Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 168
[0.02% of all post / 0.13 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Gump and Woggle-bug
Posted: Tuesday, February 06, 2018 1:20:23 PM
You're quite welcome. My misspelling of Baum's name was in no way intentional. Unfortunately, I discovered it too late to edit. Oh, well, onwards.

Here's the pertinent passage in Rogers's biography:

Baum's Woggle-Bug owed his existence to lucky chance. As Baum related in an interview in the Philadelphia North American (October 3, 1904), a little girl playing in the sand on Coronado Beach picked up a sand crab and asked him what it was. "A Wogglebug"—"the first term that popped into my head." The child was delighted with the word, and so was Maud [his wife]when Baum mentioned it to her that evening; she "told me I should put the Wogglebug in The Marvelous Land of Oz. The book was one third written and Jack Pumpkinhead was the hero, but I brought in the Wogglebug right away. After that H. M. Wogglebug, T.E., was the hero and has become my most popular character."

—Katharine M. Rogers, L Frank Baum, Creator of Oz (New York: St. Marton's Press, 2002), p. 122

H.M.: Highly Magnified
T.E.: Thoroughly Educated

Baum was inventive when it came to naming places and characters. As Lewis Carroll did, he delighted in coining humorous names. He was also addicted to puns.

As I understand it, the story about his hitting upon the name for Oz through the medium of the labels on his filing cabinets (A-N and O-Z) is strictly apocryphal. I think it originated with one of his sons.

Topic: Gump and Woggle-bug
Posted: Tuesday, February 06, 2018 9:45:03 AM
"Woggle-bug" was Bum's humorous name for a sand crab. I learned this from Katharine Rogers' biography of L. Frank Baum.
Topic: Chapters number 1 and 2 of the book are boring.
Posted: Wednesday, January 31, 2018 6:50:21 PM
The first two chapters of the book are boring.
Topic: 1812 War in North America.
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2018 6:04:54 PM
As I understand it, the prime culprit wasn't the British or the Americans, but Napoléon, whose ambition to invade Britain led to the beefing up of its navy, the impressing (forcible recruitment) of civilians, and the British navy's ultimate impressing of American sailors (as towan52 notes).

Forgive and forget? We can forgive, but forget? Tall order there. Look what the Brits did to the White House!

On the other hand, during World War I, the Americans tactfully omitted the third stanza of "The Star-Spangled Banner" when they were alongside British soldiers, since it describes the British invaders in pejorative terms (e.g., "their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution").
Topic: Look back in anger
Posted: Monday, January 15, 2018 12:07:51 PM
Osborne's Jimmy Porter was a new kind of hero. Many popular British plays focused on topics such as aristocracy. Porter is a working-class man who has gained access to higher education, a rarity in those days among people of his social class. In that sense, he is the harbinger of other heroes and antiheroes with no aristocratic pretensions. He is discontented with his poverty, his struggles, his ambitions, his personal relationships, everything. Look Back in Anger was a ground-breaking play about the postwar British social order. Whether it would be considered dated today, as most of Isbsen's plys are, is a qiestion I can't answer. But in postwar Britain, it created quite a splash.
Topic: The silence of Chuck
Posted: Thursday, December 21, 2017 6:26:10 PM
Good point, Romany.

Nikitus could rephrase it as

"Considering the distance between the hospital and the city,"
"Considering how far the hospital was from the city,"
"Considering the remote location of the hospital," or
"Considering how far one would have to commute from the hospital to the city,"

or suchlike.
Topic: UN votes to reject US recognition of Jerusalem as capital.
Posted: Thursday, December 21, 2017 3:09:08 PM
I call it "the latest act in the ongoing farce, "The UN versus Israel."
Topic: "it’s a hard rain’s a-gonna fall"
Posted: Thursday, December 21, 2017 12:48:12 PM
I initially interpreted the "hard rain" as nuclear fallout, but I later encountered another interpretation that the "hard rain" refers to truth . . . as TL Hobs notes.
Topic: The meaning of 'Scramble an egg', or 'Scrambled egg'
Posted: Thursday, December 21, 2017 9:54:02 AM
Quote:
But, I think "scramble" isn't used as an adjective to be used as described.
Or, you mean "scramble" as a noun as in:
There is a scramble in the office.
There is a scramble in the laundry.

"Scrambled" (aside from eggs) also means something jumbled and mixed-up:

socks, items of underwear, towels, and washcloths scrambled together
an absolute scramble of office papers, books, magazines, and memos
a scramble of billboards and signs along the highway
a rapid montage of scrambled images and videoclips

But "scramble" is also used to denote deliberate interference with radio transmissions, telegraphy, etc.

They tried to scramble the "Voice of America" broadcasts.

Many words in English have multiple meanings and uses. These range from straightforward to highly idiomatic.

Topic: The meaning of 'Scramble an egg', or 'Scrambled egg'
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2017 9:26:30 PM
Most cookbooks I've seen use the expression "beat an egg," i.e., "beat well, then pour into hot pan, and continue mixing." "Scramble" can be used for describing an office in a chaotic state, a pile of laundry, etc. "Scrambled eggs" are what you'd see listed on a menu.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.