The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Profile: hedy mmm
About
User Name: hedy mmm
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests: Reading, flying, hunting, singing, designing jewelry, painting, studying the bible, volunteering
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 1,085
[0.12% of all post / 0.75 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: single or double quotation marks.
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 4:04:30 PM
I love your response Sarrriesfan Applause Applause
I need to enjoy a blush Zinfandel more often...thanks for the reminder...guess that's what was missing at my Sunday lunch of 'Mussels Cognac'...yum, yum, yum ...Whistle

"God graced us with today....don't waste it." hedy
Topic: Please check if my sentences are ok.
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 8:11:29 AM
Aoronly Kuilai...

I know I speak for Foundi and I when I say, "Sorry for sounding accusatory" Pray

...Although I don't often post on the forum, (my work keeps me quite busy so I just exercise my brain), I love to help TFDers with their grammar.

So just ask on...we, native speakers, are here to teach!

I must say, your correct use of 'next to nil', was quite impressive!
Forgive my jesting...at the end of the day I like to have fun too!!! Dancing

...And again I say, Welcome to TFD! Dancing
hedy

Topic: Please check if my sentences are ok.
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2018 2:47:15 PM
1. There had to be someone we know that sneaked into my room and stole my money—it's highly likely that that someone is Tom.

2. He told me that he is going somewhere this Friday nightif you know him, that 'somewhere' must be a pub.

3. She said when we last met she would come to visit me sometime soonthat 'sometime' is likely to be this week.

I'm as curious as Foundit ...are they homework? Are you cheating? Eek! If so, you will never learn! We're gonna tell on you!

BTW Aoronly Kwilai, Welcome to TFD...hedy Dancing
(We better not find out you're cheating...)
Shame on you d'oh! Brick wall Not talking

Posted: Monday, July 16, 2018 1:54:30 PM
Sarrriesfan[/u] wrote:

Intresting hedy mmm in British Englsh we often use them the other way around so our version of your stament would be.
' I will be seeing my friend Mary "the grinch" at school on Monday'
We also normally call them 'inverted commas' .

A few minor typos...
Interesting hedy mmm in British English we often use them the other way around so our version of your statement would be.
'I will be seeing my friend Mary "the grinch" at school on Monday'
We also normally call them 'inverted commas' .

I said exactly the same thing! Read it again...so I'm glad we agree! Applause Applause (I guess you have a friend Mary who's a grinch too....ha ha ha) d'oh!

BE - 'I will be seeing my friend Mary "the grinch" at school on Monday'
AE - "I will be seeing my friend Mary 'the grinch' at school on Monday."

Parpar1836... I think your friend is the idiot...you are a TFDer and definetly not an idiot...you tell him I said so....LOL
Just having fun, afterall, it's Monday!
hedy Dancing Dancing Dancing

Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2018 9:11:27 AM
BE native speakers are prone to using single quotations as opposed to AE, who prefer double quotations...both are correct.
As an AE native speaker, I have used both, depending upon the sentence, for eg.:

"I will be seeing my friend Mary 'the grinch' at school on Monday."

In this sentence, the double quotes is the statement (my quote) and the single quotes is like a tongue in cheek description of Mary.
Sometimes in conversing, one may indicate with both index fingers the single quotes because, as in this sentence, you are describing the dynamics of your statement (which is describing what your Monday at school will be like)

...hope this makes sense, 'eek!'! d'oh!

Topic: Are the commas optional?
Posted: Friday, July 13, 2018 8:30:13 AM
Jyrkktä Jäktä wrote:
Commas are in their right places,
however, the phrase for a period of one year from 22/6/2018 to 21/6/18 appears to be a bit odd ;-)

Hi Jyrrktä Jäktä, Dancing
You are correct in the necessity of the commas...however, not sure what 'from 22/6/2018 to 21/6/18' implies either Think ...definetly odd, possibly a typo with the year...I believe it meant to indicate 'June 22nd 2018 to June 21st 2019', which is obviously the period of one year.
The phrase 'for a period of one year' is not necessary. d'oh!

hedy Dancing

Topic: Grammar
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2018 11:08:07 PM
Hey DragOnspeaker ¡Muchas Gracias! Applause
It's great when TFDers from both sides of the globe agree...actually, we usually do...Thank you!

I do have one question thou...I thought the 'cleaner' was the subject?? Think
You're also right about the 'Armed Forces' ...maybe it should have read 'Armed men'...

Amybal, you're welcome and you don't need a comma between 'help' and 'rescue'...'to help rescue' is one thought/act/solution...

BTW Amybal, you are doing extremely well in improving your grammar... Applause Applause

hedy Liar

Topic: Grammar
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2018 7:53:43 AM
Amybal wrote:
Hi, do you see anything grammatically wrong in these sentence?
Short summary
When a cleaner’s girlfriend, Dewi gets kidnapped by a group of highly professional mobster, he seeks his buddies form a rag-tag superhero group help to rescue her.
Long Summary
Yanto, a cleaner in a renowned Medical Company, has to save his girlfriend who gets kidnapped by a group of highly professional armed forces. As no authorities can help in this matter, he decides to rescue her by himself and sets out to gather his four friends who once made a promise to help each other in time of need. During the rescue mission, the effort takes them through a crazy adventure that has never been experiences or imagined by anyone before.

Hi Amybal, here are a few suggestions, so as to read grammatically correct:
Short summary
When a cleaner’s girlfriend, Dewi, gets kidnapped by a group of highly professional mobsters, he seeks his buddies to form a rag-tag superhero group to help rescue her.

Long Summary
Yanto, a cleaner in a renowned Medical Company, has to save his girlfriend who gets kidnapped by a group of highly professional armed forces. As no authorities can help in this matter, he decides to rescue her by himself 'by himself' is not merited, instead 'he decides to rescue her with the aid of four friends who once made a promise to help each other in time of need. During the rescue mission, their efforts take('s' not needed) them through a crazy adventure that has never been experienced or imagined by anyone before.

hedy

Topic: Natural English
Posted: Thursday, July 5, 2018 9:44:09 AM
DOOM wrote:
Is the following grammatical?

"The believers of Ar-Rahman are those who when spending in Allah's way they are neither extravagant nor niggardly but they are moderate between the two extremes."

Hi DOOM,
May I suggest very minor changes:
Is the following grammatically correct? ('Grammatical' it is, however you want to know if it's correct, thus, 'Grammatically correct'...because technically it was 'Grammatically incorrect'...[/i]

"The believers of Ar-Rahman are those whowhen spending in Allah's wayare neither extravagant nor niggardly but they are moderate between the two extremes."
OR
"The believers of Ar-Rahman are those who, when spending in Allah's way, are neither extravagant nor niggardly but they are moderate between the two extremes."

Please note: Both the em dash(—) or a comma(,) would be apropos, just remember there are no spaces between the words with an em dash, and none before a comma.

I took so long to post my answer, that I didn't see that NKM and DragOnspeaker had posted...both with great suggestions...again, teamwork at its best!
hedy

Topic: Preposition
Posted: Tuesday, July 3, 2018 11:17:03 AM
Amybal wrote:
Hi, do you see anything grammatically wrong in these sentence?
Short Summary
When a video death of renowned Idol, Monica, has shaken the social media, multiple hashtags bearing the name of other idols start appearing online and they start dying one by one in horrific circumstances.
Long summary
It’s been a year since the mysterious death of renowned Net Idol Monica. A video of her death surfaces online and immediately goes viral. But most horrifying of all are the names of multiple Net Idols tagged in the video. These Idols begin dying one by one, including Malisa, a former idol-turned-beauty entrepreneur. When she begins encountering strange incidents, leading her boyfriend Jak to investigate the truth behind the deaths. Will Malisa be able to make it out alive?

Hi Amybal,

Really good ''Short' and 'Long' summaries, however very few grammar errors. The tenses should remain past tense, for it happened a year ago, except for 'Long summary's' last 2 sentences...which is happening in the present.

Short Summary
When a video death of renowned Idol, Monica, had shaken the social media, multiple hashtags bearing the name of other idols started appearing online and dying one by one in horrific circumstances. (they start is not necessary)

Long summary
It’s been a year since the mysterious death of renowned Net Idol Monica. A video of her death surfaced online and immediately went viral. But most horrifying of all are the names of multiple Net Idols tagged in the video. These Idols began dying one by one, except Malisa, a former idol-turned-beauty entrepreneur. When she begins encountering strange incidents, leading her boyfriend Jak to investigate the truth behind the deaths. Will Malisa be able to make it out alive?

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.