The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Profile: hedy mmm
About
User Name: hedy mmm
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests: Reading, flying, hunting, singing, designing jewelry, painting, studying the bible, volunteering
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 897
[0.11% of all post / 0.76 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Don't run off. Stay with me.
Posted: Saturday, October 21, 2017 11:16:28 PM
bihunsedap wrote:
My son ran off in the hypermarket.
I ran to him and hold his hand.
"Don't run off. Stay with me." I told him.
Would stay with me mean both are no moving and standing there?
How do I say keep in a close distance but not leaving me?

Hi bihunsedap,

The second sentence should read: "I ran after him and took his hand (or grabbed his hand)."
You wanted him near you. He could still move, you did say he should stand still. Your response, "Don't run off. Stay with me", is correct.

"God graced us with today....don't waste it." hedy
Topic: ...at the home of one of his patients.
Posted: Saturday, October 21, 2017 9:20:45 PM
IMcRout wrote:
The apostrophe in the first sentence should be behind the word 'patients' as there seems to be more than one ---> '... one of his patients' home.'

As to the question, Wilmar is right.

You are correct IMcRout, the apostrophe belongs after the 's'. If the sentence had been, "...making a house-call at his patient's home", then it would have been correct. And yes Wilmar is correct.

And welcome FX2 to TFD...Dancing hedy mmm

Topic: These Are Fighting Words
Posted: Friday, October 20, 2017 7:21:24 PM
Thanks for the info Sarrriesfan, I've learned something new...
hedymmm

Posted: Friday, October 20, 2017 10:37:54 AM
Yes, you're right almo 1, I've used the expression "Tow the line", but then I have "A lotta' 'splaying to do" ("I Love Lucy" sitcom, 1950's circa)

There are other expressions you may like, for eg, "Okey, dokey, smokey" (ok), "I gotta see a man about a horse" (I have to go to the bathroom) , I once used the expression, "No, you can't pass go and you can't collect $200" (from the game of Monolopy), to my college student who was insisting that she was right (which she wasn't), so I tried to be insistent with some humor...I horribly failed. She started to cry and said "I'm sorry, I didn't know about any money"...

So if you use expressions such as, "you can't handle the truth!" (a Jack Nicholson quote), or "I'm an excellent driver" (from Rainman), even "I'm your Father! (Starwars-Darth Vadar said to Luke Skywalker), you too will have "A lotta' 'splaying to do" from 'I Love Lucy" sitcom, 1950's circa)...use them anyway, they're fun.

Thanks again almo 1 for keeping this thread alive....hedymmmApplause

Topic: Do you want your foot get in blanket.
Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2017 11:04:59 PM
bihunsedap wrote:
"Are you cold? Do you want your foot get in blanket."
The room was with air-conditioner on.
He was wearing a short pants and his feet were getting cold.
I asked him whether he wants me to cover his feet or not.
Does it sound natural?

It sounds better said like this:
The air-conditioner was on in the room.
He was wearing short pants and his feet were getting cold.
I asked him whether he wanted me to cover his feet or not with the blanket.
or
you can begin the dialogue by saying:
I asked him, "Are you cold? Would you like me to cover your feet with the blanket?"
The air-conditioner was on in 'his' (or 'the') room.
He was wearing short pants and his feet were getting cold.

Do you want your foot get in blanket." should read: "Do you want your feet under the blanket?"...this needs to be plural, because you have two feet...and you don't 'get in blanket', you get 'under the blanket'. You can cover him 'with' the blanket and he will be 'under' the blanket. You also don't need 'a' before 'short pants'. Hope this is helpful...
hedy

Topic: Your Favorite Song
Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2017 8:35:23 PM
This was my favorite song until it wasn't true anymore...I still listen to Kenny Rogers' other songs that are really awesome. As an artist, designer and musician, with a passion for words...listening to a song's lyrics is up there with reading a good mystery.
hedy mmm

You Decorated My Life

All my life was a paper
Once plain, pure and white
Till you moved with your pen, changin' moods now and then
Till the balance was right
Then you added some music
Every note was in place
And anybody could see all the changes in me by the look on my face

And you decorated my life
Created a world
Where dreams are a part
And you decorated my life
By paintin' your love all over my heart
You decorated my life

Like a rhyme with no reason
In an unfinished song
There was no harmony, life meant nothin' to me until you came along
And you brought out the colors
What a gentle surprise
Now I'm able to see all the things life can be, shinin' soft in your eyes
And you decorated my life...

Sung by Kenny Rogers

Topic: Which sentence says that my family consists of my wife, son, daughter and me/myself?
Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2017 2:16:44 PM
NMK wrote:
...as if we Americans shouldn't expect to get anything rightWhistle

DragOnspeaker responded:
Actually . . . I was refraining from mentioning the possibility that Americans ever get this wrong! Anxious

I think DragOnspeaker used the word "'ever' get this wrong", instead of "never", which would have been clearer to you, NMK and I, for his explanations are always clear and pretty much correct. In where I, may differ from him, would probably be because of our geography or nuances...d'oh! which is perfectly ok for 'variety is the spice of life'.

So, I will now put in my 2¢ about Koh Elaine's question and its responses:
"My family and I went on vacation to Hawaii" (don't I wish)
"I lit a fire for my wife, son and daughter to keep us warm" BUT not the sentence "I lit the fire and warmed my wife....." This sentence means that the lit fire and YOU warmed your wife...which is only possible if you put your arms around her or gave her your coat (covering).
So, the sample sentence you gave should read, 'I lit the fire THAT warmed my wife, son, daughter and myself.". But better said would be, "I lit a fire to keep us warm."

(Let's not confuse this with the song "Light My Fire", sung by José Feliciano, which could be a whole new other thread!)
hedy Dancing

Topic: Is it necessary or optional "for him" in the two sentences?
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2017 9:20:37 AM
DavidLearn wrote:
My question:
Is it necessary or optional what is in parentheses? Is it wrong to use it?

Yes, it is unnecessary and wrong to use in the sentences, because it would be redundant.
The only correction I find is in the first sentence. It should be "on our vacation" not "in our vacation".
hedy

Posted: Friday, October 13, 2017 1:57:06 PM
Today is Friday the 13th, d'oh! so on a day which is considered 'bad luck' (at least here in America), I chose to share these colorful terms, that come from boxing and wrestling, with TFDer's who may or may not know the origins of these idioms. I guess I want to say that fighting words are bad luck too...Enjoy

SAVED BY THE BELL - Its use as the title of a 1990s sitcom might make one think of high school and gigantic cell phones, but saved by the bell originated from boxing. A boxer getting pummeled is "saved by the bell" when the signal comes to end a round. That phrase was used in boxing writing early in the 20th century, but by the second half of the century acquired a figurative application describe one who has been relieved from pressure or difficulty from an outside intervention.

PALOOKA - Palooka is a classic term for an inexperienced or incompetent boxer, one who has no business being in the ring. More broadly, it can mean any oaf or lout. Joe Palooka was the name of a comic strip created by Ham Fisher that was first published in 1930, and many have naturally assumed that its title character, a gentle-hearted prizefighter, was the source of the term palooka. However, the word had been around for at least ten years before the debut of the strip, and the word's true origins are unknown.

NO HOLDS BARRED - No holds barred was a phrase used to advertise free-form wrestling matches, where no grips were illegal, as far back at the late 19th century. The adverbial phrase no holds barred or with no holds barred has come to mean "free from the usual limits or rules." It can also be an adjective, usually hyphenated.

ON THE ROPES - A modern boxing ring is bounded on all four sides by ropes fastened together at the corners by turnbuckles. Even though the combat area is square, the term ring remains as a holdover from when combat contests would be held in circular spaces. A boxer who is backed against the ropes has nowhere further to retreat, and so risks being pummeled and knocked out. Figuratively, one who is on the ropes is similarly in a helpless or defensive position, usually close to defeat.

HEAVYWEIGHT & LIGHTWEIGHT - Professional boxers are classified into one of 17 weight classes, with category limits varying slightly across the sport's different sanctioning bodies. Heavyweight generally refers to the heaviest classification, for which there is no upper limit, and in general use can mean "one that possesses great power, prominence, or stature." Lightweight is not the lowest classification—the flyweight and the bantamweight are among those that rank below it—but that didn't stop the word from develop its own meaning in general use, "one of little consequence or ability."

GO TO THE MAT - Go to the mat originated from wrestling, the mat being the padded canvas on the floor of a ring. The phrase can be interpreted as simply entering the ring to begin a bout, but since a match isn't over until a wrestler is pinned to the ground, some interpret go to the mat to mean "to continue grappling even after leaving one's feet." That notion of fighting to the finish gives go to the mat its figurative meaning of "to engage in a prolonged struggle."

THROW IN THE TOWEL - When someone wanted to end a boxing match, the person who threw in the towel usually wasn't the boxer, who was getting pummeled, but the boxer's trainer. The toss of a towel, used to wipe up sweat or blood, into the ring would signal to the referee that the fight was over. (A lesser-used variant of the idiom is throw in the sponge). To throw in the towel now means to quit something, usually when one is failing at it.

Source: Merriam Webster's Word of the Day - word@m-w.com

Have a great weekend...hedyDancing

Topic: "Who's On First?"
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2017 1:53:26 PM
Oh, I absolutely love it Jyrkkä Jatkä! Applause Applause

Did you make this one up? I can just imagine if the 'mouse' came into the dialogue...Costello would freak if he was told he'd have to buy a mouse!

Thanks...I'm going to copy it and share it with my friends... this was fun! Dancing
hedy

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.