User Name: PlanetOfGiants
Forum Rank: Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 61
[0.01% of all post / 0.02 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Cameraphone or Phone Camera?
Posted: Thursday, April 8, 2021 1:11:05 PM
On the BBC Radio Four news, it was stated that cameraphones were used to record an incident.

Surely it is more accurate to say Phone Cameras? When I buy a smart phone, I want a phone first, with the camera as a bonus. If I was buying a camera, I wouldn't expect it to be able to make phone calls!
Topic: either both
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2021 1:49:07 PM
BobShilling wrote:
The chair (singular) could be on only one side of the fireplace.

Despite that, in some car parks (and roads) you see signs reading "Use Both Lanes" or similar.

In car parks it would be impossible without crashing the car!

On roads, it would be hazardous to other road users!

The reason for the signs saying both is because traffic is treated as an entity; traffic is made up of individual persons each of which expecting to see a sign reading "Use Either Lane".

Topic: The unstabilty of the English language on the BBC
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2021 12:39:59 AM
Heard on the BBC (Radio) World Service this morning: unstability

Entered into TFD - response was:

unstability
Word not found in the Dictionary and Encyclopedia.
Did you mean:

instability

Lord Reith would have turned in his grave if he heard this non-word on the service he said should ... educate ... (the people)
Topic: Who is getting places?
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2021 12:48:08 AM
Seen on a BBC News website in an article "Poor whites in 'left behind' towns miss out on uni"; "By Sean Coughlan"

"Who is getting places?" is a sub-headline in the article.

Surely it should be "Who are getting places?" or "Who is getting a place?"
Topic: 'or' or "nor"
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2021 1:49:27 PM
This morning, on the BBC World Service, the "educated" financial journalist used the neither + or combination!

At about 05:18 GMT it sounded so WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!!!
Topic: employed two welders
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2021 3:52:04 PM
raymondaliasapollyon wrote:
Hi,

I'd like to know if "employed" is used properly in the following sentence. Does it mean the same as "hired"?

The factory employed two new welders yesterday.

I'd appreciate your help.

In British English, that seems to be a common phrase that might be used; in the UK we tend to hire things rather than people to do jobs.
Topic: Too Many Prefixes?
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2021 11:44:03 AM
From a BBC News website:

"...parcels should contain food items rather than pre-prepared meals due to food safety considerations"

Is 'pre-prepared' necessary here, shouldn't it be either just 'prepared' or possibly 'ready prepared'?
Topic: STAND FOR DEMOCRACY and PRESIDENT TRUMP
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2021 2:56:59 PM
PlanetOfGiants wrote:
Buzzito wrote:
The Radical Left wants to steal the 2020 election. They're behavior is a disgrace to Democracy everywhere.

And the Extreme Right wants to steal it back, using violence if necessary. Is THEIR behavior a disgrace to Democracy everywhere?.

Note corrected spelling!

The Capitol building was placed on lockdown, with senators and members of the House locked inside their chambers, as Congress began debating President-elect Joe Biden’s victory. President Trump addressed supporters near the White House before protesters marched to Capitol Hill.

QED

Nuff said!
Topic: STAND FOR DEMOCRACY and PRESIDENT TRUMP
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2021 1:50:45 PM
Buzzito wrote:
The Radical Left wants to steal the 2020 election. They're behavior is a disgrace to Democracy everywhere.

And the Extreme Right wants to steal it back, using violence if necessary. Is THEIR behavior a disgrace to Democracy everywhere?.

Note corrected spelling!
Topic: Is there a name for these potatoes?
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2020 8:26:31 AM
Wilmar (USA) 1M wrote:
To mention, pasta is made from wheat -- a grain. Potatoes are not a grain, there is actually some variety in this menu item.

Still both sources of carbohydrate, despite your mention! Would expect some protein in a meal that I would eat.