The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Profile: hedy mmm
About
User Name: hedy mmm
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests: Reading, flying, hunting, singing, designing jewelry, painting, studying the bible, volunteering
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 1,048
[0.12% of all post / 0.75 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: A giant 'singing' cloud in space will help us to understand how star systems form
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 10:04:45 PM
The Creation Research Society is a professional organization of trained scientists and interested laypersons who are firmly committed to scientific special creation. The Society was organized in 1963 by a committee of ten like-minded scientists, and has grown into an organization with worldwide membership. The primary functions of the Society are:
• Publication of a quarterly peer-reviewed journal.
• Conducting research to develop and test creation models.
• The provision of research grants and facilities to creation scientists for approved research projects.
• Providing qualified scientists to speak to groups or churches.
• Other functions of CRS include maintenance of a comprehensive directory of creationist organizations throughout the world.
The CRS also runs a secure online bookstore for ordering books and videos on special creation.

Would you check out the Creation Research Foundation's website?
or believe what you've read in Wikipedia as 'criticism' not 'facts'. Did you know that so much credence is given to Darwin's theory of evolution...TFD had a post about him, he was sick his whole life, they couldn't find the source of his maladies...and he died a miserable death...I guess NOW he's a creationist!

Here's a better question "Where will you spend eternity?" I am not speaking of 'religion' I'm speaking of a 'relationship' with the Creator.

hedy

"God graced us with today....don't waste it." hedy
Topic: Did You Know? #3 - Print File Formats
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 10:32:49 AM
Print File Formats are exactly as I've described, so if you wish to know what they are, (I assume some of you do)...please read the original thread...
I know that my thread went in an another direction then what was intended.

As I read my thread's responses, it brings to mind a favorite quote, and quite apropos, "Don't let the noise of other opinions drown your inner voice" ~ Steve Jobs

hedy

Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 11:18:17 PM
ChrisKC wrote:
Hello Hedy,
Very helpful descriptions.
A friendly critique: I think that not all the abbreviations you gave as examples are acronyms. TIFF, GIF and ZIP are true acronyms as the abbreviated letters can be said as words.

Hi ChrisKC,
Thank you for responding, however, I know that the examples I gave...PDF, EPS, JPEG or JPG & PNG are in fact, also acronyms.
Definition: Acronym (noun) is an abbreviation from the initial letters of other words and pronounced as a word.

Hope this was helpful...
hedy

Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 9:23:55 PM
Did You Know? #3 - Print File Formats

I am asked frequently what the following acronyms mean, so I thought I'd share them with TFDers, these brief definitions will help you better understand how each file format is best used.

PDF (Portable Document Format) is a file format developed by Adobe as a means of distributing compact, platform-independent documents. PDF captures formatting information from a variety of desktop publishing applications, making it possible to send formatted documents and have them appear on the recipient's monitor or printer as they were intended. You can use Adobe Acrobat to create PDF files, and you can view PDF files either with Adobe Reader or via a web browser with the PDF Viewer plug-in.

.EPS (Preferred for large signs and banners)
EPS (Encapsulated PostScript)
is a vector format designed for printing to PostScript printers and imagesetters. It is considered the best choice of graphics format for high resolution printing of illustrations. EPS files are created and edited in illustration programs such as Adobe Illustrator or CorelDRAW. Vector graphics are a scalable, resolution-independent format composed of individual objects or shapes. Vector images can be resized easily without loss of quality making them an ideal format for initial logo designs and illustrations to be used in multiple sizes.

.JPG (Preferred for images)
JPG (Joint Photographic Experts Group),
(pronounced jay-peg) is a file format best used for photo images which must be very small files, for example, for web sites or for email. JPG uses lossy compression (lossy meaning "with losses to quality"). Lossy means that some image quality is lost when the JPG data is compressed and saved, and this quality can never be recovered. File compression methods for most other file formats are lossless, meaning "fully recoverable". However, this integrity requirement does limit efficiency, limiting compression of photo image data to only 10% to 40% reduction in practice (graphics can be smaller).

.TIFF (Preferred for high resolution images)
TIFF (Tagged Image File Format)
is an industry standard designed for handling *raster (see bottom for definition) or bitmapped images. TIFF files can be saved in a variety of color formats and in various forms of compression. TIFFs use lossless compression to maintain image integrity and clarity and are often used for professional photography.

.GIF and .PNG
GIF (Graphics Interchange Format)
is a file format for storing graphical images up to 256 colors. It uses a lossless compression method which makes for higher quality output.

PNG (Portable Network Graphics) was created as a more powerful alternative to the GIF file format. PNGs are not restricted to the 256 color limitation of GIF files and have better compression. A PNG file can be saved with a transparent background which allows you to place your image on top of another image without an outlining white box.
GIF files are probably the most popular on the web being used in logos and color images. Even though PNG files are widely supported, GIF is still the most popular.

.ZIP (compression capabilities)
ZIP is a file format used for data archiving and compression. A ZIP file contains one or more files that have been compressed and bundled to reduce file size and allow for easy file transfers. ZIP files can be created by right-clicking on a file or folder and selecting "Compress" (Mac) or "Send To > Compressed/Zipped Folder" (PC). Once a ZIP file is received (eg., via email) it must be "unzipped" or de-compressed before the files themselves can be accessed.

Other Formats
I prefer one of the above formats when submitting files, other then GIF files, for the obvious.

Other Definitions
*Rasterize is used to take "type" and change to art. The type will not be compromised in the final document, however, you cannot just change the font or add more letters. It can now be distorted in developing artwork, as in a logo, and some output houses prefer it. Best to keep font/text as a layer to go back to if needed, or remember the font, size, etc.

hedy

Topic: A giant 'singing' cloud in space will help us to understand how star systems form
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 8:04:31 PM
thar wrote:
...the Clangers is scientifically accurate

thar, I don't know if you're definition of 'Clanger' is (1) a liver dumpling, popular in the United Kingdom Dancing or (2) a conspicuous mistake or blunder whose effects seem to 'clang'...ergo, "Drop a Clanger" Think ...I assume it's the latter...actually an oxymoron, for sure! Applause

For those who might or might not, believe the article...I say, "What nonsense!" d'oh!
You want accuracy? Read God's word written some 8-10,000 years ago, at the time of creation. The scientific community has tried to disprove God, although a majority believe in Intelligent Design...

The bible says "Then the Lord answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said: “Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth? Tell Me, if you have understanding. To what were its foundations fastened? Or who laid its cornerstone, When the morning stars sang together...?"
Job 38:1,4,6-7 and "He counts the number of the stars; He calls them all by name."
Psalm 147:4

hedy

The stars & the Heavens have been declaring the Glory of God since creation...I guess most, including these dummy's behind this article STILL don't know. Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall

Topic: Probably he seems...
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2018 8:20:59 PM
'Probably' and 'seems' are synonymous in this instance...but you wouldn't use both words together.
You can say "He seems to be the right man..." or "He is probably the right man..."
You can even say, "He seems to be the right man for the job, he will probably be hired (over me)...because, yada yada yada"

Of course, because 'probably' means 'most likely' (an assumption) and 'seems' means 'appears to be', they are not always interchangeable.
For eg., "she'll probably go shopping" and "she seems to like shopping"...completely different meanings.

Topic: give their money back
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2018 7:54:27 PM
It should read "I will give them their money back."

Topic: I'll be honest and I'll tell you that everything
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2018 1:22:45 PM
I'm glad we agree DragOnspeaker and palapaguy. Wilmar (USA) there is no way I "gotta roll with it" that's why I said...

I had an acquaintance (the operative word here is 'had') who used to say "to be honest with you" a few times in a conversation which drove me crazy...she is now history!

Topic: I'll be honest and I'll tell you that everything
Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 12:09:18 PM
As usual thar is succinct in his explanation, Applause however, I have trouble with the expressions, "I'll be honest" or "to be honest with you" and "let's be sincere" whether used in the beginning or middle of a sentence. When I am speaking to someone who uses anyone one of these phrases (which I find are used as force of habit or to appear educated), I interrupt with, "you weren't honest till now?" or "you haven't been sincere?"...or "So you've been lying to me?"

I had an acquaintance (the operative word here is 'had') who used "to be honest with you" a few times in a conversation which drove me crazy Brick wall d'oh! ... I'm just saying...

As far as Nikitus' post...thar nailed it! Applause Dancing

Topic: Is this question natural?
Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 11:20:19 AM
Hi DavidLearn,
Your new question made me search further...so I researched, in case I was mistaken in my response.
Believe it or not, I found a TFD post by thar from June 28, 2011...although he's using the 'vacation' vs 'vacations', I thought it would apply.

thar wrote:
vacation can take a plural vacations
"the summer vacation is over, now it is autumn and I am going back to school."
"the summer vacations are over, now I have a job and have to work every summer."

I guess, other than correcting the other grammar comments, the singular or plural form are up for grabs...
I'll stick to: "How long ago did you finish your Easter holiday and return to Barcelona"

Great question...hope this was helpful.
hedy

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.