User Name: James Morris
Forum Rank: Newbie
Statistics
Number of Posts: 13
[0.00% of all post / 0.01 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Coded thesaurus
Posted: Friday, July 3, 2020 9:58:35 AM
Simply stated, a code is a set of symbols understood by a group but not necessarily by outsiders. Doctors have code words for various symptoms and ailments. You can do a google search and read many blogs telling all about it. Apparently a medical practitioner named James Read from England developed the first set of codes. Also, see the "thefreedictionary" medical dictionary of "read code"
Topic: Can "when and where" be used as relative pronouns?
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2020 11:15:22 AM
It is confusing. The only thing I can figure after reviewing the definitions is that whoever determined the difference did so arbitrarily. Is it modifying the noun in the first part of the sentence or the verb in the last part of the sentence?
Topic: Kumari
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2019 4:31:23 PM
A google search will give the Wikipedia article that answers that question: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kumari_(goddess)
Topic: What is the grammar terminology for "many of them volunteers"? Thanks.
Posted: Thursday, December 28, 2017 8:50:33 AM
",many of them volunteers," because you used commas, is a nonrestrictive or nonessential phrase modifying firefighters."
Topic: Shouldn't it be 'in' instead of 'at'?
Posted: Thursday, October 5, 2017 8:53:58 PM
In my understanding of these pronouns, "at" shows where the Gojukai is received. However, "in" is used to mean: inside the Kaimyo-in.
Topic: Don't believe all negative "news" about the United States
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2016 8:56:20 AM
Interesting how this can work two ways, the one's that spread hate for others and then there is the people who make false reports about being harassed. Some stories are true and some are false. Waiting for the case to be investigated by authorities does seem to be the best solution. I just wish the new media would wait for the investigation to be done before making the report.
Topic: Don't believe all negative "news" about the United States
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2016 8:35:25 AM
How true. I can relate this to what I learned in a writing class among some fellow military veterans. One day, the discussion turned to the idea that leaders, to get soldiers to hate the enemy, vilify them. As I researched different cultures, I discover there is no basic hatred for anybody except when there is conflict, and that conflict has to be created. Further there seems to be somebody's vested interest in stirring up animosity for the enemy by the powers that be that profit from the conflict of others. Trouble is, when this happens, logic and straight thinking vanish. I see this in the example of spreading negative news, "false news stories." There is another old American word for this, which might be well known world wide. It's called "spreading gossip." Further, it seems that only a small number of people, as in the case of the trump supporters attacking those not in their camp, that go around stirring up animosity. A word for people of this ilk are called hatemongers. A good thing I've found when I run into hatemongers and gossipers is to just walk away and then observe all the friendly people who aren't displaying hate.
Topic: Russians hacked the Republican National Committee’s computer systems
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2016 8:28:39 AM
With my research into the subjects of logic and rhetoric devices, without regard to differing political or moral beliefs and opinions, I wonder if whoever broke into the Republican and Democratic computer systems, just did not find enough dirt in the Republican files to comment on. I also wonder if the republicans were better at keeping secrets out of e-mail? M
Topic: Causative Verbs
Posted: Friday, October 7, 2016 6:15:52 AM
Well, this "causative verb" confusion, along with a few other head scratching modern interpretations of English Grammar such as the discussions on "aspect" seem to be written for the ESL students that are trying to learn our language. Boo hoo!
Topic: Causative Verbs
Posted: Thursday, October 6, 2016 7:33:34 PM
I find "causative verb" in your English Grammar that is quite clear. However, when searching for "causative verb" in the dictionary, a redirection occurs where a highly technical Wikipedia article on "causative voice" appears. Is "causative verb" now considered a fourth voice: "causative voice?"

Thank you, James