mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Alexander Sergeyevich Pushkin (1799) Options
Daemon
Posted: Saturday, June 6, 2015 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,236
Alexander Sergeyevich Pushkin (1799)

Among the giants of Russian literature, Pushkin was a poet and writer whose masterpieces include the poem The Bronze Horseman, the drama The Stone Guest, and his verse novel Eugene Onegin, which contains witty descriptions of 19th-century Russian society. Pushkin established the modern poetic language of Russia, using Russian history for the basis of many works, but his career was cut short when he died after a duel with a young Frenchman. How old was he when he died? More...
Shamshad Ali Afridi
Posted: Saturday, June 6, 2015 7:15:34 AM

Neurons: 94,307
Pushkin is to Russia what Shakespeare is to England, Saadi to Iran, Iqbal to Pakistan, Goethe to Germany and Dante to Italy.
striker
Posted: Saturday, June 6, 2015 8:36:03 AM

Neurons: 5,079,026
dueling so ridiculous
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Saturday, June 6, 2015 9:41:42 AM

Neurons: 2,599,403
I've read Eugene Onegin, but, like most poetry, it's brilliance is lost when translated. It's lines each end with alternating genders: male, female, male, female. It's hard to understand how inanimate objects can have a gender. To me, something has got to have genitalia to be male or female.
ChristopherJohnson
Posted: Saturday, June 6, 2015 3:43:50 PM

Neurons: 2,217,347
I like many Russian writers, I read their works in Russian and can adequately assess them, but I am not particularly impressed by Pushkin's poetry. I think, his fame is exaggerated.
Stvn
Posted: Saturday, June 6, 2015 5:46:10 PM

Neurons: 491,884
Don't know much about him. About 15 years ago I saw some of Pushkin’s short plays in Dnipropetrovsk, Ukraine, but I don’t remember what they were about.
monamagda
Posted: Saturday, June 6, 2015 6:55:52 PM

Neurons: 7,576,235
HAPPY US FOR YOUR BIRTHDAY!!!

Alexandr Pushkin's death

In his time, the poet was known not only for his poems, but also for his love of women. It was because of them that Pushkin took part in numerous duels protecting his honour. This method of settling disputes was commonplace back then.

But there was one woman who won his heart - a girl from Moscow, Natalya Goncharova. They married in this chapel in 1830 and later Natalya gave birth to 4 children. But it was she, who led Pushkin to his end. A French baron George Dantes was courting the poet's wife. Pushkin challenged him to a duel. On February 10, 1837 Pushkin died after being mortally wounded. He was 38 years old!!

"For the French it was just another episode, they did not react in any way. Duels happened very often back in those times. But in Russia, on the very next day everyone knew that the greatest poet of that period had been shot dead. His funeral gathered thousands," explained Alexander Voinhovich, a historian.

Georgy Galin, the great great grandson of one of Russia's literary giants, says he has no anger towards the family of George Dantes - the man who shot Pushkin dead.

"Many years have passed; it's no use to be angry. Besides, even his family had problems after that duel. One of Dantes' daughters was mad at him for killing the Great Russian poet. Relationship was so tense, that he had her locked up in a mental asylum in the end," said Mr Galin.

http://www.kkovalev.ru/Pushkin_Russia_Today_copy(1).htm
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Sunday, June 7, 2015 1:01:21 AM

Neurons: 37,072
Is there more Russian writer's because they are/were more literate or because the country was so goddamn large????
Bully_rus
Posted: Sunday, June 7, 2015 8:41:20 AM

Neurons: 362,436
Pushkin had huge gambling debts and to some extent sought death. Whether it was consciously or not, but his strategy partially paid off: the Tsar paid off Pushkins's debts at his death...