User Name: PlanetOfGiants
Forum Rank: Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 67
[0.01% of all post / 0.03 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: "hit" or "has hit"
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 12:47:26 PM
They look OK to me, the second, "has hit", is referring to a previous event an unspecified period of time ago.
Topic: Spokesperson or non-spokesperson
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2021 2:47:39 AM
It is very often heard on radio and TV news reports that " A spokesperson refused to comment", particularly with respect to a politician's indiscretions

Doesn't that make the person a 'non-spokesperson' (or even possibly their situation completely redundant)?
Topic: Bereaved or Deceased?
Posted: Sunday, May 2, 2021 12:49:50 PM
Decide for yourself, here's the program link

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000vnzn
Topic: Snooker WC
Posted: Sunday, May 2, 2021 12:46:26 PM
thar wrote:
When the snooker overruns, everything else on BBC2 gets pushed aside for the hushed tones of the snooker commentators. Goes on half the night sometimes!

Not just BBC, BBC4 also covers the snooker for the time BBC2 doesn't, and that's even worse for overrunning, don't bother programming your TV box to record any programs, it will be be futile!
Topic: Bereaved or Deceased?
Posted: Sunday, May 2, 2021 12:26:51 PM
On BBC Radio 4 this morning (02 May 20121) a rabbi described one of the victims of the Israeli crush as "bereaved"

Surely to be bereaved you have to be alive, not deceased.
Topic: Thirteen steps, Rube Goldberg klutz?
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2021 4:19:04 PM
Penz wrote:
I have been watching Prison school (A Japanese anime).
Is "Have" correct here as I finished it two days ago??

Anyway,
Context-The students are getting expelled for peeking into the girl's bathroom. The president is saying this while the students climbing the stairway to the office.
"These are truly your "thirteen steps".

Thirteen steps???

There are very often thirteen steps in a flight of stairs in a standard building, so this why he says "These are truly your "thirteen steps".

(in the novel The Thirty Nine Steps refers to three flights of stairs in the Elizabeth Tower that contains Big Ben)

Context- The boys are talking about Gakuto's girlfriend who, based on what Gakuto said, is clumsy. Gakuto is saying it to himself.
Mitsuko-dono is truly not a Rube Goldberg klutz like the others say.

Rube Goldberg klutz??

"This can't be real, maybe it's some sort of trap."
Why not "some sort of a trap" as trap is countable?
Topic: Cameraphone or Phone Camera?
Posted: Thursday, April 8, 2021 1:11:05 PM
On the BBC Radio Four news, it was stated that cameraphones were used to record an incident.

Surely it is more accurate to say Phone Cameras? When I buy a smart phone, I want a phone first, with the camera as a bonus. If I was buying a camera, I wouldn't expect it to be able to make phone calls!
Topic: either both
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2021 1:49:07 PM
BobShilling wrote:
The chair (singular) could be on only one side of the fireplace.

Despite that, in some car parks (and roads) you see signs reading "Use Both Lanes" or similar.

In car parks it would be impossible without crashing the car!

On roads, it would be hazardous to other road users!

The reason for the signs saying both is because traffic is treated as an entity; traffic is made up of individual persons each of which expecting to see a sign reading "Use Either Lane".

Topic: The unstabilty of the English language on the BBC
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2021 12:39:59 AM
Heard on the BBC (Radio) World Service this morning: unstability

Entered into TFD - response was:

unstability
Word not found in the Dictionary and Encyclopedia.
Did you mean:

instability

Lord Reith would have turned in his grave if he heard this non-word on the service he said should ... educate ... (the people)
Topic: Who is getting places?
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2021 12:48:08 AM
Seen on a BBC News website in an article "Poor whites in 'left behind' towns miss out on uni"; "By Sean Coughlan"

"Who is getting places?" is a sub-headline in the article.

Surely it should be "Who are getting places?" or "Who is getting a place?"