Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 4,420
[0.52% of all post / 3.57 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Las Vegas
Posted: Tuesday, October 17, 2017 10:27:17 AM
TheParser wrote:
You should consider it a badge of honor that certain individuals are criticizing you.
[...]
the usual diet of rants that repeat the same old same old, and the posts loaded with links carefully selected to prove a certain point.
[...]
the clique that think they are the sole guardians of the "truth."

I thought I would stick around this poisoned forum so that the string of half-truths, lies, smears and innuendo poured out by this malevolent old hypocrite could not go unchallenged by the truth, but I have to admit that he has finally defeated me. This is one of his less less obnoxious posts, but his readiness to continually dip into his apparently bottomless pit of slime have become too tedious for me to deal with.

As usual when I leave, I shall probably return one day, but it won't be for some time.
Topic: Olympic Medalists Create Furor with Black Power Salute (1968)
Posted: Tuesday, October 17, 2017 6:48:49 AM
TheParser wrote:
I know of another group of people who were treated badly when they came here, but they responded by their children studying hard, their children getting good jobs, and their children behaving themselves in public. Little by little, this group won the respect of most Americans and were gradually granted equal rights.

Many black Americans studied hard, got good jobs and behaved themselves in public, as did their parents and grandparents - and still do not have equal rights. (They may have equal rights in law, but we have daily reminders that many don't in practice.)
Topic: Olympic Medalists Create Furor with Black Power Salute (1968)
Posted: Tuesday, October 17, 2017 6:42:14 AM
ChristopheJohnson wrote:
Now they kneel when the US National Anthem is played. If these Black guys feel like oppressed stepchildren in America, so why not consider moving to their native Africa?

Native Africa?

Many black Americans are descended from people who arrived in America before the European ancestors of many white Americans. Perhaps you'd like white Americans who do things you consider unpatriotic to 'o back to their 'native Europe'?
Topic: My EXPRESSION of the day
Posted: Tuesday, October 17, 2017 6:17:28 AM
TheParser wrote:
George, who everyone knows is horrible at math.

This speaker of BrE would use hopeless or terrible there. Horrible, which must be OK in AmE sounds unnatural to me. By the way, we Brits also call the subject maths.
Topic: used to vs the past simple
Posted: Tuesday, October 17, 2017 4:45:53 AM
Helenej wrote:
I wish it were as simple as it is written in lots of grammar books: "We use used to when we refer to things in the past which are no longer true".

It is that simple, in my opinion. I very rarely disagree with Drag0's responses, but I do not find "I used to run two miles every day and have managed to keep that up even though I'm now sixty-seven" natural. It would be natural for me only if the activity had stopped for a time: "I used to run two miles every day. I stopped when I was pregnant and didn't start again, even when the children went to school. Then my elder daughter took up jogging, and I joined her. She soon gave up, but I enjoyed it, and now I am running two miles every day again even though I am sixty-seven"
Topic: high prices; low prices dear prices; cheap prices
Posted: Tuesday, October 17, 2017 4:35:37 AM
I, a native speaker of BrE, never speak of 'dear prices'. I am not alone: Ngram.
Topic: How likely would you be to recommend [.... would .. subject ... be ....]
Posted: Tuesday, October 17, 2017 4:32:06 AM
I think one reason for the lack of responses is that members may get lost working their way through the post, A cooperator. I did. Try asking one question at a time. Wait until you are satisfied with the responses and then post another.
Topic: hypochondriac
Posted: Tuesday, October 17, 2017 4:22:51 AM
onsen wrote:
Do 'always ill' and 'lively' go together?

No, but a person who is ill can have a lively imagination.

Quote:
I think 'unlively'(i.e. unlively imagination) is proper in this case instead of 'lively'.

We rarely/never use the word 'unlively' It is noted in only three modern dictionaries here: https://www.onelook.com/?ls=b&fc=all_gen&q=unlively
Topic: Arrival & Departure
Posted: Tuesday, October 17, 2017 4:15:31 AM
thar wrote:
The numerous grammar mistakes just prove that you should read internet articles for the information they contain, and not as a model of correct grammar.

You wouldn't expect perfect grammar from all stuff written on walls.

In some ways, the internet is just a bigger wall to write on!

I agree.This, however, though it contains some grammatical and stylistic errors, is a serious paper:

http://www.paridaka-info.com/2008/DAK/presentation/docs/histo_1979_2007_us.pdf
Topic: linen cloths
Posted: Tuesday, October 17, 2017 4:04:46 AM
I had never heard of the use of linen as armour (BrE spelling) until I read that article. I did not really believe it until I found this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linothorax

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.