The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Profile: Parpar1836
About
User Name: Parpar1836
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests: Collecting cobalt glass, jewelry-making, funky and antique things, books
Home Page http://www.deaflife.com
Statistics
Number of Posts: 379
[0.04% of all post / 0.20 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: The orphaned girl who lived at her step-mother's
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2019 11:45:48 AM
"The khan’s son listened to the story, killed his wife by having destroyed her completely" doesn't make sense to me.
Topic: If we do not have a brain, we will not feel pain.
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2019 2:04:04 PM
If we didn't have a brain, we wouldn't feel pain.
Topic: The orphaned girl who lived at her step-mother's
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2019 12:22:05 PM
Why not simply say "first and second marriages"? The elder daughter is from his first marriage, the younger from his second. In the Western tradition, it's usually the younger (or youngest) who are oppressed.
Topic: Creative writing
Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2019 1:57:26 PM
This is a digression, I know.

I've compiled (for possible use) a by-no-means-comprehensive list of English words that have multiple meanings: bank, list, race, set, principal, well, yield, etc. I currently have 671, and I know that there are many more! Most of these words are fairly common.

Moreover, English is continually evolving. Quite a few words that are found in Shakespearean dialogue have shifted their old meanings: humorous, complexion, medicine, villain, etc., which is why it's a good idea to have an annotated text.
Topic: what is the name of this type of hat?
Posted: Friday, July 5, 2019 12:55:57 PM
A digression: Drago, what catalogue are those Himalayan has from?
Topic: One of my favorite words is lox
Posted: Friday, June 7, 2019 6:24:44 PM
"Sack" is found in the Book of Genesis (the story of Joseph), so it's another ancient word that has retained its meaning and pronunciation.
Topic: I’ve been here since three months.
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2019 8:25:23 PM
I've been here for three months is correct.
I've been here since I started school three months ago, or I've been here since I moved in three months ago is also correct.

"Since three months" is ungrammatical.
"For three months is grammatical.
Topic: have not thought vs. had not thought
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 12:12:04 PM
The first one is grammatically correct, but stilted.

Suggestions:

I haven't thought about it.
I haven't given it any thought.
Topic: Is there one word for the opposite of 'capitalised'?
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2019 11:51:32 AM
Decapitalize and decapitalizing would be acceptable usage.
Topic: In the classroom in front of the art class
Posted: Wednesday, April 3, 2019 10:55:13 PM
Trish thoroughly enjoyed her job as art professor. And she had a way of asserting her individuality. While the other women on the teaching staff wore sober dresses, often dark and unadorned, Trish wore jeans and colorful tops, often embroidered or embellished with beads. Today, over her plain white shirt, she wore a red vest that shimmered with gold threads and had exotic-looking buttons.

She was writing several columns of outlined notes and terms on the whiteboard. For the second time in the week she had arrived late, and was anxious to avoid being challenged again by the Principal. The students, sensing her anxiety, studiously copied down the notes in their notebooks.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.