The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

George Orwell (1903) Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 91,602
George Orwell (1903)

Best known by his pseudonym George Orwell, Eric Arthur Blair was a British novelist and essayist famed for his scathingly satirical and frighteningly political novels: the anti-Soviet fable Animal Farm and Nineteen Eighty-Four, a prophetic novel that portrays the catastrophic excesses of state control over the individual. Orwell was distrustful of all political parties and ideologies, and this sentiment is reflected in much of his work. What are some of his other novels? More...
ChristopherJohnson
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 1:39:33 AM

Neurons: 1,916,504
The man who hated totalitarianism and could see the true face of so-called Soviet Union. Curious, how could other writers, such as Bernard Shaw, for example, be so meticulously blind.
pedro
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 4:16:46 AM

Neurons: 63,022
I recall reading his scathing criticism of Salvador Dali - http://www.george-orwell.org/Benefit_of_Clergy:_Some_Notes_on_Salvador_Dali/0.html
In my student days I would probably have defended Dali as a token rebellion, but much of what he says rings true now. Dali was Vermeer smeared with excrement.
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 11:48:25 AM

Neurons: 2,590,862
I recently introduced a friend to Orwell's 1984. He was blown away the same way I was when I read it as a teenager. Happy Birthday, George Orwell! Applause
Gary98
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 12:28:15 PM

Neurons: 5,233,560
ChristopherJohnson wrote:
The man who hated totalitarianism and could see the true face of so-called Soviet Union. Curious, how could other writers, such as Bernard Shaw, for example, be so meticulously blind.

I am not sure he will just worry about the past Soviet Union. Freedom is encroached everywhere these days.