Statistics
Number of Posts: 13
[0.00% of all post / 0.01 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Elephant Poaching Slightly Down in Africa, Still Dangerously High
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 5:29:19 AM
Daemon wrote:
Elephant Poaching Slightly Down in Africa, Still Dangerously High

Poachers killed more than 20,000 African elephants in 2013, far in excess of the elephants' birth rate, meaning that their future remains under threat. Still, this number is slightly lower than it's been in recent years, and there are signs that efforts to stem the illegal ivory trade are having some effect. Chinese demand for illegal ivory seems to have dropped slightly, while demand for legal mammoth ivory has risen, suggesting that there is a growing awareness of the true cost of the elephant ivory trade and a willingness to find other alternatives. More...

To ponder what must be involved in actually being an elephant poacher is something that bears thinking. The financial rewards of the poacher that goes after big game must be very lucrative. The whole aspect of elephant poaching is somewhat hard to imagine.

Does anyone have dollar amounts from a single elephant that has been poached?

Thanks in advance for any answers.
Topic: Men marry because they are tired; women because they are curious. Both are disappointed.
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2014 4:46:29 AM
Daemon wrote:
Men marry because they are tired; women because they are curious. Both are disappointed.

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

A somewhat dismal and dreary outlook on life I would say? Perchance love enters into the picture of marriage at some point? And what about faithfulness, like, admiration and a strong desire to be with a good friend for life? Would that too not be worthy of the word marriage?

It would seem that someone of noteworthy status in life should be more in tune with reality. Obviously Mr. Wilde was not!
Topic: languor
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2014 4:37:49 AM
The meaning fits perfectly as the word rolls from the mouth. To languor in luxury should be the goal of man!
Topic: The Forbidden City
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2014 7:17:41 AM
Daemon wrote:
The Forbidden City

At the heart of the ancient city of Beijing lies the Forbidden City, the vast palace complex that was occupied by Chinese emperors from 1421 to 1911, during the mid-Ming and Qing dynasties. Once closed to outsiders—hence its name—the Forbidden City now serves as a museum and is one of the world's most popular tourist attractions. In 1987, it was designated a UNESCO World Heritage site. The opulent complex consists of nearly 1,000 buildings with some 9,000 rooms. How long did it take to build? More...

While reading this great article I was in awe of the immensity of The Forbidden City. I was brought back in time thinking about what it must have been like to watch the construction, and how over a million workers toiled endlessly to create this wonder of the world.

The thought of the wealth found within The Forbidden City boggled my mind as well.

Thanks for the enlightenment this morning!
Topic: Argyle Diamond Mine
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2014 12:03:06 PM
thar wrote:
The really cool bit is thinking about how they got there!

Quote:
The Kimberley diamond region consists of a central core of a thick series of nearly flat-lying sedimentary and volcanic rocks that were deposited between 1.6 and 1.9 billion years ago. These rocks form the Kimberley Plateau. They are underlain by a basement of crystalline igneous and metamorphic rocks, which are not exposed on the surface of the plateau. Recent investigations have indicated that the basement is of Archaean age, that is, more than 2.5 billion years old.

ancient basement

a bit of sediment on top

a bit of volcanism

first you open pit

then you tunnel

Well, I think it is cool, anyway Applause Whistle

Simply amazing pictures! Thanks very much for this, and yes, it is amazing to consider how they got there!
Topic: Argyle Diamond Mine
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2014 10:46:29 AM
Daemon wrote:
Argyle Diamond Mine

The Argyle mine in Western Australia is one of the world's largest diamond producers by volume, producing more than 750 million carats of rough diamonds since operations began in the 1980s. Most of the diamonds mined there are of relatively low quality. However, it is the primary source of the rare and valuable pink diamond, producing more than 90% of the world's supply, and is also a major source of champagne, cognac, and blue diamonds. What percentage of Argyle's diamonds are gem quality? More...

A quite fascinating article. Thank you for sharing; however, one question came to my mind while reading. I was wondering if anyone here knows how they secure the area from would be diamond thieves and other undesirable characters? They must surely have to have some of the tightest security measures of anyone in the world. I would think that would be the case, but if someone might share some additional information there, I would be most appreciative.
Topic: Ikebana
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2014 6:46:39 AM
Daemon wrote:
Ikebana

Ikebana is the ancient Japanese art of flower arrangement. In contrast to the decorative form of flower arranging popular in Western countries, which tends to emphasize the quantity and colors of blooms, ikebana utilizes simple linear construction to create harmony in the arrangement and bring attention to the subtle beauty of flowers, stems, leaves, and the like. Often, the components are arranged in a triangular fashion. What concepts do the points of the triangle symbolize? More...

Thank you very much for this article. I was, and am, quite intrigued with the subject. I found it to be very interesting and containing much information on a subject that I will be delving into at a much greater depth.
Topic: Welcome to TheFreeDictionary Language Forums!
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2014 4:45:45 PM
Thanks very much for this handy guide to the Forum. I look forward to interacting and taking part here.

As a special thanks, I created this post @ Archive.org

https://archive.org/details/worthy_internet_pursuits

Thanks again for all your great work here!
Topic: Vince Lombardi (1913)
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2014 5:10:22 AM
Daemon wrote:
Vince Lombardi (1913)

Lombardi was one of the greatest coaches in the history of American football and the driving force behind the Green Bay Packers, who dominated the National Football League during his tenure. His team won five championships in nine years, including Super Bowls I and II. The Lombardi Trophy, awarded to the winner of the Super Bowl each year, is a tribute to his successful tactics and passion for the game. Prior to pursuing a career in football, Lombardi studied to become what? More...

Wonderful football hero and legend that touted "back to the basics!" Great advice for anyone!
Topic: Aristotle Onassis
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 5:53:04 AM
Daemon wrote:
Aristotle Onassis

Onassis was a Turkish-born Greek financier and shipping magnate who pioneered the use of oil supertankers. He purchased his first ships in the early 1930s, and, over the next couple of decades, his fleet grew to be larger than the navies of many countries. He also founded Olympic Airways, the Greek national carrier. Onassis's first marriage, to Athina Livanos, daughter of shipping magnate Stavros Livanos, was ended by his famous affair with opera diva Maria Callas. Whom did he marry in 1968? More...

I found this article fascinating and mind bending at the same time. The total combined wealth of the Onassis estate must have been a staggering amount. The behind the scenes dealing here must rival anything ever seen before in terms of legal wheeling and dealing.

Amazing and very insightful article. Thanks very much for this!