Profile: hedy mmm
About
User Name: hedy mmm
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 1,442
[0.15% of all post / 0.69 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Monuments of India. N1 (New Series)
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2020 10:43:19 PM
Ashwin Joshi, thank you for this awesome Monuments of India. N1 thread”. For the readers who may not be familiar with India’s Crown Jewel...I’ve added additional info to what has been written. If you have nothing nice to say about these threads, keep it to yourself, I don’t think Ashwin Joshi was asking for an opinion...There are some of us that appreciate beauty in the world...if you can’t say anything nice, just keep it to yourself...because really...nobody cares!

The Taj Mahal is one of the wonders and one of the most splendid masterpieces of architecture in the world. In the year 1983 it was listed as a UNESCO world heritage site and was described as a “universally admired masterpieces of the world's heritage”.

One of the world’s greatest memorials to love remains a place of mystery. The mausoleum in Agra, the Taj Mahal, is a sublime shrine to eternal love. Built between 1632 and 1647 by the Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan, the Taj Mahal was dedicated to Jahan’s favorite wife, Mumtaz Mahal, who died during childbirth. But despite its iconic stature, much of its history is still shrouded in mystery.

The architects and craftsmen of the Taj Mahal were masters of proportions and tricks of the eye. Optical illusions can be spotted everywhere. When you first approach the main gate that frames the Taj, for example, the monument appears incredibly close and large. But as you get closer, it shrinks in size—exactly the opposite of what you’d expect. And although the minarets surrounding the tomb look perfectly upright, the towers actually lean outward, which serves both form and function: in addition to providing aesthetic balance, the pillars would crumble away from the main crypt in a disaster like an earthquake.

The Taj Mahal is the pinnacle of Mughal architecture, constructed with impeccable symmetry according to the doctrines of the period’s style. Minarets flank the domed tomb, and a central pool reflects the main building. The gardens—an earthly representation of paradise—are divided into quadrants, and twin red sandstone buildings (an east-facing mosque and a west-facing guesthouse) give the mausoleum complex a balanced harmony. There is, however, one exception. Shah Jahan’s cenotaph is peculiarly positioned west of the central axis, throwing off the equilibrium. The odd placement has led many to believe he never meant to be buried there at all.

Age and pollution has taken a toll on the Taj Mahal’s gleaming white marble façade, which has turned brownish-yellow under the sooty conditions. Occaionally, the monument is given a spa day. Specifically, a mudpack facial called multiani mitti. This traditional recipe used by Indian women to restore radiance is applied, and then washed off with brushes, after which the Taj’s blemishes vanish, and its glow returns.

One of the allures of the Taj Mahal is its constantly changing hue. From dawn to dusk, the sun transforms the mausoleum. It may seem pearly gray and pale pink at sunrise, dazzling white at high noon, and an orange-bronze when the sun sets. In the evenings, the Taj can appear translucent blue. Special tickets are even sold for full moon and eclipse viewings.

Source: smithsonianmag.com
February 14, 2017
This story originally appeared on Travel + Leisure

BTW: The Eiffel Tower, Westminster Abby, St Peter’s Basilica, even the Statue of Liberty, do not hold a candle to the Taj Mahal...

Footnote: The only perfume I have ever worn to date, because of my draw to the Taj Mahal, is Shalimar by Jacques Guerlain who was inspired to create Shalimar ...by the story of Indian Emperor, Shah Jahan, who created a beautiful garden (called Shalimar) to please his queen...Meaning 'Temple of Love' in Sanskrit, Shalimar is an oriental fragrance with notes of bergamot and vanilla. it also denotes the romantic & intellectual balance of the wearer...namely moi...

hedy mmm

Topic: Present Cont. Passive vs. Present Perfect Passive
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2020 6:15:13 PM
narkom12 wrote:
Cherish your sight, cherish your hearing,
Love velvet verdure, azure sky
And all the things that have been given
Us by two short words, “I’m alive.”
Is Present Perfect Passive in the third line correct? Shouldn't be And all the things that are being given instead?
Thanks!

FounDit wrote:
That could work. However, you then take it from being personal to the individual, to the collective of all humanity, then back to personal again. You go from "your" sight, and "your" hearing to "us (humanity)" and then back again to the personal with, "I'm alive".

You could keep it completely personal with two small changes, IMO:

Cherish your sight, cherish your hearing,
Love velvet verdure, and azure sky
And all the things that you've been given
By two short words, “I’m alive.”

—————-
Correctomundo FounDit, I couldn’t have said better myself!

And may I say narkom12, I really love this poem...I can see the lush green & bright cloudless sky when I close my eyes and think of this poem...yes ‘I’m Alive’. I cherish my sight & my hearing. I can imagine how hard it is to translate from a foreign language to English but you do it all the time and quite successfully!

I have a close friend, Audrey Joy, who is blind from birth...she sings, plays piano, and teaches music...is booked every week for events, in NYC, and most Rotary events...everywhere.

She knows God didn’t cause her to be blind...in fact she thanks God, because she has had a very successful career...it makes her quite special! She is so full of Joy...she is so blessed...she gets on the train, bus, plane...shops for herself, self sufficient...and we talk quite briefly at least biweekly...

I’m going to send her your poem...she will be duly impressed. (Yes, her computer printer produces Braille and/or reads to her...so she can read!)

BTW I like your avatar...it’s definitely you!

hedy mmm

Topic: 📅 “Did You Know?” #19 - A Deadly Herb
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2020 6:28:52 PM
📅 “Did You Know” #19 - A Deadly Herb

Botanists tell us that nicotine, a deadly alkaloid, was developed by the tobacco plant as a defense against insects that chewed on its leaves. In fact, one of the European uses of tobacco was as an insecticide: in 1690 nicotine was extracted from tobacco leaves and used to kill bugs on other plants. In 1773, insect-infested plants were fumigated by blowing tobacco smoke over the plants.

The practice of smoking tobacco began in the Americas. Visiting Cuba with Columbus in 1492-93, Rodrigo de Jerez adopted the natives’ smoking habit and took it home with him. Back in Spain, however, his neighbors were so terrified by the smoke coming out of his mouth and nose that the local Inquisitor decided he was up to some deviltry and sentenced him to seven years in jail. (Steep price to pay for a nicotine high).

Tobacco was a feel-good herb, but it was known to have its sinister side, too. In the early 1600s, Frances Bacon wrote that more people than ever were smoking, and that it was next to impossible to quit. But it wasn’t until some 500 years after Columbus accepted the first tobacco leaf that smoking’s significant health risks were recognized. In 1906, the new Food and Drug Administration put nicotine on its list of drugs, although it was removed after the powerful tobacco industry objected. The first tobacco lawsuit, filed by a man who lost his larynx to cancer, was won in 1962; the first second-hand smoke suit was won in 1976. In 1995, the FDA finally managed to declare nicotine a dangerous drug.

It shouldn’t be any surprise that nicotine has been used as a murder weapon. The first documented case occurred in Belgium in 1850, where the Count and Countess de Bocarmé found themselves in need of some quick cash and targeted the countess’s younger brother, Gustave Fougnies, who was about to inherit the family fortune. The count suddenly acquired an interest in chemistry and a couple of bales of tobacco leaves. The countess, who never appeared in the kitchen, prepared the dinner herself and invited her brother. After the feast, Fougnies dropped dead. The count and countess announced that he’d had a stroke. The servants, however, were suspicious (wouldn’t you be?) and blew the whistle.

Given the count’s sizable tobacco stash and the countess’s sudden culinary passion, the gendarmerie suspected death-by-nicotine. But there was no test to prove that this deadly plant alkaloid was the murder weapon. That’s when Jean Servais Stas, Belgium’s premier chemist, stepped up, creating the first test to detect plant poison in human tissue. The Stas-Otto method he pioneered is still used by modern toxicologists.

The count and countess were charged with murder. The countess was acquitted when she claimed that her husband forced her to kill her brother. The count was executed on July 19, 1851.

Topic: Louis Francis "Lou" Costello (1906)
Posted: Friday, March 6, 2020 2:39:34 PM
I couldn’t allow the following skit to go unpublished today on “Today’s Birthday” on TFD...

"Who's On First?"
The names given in the routine for the players at each position are:
* First Base: Who
* Second Base: What
* Third Base: I Don't Know
* Left field: Why
* Center field: Because
* Pitcher: Tomorrow
* Catcher: Today
* Shortstop: I Don't Care/I Don't Give a Darn/I Don't Give a Damn

The name of the shortstop is not given until the very end of the routine, and the right fielder is never identified. In the Selchow and Righter board game, the right fielder's name is "Nobody". At one point in the routine, Costello thinks that Naturally is the first baseman:

Abbott: You throw the ball to first base.

Costello: Then who gets it?

Abbott: Naturally.

Costello: Naturally.

Abbott: Now you've got it.

Costello: I throw the ball to Naturally.
Abbott: You don't! You throw it to Who!

Abbott: Well, that's it—say it that way.

Costello: That's what I said.

Abbott: You did not.

Costello: I said I throw the ball to Naturally.

Abbott: You don't! You throw it to Who!

Abbott's explanations leave Costello hopelessly confused and infuriated, until the end of the routine when Costello finally appears to catch on.
Costello: Now I throw the ball to first base, whoever it is drops the ball, so the guy runs to second. Who Picks up the ball and throws it to What. What throws it to I Don't Know. I Don't Know throws it back to Tomorrow—a triple play.
Abbott: Yeah, it could be.
Costello: Another guy gets up and it's a long fly ball to Because. Why? I don't know. He's on third, and I don't give a darn!

Abbott: What was that?

Costello: I said, I DON'T GIVE A DARN!
Abbott: Oh, that's our shortstop!

The skit was usually performed on the team's radio series at the start of the baseball season. In one instance it serves as a climax for a broadcast which begins with Costello receiving a telegram from Joe DiMaggio asking Costello to take over for him due to his injury. (In this case, the unidentified rightfielder would have been Costello himself. However, this is unlikely, seeing how DiMaggio was a centerfielder, which is “Because” in this skit.)

At a Flea Market (that had no fleas! Haha) I found this recording inside a Christmas ornament that has 3” Abbott & Costello figures on it...I did not know that it had any sound until I got home (there’s a tiny button to press) ...I paid $2 for it ...I wouldn’t sell it for a million dollars (well, maybe for a tidy sum to pay off my mortgage!...hahaha)

Have a blessed & JOYful weekend all you guys!
This was a great “Today’s Birthday” ...thank you TFD

Wilmar (123) 1M, They were a favorite in my home too!

hedy mmm
Applause Applause Applause

Topic: Donald Trump
Posted: Wednesday, March 4, 2020 8:48:56 PM
TMe wrote:
Even as a child Donald Trump was a horror |

dailymail.co.uk

————
The “horror” is you stating something so ugly, my husband looked exactly as the photo on the left, and he was blonde & blue eyed also.
He was of German & Scandinavian extraction, (Northern Europe) where they have that Nordic look...and referred to as Nordens.
Always in a suit too...he grew up to be a brilliant scientist, husband (44 yrs) & father, who provided for us till he transitioned in 2013 at 84.

He was a foot taller than I...a dark haired Latina, who was his equal in intellect...he loved my eyes, he said they sparkled!

I don’t know where you hail from and I don’t need to know...but if your Avatar is you, then you have more melanin, so your country must be closer to the equator.

Of course, even the most handsome man or beautiful woman who is ugly on the INSIDE, is definitely ugly on the OUTSIDE...no matter how good they look...because beauty comes from within...remember that.

TMe NO ONE is a horror...

hedy

Topic: 🌈 A Little Taste of Spring...2/29/20
Posted: Wednesday, March 4, 2020 2:37:20 PM
Sarrriesfan wrote:
Hedy mmm I am sorry for your loss, my Dad died 40years ago when I was 9 I still miss him as well some holes never heal.
For me it’s when the snowdrops begin peeking through the soil that spring is on its way.

Also hellebores the Christmas rose varieties which like to grow in my front garden in a shady spot by the house.

Did you known that as Mothering Sunday in the UK is the 4th Sunday of Lent, we give our Mothers bunches of spring flowers like daffodils and tulips.

——————
Sarrriesfan thank you so much for your response...
Wow!...my dad died that same year 1980! I was 32...but it is tragic whether 9, 14 or 33 to lose a loved one...especially a dad...you’re right, some holes never heal... My husband transitioned in 2013 and my mom 3 months later...my stepdad last year...most of my annuals died because I was numb but my perennials & biennials, faithfully begin to show up early every year...
But Sarrriesfan we are in the land of the living so we have to treat each day like a gift...that’s why its called “The Present”. I thank the Lord I have a handsome son 45, beautiful daughter-in-law, and an awesome grandson Christopher 15, who are my treasures...and a slew of friends!

I’m not doing too good today, but I’ll be OK tomorrow because God has given me JOY, His word says, “His favor is for life; Weeping may endure for a night, but Joy comes in the morning.” ‭‭Psalms‬ ‭30:5‬

What I found amazing, from you, is the mention of ‘snowdrops’ because someone, just today, sent the following note concerning our distinct vocations & I had sent him that exact pict for his base design yesterday for his business card I’m doing, it has snow, snowdrops & they would be in the right of base design, with info & same snow on the background (I’m an artist):

“Hedy...but the spring is coming, it's getting warmer and customers reapppear like some snowdrops (Galanthus gen.). There is an old saying, "Thatch your roof before the rain begins", but nobody follows it. No one needs you while it's cold outside. I must love and completely understand [what I write]. I mean you shouldn't be forced into doing something you don't want to do. Or the result will be faaaaar from perfect. Hedy, I believe for 32 years, you have had a job you couldn't refuse because of the variety of reasons.”

BTW I did know about the Christmas roses...they are indeed quite beautiful...but I'm not too crazy about the cold or the snow!

What were the chances of having the SAME snowdrops pict? ...it’s not happenstance or luck or chance...it’s divine intervention...

be blessed, hedy mmm

Topic: 🌈 A Little Taste of Spring...2/29/20
Posted: Wednesday, March 4, 2020 12:27:25 PM
Islami wrote:
Spring and Tulips are inseparable.

Thank you Islami...I LOVE tulips especially, then daffodils, then daisies, then roses,
then...sorry there’s not enough room on this page to list them all...eek! They bloom first!

Such a beautiful reminder of spring and yet you’ve been the only poster since I sent it...

Actually, you have NO idea how much I appreciate it because today is March 4th...
the day my twin-sister Sonja transitioned 58 years ago of neuroblastoma, we were 14 ...I still miss her

Getting your post, on this day is very special...your tulips are a blessing.

Thank you again,
hedy mmm

Topic: Shouldn't it be "a very inappropriate word" instead?
Posted: Tuesday, March 3, 2020 12:55:27 PM
Wilmar (USA) 1M wrote:
Why would you post such a vulgar question? You could certainly learn the language without deliberately selecting a sample sentence such as this one. Absolutely inexcusable.

———-
Hi Wilmar USA) 1M,
First let me congratulate you on your over 1,004,840 neurons....that is AWESOME! Applause Applause Applause
I’m sorry, I should’ve congratulated you 4,840 neurons ago...i have really no excuse! Brick wall

I don’t even wish to refer to where your response came from...but you’re right it was a vulgar question, and you’re right, it was deliberate...nobody is THAT naive... but it’s not the first time and it won’t be the last...I’m surprised TFD isn’t addressing something like this as vulgarity...

Your response was ABSOLUTELY NEEDED...so I say, DITTO! Applause Applause Applause

hedy mmm
Topic: Jonas Jonasson any fans?
Posted: Monday, March 2, 2020 2:30:12 PM
L.Rai wrote:
I returned to China 3 weeks ago and had to do a self-quarantine, not sure why but it was required. Trust me I did not come from anywhere the virus had taken hold, nor was I exposed but its the rules. Given that I had time on my hands I decided to read the book I had picked up while in the airport, from author Jonas Jonasson.

I had read his first two books, ”The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared" and "The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden." I found both to be good fun. His latest book, "Hitman Anders and the Meaning of It All" was also a fun diversion. I think his style is rather quirky and makes for lighthearted joyful reading.

I was wondering if anyone else has read his books and what you thought of them. BTW, the movie of his first book was okay, but the book was so much better.

Oh in case anyone cares, no I don't have the virus, yes I chose to return to China, and NO I am not afraid I will get sick. I am sick however of being on lock-down and just wish we could all get back to "normal" which will never again be "normal"...just saying

DragOnspeaker wrote:
Good to hear you're doing OK.

I've never heard of this author (nor the movie), though I DO like his book's titles. "Hitman Anders and the Meaning of it All" sounds like it could match up to "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency".

PS - the odds on catching the virus appear currently to be in the range of 1:100,000 - and almost 40% of those confirmed have already recovered.

—-
Hi L.Rai,
Glad you don’t have virus, that you did return ...and like you, ”I am not afraid I will get sick”...so it was a smart move, picking up a great book...Sadly you had to be quarantined for 3 weeks! Yikes! Just want you to know I do care my friend!

Yes, I read ”The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared” in 2013. When I first was acquainted with this author, I got a kick that he had studied Swedish & Spanish, was a journalist, wrote his 1st book at 46 in 2007, it was translated in over 35 languages and sold more than 100 million copies in Germany and over 3.5 million world wide. So he had to be good! I’m an avid reader, (especially books w/over 350 pgs.) and you’re right, the movie versions are never as good as the book. I’m sure you’ll read the rest of his books...it’s better than the ‘boob tube’...

Hi DragOnspeaker, A Million Thanks, as I’ve said before, you are the real deal.. we are ”oldies but goodies”. (I can say that because I know I’m a bit older than you...hahaha)
What the ’young-in‘s’ don’t know is, we have wisdom, and we’re not into foolishness...don’t let anyone tell you different!

I concur that the odds of getting this strain are infinitesimal...but between fake news, the boob tube & the pharmaceutical companies scaring the cr_p out of people...no telling how far this scare will go...and there is no way I would get ANY Flu shots....(did anybody notice where they come from)...

To avid readers, especially you guys, may I recommend Herman Wouk’s book’s “The Winds of War”, its sequel “War and Remembrance”, (1046 & 896 pages respectively), for starters, but he’s got many more...sadly, he died last year, he would’ve been 104 yrs old, ten days later (32 yrs older than me!)...his legacy will live on...

hedy mmm

Topic: 📅 “Did You Know” #18 - About Leap Day Feb 29th
Posted: Saturday, February 29, 2020 12:06:13 PM
DragOnspeaker wrote:
Even the King found it funny . .

——-
Yes he did!
More importantly is you sending that movie clip!

Thank you DragOnspeaker...you are true to form...always!
I guess I’m an “Ill Natured Fairy”...hahaha

I will laugh all day and definitely share that movie clip... I hadn’t remembered it for so long...it’s definitely a classic!

Have a blessed eve...

hedy mmm