Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 912
[0.09% of all post / 0.38 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: wrong pronunciation instead correct one
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2018 10:09:21 AM
mcurrent wrote:
Priscilla86. It is not about specific situation. It's mostly about kid-ish and adult speech.
In school we have rule of finding correct writing: if you don't know which vowel to write - simple change word so that the vowel to be stressed.

Oh, well, I guess then it's different.
Topic: Which part of the day is dinner eaten?
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2018 6:27:01 AM
I think maybe Koh Elaine is asking because, in countries where daylight hours are regular throughout the year (for example in Southeast Asia where I'm from), dinner usually starts at 7 - 7.30pm, when it's considerably dark(er) outside.

When I was younger, in some western movies they'd have dinner at 7 but it was still light outside. As I'd never been to the northern hemisphere and didn't understand the concept of seasons, this used to perplex me.

In Southeast Asia, it's quite convenient to peg dinnertime to the lighting condition outside as daylight is very regular so I guess my question to NKM and leonAzul is, in summer months when daylight is longer, do you still wait for sunset to have dinner? I suppose no, otherwise people in Iceland would never have dinner during midnight sun, right?
Topic: wrong pronunciation instead correct one
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2018 6:03:25 AM
mcurrent wrote:
Hi.
In Russian speech we have peculiar thing: some words in speech may chanage unstressed vowel so that meaning of these words is not changing. For example we (in Russia) can say "собака" (a dog, correct writing) and we can say "сабака" (a dog, uncorrect writing). Funny thing is that in Russia we can say either word and can understand it is a dog. It is so obvious for us that in school we have to learn correct writing of this words and study rule to find correct writing also.
We have great number of such a strange words:
"котёнок" (correct writing and correct pronunciation) - "катёнок" (uncorrect writing and correct pronunciation)
"молоко" - "молако"
"висеть" - "весеть"
and etc.
As I can see this happened with pairs of vowels such as а-о and е-и.

I have a question: do you have words in English speech that have different pronunciation (in one vowel) but have the same meaning?

Hello, mcurrent.

I am not a native English speaker but I think I know the phenomenon you're referring to. I think it exists in my language, too, and I must say I don't think there's an equivalent to it in English. In my opinion, the examples given by others are variations due to accent or dialect, and not variations adopted country-wide.

I have a question, between собака and сабака is there a specific situation in which one version is more commonly used over the other?

In Indonesian language, the official word for 'crowded' is 'ramai' but in casual conversation it is spelled 'r-a-m-e' and pronounced accordingly. If you were to use its official version you'd sound very formal and high brow, like a newscaster or the president. It is not taught in school but understood by everyone and we switch back and forth between the two versions easily. Does the same thing happen with собака and сабака?
Topic: Human Rights Commisioner:"What we are destroying is quite simply the structures that ensure our safe
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2018 8:22:04 AM
progpen wrote:

leadership that is both thuggish and infantile, petulant, cultivating grievances to reap votes and sowing humiliation, oppression, and hatred, and disregard for the greater common good.

It's almost uncanny how accurate this describes the current US administration. If I hadn't read the article I wouldn't have guessed he was talking about something in general.
Topic: Trump is Taking Children from Parents Who Are Asylum Seekers
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2018 8:09:22 AM
progpen wrote:

According to the NRA and Republicans there is chaos in the streets. Anecdotes = chaos.

Rather a self-fulfilling prophecy, don't you think?
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2018 7:06:36 AM
mactoria wrote:
which explains some of the supposed 11,000,000 undocumented persons in the US).

Wow, I never knew the exact number of undocumented people in the US before. 11 million seems like a BIG number. The entire population of Singapore is only 5.6 million. Where are these 11 million people? They can't all be gang members and rapists, otherwise there will be chaos in the streets.

Knowing the figure now, it seems like the big showdown happening at the borders and entry points to the US is just smoke and mirrors, like a big distraction or an empty gesture. I can't help but thinking something sinister is going on here, like we are being played or something, because how effective would those tactics be at actually curbing all these woes that are supposedly brought in by these people? Surely you can think of something much more intelligent than resorting to crudely breaking families apart? The US is one of the most developed nations in the world, for God's sake.

You don't want them to be criminals yet you traumatize them upon entry. Is that supposed to show them who's the boss? Oppress them into compliance? Because oppressed people are surely not dangerous.

Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2018 1:14:37 AM
Hope123 wrote:
Priscilla! Where have you been? So glad to see here again.

Hi there, Hope!

So glad to be back and find that all the discussions are just as eloquent and insightful as they used to be. I've gone into hiding for a while now, just laying low and taking stock as so many things happening in terms of career, health, and personal growth.

Hope123 wrote:
Is that a new address or did I miss Lavender before?

I think I updated it shortly before I went into hiding so you probably missed it Dancing
Topic: On Political Correctness
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2018 1:05:43 AM
Hi FounDit,

Just my two cents here. I think political correctness falls afoul when it is brought to the extreme (as with everything) but maybe the extreme period is a natural progression in the course of growth. There's a complacency and when we are awakened from that, we first try to course-correct, a little bit extremely perhaps at the beginning before it gains momentum and strikes a balance.

For example, another highly-charged word which I believe transcends political, sexual, or religious beliefs is 'fat'. The word itself is a very simple, neutral, innocent word to describe someone's physical appearance, yet I would never use it on anybody, at least for now. It's a very useful word for someone with limited entries in their vocabulary to describe someone who visually has abundance of excess flesh. Yet it feels wrong and insensitive to describe someone as 'fat', even when they are in fact, fat. We'd rather use the term overweight, bigger, curvy, etc. We are still in the process of reclaiming the word back. It started with the many body positive movements and then it got slightly uncomfortable when some outspoken celebrities (albeit well-meaning) took it to the extreme (I remember Jennifer Lawrence proposing that it should be illegal to call someone fat on TV). I disagree as outlawing it is not the issue here but maybe it had to be said to shock people's belief system into rebooting the meaning of the word so that progress can move along.

So I guess my view is that political correctness is just a tool for growth in society, we just have to know how to use it.
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2018 12:23:21 AM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
Today, sometime about lunch time, the pres. said that he will do something unilaterally (exec order, I imagine) so that children can stay with parents - then get the law sorted out later.

He did sign an executive order. And swiftly his daughter congratulated him on Twitter. I think today I'm going to spit on someone and quickly wipe it off. There, I wiped it off, I'm a saint. Oi! d'oh!
Topic: Why "Mankind" Isn't the Real Problem
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2018 12:04:58 AM
Squawk Box wrote:
And all of the vitriol that has been directed his way, only solidifies my stance.

I don't know you so I'm not going to speculate on why you voted for him but I'd like to unpack the statement above. This gives off the impression that your main motivation for voting for him again is just to spite people who have directed 'vitriol' his way (which can feel like they directed it your way). While no doubt both sides have some unscrupulous people irresponsibly hurling insults, is it really vitriol to challenge (or call out) some of his heinous policies? To reiterate progpen, we are not trying to convert anyone here and trust that if you recognize some of his policies as appalling we are not going to rub it in your face while dancing around singing 'I told you so'. It's not about that.

You have your reasons for voting for him and we (on the other side of the aisle) are trying to understand that and hopefully you will also listen to what we have to say because things are manifesting in some of the worst ways possible right now when it shouldn't be.