Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 743
[0.08% of all post / 0.36 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Re: All Of This Panic Could Have Been Prevented
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2020 7:27:36 PM
Hope:

I am so sorry to hear about your friend. Stop reading for now. Nothing will change quickly and the news will only be bad. Take a break. It's best to shut down and read a good book. Getting upset is not healthy for you. This is not going away soon, and people need to embrace that fact and just push on. We can get through it but we need to work together.

Landmark today, the US has surpassed China, yippee for us, (tongue firmly embedded in cheek) I never wanted to see anyone win this race...it's best to come in last on this one.

Take care all and try to stay safe and well.
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2020 11:09:38 PM
Oscar:

Nice to know...thanks and I hope you stay safe.

Update from this morning, the province where I live has just reported 2 new cases. We had been virus free for the last 30 days but yesterday we had one case reported and now today our second.

No one knows what this means yet, other than it's back. Time will tell and now all we can do is wait and see.

Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2020 6:51:07 PM
To be fair, and Hope you are right, it's not just the US who didn't take action quick enough. The President and many others around the world had the lesson from China and should have heeded it. China bought the world time and yet no one was willing to learn. Governments around the world then tried, but people around the world did stupid things.

So Oscar, are you saying you would have been willing to have our President LOCK-DOWN the entire country weeks ago and force people to stay home and do what China did??? Do you think anyone would have listened???

It's time we stop blaming the government for what citizens didn't do. Young people who flaunted the order to not gather, others who find it funny to cough on people or food, people who are still in denial...and the list goes on.

I find it ironic, I came back to China on Feb 6th, and people back home kept telling me I was insane. I felt fine with the decision I had made because at that time if I was to catch it I'd rather be in a place that was more equipped to deal with it, not in the US where we had maybe 6 cases in total and people still had no clue.

I went into a mandatory quarantine, and YES they put a camera outside my front door to make sure I didn't break the rules. I stayed home and wasn't even allowed to open my front door, throw out my trash or buy food. I managed. Then after the 14 days I only went out to buy food and came right back to my apartment. I have been under lock-down protocol for 7 weeks, and only this week have I started to venture out again.

We have been virus free since March 9th where I live, totally clear until yesterday when one case was reported in my city. The virus came back here via a US student (just a coincidence in my opinion and not a statement on our country) That person was caught at the airport taken to a government hotel where they will be isolated and treated. As of now that is the only known case in my province and time will tell.

Are we all scared of this thing coming back...you bet. The people in China learned the hard way to take this threat seriously, they have paid a high price and they are showing the rest of the world what it will take to fight it. Now I hope the rest of the world is ready to learn and take the actions needed to attempt to quell this pandemic.

This is not going away soon. It will take time. We are learning that this may have begun as early as mid-December. I do remember reading something about a new "flu" at the end of December. Things began to happen by Jan. 7th, and then Jan. 20, China locked-down Wuhan and the surrounding areas. Waiting that long gave this virus a head-start. The world saw it, yet when the virus broke out of China the world didn't heed the message.

I can understand people get panicked and others go into denial, but when faced with facts it's time to listen and do what you must. I am in shock as I watch young people around the world doing stupid things, thinking they are funny, acting as it this thing will not touch them, we are learning this virus doesn't really care what age you are. I am more sad by attitudes around the world (and especially in the US) that feel older people should die, we have no value and if we were to die maybe it would be best. The leadership in Texas is deeply troubling, asking those who are older to "take one for the sake of the country???" Are you kidding me! What will that prove?

People get used to the fact our global economy will be shit for a long time...not the first time we have faced this and not the last, and we will deal with it, and move on. Will everyone feel it...sure. Maybe a little hit to our pockets will get people to start thinking about others and the collective pain. We have been very lucky in the US to have had years of relative good times, now we need to face the fact that hard times are here.

Let's stop pointing fingers and finding someone to blame and let's face it, we will all need to work together to get through this. Do we have poor leadership in the US currently, (rhetorical question which I won't bother to answer)Whistle But the larger question is what are you doing about it in your own backyard?

If you are not taking this seriously, if you insist, your rights are more important than protecting those around you, if you feel that you are more important than anyone else, well then, you are part of the reason this virus will not be contained anytime soon. If however, you do your part and stay home, practice proper hygiene, and care that others are affected by your actions, then we may just see some light at the end of this very long tunnel...oh this is not going to be contained by April 6th...so dream on.

As someone who has lived and worked in China for over 12 years, I can tell you that the steps they have taken here are working and we just need to get over the fact that China has done well...As someone who has lived in China through this event, you need to know the steps will work, but it will mean everyone gets serious. This is not a 30 min. sitcom where the ending happens and all is good in one episode, be prepared, it will strike again, and the 2nd time is worse.

So Mr. Oscar, are you as the new vocabulary says, "sheltering in place," practicing "social distancing," and doing all you can? Or are you only concerned with pointing fingers of blame and hoping this will go away without anymore inconvenience to you. Again a rhetorical question.

Sorry, I'm just getting tired of listening to people bitching and blaming. I can tell you I have been without paid work for 2 months now and I'm facing a 3rd month soon. I feel the pain of this and know first hand it's not easy...from that vantage point I implore everyone, just do your part, please!
Topic: What is your country doing to “flatten the curve” of the Covid-19 virus?
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2020 8:05:00 PM
Hope:

Yep I am from the US and I want to emphasize that China has done very well after it woke up to the fact this wasn't just the "flu" It is true that democracy in these circumstances is not as effective as a government that just takes control and does what has to be done. While the goal of the company where I work is to teach English, my larger goal is to teach critical thinking skills. This has been a good example of why we need more critical thinkers and not just "herd" mentality. I stress constantly to my students to check the SOURCE and be sure not to pass rumors. In the first days of this there were so many rumors and stupid advice being sent out on Chinese social media...but once the government stepped up and cracked down, then we started getting better and more factual information flowing out.

Check out the SOURCE, then check it again with other SOURCES and know that it's good info before sharing, that is just a good rule to follow.

I just hope more Western countries will look at what China is doing now and follow it, they are doing the right protocols and it is working. Yesterday was the first time in over 7 weeks I actually went out of my home area. I took a public bus for the first time since I got back to China on Feb. 6th. I have to say it was actually nice. Buses here tend to be really crowded and packed but yesterday finding a seat, no problem, and clean, it was amazing! I hate to say it but I think I may really like this NEW China that is cleaner (if indeed they keep it up).

People are starting to return to life here but it's been slow. China got tough and did a total lock-down on Feb. 1st and it took until last week for things to ease up. It's been 6 weeks of lock-down, it will take time and people need to go slow and not rush it or this thing WILL come back with a even worse result.

There will be an economic impact no matter what, but if we don't suck it up now we will be facing further problems down the road with 2nd or even 3rd bouts of it. Take the pain now...just do it. Our company has been shut down for 8 weeks. We have been paying our staff 50% which is very hard because we have NO income so our reserves are being eaten up. We are facing at least one more month of no work and if it goes beyond that we most likely will shut for good. Everyone is concerned, but we all know that if we do not do what we have been asked to do we could be doing great harm in the long run. Even when we can open again which we hope will be May first. (Mind you we should have opened back from Chinese New Years on Feb. 5)...so 12 weeks of no income! We are not sure how many of our students will come back, or even what their public school schedule will be like. We teach most of our students on Sat/Sun but now we are being told to prepare for losing one of those days to the public school. Chinese kids will go back we hope April 20 and they will have to attend school 6 days a week for many months to come and NO summer break this year. They must make up the lost time but it will be very hard.

China has been at this longer than any other country so it is wisdom for others to see what we are doing and see what mistakes we have made and learn! I can't emphasize that enough. Before I became a teacher in China, I was an entrepreneur, I worked with the SBDCs in the US and helped small business people to grow their companies...I get it. However, stuff like this is something you can't really prepare for but you just need to do what you can to ride it out. That's what we have been trying to do.

I wish everyone the best in these hard times, remember if we can all just work together we can pull through and find that life can continue, it will not be as it was but it will continue.
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2020 7:38:34 AM
Hope:

Here is a website link: https://www.hngn.com/articles/228195/20200228/coronavirus-reinfection-possible-fatal-second-time.htm

this is an article that talks about getting the virus a 2nd time and the outcome of a 2nd infection. It was one of a handful I have found doing an internet search in the last week.

A few news sites have done some reporting but the truth is no one can say anything with certainty because this COVID-19 is so new and they don't have enough data to make concrete information available. 60 days ago, I would have told you based on the information we had, it's the 'flu', but today this is more than the 'flu' and we need to take steps to protect ourselves and others.

You have my permission to re-post but just use my initials please because I am not really at liberty to be saying much because of where I live. I hope you can understand that.
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2020 7:49:02 PM
While China is not my country I do live here and have been back here since Feb. 6th. I have to say that the Chinese have done an amazing job once they got a handle on it. I am so sorry to say the rest of the world didn't take notice or listen.

Here in the Northeast we have been virus free in my province since March 9th and fully recovered (only one death) since March 16. Our public schools have not opened yet and we hope they will open next month. Meantime our business which is an after-school program can't open until the government tells us we can. So my teachers wait and stay at home.

We are now no longer on full lock-down but we are still keeping a distance, washing our hands, using masks etc.

China is now preparing for re-infection by those who will come back here. In order to stem that tide you can NO LONGER fly directly to Beijing. You will be diverted to one of three airports set up to check flights and then if you have the virus you will be taken off the flight and isolated at that location. Those who can continue will fly into Beijing where you are checked again and if you show signs you will be isolated at that location.

Some people have tried to lie about having the virus but China has caught them and if they are Chinese they face jail time and stiff fines. China is very serious about this. If Beijing wasn't your final destination you will be flown to that place and then checked again and finally at that location you are taken to a government hotel and isolated for 14 days at your own expense.

Needless to say China really doesn't want you here right now. On a positive note Wuhan where this all began, is now 6 days without a single case, we need to get to 14 before they will be considered clear but then they won't be totally clear until the last person recovers.

Please note, re-infection is the more serious threat. So much is NOT known but from reputable sources like the CDC, WHO they are now saying those who get this a 2nd time face a bigger risk. This is serious, this is real, the rest of the world needs to lock-down and take action...the longer people go into denial the longer we will all suffer.
Topic: COVID-19
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2020 7:32:43 PM
Dear Foundit:

Thank you for posting that response as it was extremely clear and to the point. As someone living in China and going through this right now I also want to stress how important it is for people to not panic, follow the rules and guidelines from the CDC, and mostly practice "social" distancing for now. That has proven to be effective in this fight.

Remember the mantra..."No one needs your germs!" Whistle

I have been back to China since Feb. 6th and as of yesterday my Province was officially virus free. We only had 93 known cases, and only 1 death and as of yesterday everyone else recovered. Now the trick will be to remain virus free.

I hope other countries will learn from China and follow the protocol. It took us 60 days to achieve this status, so be prepared. This is not going away tomorrow, but it will go away then it will be up to us to keep it gone. Together we can do it. Applause

Topic: is the sentence 'as a good fit' is write here??
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2020 6:16:53 PM
Danyaaa

One more thing, you wrote: is write here, but I believe you meant right...not the same word meaning but the same sound.

Write is what we do when we want to say something but instead of using words we speak we put them down on paper. We write them

Right means to be correct.

Just wanted to point that out.
Topic: Jonas Jonasson any fans?
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2020 12:14:36 AM
I returned to China 3 weeks ago and had to do a self-quarantine, not sure why but it was required. Trust me I did not come from anywhere the virus had taken hold, nor was I exposed but its the rules. Given that I had time on my hands I decided to read the book I had picked up while in the airport, from author Jonas Jonasson.

I had read his first two books, The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared" and "The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden." I found both to be good fun. His latest book, "Hitman Anders and the Meaning of It All" was also a fun diversion. I think his style is rather quirky and makes for lighthearted joyful reading.

I was wondering if anyone else has read his books and what you thought of them. BTW, the movie of his first book was okay, but the book was so much better.

Oh in case anyone cares, no I don't have the virus, yes I chose to return to China, and NO I am not afraid I will get sick. I am sick however of being on lock-down and just wish we could all get back to "normal" which will never again be "normal"...just saying

Topic: Did You Know? #14 - Flu Vaccines Toxins
Posted: Saturday, February 22, 2020 5:31:32 PM
My mama always said "common sense" wasn't "common" and I stand by that...