mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
What is the effect of movies on youth.(is it good or bad) Options
kamalraj
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 1:20:58 AM

Neurons: 6,081
Describe what is the effect of movies on youth....

Providing clear comments ...If it is good or bad..If it is good means explain what are the benefits and functions..Bad means provide what are the effects
biba
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 1:34:33 AM

Neurons: 5,205
Angel Well I think it depends on what kind of movies. I like watching inspirational movies and fantasy one.^^
kamalraj
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 1:53:29 AM

Consider all kind of movies....What are the useful messages you get to watching movies...What you feel about bad to watching movies...If movies provide any good ideas/receipes to audience...those are all things
kisholoy mukherjee
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 2:29:14 AM

Neurons: 7,777
If it is a Shah Rukh Khan movie, then 99% of the times the message I get is this : "Never watch a SRK movie again".
redsxz
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 3:38:15 AM

Neurons: 5,425
kisholoy mukherjee wrote:
If it is a Shah Rukh Khan movie, then 99% of the times the message I get is this : "Never watch a SRK movie again".

Being Paki, SRK is quite popular in Aussie Paki community. Its the image really of a good looking and highly respected man.
kisholoy mukherjee
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 3:39:16 AM

Well, to me he is The most overrated actor in my lifetime. And of course, his movies suc* (with the rare exceptions).
SnehaJain
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 5:59:25 AM

Neurons: 246
kisholoy mukherjee wrote:

But you still end up watching his movie 'again'? Think

Rarely I feel like taking the 'message' from any movie. Sometimes I ponder over it for one night and it stops with that. For me movies are entertainment and popcorn!
kamalraj
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 6:12:52 AM

If example all are watching the movie LAGOON..In that movie moves to oscar awards but not get it...What qualification its have to move on oscar...The director what message describe to the audience via this movie..
abcxyz
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 6:25:30 AM

Neurons: 3,200
Effect of a bad movie is easy - nothing and sometimes boredom. Other effects are seen on those who don't consider it to be a bad movie. But again, this is all relative, no?
kisholoy mukherjee
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 7:11:23 AM

Yes, it is all subjective.
srirr
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 7:14:47 AM

Neurons: 484,288
abcxyz wrote:
Effect of a bad movie is easy - nothing and sometimes boredom. Other effects are seen on those who don't consider it to be a bad movie. But again, this is all relative, no?

I contradict. I think effect of a bad movie is even more. But it depends on what you define as bad.

kisholoy mukherjee
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 7:19:17 AM

It also depends on whether the individual cares too much about movies or not. I am a total movie buff. So movies can make a big impression on me, whether good or bad.
But I agree with abc on the point that some bad movies (for eg. I hate luv Stories which I saw recently) are so bad that you forget almost everything about them in a matter of a few days even. By bad, I obviously meant bad to me.
There can be no strict definition of bad that can be passed as universal/absolute. Bad and good are relative. What is bad to me, can be good to others.
Like it or not, any art form is like that only. It all depends on the perception of the audience.
kisholoy mukherjee
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 7:46:57 AM

SnehaJain wrote:

But you still end up watching his movie 'again'? Think

Lol. It just so happens that I watch SRK movies only on those occasions when I just need to go to a cinema hall and watch a movie. I rarely watch his movies with any hope of them being good.
In fact, I regard him so high that he has let me down on almost every occasion!! Lol.
Rabeeta Warsi
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 2:25:55 PM

Neurons: 27
Being a teen my self, I truely agree that movies do have a great impact on youth, when it cOmes to 'Good or bad?' well thats tOtally depends on 'kind of the movie'.

Sharing a persOnal experience: when I saw D.O.A (dead or Alive) nd thats a fight based stOry,I ended up wrestling my sister :p, at da same day I saw LOving Leah (story of a calm natUred girl) my temper actUally went cool nd that day I first realized hOw much a movie can effect a person inspite of the fact thats pathetic and un-healthy..

End note: People should carefully select 'Which movie to watch?', movies with a sOcial-message shOuld always be choosen plus movie-makers should be wise enough to choose a subject of a movie.
Adriaticus
Posted: Friday, August 6, 2010 9:41:26 AM

Neurons: 726
Movies today have a lot of influence on youngsters. To me it's not a good thing. I learnt history from the history books, now they think Achilles was a character of Brad Pitt ...
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Friday, August 6, 2010 9:49:36 AM

Neurons: 599,149
Rabeeta Warsi wrote:
Being a teen my self, I truely agree that movies do have a great impact on youth, when it cOmes to 'Good or bad?' well thats tOtally depends on 'kind of the movie'.

Sharing a persOnal experience: when I saw D.O.A (dead or Alive) nd thats a fight based stOry,I ended up wrestling my sister :p, at da same day I saw LOving Leah (story of a calm natUred girl) my temper actUally went cool nd that day I first realized hOw much a movie can effect a person inspite of the fact thats pathetic and un-healthy..

End note: People should carefully select 'Which movie to watch?', movies with a sOcial-message shOuld always be choosen plus movie-makers should be wise enough to choose a subject of a movie.

They sell funny computer keyboards in Pakistan ;-)
uuaschbaer
Posted: Friday, August 6, 2010 10:18:16 AM

Neurons: 6,180
Can't imagine what kind of impact movies could have on young people, they're just stories.
rluna
Posted: Friday, August 6, 2010 10:30:55 AM

Neurons: 570
I'll watch anything once. :) I enjoy the catharsis of film and the art form.
Wanderer
Posted: Friday, August 6, 2010 10:47:32 AM

Neurons: 78,988
My grandchildren watch movies that I would never have allowed their mother but I have noted they have a lot of nightmares. More than my children did or maybe I just don't remember. That's what I'm told anyway, but the things we see stay with us a lifetime. I remember seeing TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD when I was 10 or 11 and it has had a profound effect on me all these years. When the moon is shinning and the wind blowing the shadows of the trees across the sidewalk my heart beats a little faster just waiting for someone to jump out.
jupiter
Posted: Friday, August 6, 2010 12:21:30 PM

Neurons: 170
Movies are by and large fantasy. All movies dwell on one form or the other of idealism which can just not happen in reality.The idealisms can be analysed if one has the time to otherwise it's best to stick to the rules that adheres to him/her. Movies can only give an objective perspective but what people need is subjective stuff.
So,I just watch movies as things that can't really happen but are meant to be enjoyed, so it's mere entertainment sans inspiration.Maybe, it widens one's horizon of knowledge to a certain extent,but the distinction between good and bad is left entirely to the viewer's discretion
HWNN1961
Posted: Friday, August 6, 2010 12:31:24 PM

Neurons: 9,763
I'll turn that question around:

"What is the effect of the taste of our youth on the movies".

Hollywood, Bollywood, and all points in between pay attention to the market. If a movie genre did well this season, expect more of the same next year. Expect sequels whenever possible. Our youth (and anyone else for that matter) get the produt that they demand. Movies are just another marketplace.
memphis jailer
Posted: Saturday, August 7, 2010 5:15:30 PM

Neurons: 1,311
the original question has a variety of variables including what type of movie and how old the individual is .... and hwnn is definitely right that if a certain movie is a success if it has a young following no matter how good it is (i.e. twilight or high school musical) it will have a sequel .... unfortunately ... but it is a good thing for people to go to the box office ... it keeps people employed making the movie and showing the movie .... so long live the avatars and twilights of the movie industry lol
Kat
Posted: Saturday, August 7, 2010 6:09:26 PM

Neurons: 3,389
Why should movies have any (long term) effect on anyone?
They are movies. They are fiction. Teenagers know this..
if they don't...why not?
Who the hell are raising these ignoramuses?
memphis jailer
Posted: Saturday, August 7, 2010 7:39:14 PM

that's one of the problems in today's society .... some parents aren't raising their kids and teaching them about right and wrong fact from fiction and leaving all the teaching to their parents or various forms of media (i.e. movies, t.v., music) and/or their peers
Tovarish
Posted: Saturday, August 7, 2010 9:58:27 PM

Neurons: 39,933
My Mother took me to see Titanic, probably the first one they ever made and it scared the hell out of me, I think I was less than 8.

Also a Horror movie about Atlantis. Also well under 8.

Of course it leaves an impression when you are a little child.
memphis jailer
Posted: Saturday, August 7, 2010 10:38:10 PM

i liked seeing a nightmare on elm street when i was a kid .... but i saw a horror movie called witchboard .... yea that one i had nightmares about .... that and the first creepshow .... iiiii waaaaant myyyyyy caaaaaake!!!! lol
Tovarish
Posted: Saturday, August 7, 2010 11:41:45 PM

Neurons: 39,933
'Jaws' also had a profound effect on people, especially swimmers, ha ha
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Sunday, August 8, 2010 3:19:50 AM

Neurons: 599,149
Tovarish wrote:
'Jaws' also had a profound effect on people, especially swimmers, ha ha

I remember there were some special occasions with "Jaws" back then. They screened it in a swimming centre.
Luftmarque
Posted: Sunday, August 8, 2010 4:49:46 AM

Neurons: 39,962
I was raised by movies and don't regret it. My son is being raised by video games. Too soon to tell if I regret that. But… the level of detail of plot and "production values" in video games is rapidly approaching that of movies, and the interactive nature of the art adds another dimension.
peterhewett
Posted: Sunday, August 8, 2010 5:29:12 AM

Neurons: 3,698
In most cases I think the effect, good or bad, is not quantifiable. I am sure the rule of cause and effect applies in greater or lesser degree, according to the state of mind of the individual. Some things, or changes in perception or view, are cumulative and not easily discerned. For my part, with regard to the good effect, I am up built by a touching story where good overcomes adversity or drawback. It makes me rejoice in the durability of the good side of man. I like good feel films, but not just those. Pathos ... sadness... touches me deeply. I am sure there are effects however small... some perhaps not lasting others tending to set one in a direction or confirm a view... harden a view. Death makes me reflective.
redsxz
Posted: Sunday, August 8, 2010 5:48:19 AM

Neurons: 5,425
peterhewett wrote:
In most cases I think the effect, good or bad, is not quantifiable. I am sure the rule of cause and effect applies in greater or lesser degree, according to the state of mind of the individual. Some things, or changes in perception or view, are cumulative and not easily discerned. For my part, with regard to the good effect, I am up built by a touching story where good overcomes adversity or drawback. It makes me rejoice in the durability of the good side of man. I like good feel films, but not just those. Pathos ... sadness... touches me deeply. I am sure there are effects however small. Some perhaps not lasting others tending to set one in a direction or confirm a view... harden a view. Death makes me reflective.

True this, and I think the media can deliver vast amounts of information to a impressionable mind.
alfabnu
Posted: Sunday, August 8, 2010 8:26:20 AM

Neurons: 24
I liked to watch action movies in my youth, after i watched it i had a dream about becoming a strong man in the movies, but i did't realize my dream.
princyroger
Posted: Saturday, August 14, 2010 2:13:02 AM

Neurons: 5
Television is one of the best ways to get information in our system whether good or bad. We can not learn as much as for reading but on TV they say watching television is one of the best ways to take things that are so in our eye.Television capture affects us in many ways that our actions are most influenced by film and music industry today. Some of us even tend to live like the celebrities and TV stars not knowing that in real life there will be a completely different setting.
abcxyz
Posted: Saturday, August 14, 2010 10:22:01 AM

Neurons: 3,200
srirr wrote:
abcxyz wrote:

I contradict. I think effect of a bad movie is even more. But it depends on what you define as bad.

If a movie can influence you in any way, is it still a terribly bad movie to you?
srirr
Posted: Monday, August 16, 2010 12:39:30 AM

Neurons: 484,288
abcxyz wrote:
srirr wrote:
abcxyz wrote:

If a movie can influence you in any way, is it still a terribly bad movie to you?

Thats what I want to say. It depends on you what a bad movie can be. If a movie has bad influence on you, will you call it bad? Or if a movie is not technically strong, then you call it bad. Or when a movie does not have a good script, you call it bad. Or when the script is good, but the direction and /or acting is not good, you call it bad.

What is bad?

In all these cases, it has some influence on the viewer. A pathetic direction can lead to headache. :)