User Name: PlanetOfGiants
Forum Rank: Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 50
[0.00% of all post / 0.02 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: side-view mirror
Posted: Tuesday, October 6, 2020 3:52:33 PM
I'm old enough to remember when the external mirrors on a car in the UK were actually on the wings (often very near the front) of the car; hence the term "wing mirrors". Latterly, they have moved to the doors and are sometimes also called "door mirrors" as well as "wing mirrors".
Topic: I'm a duel nationality.
Posted: Sunday, October 4, 2020 3:56:51 AM
"Is it correct to say 'I'm a duel nationality'", surely you mean "dual", not "duel". A duel is a conflict (fight) between two entities.
Topic: husky teddy?
Posted: Thursday, October 1, 2020 12:22:55 PM
A Teddy in the UK (as well as the Teddy Bear) is also used to mean a particular type of female undergarment, an "all in one" that covers both the lower and upper part of the torso. It is quite often worn instead of the typical bra and pants.
Topic: Return from a destination
Posted: Sunday, August 16, 2020 1:54:39 AM
On the BBC news bulletins, is was reported that "...people were returning from France and five other destinations..."

Is that good British English? Surely a destination is the termination of a journey rather than the starting point.

'Location' might have been a better word to use in this case.
Topic: That fan is going that way.
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2020 11:21:42 AM
tautophile wrote

"Usually, if you're running an oscillating fan, you want it to oscillate so as to move as much air in the room as much as possible, and to blow some of the air over you at least part of the time, to help keep you cool. If the fan is on, but not oscillating, and is pointing away from you, then you might not get as much cooling benefit from the moving air."

From a practical point of view, just moving air about in a room has no actual cooling effect on the room as a whole; in fact the fan motor will slightly heat up the room!. The only way to feel cooler is to have moisture evaporated from your body, which is why being in line with the moving air gives a person the cooling effect.

The only way to cool a room down is by removing the heat and dumping it outside the room (Air Conditioning Units on building exteriors). For example:- A fridge cools by removing the heat from the inside compartment(s) and dissipating it on the outside at the back of the cabinet.
Topic: little donny the carnival barker
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2020 8:25:34 AM
Is he like Billy Bigelow with a blond wig?. The sooner he gets off the Carousel and Walk(s) On the better in my humble opinion.
Topic: Unaccurate Grammar?
Posted: Wednesday, May 6, 2020 10:41:49 AM
On BBC Radio 4 this morning, a person calling themselves the Mayor of Middlesborough used the word "unaccurate" to suggest that a statement was not correct. Why, in all my 60+ years on this earth have I never heard that word before? The presenter did not appear to notice the inaccurate use of the grammar. The BBC is supposed to be educating it's listeners, but this was just another example of highly paid people appearing on the radio and using bad grammar. I have also heard incorrect usage of indefinite articles and tautologies, pretty much at least once per day on one programme or another.
Topic: longest word
Posted: Monday, May 4, 2020 1:14:58 PM
pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis
Topic: longest word
Posted: Monday, May 4, 2020 1:11:53 PM
floccinaucinihilipilification "estimating as worthless"
Topic: Both the US and Iran are not taking responsibility for... [the usage of 'both']
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2019 12:33:57 PM
Here in the UK, we have signs that state "Use Both Lanes" seen on roads and in some car parks. In the latter case, this is usually impossible due to to demarcators between the lanes!

What it should say is "Use Either Lane"; this is because a vehicle driver is an individual.

"Use Both Lanes" treats vehicle drivers as a collective group (traffic) and therefore appears to be correct.