The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Profile: Parpar1836
About
User Name: Parpar1836
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests: Collecting cobalt glass, jewelry-making, funky and antique things, books
Home Page http://www.deaflife.com
Statistics
Number of Posts: 370
[0.04% of all post / 0.21 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: In the classroom in front of the art class
Posted: Wednesday, April 3, 2019 10:55:13 PM
Trish thoroughly enjoyed her job as art professor. And she had a way of asserting her individuality. While the other women on the teaching staff wore sober dresses, often dark and unadorned, Trish wore jeans and colorful tops, often embroidered or embellished with beads. Today, over her plain white shirt, she wore a red vest that shimmered with gold threads and had exotic-looking buttons.

She was writing several columns of outlined notes and terms on the whiteboard. For the second time in the week she had arrived late, and was anxious to avoid being challenged again by the Principal. The students, sensing her anxiety, studiously copied down the notes in their notebooks.
Topic: Do native speakers use 'shifted' to mean 'moved'?
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2019 5:44:43 PM
I'm unfamiliar with the "shifted house" expression (I guess it's regional), but am familiar with these:

I've changed my address.

I have a new address.

I recently moved to a new place.

I've relocated.
Topic: Wish I can
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2019 6:39:35 PM
No. But there are several ways to express this:

"Gee, I'd love to ride that!"
"I wish I could ride that . . . maybe I can!"
"I want to try riding that."
"I'd take a ride on that if only I had the money."
"I think I'll try riding that . . . I'm daring enough!"
Topic: I am bespectacled, wearing spectacles, wearing glasses
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2019 6:37:54 PM
"Bespectacled" turns up in mostly a literary context. It can have a slightly pejorative connotation, e.g., "The professor whom we thought would be a fiery-eyed, wild-haired demagogue was an ordinary-looking, bespectacled, balding chap in a nondescript jacket and tie."
Topic: The most meaningful and meaningful English vocabulary
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 3:54:46 PM
Melisma: a musical phrase

Emerald: a precious stone, often green

Responsibility: "the ability to respond"

Lilac: the flowering shrub that made Rochester, NY famous

Periwinkle: a "lilac-blue" color (I'm biased; this is one of my faves)

Taffeta: an old-fashioned silky textile, renowned for its rustle

Filigree: a delicate tracery of stone, textile, or metal wirework
Topic: my memory of .... or a memory of ...
Posted: Thursday, March 7, 2019 2:19:03 PM
Pjharvey's suggestions and counsel are, as usual, excellent.

An alternative suggestion . . .

The song evoked the memory of my dad, who died ten years ago.

The song reminded me of my dad, who died ten years ago.

I have a particular dislike of the euphemism "passed away."
Topic: Rising from his seat with a smile on his face
Posted: Thursday, March 7, 2019 11:34:18 AM
The thin young man had long suffered from shyness, which made him taciturn. For many years, he had experienced the feeling of being excluded from the rest of his companions. Rising from his seat with a smile, he took his place at the front of the room. Being the first student chosen by his teacher was an honor. It was flattering to be recognized this way. And he knew that she appreciated the months of effort he had put into his studies and practice.
Topic: A never seen
Posted: Wednesday, March 6, 2019 1:52:22 PM
It isn't just the Chinese. Years ago, we in the U.S.A. learned about the plight of Vietnamese children fathered by GIs. The GIs returned home when their deployments ended, leaving these mixed-race children behind. And I understand that they were subjected to pretty harsh treatment (bullying, taunting, harassment) in school and looked on with disfavor by society, especially those who were half-Black. There was a movement to bring them to the U.S. to be adopted, or find sponsors to assist them in getting good education and jobs in Vietnam.

Bottom line: every culture has prejudice. Luke Adams, Deaf competitor on The Amazing Race, recounted one leg of his race in China, where he had to transport a Travelocity gnome figure to a particular point, in his bicycle basket, cycling through a public park, and a Chinese man who didn't like his looks or whatever deliberately upset Luke's bicycle, spilling him and the gnome onto the pavement. (This was not shown on the broadcast footage.) Luckily, Luke was given a replacement gnome, and made it safely and mostly intact to the dropoff point. In all fairness, most of the people he encountered in China were far more civil.
Topic: Grammar
Posted: Tuesday, March 5, 2019 11:23:31 AM
I'd say:

I have trouble sleeping.
Topic: The teacher went to the desk, where he opened his backpack
Posted: Friday, March 1, 2019 12:05:52 PM
You are most welcome!

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.