User Name: L.Rai
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 810
[0.07% of all post / 0.28 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Gorno-Badakhshan pray for peace
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2022 6:07:07 PM
I am not going to talk about politics, I just wanted to ask for everyone to please pray for peace for this area in Tajikistan where this week the unrest has boiled over. Many people have been killed, I know because I have four staff members who work for me who are from this region in Tajikistan. Please pray for peace and that the killings will stop. Thanks.
Topic: on/at last Mid-Autumn Festival vacation.
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2022 1:11:19 AM
sb70012:

Mid-Autumn Festival usually happens in Sept/Oct (15th day of the 8th lunar month) and it's a couple of days (3 this year). In 2022 it will be celebrated Sept 10-12.

I would delete the on/at and just say "I was busy last mid-Autumn Festival." We usually don't say vacation. You might take vacation at that time but the holiday is just Mid-Autumn Festival.

Mid-Autumn Festival is also known as Moon Festival or Mooncake Festival.

Happy Mid-Autumn Festival! Chinese: 中秋节快乐! Pinyin: zhōng qiū jié kuài lè

Just thought you might like the additional info.

lrai
Topic: Chaozhou's specialties
Posted: Friday, March 4, 2022 5:28:35 PM
Dear SB70012:

If you write or say it like this: One of Chaozhou's specialties is Kung Fu tea.

then the 's must be there b/c it's possessive.

If however you write or say it like this: Kung Fu tea is a Chouzhou specialty. Or A Chouzhou specialty is Kung Fu tea.

then you don't need the 's

The rule I use is if the item belongs to a (noun) person, place or thing, then it is possessive to that person, place or thing. I suggest when in doubt you use the Grammar section of this site and look it up. It's very useful.

Good question.
Topic: drink/drunk driving
Posted: Saturday, January 29, 2022 5:22:38 PM
Too bad I can't travel at this time b/c I would be a great person to go on that tour as I don't drink. A good way to have some fun and get paid to stay sober...LOL :)
Topic: Neologism Request
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2022 12:03:37 AM
okay I suppose you could say bioresolutist bio=life and resolute= determined ist=person, so a person who is determined to live.
Topic: curious about some links
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2022 11:57:39 PM
I have debated about asking this question, but I'd really like an answer, why is it that some topics on the homepage no longer link to the article?

Grammar point for example used to take you to the article about that grammar point and now it doesn't. Holiday used to link to the article but no more. Why is that?

I really miss the daily grammar article as I found them very helpful. If anyone has an answer please enlighten me, thanks

REVISED: I knew the minute I posted this the problem would be resolved...LOL The articles have returned...okay, no problem
Topic: Time to Censor Social Media? An Infodemic of Covid Disinformation!
Posted: Sunday, December 19, 2021 1:26:44 AM
Hope:

I totally understand you point. Here in China we don't have this issue because the gov't does control things that go on social media. It has it's good and bad points. However, facts are what we need, and if people would be willing to sacrifice a bit maybe we could all go back to something close to "normal" but so many in the "West" refuse to sacrifice so we continue to have this issue 2 years later.

China has proven time and again that being strict about COVID and getting people vaccinated is working. I have been here since the start and even if I could leave I wouldn't because it's just not safe now to go back to the US. I am safer here and have been from the get-go. Sorry if there are those of you who don't agree...I am speaking from personal first hand knowledge. If have been in China for the last 2 years and I have not been exposed, oh I am also not vaccinated yet (a very long story). I feel perfectly safe, but I also can't go anywhere outside of my own city. Yes it's restrictive, but it's been a small price to pay for being well.

While others in the "West" have continued to play games and not take this seriously, China has taken a hard stance and it's paid off. You may not like China but at least they are not taking risks. If other countries had just followed suit maybe we'd be seeing the light at the end of this tunnel and not just the TRAIN about to hit us again.

LR
Topic: during/at Chinese New Year
Posted: Monday, December 13, 2021 12:12:14 AM
Clyde:

You are correct, Chinese New Years (CNY) lasts 15 days and yes they would wear new clothes for the duration of the festival.

We can say "at" but I agree "on" would be more likely to be said, however since the festival is so long during is much better.
Topic: Guys, are any of you familiar with the phrase "take est" ("She hasn't liked him since he took est")?
Posted: Saturday, November 20, 2021 5:51:47 PM
EST stands for Erhard Seminars Training

Everything Ash wrote is dead-on...if you want more info you can search it.

Werner Erhard was the only one who ultimately got rich off of EST.

Here is one link I found: https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Erhard_Seminars_Training
Topic: Hypomania
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2021 6:28:32 PM
Is there an answer to the questions of which explorer? I have read the article but no answer appears.