Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 906
[0.10% of all post / 0.77 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Could It Really Happen That Way?
Posted: Monday, January 22, 2018 3:24:00 AM
Hope123 wrote:
Women at the head of the table is what is needed.

http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2018/01/21/womens-marches-highlights-orig-acl.cnn

I particularly liked the sign carried by one woman: Grab them by the midterms!

In Belgian media, a picture from a protest in Seattle popped up with a sign saying "Show us your girth certificate".

And I agree: More women at the table, more racial and cultural diversity would do much good.
Topic: Do You know About Harmful affects of Marijuana?(24)
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 7:18:19 AM
Hope123 wrote:
Lotje's statement didn't specify some. But it didn't say all either.

Exactly.
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 12:00:42 PM
If rebuffing my statement with personal anecdotes is a valid strategy, then let me give you my own: My father smoked for fifty years and only recently stopped. My mother is still a smoker (multiple packets a day kind of people). I have many smokers in my family so second hand smoke was unavoidable. Whenever I am around them, I stink of smoke, but more importantly, it affects my breathing, gives me a sore throat to the point where it makes it difficult to speak, stings my eyes, aggravates any illnesses I might have and also slows down how quickly I recover from them. Additionally, it most definitely harms those in my family who suffer from breathing issues such as asthma.

As far as I know, I have no cancer, but those reactions I described are in line with scientific research on the subject of second hand smoke - as acknowledged by the American Cancer Society, the CDC, Cancer Research UK, the NHS, and numerous Belgian sources that I consulted.

I'm glad you don't experience any adverse results from the smokers around you and I'm thrilled your mother had no lung problems. I cannot say the same for myself and people I know.
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 3:37:44 AM
FounDit wrote:
And it’s not enough anymore to avoid hurting others. Today, you are not allowed to hurt yourself either, as we see with cigarettes,

To be fair, cigarettes hurt not only the smokers themselves, but also those around them.
Topic: And now for the local news
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 10:28:23 AM
You reminded me, JJ. At the end of this month, the Ghent light festival will start, displaying 37 lightprojects and installations spread out across the city.

As a teaser, this is the old post office building (which now contains shops, a hotel and a cocktail bar) that was illuminated for the previous light festival:

Topic: Bishop George Pell
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2018 3:06:20 AM
Romany wrote:

I share the blame for what happened to those children

The blame of abuse always lies with the person who made the decision to commit abuse. Their choice, their crime. You are not responsible for their actions or for stopping them.
Topic: The position of ‘only’ (Adverb position - mid-position)
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2018 6:22:53 AM
"Only" is one of those words you can put pretty much anywhere in a sentence. You could try this website for help:
https://www.wikihow.com/Use-the-Word-Only-Correctly
Topic: The 'ed' added to the words ending with "-s", "-k", "-p" must be pronounced phonetically as "/t/"?
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2018 7:47:43 AM
-s -k and -t are unvoiced consonant sounds, which is why you'd expect the consonant sound that follows to also be unvoiced (like /t/). However, in "supposed", the letter s is pronounced as a /z/, which is a voiced consonant sound. You checked your dictionary and copied the phonetics from there: supposed /səˈpəʊzd, səˈpəʊzɪd $ -ˈpoʊzd, -ˈpoʊzɪd/ ●adjective.

Usually, a single s between two vowels (rose, those...) or after a vowel at the end of a word (is, was...) is pronounced as /z/. Double s is always pronounced /s/.
For example: lose /z/ vs loss /s/.

This can be a nice 'rule' to fall back on, but there are always exceptions, like 'loose', which is pronounced as /s/.
Bottom line is that it's best to check your dictionary regularly.
Topic: Goals, Today's Birthday, and other features Not Scoring Correctly
Posted: Monday, January 01, 2018 6:22:32 AM
I'm having the same problem. I'm supposed to read my daily grammar lesson and I have done so, but it is not updating in my profile.
I also had trouble responding to this thread as the "Add reply" button sent me to my profile page for some reason. I only managed to post this response by clicking "quote" instead.
Topic: Journey of the Universe
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 2:28:34 AM
jacobusmaximus wrote:
Lotje1000 wrote:
jacobusmaximus wrote:
And if humans evolved from apes, why are there still apes around?

Google. Honestly. This question has been answered so many times already.

jacobusmaximus wrote:
Edit - And how come human remains more than 2 million years old have just been found in Ethiopia?

I'm assuming you're talking about this. It was a jawbone from the Homo species, which eventually evolved into the modern human. So they aren't "human remains" as you'd know them now.
As for the "how come" question, quite obviously because someone dug and found them because the owner of said jawbone used to live in that area.

As for the tone of your post, which reads like a jab at scientific explanations: science keeps evolving as we keep digging at the truth. Literally in this case. How about rejoicing as we uncover more about our ancestry?

The OP was a scientific explanation? d'oh!

Really? That's all you take away from this thread?

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.