User Name: Oscar D. Grouch
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 1,293
[0.13% of all post / 0.55 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: US Hospitals Nearing Max Capacity
Posted: Thursday, November 26, 2020 3:52:33 AM
Near Crisis, Some Hospitals Face Tough Decisions In Caring For Floods Of Patients
November 25, 2020 6:43 PM ET

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/11/25/939103515/near-crisis-some-hospitals-face-tough-decisions-in-caring-for-floods-of-patients

Far more people in the U.S. are hospitalized for COVID-19 now than at any other moment of the coronavirus pandemic — more than twice as many as just a month ago.

Hospitals in some of the hardest-hit states are exhausting every health care worker, hospital room and piece of equipment to evade the worst-case scenario, when crisis plans have to be set in motion and care may have to be rationed.

Many states are warning they're on the brink. On the ground, equipment and staff shortages are already straining the system and changing how hospitals provide care. An NPR data analysis supports what health care leaders and researchers have cautioned: This stress may even be contributing to higher death rates.

"We accept a small amount of risk each time that we expand our capacities," says Dr. John Hick, a committee member of the Forum on Medical and Public Health Preparedness for Disasters and Emergencies of the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. "It's not at all unexpected that we're going to have some worse outcomes."

The care crisis is already here

Hospitals have a road map for how to manage during a catastrophe. It's called crisis standards of care, and it guides clinical and ethical decisions on how to triage care when resources are tight.

It's a last resort — a fundamental change from doing everything possible for one patient to maximizing the benefits for many, says Dr. Dan Hanfling, who served on the crisis standards of care committee for NASEM with Hick.

And while most places have not officially activated crisis standards of care, hospitals are already resorting to workarounds to "maximize, to the closest extent possible, the usual standards of care," says Hanfling.

Hospital capacity expands like an "accordion," but at some point, he says, "you overwhelm even those capabilities. And you get to the point where space, staff and stuff are really not being consistent with the level of care that we are used to delivering."

Some experts believe clinicians are already informally making decisions akin to rationing care.

"There's been a lot of language around 'we're right on the edge of entering crisis capacity,' but what I'm worried about is that there's kind of a blurred entry," says Dr. Kate Butler, a nephrologist and acting instructor at the University of Washington School of Medicine.

Butler has studied how health care workers dealt with these clinical dilemmas during the spring COVID-19 surge.

"Everybody gets a little bit of bad care," said one worker she interviewed, referencing shorter dialysis sessions for patients when the machines were in high demand.

In an interview with NPR, Butler said, "there's been far less preparation for this gray zone where resources are limited, and we're seeing impact on patient care — potentially people dying — because they're not getting the care that would otherwise be offered to them."

During the current surge, hospitals are again grappling with tricky decisions around how far you can stretch care.

In Wisconsin, where the state has set up makeshift beds at the Wisconsin State Fair Park to handle mild COVID-19 cases, the Mayo Clinic Health System has moved beds into waiting rooms and even a parking garage.

"Literally every bed in northwest Wisconsin was full, and hospitals just weren't able to admit new patients," said Dr. Paul Horvath as he described a recent shift at the emergency room to Wisconsin Public Radio. "And that means that I had the challenge of managing ICU-level care in my ER for hours, which is obviously not routine."

[continued]
Topic: little donny's environmental terrorism
Posted: Thursday, November 26, 2020 2:48:35 AM
Salmon: 1, Ecoterrorists: 0

Army Corps of Engineers Denies Permit To Controversial Alaska Gold Mine
November 25, 2020 5:19 PM ET

https://www.npr.org/2020/11/25/939010891/army-corps-of-engineers-denies-permit-to-controversial-alaska-gold-mine

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has denied a permit for the massive Pebble Mine project in Alaska – a proposed open-pit copper and gold mine that would be upstream from the world's largest sockeye salmon fishery.

The Corps said in a statement Wednesday that it has determined that the plan "does not comply with Clean Water Act guidelines" and it had concluded that "the proposed project is contrary to the public interest."

Fishermen and tribes have been fighting the mine proposal upstream of Bristol Bay for a decade, fearing it would harm the wild sockeye salmon at the heart of the area's economy and indigenous culture.

[continued]
Topic: Sign Fun #2
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2020 7:52:32 PM
little donny continues to lie to supporters begging for donations.

Listen to the mp3...

https://c.gmx.com/@675593861115943341/cfTxzcp7QyiRVriLudgjUA
Topic: little donny starts lighting oil well fires
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2020 3:35:40 PM
On its way out the door, the Trump Administration is trying to do a big favor for Big Oil, making it a crime for banks to refuse loans to polluters. Take action now to stop it.

Banking regulators at the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) want to ban banks from refusing loans and other financial services to oil companies. Banks are getting wise to the climate crisis and have begun refusing to fund drilling in the Arctic, but the Trump Administration is trying to undermine this climate action.

We need activists like you to stand up to the OCC and demand it take the risk of climate change seriously.

Tell the OCC to stop putting Big Oil profits and investors above our environment!

This move is a last-ditch effort to bully banks into giving polluters a lifeline. Trump’s office has seen Wall Street giants like Goldman Sachs refusing to fund drilling in the Arctic -- and it’s set on forcing banks to make risky loans to Big Oil.

Goldman Sachs is not alone. In the last two years, banks like JPMorgan, Chase, Citi, Wells Fargo, and Morgan Stanley have changed their lending policies to not fund drilling in the Arctic.

But if the Trump Administration has its way, the plan to force banks into financing the Big Oil industry could be finalized just days before Joe Biden is sworn in as President. With a deadline of January 4th, we don’t have a lot of time to act. We need your help, Eric.

It’s not too late. Demand the OCC not force banks to finance polluters!

While oil-backed politicians will claim otherwise, banks do not want to finance drilling. Not only due to the ever-growing climate crisis, but also because drilling is a bad investment.

This proposed rule will strongarm the banks into taking risks that are not good for business, which any savvy financial institution would stay away from.

With all the warning signs of the climate crisis continuing to sound, we need your help to demand the OCC stop trying to force banks into risky investments with Big Oil.

30,000 Signatures still needed. Stop the OCC from intimidating banks and forcing them to finance Big Oil!

Standing with you,
Lukas Ross,
Fossil fuels program manager,
Friends of the Earth

Topic: Antarctica is melting
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2020 5:49:28 AM
Topic: Words within words error
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2020 4:40:27 AM
Given: Following

Missing: Oligo

https://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/oligo
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2020 4:02:42 AM
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2020 1:48:30 AM
Dear Rudy, Perhaps you shouldn't get your hair dye from the Dollar Store. That Chinese shoe polish just isn't a good investment.

Topic: Let the transition begin
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2020 8:01:17 PM
GSA Ascertains Biden's Victory, Democrat To Begin White House Transition Process
November 23, 2020 6:30 PM ET

https://www.npr.org/2020/11/23/937956178/trump-administration-to-begin-biden-transition-protocols

President-elect Joe Biden can finally, formally begin his transition to power, after the General Services Administration on Monday officially ascertained the Democrat's victory over President Trump.

The news came shortly after Trump, who has still yet to concede in the White House race, tweeted that he was recommending the GSA and others in his administration begin "initial protocols" to kickstart the formal transfer of presidential power.

Quote:
...fight, and I believe we will prevail! Nevertheless, in the best interest of our Country, I am recommending that Emily and her team do what needs to be done with regard to initial protocols, and have told my team to do the same.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 23, 2020

Emily Murphy, the Trump appointee who heads the GSA, has faced weeks of criticism from Democrats, national security experts and health officials, who argued that delaying the formal transition was hampering the incoming Biden administration from getting up to speed on the response to the coronavirus pandemic and jeopardizing national security. A handful of GOP lawmakers also called for the Murphy to allow the transition to get underway.

In a "letter of ascertainment" to Biden, Murphy wrote that she was now making available resources for his campaign to begin the transition process.

"As you know, the GSA Administrator does not pick or certify the winner of a presidential election. Instead, the GSA Administrator's role under the Act is extremely narrow: to make resources and services available in connection with a presidential transition," Murphy wrote.

"As stated, because of recent developments involving legal challenges and certifications of election results, I have determined that you may access the post-election resources and services described in Section 3 of the Act upon request. The actual winner of the presidential election will be determined by the electoral process detailed in the Constitution."

Murphy said that she had reached the decision to release the funds and information independently, contradicting the president's tweet that he had directed her to make the decision.

"Please know that I came to my decision independently, based on the law and available facts. I was never directly or indirectly pressured by any Executive Branch official—including those who work at the White House or GSA—with regard to the substance or timing of my decision. To be clear, I did not receive any direction to delay my determination," she wrote.

"Contrary to media reports and insinuations, my decision was not made out of fear or favoritism. Instead, I strongly believe that the statute requires that the GSA Administrator ascertain, not impose, the apparent president-elect."

The Biden-Harris transition team confirmed that Murphy had officially ascertained Biden and Vice-President-elect Kamala Harris as the "apparent winners of the election."

[continued]
Topic: Million maggot march
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2020 4:38:59 AM