mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
fix/solve/sort out Options
darcy606
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2015 3:19:56 PM

Neurons: 3,304
Hi everybody,

I would like to know if the three words in the title have the same meaning.

Fix/solve/sort out a problem.
fix/solve/sort out the electricity( when there is no electricity)

Are there contexts in which only one or two of them can be used?

Is 'down the bottom', 'down the end' correct in english? Like in 'put it down the bottom(of a room)', 'there is one down the end(of a corridor). Is there any difference between down the bottom/end and in/at the bottom/end?

Does the next sentence sound correct: 'we should have put the couch more to that end(or to that side)

Is it 'driving on x street' or 'driving along x street'. I don't really know which up or down is so I would rather use this expressions if they are correct.

Thank you.

Bareskin2000
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2015 3:52:16 PM

Neurons: 471,878
Fix = Repair where the solution is known.
Solve = Is more where the solotion to the problem is not obvious.
Sort out = Is more where there is a muddle requiring solving first before the repair.
tunaafi
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2015 4:02:16 PM

Neurons: 53,503
darcy606 wrote:

I have a few more questions to ask and I'm going to do it here, I'm not sure what's the best between creating a new topic for each of them or asking all the question in one topic.

If your questions are closely related to the original question, then it's probably a good idea to ask them in this thread. If they are not, start new threads, or this one may become rambling and/or confusing.
towan52
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2015 4:06:41 PM

Neurons: 228,383
They have similar meanings, but not the same:
Fix: usually means to repair something that is broken
Solve: means to "make sense of", for example you could solve a crossword or a puzzle or even a mystery
Sort out: is a generic term that can mean fix or solve and also had a wider meaning "I can sort out out the mess you made of this job" or "Please sort out this junk draw"

Your example of electricity is not worded well, you could say I need to find out why the electricity is out, then I can fix the problem.

Bottom suggests the lower extremity (vertically) of some thing. For example, "I dropped my watch in the well and it's still down the bottom." or "put this in the bottom drawer."

Down the end suggests lateral. For example your room is down the end of the corridor. Or you could sit at one end of the couch.

Up or down a street depends on your perspective and can be discretionary. I live in London but I'm moving up to Manchester. or I live in Manchester but I'm moving up to London.

You can either drive on or along X street (until you get to the bottom! Whistle )