User Name: Marek Guman
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 150
[0.01% of all post / 0.07 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: 'sharer' badge
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2020 4:13:45 PM
Hello, in my experience these don't work. When I share an article or a Hangman game result, and I make sure some of my facebook friends have read it, I see no progress in the badge status, and for the same reason I cannot complete any of the sharing goals. Maybe the key really is how many friends view the shared link? I don't know, forum users complain about it from time to time, but nothing changes.

https://forum.thefreedictionary.com/postst196602_Spelling-Bee-Challenge.aspx

I noticed a user Afruzi managed to get every possible sharing badge, so I wrote him a PM what's the secret, but with no reply.
Topic: word within words 100% club
Posted: Thursday, July 2, 2020 2:24:11 AM
Dr Sanchika Gupta wrote:
How to play this game?

Hello, you can either play WordHub on the main site, or you can switch to older version of the game, which was called Words within words. In both games, when you guess all the words you can possibly put together from letters in a round it counts toward 100% badge. And sometimes you get 100 neurons for it :)
Topic: A rich man is an honest man—no thanks to him; for he would be a double knave to cheat mankind when he had no need of it.
Posted: Wednesday, July 1, 2020 1:56:41 PM
Can someone please reword it to modern English? I try hard, but I don't understand.
Topic: 1000 days...oh my
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 9:52:29 AM
Hello Ashwin, the simple answer is no, there are no gifts. The toaster thing is only a running joke. By the way, congrats to 100 000 neurons, so much neurons in two months' time is really a lot.
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2020 8:07:08 AM
Hello, and thanks L. Rai for sharing. In Slovakia we say when something's not my problem - that's not my cabbage, I don't know why. I cannot think of any English idiom to participate in the contest. And it might be interesting to know the winning idioms too.

Hello, Ashwin Vemuri. Good luck in your quest!
Posted: Monday, May 4, 2020 6:22:27 AM
Congrats, and to 3rd place in the idiom contest too! I joined the site a week earlier and I keep the streak going since some days later in July 2014. It is really not that difficult for me. Can you please share what idioms did you contribute? I thought I found some undiscovered gems - I heard "to talk the hind legs off a donkey" on a youtube channel, and "to send up the river" - in The Addams family show. Of course, after some brief investigation I found out they're in Idioms on this site too, that I only didn't know them.
Topic: No Credit Towards Goal for Playing Hangman
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2020 2:52:50 PM
yep, that's just too much. I complained about it some weeks ago here on the forum too. I am now at 66% in Hangman, and I give it all the free time in the evenings. And that is while I almost never play until the round time is up, I cut it short when I am sure I win, because I just challenge the weaker players who play a lot, like Z Zerg, Dictionary Fan, Book lover. I am almost sure they are some bots set up by TFD to ensure some competition in the game, because they are always ready to play, day and night.
Topic: No Credit Towards Goal for Playing Hangman
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2020 12:12:03 PM
Wilmar you have to play 17 games for 1% increase in both games. Or maybe 1 week of regular play, or some 2 weeks if you play only from time to time.
Topic: Spelling Bee Challenge
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2020 3:13:48 PM
Mike-KS wrote:
We will investigate

Thanks. Just for the record, I chose "Share Quote of the Day" goal yesterday to see how this one would go. I'm pretty sure my daughter and younger sister clicked on Maugham quote
(or rather, I made sure Whistle). It was very interesting by the way, maybe some other friends clicked on it too. But in the goal status nothing changed, like nobody accepted it. Nevermind
the fact another 8 friends would have to click on the link, life of a person with only 100 friends on Facebook can be pretty rough.

Thanks for your help, and Happy Easter.
Topic: tfd feature ideas(feel free to add your ideas)
Posted: Tuesday, April 7, 2020 4:16:55 PM
Philip Horton wrote:
I have noticed the words in word hub, like the words within words, to have fake words. I just go to any scrabble website to see if it is legit or not.

It's mainly some names of Native American tribes, languages, Greek gods and similar proper names that should be excluded.