Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 661
[0.07% of all post / 0.43 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: 'America' - the right pronunciation
Posted: Saturday, September 1, 2018 6:49:10 PM
It depends on where you are from as to how you will put the accent on the word.

I am from the Western part of the US and we say a-mer-a-kah, (phonetic) however some people from other parts of the US may put the accent on another part or say the first vowel with more of an "ah" sound, so it may sound like ah-mer-ah-kah

Recently I find that I'd rather not tell anyone where I am from....Whistle In a few more years that may change...

"Your life matters more than you will ever know, so live it well"
Topic: correct English
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2018 9:01:01 PM
Just curious, was this from an IELTS exam?

Topic: arrgh w-w glitch is so frustrating!!!!!!
Posted: Saturday, July 7, 2018 6:45:46 PM
Whoever:

Okay I am not in a really good mood right now...I was entering words into the w-w game and I had done about 25 when the game decided to reset back and only take 4 of the 25 losing 21 words I had already entered. This is not the first time it's done this but usually its a word or two not 21!!!!!!

Has anyone else had this issue?????

What is up with this????

Why is it doing this????

Can it be fixed please, please, please.....

I like playing the game and usually will spend about 40 minutes doing this game each morning before I go off to work...but if it continues to lose my words I'm so done!

AAARRGH!!!!!!!

Shame on you

Topic: Word in word glitch
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2018 5:58:26 PM
Is anyone else having this issue???? I play the old version and lately it has a glitch...you type in words and they seem to take and then they will disappear as if you never typed them in...

So I have a word right now TWEETER and it has 21 possible words...I had 14 typed in when it re-set to 6 and somehow I lost 8 of the ones I had typed in.

I am not sure why this is happening but it's rather annoying! I wish someone would look into it and fix it please.

Topic: What do these parts mean in this case?
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2018 6:42:03 PM
Parpar1836:

I agree with all you wrote! I am a teacher of English in China and I created a college skills program here for Chinese students who are going abroad. The biggest problem I face here is that some students want ONLY short-cuts and they are not willing to put in the time or effort it takes to really master the language so they can succeed when they go abroad. I don't mind helping anyone who wants to really learn English but I have NO time anymore for those looking for a quick fix, they just don't seem to understand in the end the quick fix isn't the answer.

I strongly agree that when starting out keep it simple. Read lower level books and gain a deeper command of the language then challenge yourself to move up. Don't start with "War and Peace" instead start with "Green Eggs and Ham" you will find it's much better to feel the joy of mastering it then the dread you are failing.

Heck, I've been trying for years now to learn Chinese...I am still working out of Kindergarten books...(it would probably help if I hired a tutor but I have no time), I do my best and slowly I will pick up more...but I know better than to try to read Chinese classics at this point. I'm just pleased I can read the Chinese equivalent of "Dick and Jane". Whistle

Learning language (in my humble opinion) takes time and effort...there are NO short cuts.

Topic: What do these parts mean in this case?
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2018 6:03:59 PM
Dear Maggie O:

You are reading a book? Let me guess you are new to English, and you are reading a book that is using language in a very complicated way so it's hard for you to understand, correct?

Suggestion, find an easier book to read and come back to this book at a later time when you have more grasp of the language. Also, don't try to figure it out sentence by sentence, word by word. Instead, just read and see if you can grasp the meaning the more you read.

Having said all the above I will do my best to explain the following, oh and by the way...what book are you reading? What level is your English, maybe I can suggest a better book for you to try.

Question 1: What's the meaning of ' critically ignored, genre-oriented?'

The first phrase "critically ignored" means that those who are regarded as "critics" people who comment on things, "ignored" tended to not comment on this type of thing, and in this case it would be the category of book this person wrote.

Question 2: What's the meaning of 'the feeling seeming to be that some outlet for the baser instincts should be provided?'

In simple language, sex.

Question 3: What's the meaning of 'plot crossroads?'

Here the writer is saying that in the process of writing the book the plot of the book had reached a point where the character had to make a choice and the writer was having problems on what choice the character should make. He could also be alluding to his own life...hard to tell without reading more of the book.

Question 4: In this case, what's the meaning of 'at some point?'

A point in time that is not specified or specific.

Question 5: In this case, what's the meaning of 'compensate?'

To be paid for what one does, in this case he writes a specific type of book and is paid for doing that work.

If you are new to English and you are trying to improve your language skills then reading is a great way to help. I encourage you to keep reading...however, try finding books that are closer to the level where you are at and then increase your reading skills by picking more challenging materials. It's very hard when you are first starting out to read books in English that are packed with idioms and allude to things that a native speaker would not have any problems figuring out, for you they will present a huge challenge.

I hope this helps.

LRai

Topic: God is in the details, yes, but in ALL the details big and small
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2018 7:47:39 PM
Dear Vkhu:

It's a matter of faith. I will venture to guess that the person who wrote this is a person of such faith that they have decided to leave the "choice" in the hands of "his" faith or beliefs.

That is the best way I can describe what this means without getting preachy.

Faith is subjective for many people.

lr

Topic: Gene Wilder (1933)
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 6:11:19 PM
NHF:

I don't get why they are out of date...I went on-line and was able to get the right info and I live in China...LOL

You'd think they'd at least take the time to be sure what is posted is at least current. Then again...it's only a web-site in a sea of them.

Ditto...he will always be Willy Wonka for me too. :)

Topic: It had been one of those kinds of days
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 2:47:05 AM
mcurrent:

Not having more to go on I can only make the following assumption (as a Native Speaker), that what is implied is that the person had been having a bad day. Usually when we use that phrase "It had been ONE of THOSE kind of days" we are implying that the day had gone bad from the start, and may have even gotten worse as it progressed.

If you look at another clue in this text, the person Bryce was limping which implies he got hurt and Griffin was upset by something which from the text we can't be sure what. The next sentence gives us a little more insight that all this person wanted was to be back where it was "safe" and eat something then go to bed so this "bad" day would be over.

I hope that helps.

Topic: Gene Wilder (1933)
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 12:33:55 AM
I thought something was missing...Gene Wilder passed away and that date doesn't appear in the article

June 11, 1933 – August 29, 2016

He was an amazing actor and one of my personal favorites... thankfully his movies will live on.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.