mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Bong Water in Your Corn Flakes? Options
Kat
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 11:18:14 PM

Neurons: 3,389
What's going on in this forum?

What's with all the mistrust, harassment, paranoia and down right silliness?

Can someone please clue me?
JayJay
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 11:38:42 PM

Neurons: 477
So, are you saying this is abnormal behaviour for a forum?
kisholoy mukherjee
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 11:40:22 PM

Neurons: 7,777
I could clear a few confusions in a minute. So that this forum can become normal again. But ironically, it is the forum rules that prevents me (or others accused wrongly) from doing that.
grammargeek
Posted: Tuesday, June 1, 2010 12:17:31 AM

Neurons: 33,836
Applause Love the title of this topic Kat!

I had no idea what I was going to find when I clicked on it, but it made me laugh so much, I just had to see.

I can't answer the question, but I'm definitely going to make a point to find a way to work "Bong water in your corn flakes?" into a conversation sometime.
Dancing
26letters
Posted: Tuesday, June 1, 2010 12:28:16 AM

Neurons: 2,050
kisholoy mukherjee Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 11:40:22 PM
I could clear a few confusions in a minute. So that this forum can become normal again. But ironically, it is the forum rules that prevents me (or others accused wrongly) from doing that.

26letters writes: KM, I'm probably the least qualified to comment on this, but I've read a couple of the posts to get an idea of what's going on. Please forgive me if I'm way out in left field, but you're so close to the situation that you seem unable to escape from it. I think you want to, but fear that everyone is against you. They're not.

The fact is, in situations like this most people just opt to stay out of it, taking neither side hoping that it will soon blow over.

This is a personal issue between you and (who knows)? Take it up with admin., ignore the aggressor and let it go. I know, you've tried. Keep trying.

If this is someone that has hounded you for a very long time, it would be better for you to use an alias instead of your real name. You make it too easy for someone to follow you, by posting your real name and location. Maybe you should get a fresh start and let "kisholoy mukherjee" free to get a decent night's sleep.

kisholoy mukherjee
Posted: Tuesday, June 1, 2010 12:42:53 AM

Neurons: 7,777
26letters wrote:
kisholoy mukherjee Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 11:40:22 PM

26letters writes: KM, I'm probably the least qualified to comment on this, but I've read a couple of the posts to get an idea of what's going on. Please forgive me if I'm way out in left field, but you're so close to the situation that you seem unable to escape from it. I think you want to, but fear that everyone is against you. They're not.

The fact is, in situations like this most people just opt to stay out of it, taking neither side hoping that it will soon blow over.

This is a personal issue between you and (who knows)? Take it up with admin., ignore the aggressor and let it go. I know, you've tried. Keep trying.

If this is someone that has hounded you for a very long time, it would be better for you to use an alias instead of your real name. You make it too easy for someone to follow you, by posting your real name and location. Maybe you should get a fresh start and let "kisholoy mukherjee" free to get a decent night's sleep.

Thank you 26letters for the really decent reply. At last someone has tried to see my side of the story.
Just two things:
1. A guy, uncoverer, a guy who I've know for years, has been stalking me here in TFD. Everything that happened between me and him, including external conversations which he posted here in violation of forum rules, is a continuation of a past bitterness, which he revived btw.

2. Avonlea and me are not the same. Abc and me are not the same. These are two allegations being made about me and I have tried to explain my stance. But to no avail. Everyone seemed to enjoy DD taking a cheap dig at me and yet, when I, in a bid to vindicate myself of these allegations, asked Avonlea to step in and clear some confusions, everyone pointed the blame at me, saying I am the one accusing and being paranoid.

That is very unfair. People here just don't give me a chance to explain my position. And if they don't care about these things, why do they start them in the first place (eg. DingDong)? I will be more than happy to leave the matters only to the admins, but people here often didn't do that.

People will make false allegations about me and I am supposed to keep quiet?
srirr
Posted: Tuesday, June 1, 2010 12:53:28 AM

Neurons: 484,288
Kat wrote:

The forum is not what it used to be or what it is supposed to be. From a language-oriented forum, it turned into Knowledge and Culture forum. It has also gained craze of accusing, figthing, blaming and all sorts of blah but English (with some exception). As JayJay pointed, it is not abnormal for any forum. But it surely lowers the reputation of the forum.

BTW: How many posts (and new topics) do you find in Grammar or Vocabulary sections? And how many posts in K&C section?

As it said, dont wrestle with a pig in mud. After a while, you realise that you are getting dirty while the pig is enjoying.

Let me stay out. :)
26letters
Posted: Tuesday, June 1, 2010 1:38:48 AM

Neurons: 2,050
kisholoy mukherjee Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2010 12:42:53 AM
That is very unfair. People here just don't give me a chance to explain my position. And if they don't care about these things, why do they start them in the first place (eg. DingDong)? I will be more than happy to leave the matters only to the admins, but people here often didn't do that.

26letters writes: I understand your frustration. As I said earlier, I don't know the details so I cannot judge one way or the other. You might do yourself a favor and take a vacation from this place. Fighting it out will only make you more frustrated.

As far as "keeping quiet" when false allegations are made: You've seen the alternative. As you said, "People here just don't give me a chance to explain my position." As hard as it is, sometimes keeping quiet and letting it pass is the best option, maybe the only option. The allegations won't be remembered nearly as long as the court case that followed them.
peterhewett
Posted: Tuesday, June 1, 2010 2:18:31 AM

Neurons: 3,698
KM

You are the cause of many of the problems with your jingoism... your tendency to take offence and your uncompromising language. Why do you think trouble follows you? Is everybody else wrong and you are right ? Of course not... there is a pattern to it. You need to tone down your language... stop getting hot under the collar over nothing and be more selective about posting. You cannot be an expert on every subject. Why not behave as if you are in a conversation with a group. Sometimes you will feel the need to comment, and at other times modesty will cause you to hold back since others appear to know more than you. Try it. Don't take so much personally and stop banging the patriotic and nationaalist drums.
JayJay
Posted: Tuesday, June 1, 2010 3:57:26 AM

Neurons: 477
kisholoy mukherjee wrote:
[quote=26letters]kisholoy mukherjee Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 11:40:22 PM

Thank you 26letters for the really decent reply. At last someone has tried to see my side of the story.
Just two things:
1. A guy, uncoverer, a guy who I've know for years, has been stalking me here in TFD. Everything that happened between me and him, including external conversations which he posted here in violation of forum rules, is a continuation of a past bitterness, which he revived btw.

2. Avonlea and me are not the same. Abc and me are not the same. These are two allegations being made about me and I have tried to explain my stance. But to no avail. Everyone seemed to enjoy DD taking a cheap dig at me and yet, when I, in a bid to vindicate myself of these allegations, asked Avonlea to step in and clear some confusions, everyone pointed the blame at me, saying I am the one accusing and being paranoid.

You are definitely not quiet KM, and you are probably the most active contributor to just about every thread. But, somehow all topics seem to lead back to Indian or world politics, religion or other sensitive issues. As you have discovered you can create enemies with hard line views on these subjects especially with some of the more radical people perusing this forum. So, if you are going to play hardball here, then get on with it and stop your whining. By the way, I am not yelling at you or trying to mean...just slightly annoyed.
Discombobulated
Posted: Tuesday, June 1, 2010 5:12:33 AM

Neurons: 975
Nice topic heading! Although at first I read it as BOG water in your corn flakes ie toilet water!

Kat, I wish it would all just end. Why can't some people be the bigger man and let it go. I agree with JayJay in that it is probably typical forum behaviour; perhaps we should make a pledge to become an atypical forum and leave this messy behaviour behind us.
Kami
Posted: Tuesday, June 1, 2010 7:39:13 AM

Neurons: 687
Kat wrote:

"mistrust, harassment, paranoia and down right silliness?"...I don't seem to notice all that in this forum but i think it's a question of inadequacy of ideas.

Kat
Posted: Tuesday, June 1, 2010 8:07:14 AM

Kami wrote:
Kat wrote:

"mistrust, harassment, paranoia and down right silliness?"...I don't seem to notice all that in this forum but i think it's a question of inadequacy of ideas.

I think it's the same two or three people micro analyzing
and arguing about every statement until the original topic
is a blur.
Perhaps we should all ignore responses that stray too far from the thread.
Speaking of which, there was no bong water in my cornflakes this morning.

Richard
Posted: Tuesday, June 1, 2010 8:18:53 AM

Neurons: 1,043
peterhewett wrote:
KM

You are the cause of many of the problems with your jingoism... your tendency to take offence and your uncompromising language. Why do you think trouble follows you? Is everybody else wrong and you are right ? Of course not... there is a pattern to it. You need to tone down your language... stop getting hot under the collar over nothing and be more selective about posting. You cannot be an expert on every subject. Why not behave as if you are in a conversation with a group. Sometimes you will feel the need to comment, and at other times modesty will cause you to hold back since others appear to know more than you. Try it. Don't take so much personally and stop banging the patriotic and nationaalist drums.

...said the pot to the kettle.
redsxz
Posted: Tuesday, June 1, 2010 9:11:22 AM

Neurons: 5,425
Richard wrote:
peterhewett wrote:
KM

...said the pot to the kettle.

Funny!

But in all earnestness, I don't really see KM as being to much of anything or maybe it was in the past which I did not belong.
Kat
Posted: Tuesday, June 1, 2010 9:27:22 AM

JayJay wrote:
So, are you saying this is abnormal behaviour for a forum?

Well...this is the only forum I've ever joined. And yes, I've seen many lively
debates, witty comebacks even some heated arguments here, but not the angry
accusations and ugliness back and forth, until the topic is lost to the minutia
of the sparring partners.

peterhewett
Posted: Tuesday, June 1, 2010 10:10:41 AM

Richard

Who exactly are you Richard old boy? Should I say cleverdick or unclever dick? Or maybe dick....?

You post these snide uninformative little oneliners that mean nothing since they reveal nothing. If you have something to say to me stop hiding and say it.

Stop hiding behind what you obviously see as clever dick...excuse the pun...little sayings.

I have not seen one post by you, as yet, that contains anything of substance. They always follow the same form.

I have already made the decision to ignore comments directed at me by Kisholoy Mukerjee ... looks as though the same will apply to you the way things are going.

This forum used to be a decent place to enjoy discussion... I am getting disillusioned with it what with the argumentative and strongly nationalistic, drum bashing patriots. I have no idea where you fit in except that you like little sarcastic oneliners, usually judgmental, and not discussions.

Richard
Posted: Tuesday, June 1, 2010 10:26:11 AM

peterhewett wrote:
Richard

Who exactly are you Richard old boy? Should I say cleverdick or unclever dick? Or maybe dick....?

You post these snide uninformative little oneliners that mean nothing since they reveal nothing. If you have something to say to me stop hiding and say it.

Stop hiding behind what you obviously see as clever dick...excuse the pun...little sayings.

I have not seen one post by you, as yet, that contains anything of substance. They always follow the same form.

I have already made the decision to ignore comments directed at me by Kisholoy Mukerjee ... looks as though the same will apply to you the way things are going.

This forum used to be a decent place to enjoy discussion... I am getting disillusioned with it what with the argumentative and strongly nationalistic, drum bashing patriots. I have no idea where you fit in except that you like little sarcastic oneliners, usually judgmental, and not discussions.

Poor Pete! You just can't resist the lure, can you? Thanks for the entertainment.
dingdong
Posted: Tuesday, June 1, 2010 10:29:48 AM

Neurons: 3,370
KM wrote: 1. A guy, uncoverer, a guy who I've know for years, has been stalking me here in TFD. Everything that happened between me and him, including external conversations which he posted here in violation of forum rules, is a continuation of a past bitterness, which he revived btw.

KM, you are doing it again.
1. We all know this. You have told us 673 times.
2. Don't be so poker-faced. See the funny side. Accept that people will take digs at you - don't react like you've been attacked with a machete.
Don't try to explain your position. It usually makes things worse because you use 1000 words and then get the logic wrong. Walk away, instead.
As 26letters said, get a good night's sleep, or two, or twenty - joke!!!

Really, I'm trying to help.

peterhewett
Posted: Tuesday, June 1, 2010 10:31:00 AM

Richard you are right and you cannot resist the infantile sarcasm. Touche old boy... what.

Here a is a selection of your inane comments which amount to meaningless drivel. Take a look at yourself.

I have nothing to say, period. That won't prevent me from saying it. ;)

I never argue with real dicks.

Don't be so hard on yourself, I'm sure you have other better qualities besides naivete and ignorance.

Naivete and ignorance

To put it as simply as I can so that maybe even you can understand: I can (and will) say words that do not mean anything. Is that clearer?

Rather than engage in meaningful conversation, or exchange of views, you opt for what you think are clever one-liners. Are you afraid of healthy discussion or do you just like to be a spoiler?
redsxz
Posted: Tuesday, June 1, 2010 10:39:43 AM

Neurons: 5,425
peterhewett wrote:
Richard you are right and you cannot resist the infantile sarcasm. Touche old boy... what.

Here a is a selection of your inane comments which amount to meaningless drivel. Take a look at yourself.

Don't be so hard on yourself, I'm sure you have other better qualities besides naivete and ignorance.

Naivete and ignorance

To put it as simply as I can so that maybe even you can understand: I can (and will) say words that do not mean anything. Is that clearer?

Rather than engage in meaningful conversation, or exchange of views, you opt for what you think are clever one-liners. Are you afraid of healthy discussion or do you just like to be a spoiler?

He's a strange one eh, but take his comments for the witty drivel they are. I'd still keep him around.
Richard
Posted: Tuesday, June 1, 2010 10:42:47 AM

peterhewett wrote:

Naivete and ignorance

Some of my greatest hits. Flattering. Actually, I can't take credit for the third one. Thanks for keeping the ball rolling, Pete. ;)
Taxijack
Posted: Tuesday, June 1, 2010 10:43:16 AM

Neurons: 186
This all reminds me of an old Yorkshire saying. "The whole worlds queer save thee and me Lad, and even thee's a little queer!"
Richard
Posted: Tuesday, June 1, 2010 10:44:10 AM

redsxz wrote:
peterhewett wrote:

Naivete and ignorance

He's a strange one eh, but take his comments for the witty drivel they are. I'd still keep him around.

I'm drinking one to you, Red! ;)
dingdong
Posted: Tuesday, June 1, 2010 10:53:23 AM

Neurons: 3,370
PLEASE - don't feed the trolls. (I did, but I think I got away with it)
Richard
Posted: Tuesday, June 1, 2010 10:57:08 AM

dingdong wrote:
PLEASE - don't feed the trolls. (I did, but I think I got away with it)

Now you're catching on, dingdong. Still, I never entirely forget the hand that feeds me. ;)
peterhewett
Posted: Tuesday, June 1, 2010 11:03:36 AM

Ha dear boy Richard so I elicted the inevitable onliner... just as I thought.

You said Thanks for keeping the ball rolling, Pete. ;)

I say With such delightful in depth discussions one is hardly tempted to kick it into touch. Tell me Richard are you as voluble in live conversations or do you clam up?
Richard
Posted: Tuesday, June 1, 2010 11:08:15 AM

peterhewett wrote:
Ha dear boy Richard so I elicted the inevitable onliner... just as I thought.

You said Thanks for keeping the ball rolling, Pete. ;)

I say With such delightful in depth discussion one is hardly tempted to kick it into touch. Tell me Richard are you as voluble in live conversations or do you clam up?

If that's a subtle hint for a rendezvous, no thanks. I'm beginning to think you're developing a bit of a crush on me, Pete.
Luftmarque
Posted: Tuesday, June 1, 2010 11:19:19 AM

Neurons: 39,962
I have to admit that the signal-to-noise ratio of TFD Language Forums has degraded markedly of late, to the point where I turned off the automatic email notifications for being a waste of time. I'll still glance at active topics but more and more are becoming tedious polemics. Need some leavening of humor and graciousness. IMNSHO.
peterhewett
Posted: Tuesday, June 1, 2010 11:28:14 AM

You said I'm beginning to think you're developing a bit of a crush on me,

I replied

Perish the thought old chap... although you do have a way with you. I will step aside for you so that you can sign out with a flourishing one-liner as befits you. Fire a way!

NB. Here's to a future in depth discussion.
Richard
Posted: Tuesday, June 1, 2010 11:38:11 AM

peterhewett wrote:
You said I'm beginning to think you're developing a bit of a crush on me,

I replied

Perish the thought old chap... although you do a way with you. I will step aside for you so that you can sign out with a flourishing one-liner as befits you. Fire a way!

NB. Here's to a future in depth discussion.

Still the eternal optimist.
oxymoron
Posted: Tuesday, June 1, 2010 12:25:53 PM

Neurons: 845
RuthP
Posted: Tuesday, June 1, 2010 1:06:19 PM

Neurons: 87,618
1.) Kat, Thanks for the topic. I loved the title! Dancing (Very Happy smiley)

2.) Mark, I think you are correct about the signal-to-noise ratio. Brick wall One hopes temporarily.

3.) 26letters, I completely agree with your posts; they apply to all of us. Yup, me, too. d'oh!

Here is my take:
We have had some problems like this in the past. Ignoring inappropriate posts and judicious application to Administrators in the case of abuse seem to handle things in the long-run.

If those of us who wish polite discussion are patient and persistent, we will prevail, because we will be too boring to hold the interest of those who wish only dissension.

Have faith in one's fellow FreeDelphians. We know the quality of those with whom we have been communicating and take with several grains of salt any accusations. (To "take with a grain of salt" is idiomatic for "not put complete trust in.")

In personal words: My opinion of you is predicated upon how we discuss an issue, especially when we disagree. It does not demand we agree, merely that we disagree about the issue rather than our respective characters. My opinion is influenced by how I see you respond - or not respond when appropriate - to others (including to me), rather than what others say about you.

In short: patience, politeness, and trust. Happy to know Y'all.Dancing
Avonlea
Posted: Tuesday, June 1, 2010 2:05:25 PM

What is happening to the Formum? I am trying to be a good member and ignore all those who are calling me s lier that I am not who I say I am. I for one would like the Forum go gack to nomrmal. New members should be welcomed and not met by a battering ram and all will be back to normal and peace will reign. At least I hope so. I am all for peace.
marylamb
Posted: Tuesday, June 1, 2010 2:50:20 PM

Neurons: 1,017
What's this world coming to?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBwDSr91Ri4

Thanks oxy for the video of a beautiful woman getting stoned.

Don't knock bong juice on cornflakes until you've tried it.