User Name: Marek Guman
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 154
[0.02% of all post / 0.07 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Only in Malaysia can we
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2020 5:10:57 PM
I was not sure why this happens, so I searched the web. "Negative words cause inversion of a following subject and auxiliary. This includes not only obvious negatives like 'never', 'nowhere', 'in no way', but words such as 'only', 'scarcely', 'hardly', 'seldom', and 'few'."

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/Negative-Adverbs.htm

(The quotation is from other source)
Topic: lavash (flatbread)
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2020 2:12:19 PM
Hello,

I am not a native speaker and I live in Slovakia, but FWIW, I know lavash bread. There is a restaurant in our city, the owner of which is a proud Armenian (wifi password is armenia1), and they serve it, although not very often. I don't think I would know the word without the restaurant. The only other word for flatbread we hear around here is pita I think.
Topic: same troubles ... as ususal ...
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2020 3:39:51 AM
GAMME Gonzo wrote:
GAMME Gonzo wrote:
unable to play ... the App said: "No Internet connection. Please turn off airplane mode and/or turn on WiFi an try again.", but this isn't true because I'm online ... what could we do about this? ... Have this problem since 3 days ...Brick wall

iPad Pro + iPhone6s + Mac Book Pro
Today: 13. Sept. 2020 same troubles.

Are you on Wifi when this happens? It always helped me to turn off wifi and switch to data service. I mean, if we're talking WordHub app.
Topic: Spelling Bee Practice
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2020 4:49:52 AM
Wilmar (USA) 1M wrote:
Hello.... Anyone there?

Which feature of the game allows a person to average 13.5 points per word?

thx.

Hello, first of all, 3160/234 = 12.4, it is not 13.5.

You get 15 points for 30 expert level words a day in Spelling bee, every word above 30 scores 1 point. So it is very well possible to average 12.44 points per word in 5 days. What is interesting though is that 3160 is a very high score, when you take into account the way I described you can score 5x30x15 = 2250 points, plus some 1 point words (234-5*30=234-150 words, i.e. 84 words in this case). My summary is a good example, because I play the game every day - I won 161 times and got 2247 points in the last 5 days (that is an average 13.96 per word).

Are you sure it was 3160 points in 5 days?

Topic: 'sharer' badge
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2020 4:13:45 PM
Hello, in my experience these don't work. When I share an article or a Hangman game result, and I make sure some of my facebook friends have read it, I see no progress in the badge status, and for the same reason I cannot complete any of the sharing goals. Maybe the key really is how many friends view the shared link? I don't know, forum users complain about it from time to time, but nothing changes.

https://forum.thefreedictionary.com/postst196602_Spelling-Bee-Challenge.aspx

I noticed a user Afruzi managed to get every possible sharing badge, so I wrote him a PM what's the secret, but with no reply.
Topic: word within words 100% club
Posted: Thursday, July 2, 2020 2:24:11 AM
Dr Sanchika Gupta wrote:
How to play this game?

Hello, you can either play WordHub on the main site, or you can switch to older version of the game, which was called Words within words. In both games, when you guess all the words you can possibly put together from letters in a round it counts toward 100% badge. And sometimes you get 100 neurons for it :)
Topic: A rich man is an honest man—no thanks to him; for he would be a double knave to cheat mankind when he had no need of it.
Posted: Wednesday, July 1, 2020 1:56:41 PM
Can someone please reword it to modern English? I try hard, but I don't understand.
Topic: 1000 days...oh my
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 9:52:29 AM
Hello Ashwin, the simple answer is no, there are no gifts. The toaster thing is only a running joke. By the way, congrats to 100 000 neurons, so much neurons in two months' time is really a lot.
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2020 8:07:08 AM
Hello, and thanks L. Rai for sharing. In Slovakia we say when something's not my problem - that's not my cabbage, I don't know why. I cannot think of any English idiom to participate in the contest. And it might be interesting to know the winning idioms too.

Hello, Ashwin Vemuri. Good luck in your quest!
Posted: Monday, May 4, 2020 6:22:27 AM
Congrats, and to 3rd place in the idiom contest too! I joined the site a week earlier and I keep the streak going since some days later in July 2014. It is really not that difficult for me. Can you please share what idioms did you contribute? I thought I found some undiscovered gems - I heard "to talk the hind legs off a donkey" on a youtube channel, and "to send up the river" - in The Addams family show. Of course, after some brief investigation I found out they're in Idioms on this site too, that I only didn't know them.