mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
I cannot express it: but surely you and everybody have a notion that there is, or should be, an existence of yours beyond you. Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2015 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 94,785
I cannot express it: but surely you and everybody have a notion that there is, or should be, an existence of yours beyond you.

Emily Bronte (1818-1848)
ChristopherJohnson
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2015 1:09:25 AM

Neurons: 2,005,047
Freudian subconscious?
Bully_rus
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2015 2:20:32 AM

Neurons: 317,956
There are two basic approaches: find it or make it from scratch... Where have you been all my life?
Higgs271
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2015 3:45:55 AM

Neurons: 646,881

I cannot express it: but surely you and everybody have a notion that there is, or should be, an existence of yours beyond you.
Emily Bronte (1818-1848)

Out-of-body experience?

JMV
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2015 4:15:02 AM

Neurons: 25,208
There is the corporal you and the spiritual you. They tend to bicker like jealous siblings. The conflict between flesh and spirit is a common biblical theme and is not unique to Christianity.
My advice, for what it's worth: work on the spiritual you. Many go to gyms to work out and look good on the outside, but it's what's on the inside that really needs attention.

"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come." (I Timothy 4:8)
REAL STAR
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2015 5:49:45 AM

Neurons: 3,364
JMV wrote:
There is the corporal you and the spiritual you. They tend to bicker like jealous siblings. The conflict between flesh and spirit is a common biblical theme and is not unique to Christianity.
My advice, for what it's worth: work on the spiritual you. Many go to gyms to work out and look good on the outside, but it's what's on the inside that really needs attention.

"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come." (I Timothy 4:8)

Ya I agree with your quote
monamagda
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2015 7:19:26 AM

Neurons: 6,525,365
\\here the context from :Wuthering Heights
Chapter IX

'It is not,' retorted she; 'it is the best! The others were the satisfaction of my whims: and for Edgar's sake, too, to satisfy him. This is for the sake of one who comprehends in his person my feelings to Edgar and myself. I cannot express it; but surely you and everybody have a notion that there is or should be an existence of yours beyond you. What were the use of my creation, if I were entirely contained here? My great miseries in this world have been Heathcliff's miseries, and I watched and felt each from the beginning: my great thought in living is himself. If all else perished, and HE remained, I should still continue to be; and if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger: I should not seem a part of it. - My love for Linton is like the foliage in the woods: time will change it, I'm well aware, as winter changes the trees. My love for Heathcliff resembles the eternal rocks beneath: a source of little visible delight, but necessary. Nelly, I AM Heathcliff! He's always, always in my mind: not as a pleasure, any more than I am always a pleasure to myself, but as my own being. So don't talk of our separation again: it is impracticable; and - '
She paused, and hid her face in the folds of my gown; but I jerked it forcibly away. I was out of patience with her folly!

Read the book http://www.pagebypagebooks.com/Emily_Bronte/Wuthering_Heights/Chapter_IX_p6.html
mudbudda669
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2015 8:32:28 AM

Neurons: 407,461
is or should be are two very different things !
Victor Alexandre Berto Pereira
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2015 11:19:34 AM

Neurons: 243,099
that's why I'm a spiritualist and also a medium Pray
bethpacheco
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2015 3:34:54 PM

Neurons: 1,407
I suppose it refers to the theory that human spirit is double in its essence, but divides in order to experience the material world into negative and positive (as in electricity, two poles, male, female, yin, yang)
Virginia Lathan
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2015 5:00:54 PM

Neurons: 5,980
monamagda wrote:
\\here the context from :Wuthering Heights
Chapter IX

'It is not,' retorted she; 'it is the best! The others were the satisfaction of my whims: and for Edgar's sake, too, to satisfy him. This is for the sake of one who comprehends in his person my feelings to Edgar and myself. I cannot express it; but surely you and everybody have a notion that there is or should be an existence of yours beyond you. What were the use of my creation, if I were entirely contained here? My great miseries in this world have been Heathcliff's miseries, and I watched and felt each from the beginning: my great thought in living is himself. If all else perished, and HE remained, I should still continue to be; and if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger: I should not seem a part of it. - My love for Linton is like the foliage in the woods: time will change it, I'm well aware, as winter changes the trees. My love for Heathcliff resembles the eternal rocks beneath: a source of little visible delight, but necessary. Nelly, I AM Heathcliff! He's always, always in my mind: not as a pleasure, any more than I am always a pleasure to myself, but as my own being. So don't talk of our separation again: it is impracticable; and - '
She paused, and hid her face in the folds of my gown; but I jerked it forcibly away. I was out of patience with her folly!

I agree with what most of the other commentators have said, that it seems like she's observed there's more to her than her physical self: she's also got a spiritual self. However, as I read the quote in context, she sounds just a little too co-dependent to me, mainly when she says, "He's always, always in my mind: not as a pleasure, any more than I am always a pleasure to myself, but as my own being. So don't talk of our separation again: it is impracticable; and" - 'I can see why Nelly had to say she was "...was out of patience with her folly!"

Thanks monamagda for your added research.
Read the book http://www.pagebypagebooks.com/Emily_Bronte/Wuthering_Heights/Chapter_IX_p6.html
johnfl
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2015 8:42:17 PM

Neurons: 457,304
TO LIVE A FULL LIFE ONE MUST DIE.
Verbatim
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2015 2:05:19 PM

Neurons: 248,317
Daemon wrote:

Emily Bronte (1818-1848)

One existence is enough for most of us. Anything beyond that, concomitant, would annoy the senses. And if successive existence, well, it would annoy Buddha.Anxious