The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Profile: hedy mmm
About
User Name: hedy mmm
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests: Reading, flying, hunting, singing, designing jewelry, painting, studying the bible, volunteering
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 1,184
[0.13% of all post / 0.71 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Texting
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2019 12:40:46 PM
C185445 wrote:
It's not that I'm old, but I find kind of sad how quite often people just walk along the streets with their phones almost attached to their faces texting and doing stuff. I prefer to use those moments to relax my eyesights and just relax, but some people just cannot let it go. The other day I went to a restaurant and EVERYONE was just texting instead of talking to one another. I found it pretty creepy.
But I guess everyone is free to do what they please, don't want to sound too judgamental

8BooksOfSengathe wrote:
NEVER TEXT & DRIVE !
DO NOT WALK WHILE TEXTING !
Leave yourself some text-free time
everyday, for piece of mind. :)

C185445, I'm not that old either, and it is (horribly) sad...also inconsiderate, selfish & rude...I saw a couple in a restaurant with kids, no less, all with their eyes glued to their phones...
there IS no talking...it IS creepy...it is NOT judgemental...it's discernment...Applause

My grandson Chris came to my house on his way to school one morning, at 7:30am, for he had stepped in dog poop (which grossed him out!) and all BECAUSE he was texting his friend!! He knew grandma (me) would clean his sneaker and drive him to school so he wouldn't be late, for his dad & mom had already left for work...
After doing a good job of cleaning his sneaker, I read him the riot act...he understood!
At 14 he knows better than to mess with grandma even if he is 9" taller than I (I'm 4'11") Whistle

8BooksOfSengathe...your advise is perfect Applause ...I trust my grandson Chris has learned it!

It is so true: "Technology has connected the world and disconnected all the humans"...I don't and won't do text...

BTW C185445, ¡Hola! & welcome to TFD forum...Bienvenido Dancing

"God graced us with today....don't waste it." hedy
Topic: ...
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 10:24:43 AM
Tara 2 wrote:

The better phrase to use to refer to the 3 dots being used to indicate a pause in speech is Suspension point...

Am I correct in assuming Tara 2 that you were pausing when threading?...of course, most of us posters are left in suspension, or more appropriately, suspended or in suspense...not knowing why you've paused!

Tara 2, Take us out of this quandary, please!
hedy d'oh!

Topic: etc or etc.
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2019 5:53:44 PM
I stand corrected...BobShilling & Jyrrktä Jätkä...I should indicate that it's in AE.
Sorry d'oh!

Topic: It is cool/cooling here.
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2019 5:46:49 PM
Ashwin wrote:
(Of course, not in NY where the temps have been in the single digits...
brrrrrrr....Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing

I like the style.

Yikes! Ashwin, you like the style?... of writer or of weather or? d'oh!

I wonder what kind of temperatures are in exotic lands such as Jandiāla Guru in Punjab? Think
...probably around 50°F, possibly fog...does anybody know? Think

While here in New York it's 30°F...cold enough to "freeze the hair off a frog". Brick wall
The only redeeming quality in all this is that on February 2nd, Punxsutawney Phil, (the groundhog) did predict we will NOT have 6 more weeks of winter!! Yeah!
He's been predicting since 1887, with a 35% chance of being right...but who cares? We believe him 100% of the time...We think "He's COOL"
?..and I IS ready for Spring!
Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing

Topic: See through the window
Posted: Saturday, February 9, 2019 11:00:49 PM
It was Chinese New Year.
Everyone was set off the firecracker.
My son wanted to go outside to see the firecracker but it was too many smoke outside.
"See through the window" I told him to go to the window and see outside.

Does it sound natural?

It was Chinese New Year.
Everyone was setting off firecrackers.
My son wanted to go outside to see the fireworks but there was too much smoke.
"You can look through the window" I told him.

Now it does...

Topic: It is cool/cooling here.
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2019 10:00:06 AM
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
Helsinki is one of the first cities in the world to have introduced the central cooling, with the same pipes they use for central heating.
That's cool.

I like that Jyrkkä Jätkä it is 'very cool'! Applause
(Of course, not in NY where the temps have been in the single digits...brrrrrrr!) d'oh!

Topic: etc or etc.
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2019 9:45:35 AM
No, 'etc.' is correct.

Topic: Eraser dust?
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2019 11:19:05 AM
bihunsedap wrote:
My son asked what those are?
Eraser dust?

Romany is on the right track...they are in fact "little bits of rubber", that 'rub off' pencil marks.
In AE we call them eraser or pencil eraser...we do not call them 'rubbers' ...that is a whole different meaning...yikes!)

Eraser dust is what you get with a blackboard eraser...in the classroom, you'd ask a student to clean the blackboard, which uses a felt rectangular shaped item that removes the "dust", and you could follow up with water to remove it entirely and not leave a residue.

However, there are more than just those kinds of erasers...pen eraser, crayon eraser, gum and charcoal eraser, (used especially for pencil drawings).

Hope this was helpful...
hedy

Topic: It
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2019 11:08:16 PM
Audiendus wrote:
You state that you would say "It's Bob's turn to do the cleaning", not "Bob's turn is to do the cleaning". So would I. Since we agree that the "it" is necessary here, I would contend that it is also necessary in "That's Bob, whose turn it is to do the cleaning."

It's Bob's job to do the cleaning.
That's Bob, whose job it is to do the cleaning.

Bob's job is to do the cleaning.
That's Bob, whose job is to do the cleaning.

It's Bob's turn to do the cleaning.
That's Bob, whose turn it is to do the cleaning.

Awesome Audiendus, you nailed itApplause ...your sentences are perfect...they read natural.

BTW RuthP, to quote her correctly, the entire quote stated "...it is not wrong, it's just not necessary, it reflects a style not commonly used today."
So we agree, if it's not used today, how can it be correct!

Audiendus, thank you for understanding my use of that emoji...Dancing
I'm just so sorry that Bob is stuck doing the cleaning d'oh! ...better him than you or me!

Last but not least, Atatürk, thank you for your thread & accolades...you are learning correctly! Applause

hedy

Topic: Elizabeth "Bessie" Coleman (1892)
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2019 11:53:35 AM
Awesome story...very sad ending.

Before 9/11 I was going for my Pilots license and doing very good, clocked 60hrs in the air and took the ground classes (I was 60)...but after the Twin Towers tragedy my mom didn't want me to fly...she was afraid I'd be in danger...although it wasn't possible, (nobody would hijack a 2-seater plane!) I stopped altogether...

My adage still is: "Life is not a dress rehearsal...there are seven days a week...'Someday' isn't one of them"

Elizabeth "Bessie" Coleman R.I.P. I will see you in glory...

hedy

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.