The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Profile: hedy mmm
About
User Name: hedy mmm
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests: Reading, flying, hunting, singing, designing jewelry, painting, studying the bible, volunteering
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 1,290
[0.13% of all post / 0.68 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Elizabeth Barrett Elopes with Robert Browning (1846)
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2019 11:07:28 AM
Seriously? Question marks?

Do either you, KSPaven and David Briggs 1, have a clue or realize why she’s immortalized?
Her poem below is the epitome of love...it describes exactly how I feel of my love AKJ...

How Do I Love Thee?

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of being and ideal grace.

I love thee to the level of every day's
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for right.
I love thee purely, as they turn from praise.

I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints. I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life; and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.

“”
Sonnet XLIII
from Sonnets From the Portuguese, 1845 (published 1850)

hedy mmm

"God graced us with today....don't waste it." hedy
Topic: army slippers
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2019 11:02:42 AM
Hi justina bandol, I’ll take a stab of its meaning...I did read the book as a child, it was a favorite, I just don’t remember that quote presently.

However, I believe the slippers, specifically new footwear, are made to be worn inside the house (house slippers), they were obviously brand new, stiff (hadn’t been broken-in), and they were a military family, so Jo donned, danced and broke in the army slippers for her mom...a special gesture which conveyed her love for her mom...

.Maybe your right Sarrriefian..that.they are army issued!

hedy

Sorry DragOnspeaker, my friend, I crossed with you in my post...I took too long to write...so many interrupts with work! Yikes...
As usual, I love your Picts...BTW, my slippers are teddy bears!

I didn’t think they were evening wear, (in AE English, we call them evening foot wear or evening shoes) ...if they had been, her mom might not have been to happy, but you are possibly correct!

hedy

Topic: please check the speech for grammatical mistakes
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2019 5:16:52 PM
Hey foolofgrace, I love your avatar...that’s how we should all be!

I want to apologize, because I didn’t see your post (I was constructing mine so I missed it!

I like your response, it’s concise and you recognized some stuff I did...
Be blessed,
Hedy

Topic: please check the speech for grammatical mistakes
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2019 4:21:15 PM
s21d wrote:
Good morning everyone, I xyz have been appointed to the post of assistant teacher in this school.As I stand in front of you all, I experience a strong surge of Deja Vu, reminiscent of the times when I was also a student of this school.I will try my level best to play a constructive role in fulfilling the objectives that this institution strives to achieve. I look forward to working with you all and propel this institution of excellence to newer heights.

Thank you.

——
Hi s21d,

I didn't mean to rewrite your intro, but if you sound starchy you’ll loose them at “Good Morning”...

This is my 2¢:
Good morning, my name is xyz, and I’ve been appointed to the post of assistant teacher. Standing here, it’s like “Deja Vu, all over again”—(at this point you may get a chuckle from the students, which is good...it disarms them and you’ve broken the ice)—reminiscent of the times when I was a student at this school. I will do my best to play a constructive role in fulfilling the objectives of this institution and look forward to see you achieve your greatest potential!

Thank you

Is this verbal or written in a packet?...it matters.. this interpretation is for in front of the class that first day!
Remember, you have only one chance to make a first impression...you muff it, your dead!

Good Luck!
hedy mmm

Topic: I don't think so
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2019 8:01:03 PM
Touché Born Villain...Applause

Darn to Tim Burton, now I like him less...if that’s possible.
An interview with an actor is to help his career, not provoke...d'oh!

Johnny Depp is a little crazy, but so am I Whistle ...after seeing the movie “Edward Scissorhand” and Johnny’s stint on, I think “Jump Street”, for me he could do no wrong! The man is super talented, brilliant in fact, always thought outside the box, but a tortured soul...I guess that’s what Hollywood does...”uses you and spits you out”

hedy
Dancing

Topic: I don't think so
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2019 11:31:18 AM
Actually, I think it meant that he disagreed.
If he agreed, he would have said, “I don’t think so either”
The clue is in the remainder of the sentence...it’s a bit of a put-down, I think.

You’re correct thou thar, that in the verbal stance, it would be clarified.
For example:
If cheerfully/without rancor, he says: “I don’t think so, although...” (He’s in agreement)
If his demeanor is not cheerful, the sentence states that he was in total disagreement! Yikes!

Delivery is important...

Sorry, alertec I was writing my response and crossed my slow post with you...

Forgive me and thank you alertec... and welcome to TFD forum!
hedy mmm

Topic: Wonder
Posted: Friday, August 9, 2019 9:53:26 PM
Sentence (2) is correct...just remove the quote marks...I’m assuming they are there to distinguish the words in question only.

Topic: an example of beauty
Posted: Friday, August 9, 2019 11:32:27 AM
Of course nightdream it's correct Applause
The adage “Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder”, defines just that...
For eg. you can describe someone as beautiful, because although not pretty, she has inner beauty (tender, loving, patient, kind, in fact all the fruits of the spirit)....which is ‘an example of beauty’...

Have a blessed weekend!

hedy Dancing

Topic: an example of beauty
Posted: Friday, August 9, 2019 11:31:47 AM
Of course nightdream it's correct Applause
The adage “Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder”, defines just that...
For eg. you can describe someone as beautiful, because although not pretty, she has inner beauty (tender, loving, patient, kind, in fact all the fruits of the spirit)....which is ‘an example of beauty’...

Have a blessed weekend!

hedy Dancing

Topic: Purple Heart Day
Posted: Wednesday, August 7, 2019 9:55:02 AM
I am thrilled that 'Today's Holiday' commemorates the recipients of the Purple Heart.

Last evening I shared my dad's memories of the war, as well as my husband who served in the Air Force, and his brother who, in his 30 yrs in the army, did three tours in Vietnam...his daughter and husband, are graduates of West Point.

My dad, born in 1910, served in WWII and received many honors.

Upon reading TFD today, I called the National Purple Heart Hall of Fame, and will be getting the info of all the awards my dad received during his life in the military"

There is no QUESTION in my mind that my beloved USA, is more so now than ever...
"Home of the Free, Because of the Brave"

hedy mmm
q

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.