't seem like you checked the wiki article which (currently) cites 55 sources including even Fox news, which also reports the same description of events.

FounDit wrote:
Lotje1000 wrote:

Second, you are misreading the facts. It didn't "take eight minutes to get his hands behind his back". Officers talked for roughly 7 to 8 minutes and then tried handcuffing him.
So if he had obeyed their instructions, why was it necessary to push him to the ground an attempt to handcuff him? Obviously, he didn't cooperate.

That's not even slightly a response to what I pointed out.

FounDit wrote:
Lotje1000 wrote:
Third, police are not allowed to kill someone because that person was behaving stupidly.
The officers didn't kill him for behaving stupidly. They didn't kill him at all. They tried to arrest him and place him in handcuffs. He died because of is own stupidity.

Is it your contention that if he had obeyed the officers, they would have killed him anyway? For what reason? And please provide some evidence for that reason if you know of one.

I don't know where you get that contention from, honestly. It certainly wasn't in my post.

I'm curious: Assuming you're right and the police officers didn't kill him, what did? Your only explanation is "stupidity", but how does stupidity kill exactly?
Topic: Mario Gonzalez dead from excessive use of police force
Posted: Tuesday, May 4, 2021 10:41:45 AM
FounDit wrote:
Well, first the DailyKos is a left-wing political blog, not a genuine news outlet. Second, here is another case of a person behaving stupidly when confronted by police, and thinking it will end well. It's being reported that "Gonzalez is soft spoken, not combative at all, and at times possibly disoriented." But if that is true, it would not take eight minutes to get his hands behind his back. So someone is lying to someone, and I suspect it is this reporter.

When people behave erratically, the police are often called. In many cases, folks die when erratic behavior is not dealt with, as past school and business shootings attest. So to say all this happened because he was simply "scaring" someone's wife, is disingenuous, i.e,. another lie. He died because he didn't behave correctly. If he was "tweaking", it is because he chose to do so. If he didn't obey the instructions of the police, it's because he chose that behavior. So the result is the logical end of his choices - death from stupidity. It's a shame some people are this stupid, but that isn't the fault of the police. All he had to do was behave, and obey their instructions. Apparently, he chose the opposite path. He is responsible for his own behavior and destruction.

First, DailyKos is reporting the same basic information as other sources, such as cbsnews and the nytimes. There's also a good summary and additional sources on the wiki page.

Second, you are misreading the facts. It didn't "take eight minutes to get his hands behind his back". Officers talked for roughly 7 to 8 minutes and then tried handcuffing him.

Third, police are not allowed to kill someone because that person was behaving stupidly.
Topic: Suicidal tendencies
Posted: Sunday, May 2, 2021 4:06:15 AM
Hi Penz, thanks for reaching out! I'm sorry you're dealing with so much and that the people around you are so toxic and draining.

I support Jack's suggestion of finding a professional therapist to talk to who can give advice and options for you. There is no universal therapy that will work for everyone. Your depression can be because of a chemical imbalance or it could be in reaction to your home situation, or both, or it could be a symptom of something medical. That is something for a professional to figure out.

If you can't find/afford a professional just yet, there are other online sources you can turn to and find people to talk to, such as 7 cups. I haven't tried it myself, but 7 cups is a well-reviewed website that offers free support and people who will listen to you without judgment. The free version of it works with trained volunteers, I think. The paid-for side of it has the actual medical professionals. Look it up, read some reviews and see if it's something you feel comfortable trying.

It is important that you talk to someone about how you feel, be they online volunteers, friends, family, your neighbor, anyone. Talk honestly and openly in as much as you feel comfortable. If they respond like that Discord group, then cut them loose and find someone else - that stuff is toxic.

I would also strongly advise starting some self care, if you haven't already. Self care is about ways you can maintain yourself until you can find a support network. There's a lot of sources on the net about how to do that during a pandemic, like this one. Self-care is not about fixing things, but about ensuring a basic, healthy quality of life to keep you going. As long as you have the energy for it, I would recommend you keep writing and keep making music.

There are ways out that will help you manage your depression and your thoughts of suicide. Practical ways that involve more than motivational talk. You deserve to find them and you deserve support.
Topic: This climate
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2021 1:58:48 AM
FounDit wrote:
Yes, that's the thing about the climate - it's always changing. Just a couple of weeks ago, we had a freeze here in Texas like we haven't had in nearly 30 years. And now, it's very pleasant and warm.

That's the weather, not the climate. Climate is what you expect, weather is what you get.
Topic: Condom doesn't ensure no-pregnancy
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2021 3:01:25 AM
Hello

It's true that condoms are not 100% reliable. You have better odds if you combine it with another form of contraceptive. As such, I would recommend that your girlfriend gets an appointment with her gynocologist to discuss which type of contraception would be most appropriate for her. It's important to keep using condoms as they also protect the both of you from possible STIs.

Additionally, I recommend checking out scarleteen.com - it's a good website that answers this type of question and more. It's aimed at teens and emerging adults, but honestly, it's good for anyone to read up on this type of thing.

Good luck!
Topic: Cultural Oxymoron
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2021 2:03:05 AM
Y111 wrote:
According to that picture, white males are only good if they are gay. But if someone is male and white but not gay, who will he identify with in the picture? Naturally with the armed guy. There is just no other option there for him. So the picture actually says, "If you are a heterosexual white man, go to Trump. People like you are all there."

Personally, I look at that cartoon and think "Now there's an insecure and intolerant person setting himself up to fail" - I don't think "well that one white woman is the only one I can identify with" and conclude that I must only matter if I'm holding hands with a person of colour. I also don't think "Obviously the only good white man is a gay white man" (or jewish one, for that matter).

The idea that a white man has to identify with someone in the picture and thus is pushed towards Trump is an interesting one. That automatic response reminds me a lot of how some people go "not all men" when rape is being discussed. It's a very defensive response rather than an empathic one.
Topic: An asterisk in US history.
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2021 4:50:08 AM
Epiphileon wrote:
I agree full accountability is absolutely necessary; however, other than the impeachment trial and the determination if any members of the legislature should be censured and or removed, I am fervently hoping that the rest is left in the hands of the justice department. I am sure there is plenty for them to investigate.
What I fear is a plethora of congressional investigations that distract from the very necessary governing that needs to happen to ensure a stable country in which healing can happen.

I think that's why they were considering a 100-day delay on the impeachment, to give Biden time to do some productive governing.
Topic: Sign Fun #2
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2021 3:00:31 AM
I find it beautifully ironic how FounDit freely posts/complains about free speech attacks.
Topic: Activate the 25th Amendment
Posted: Saturday, January 9, 2021 3:00:59 AM
5) It would be a serious blow to the ego of the narcissist