mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Barbeque Options
HWNN1961
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2010 12:40:56 AM

Neurons: 9,763
All,

I'm on vacation. Naturally, it has rained three straight days so far. Happily, I long since abandoned the foolishness of relying on good weather for my ease during holiday. I've already gone on an all-day wine tasting. Watched the bunnies happily muching on the apples I left for them. Right now, it's raining yet again. But, I need not rouse myself at 5 AM tomorrow. Nor the next day.

A couple months ago, we had a thread here about having a BBQ, and also, who would we invite. I was cooking a chicken on rotisserie today and thought of all of you. It would be nice to ask your opinions about whatever came to mind. Have a face-to-face "thread". Offer a beer, glass of wine, lemonade, soda, whatever. Sit in the shade of the porch, and get to put voices and faces to the intelligent and admirable people I've met here.

There really isn't a specific point to this topic. Just that I hope you all have a great summer. I hope you get to appreciate all the simple pleasures such as a laten night barbeque, a bonfire under the stars. I'm a thoughtful person, as are all of you. I think of you all at such times.

In 3 short weeks, I will retreat to my cabin in the woods. I'll write to you of the animals that I encounter.

Once, near Oneonta New York, a very determined black bear insisted he was coming in to our cabin for a visit. My first reaction was to (OK, my first reaction was to piss myself) run. What I did was take some cooking implements and bang them loudly together. It frightened the bear. He ran off.

We could not convince the park rangers that we didn't cause the damage to the cabin.

I hope the stories I share won't be quite so exhilerating!
Tovarish
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2010 1:11:25 AM

Neurons: 39,933
Sounds great Hwnn, have a great time, kick back and contemplate the 'puzzle'.

It's winter here, still two and a half months to go.

Cheers to you, my toast is with a very nice Sav Blanc.

Watch out for those 'drop bears'
chitta chatta
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2010 2:08:30 AM

Neurons: 1,183
Tovarish, I love those 'drop bears', don't you?

HWNN1961, I am not sure if I would be classified as intelligent or admirable, but I don't care I'm coming along anyway. Since I've been invited to the BBQ, is it OK if I call you "Howie"? Was there really a lot of rabbits or was that the wine effecting you? (slight chuckle). I like my steak medium-rare (pink but no blood) and someone else can have my bacon. Lottsa salad - including the beetroot! I'll have a "spritzer" (or, 2) thanks (dash of wine, and lots of lemonade) to carry a cheer with you. Sorry to make this brief ol' matey, as I've got another appointment. Been bit crook as the head cold has now gone down into my chest. Plus, my little granny baby has a touch of Broncitis.. (how can a 5 mth old have a touch' of anything? - idiot doctor). Be careful of those bears as they have a tendency to sneak up behind you, I heard. So, do drink inside.. did you know that rain is a sign of fertility? It rained on my daughter's wedding day and she had a baby 9.5 months later.. so watch out! As Monty Python said: "Always look on the bright side of life.. de/dum, de/dum, ...etc".
Tovarish
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2010 5:00:49 AM

Absolutely, they make a Koala look puny.
oxymoron
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2010 5:42:35 AM

Neurons: 845
Is it a log cabin Hdubya? Stayed in one once on a lake in Washington state. The lake was still as a millpond with Loons and I think an Osprey pair. The water to all intents and purposes was a sheet of reflective glass beautifully echoing the flora and fauna on its surface so so tranquil. Log cabin had a delicious cozy smell of fires and timber, I'm envious if you got a log cabin.

When in Canada encountered a few black bears like Hobsies Alaskan street gangs and once less than 15/20 feet from a grizzly in Banf national park. We were told [jokingly]it was pointless to run from these amazing creatures, i.e. black bear would follow you up a tree, a grizz would just knock it down. We heeded the advice and stayed in our Vdubya camper. When we were up by Bear lake [Alberta] we heard on the radio of two youngsters being killed in their tents by presumably a grizzly. It took us ages to locate/encounter Moose and then only from a distance.

I'll go for a Moose steak having never tasted its meat before and Salmon fantastic cooked over charcoal. Nice bottle of 15% Rioja with that would be nigh on perfection, Cheers Hdub.
michiko
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2010 7:50:38 AM

Neurons: 131
that's very kind and thoughtful of you HWNN1961, thanks for remembering us though i dont think i qualify for the 'intelligent and admirable' forum members you're referring to, but i must agree that there are a lot of big minds in this forum.
im just so jealous of you knowing that you're on a vacation, while im here at my desk banging my head for much trouble at work, nevertheless i can still steal a few minutes to post here.and speaking of steaks, tonight i'll grill a mouthwatering rarely cooked angus beef for dinner.it will be sinfully tasty, har har!
dingdong
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2010 7:59:40 AM

Neurons: 3,370
michiko wrote:
that's very kind and thoughtful of you HWNN1961, thanks for remembering us though i dont think i qualify for the 'intelligent and admirable' forum members you're referring to, but i must agree that there are a lot of big minds in this forum.
im just so jealous of you knowing that you're on a vacation, while im here at my desk banging my head for much trouble at work, nevertheless i can still steal a few minutes to post here.and speaking of steaks, tonight i'll grill a mouthwatering rarely cooked angus beef for dinner.it will be sinfully tasty, har har!

Angus beef or over-friendly pigeon?
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2010 8:14:07 AM

Neurons: 594,898
That reminds me, I haven't had toasted marshmallows for a long time ;-)
Vickster
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2010 8:46:36 AM

Neurons: 7,211
As long as you have red wine, I'll bring the macaroni or potato salad!! I'll make a fine dessert too!! I love going to wine-tasting when on vacation so I'd be right there with you!! It always seem to rain on my vacations too... spent a whole week at a log cabin with an outdoor whirlpool... Well, don't you know it poured all week long...But, I was NOT going to let the rain bring me down.. bottle in hand, I sat in that whirlpool as it poured...lol. My oldest son was a bit ticked off...hard to be stuck on vacation with your mother with nothing to do!! so then I spent another week in the woods camping with my son... I think it was up in Vermont.. but they warned us of black bears, so my son was petrified at night, swearing he heard bear in our campsite...and if that wasn't bad enough, it poured on our parade once again.. we ended up leaving a few days earlier because we hit the top of our small tent, allowing the rain to pour in... I woke up in the middle of the night with a puddle near my head... lovely!! Wet tent, wet sleeping bags and all were thrown into my car and we went home...disgusted!! How are the capgrounds up in New York?? Got any favorites you can suggest?? Hope you have a peaceful and relaxing vacation... enjoy!!
michiko
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2010 9:17:49 AM

dingdong wrote:
michiko wrote:

Angus beef or over-friendly pigeon?

lol! forget about the pigeon DD :)
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2010 9:23:25 AM

Neurons: 594,898
Some members were fantasizing a forum meeting last autumn ;-)
michiko
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2010 9:50:39 AM

actually its a great idea if we all could meet and have some kind of retreat but before it happens our forum must become a real, accredited and legal organization, by then we could hold Annual or Semi-annual meetings to which ever country/ place it might be assigned. Have real membership IDs to keep the organization safe and free from intruders. how exciting would it be to meet eveybody in this forum, and have connections from different parts of this world.
Christine
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2010 10:12:13 AM

Neurons: 15,842
dingdong, or lamb.

HWNN1961, you remind me of childhood. Cottages, bonfire, good food, stars, swimming, deer (but no bear).

Have a wonderful vacation!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndVPdCOAwcg&feature=PlayList&p=ABAAD109655CEC75&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=93

A delightful video... Mama bear wrestles tree to rescue cub
dev_sircar
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2010 10:17:34 AM

Neurons: 5,932
HWNN1961's topic makes me recall from memory the bygone days when, as engineer-in charge of construction of a new road - a short-cut between two towns already connected by a tortuous black-top road - through thickly forested hills, interspersed with cascading jhoras [water falls]; I had to go on tour at intervals for inspection of the work.
The programme involved being dropped at one end of the new road, releasing the driver to return to HQ.

My site staff were stationed at jungle camps – mostly built on stilts - at a few miles intervals along the road under construction and the staff from the nearest camp would meet me when I had reached the starting point.The gangmen would carry my luggage to the camp while I would walk along slowly, inspecting the work and eventually reach the camp for lunch.

At times the road will traverse a saddle between hills offering breath-taking view of the landscape of the dales on either side; while on other occasions, due to a section of the road not having been cut to allow some change in alignment, I would take a detour along the trace path[narrow path tracing the alignment of the originally planned road] with overhanging branches of trees making a vault to conceal the sky altogether and suddenly I would hear the calls of deer and pea-cocks telling me of their presence in the clearing ahead. We quicken our pace but are amused to find some tribal boys mimicking the calls so perfectly.

Being used to reside in the plains, I would be dog tired after journeying along the road of changing slopes [tribals are used to go up and down hill for straight cuts and, while at the end of such journies, you would be panting, they would not be out of breath].

Once in the camp, I would sit on a cane-stool, sipping a cup of tea and a gangman would take off my jungle boots and socks before I proceeded to an enclosure where hot water would be ready for my bath.

Menu for lunch in the camp would normally consist of fried/boiled rice and some chiken preparation, but some vegetables and sweets used to be specially arranged for my visit.This was so, since camps used to store bags of rice for weekly supply to the labourers. The chicks would forage in the jungles and multiply without much attention.

Next would be time for a nap followed by discussion with my deputy and sub-deputies over tea.
We would have game of cards in lantern lights, before having supper and retiring for the night’s repose, amidst calls of deer, leopards and other denizens of the forest, some of whom I would happen to meet even during day.

Next morning, after breakfast, I would start inspection of the road on way to the next camp.
After the last leg of inspection, I would reach the black-top road in the other town, where my driver will be waiting with the jeep, to take me back to my HQ and , like all episodes of life, a journey will end leaving only pleasant memories.
Tovarish
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2010 11:51:11 PM

Watch out for the Drop Bears, and their serious side effects, a wobbly boot!
Have fun!
dingdong
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 10:56:21 AM

Neurons: 3,370
michiko wrote:

lol! forget about the pigeon DD :)

Well, I'll try, michiko, but the image is imprinted on my mind.