User Name: dispossessed
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 104
[0.01% of all post / 0.04 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: regnant
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2020 2:36:55 PM
Does that mean that Queen Elizabeth 2nd of England is 68 years regnant?
Topic: Are native speakers concerned with stresses on words when speaking?
Posted: Thursday, March 8, 2018 2:45:58 AM
Yes, it does matter . . . . it is possible to be understood if the stresses are used incorrectly, but more shades of meaning can be found if the stresses are used correctly, and it sounds more 'natural' to the native speaker if the usual stresses are used.
Topic: Is "flour" pronounced differently from "flower"?
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2016 3:29:10 AM
They are pronounced the same in England.
Topic: intimate
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2014 3:06:11 AM
In British English this verb is pronounced differently than the adjective with the same spelling.

(in·ti·mate 1 (nt-mt)
adj.
1. Marked by close acquaintance, association, or familiarity.
2. Relating to or indicative of one's deepest nature: intimate prayers.
3. Essential; innermost: the intimate structure of matter.
4. Marked by informality and privacy: an intimate nightclub.
5. Very personal; private: an intimate letter.
6. Of or involved in a sexual relationship.)

Unfortunately the spoken version of this on the website does not demonstrate the difference in pronunciation.
Topic: has been teaching
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2014 4:34:28 AM
It does not read as comfortable English.
The way I would prefer to state it would be 'She has been teaching for more years than I have been alive', or more usually 'She has been teaching since before I was born'.
Topic: Seeking help on Glyn Maxwell's poem “Anything But the Case”
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2014 4:24:31 AM
I think you are right that the phrase 'the case' is being used to mean the present situation, the real facts.

He seems to plead (but I am not sure with whom?) that absolutely any other arrangement of reality would be preferable to things as they are.

I am not sure what event has happened to make him so wish to rearrange all time to change it.

Topic: Only as good as
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2014 3:37:42 AM
'as good as' usually means thas something is being compared to something else in a direct way. It can also mean 'as much as' or 'completely'

'only as good as' is often a way of saying that a person will be judged on what they have done in the past, not what they might be able to do in the future.
Topic: huffy
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2014 4:10:44 AM
A person can also be 'in a huff' or 'go off in a huff' . . . .or even 'storm off in a huff' if things get really bad :)
Topic: Distinct vs distinctive
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2014 3:19:47 AM
The orange sail of the boat was quite distinct against the grey sea.
((Adjective) Clearly visible and separate from surroundings)

Her silver hair was quite distinctive.
(Adjective)Having a special quality allowing her to be easily distinguishable from others)
Topic: Please, could you correct the letter?
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2014 3:10:32 AM
Well, I’m the right person because I have studied four years a career of Marketing and Sales, two more years for a high grade of Marketing and business and another year for a Master degree in Economics. I also have worked for assistance sales during three years in XXX company and four years more in sales department of XXX firm.

All that knowledge will be advantageous for your company, and although my energetic, hard-working, tireless personality will complement perfectly with this company. I’m sure that your sales department with my labour will increase your sales and your profits.

Try this . . . .I have changed a few things to make it more usual English usage. What you wrote is not wrong, but it is slightly unusual . . .

I am the right person for the job because I studied Marketing and Sales for four years at (give name of place of education). I studied Marketing and business at (name of place of education) and a further year for a Masters degree in Economics.

I have also worked for assistance sales for three years in XXX company and four years more in sales department of XXX firm.

I would put my knowledge and experience to good use for your company. I am energetic and hard working, and will be able to maximise both sales and profits.