mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
driving and cellphones...bad idea Options
Vickster
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 2:53:54 PM

Neurons: 7,211
http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view/20100527cops_hit-run_driver_using_phone_tots_condition_upgraded_driver_cited/

If link doesn't work copy and paste....

This outrages me.... Is there still any question that cellphones should not be use during driving??? Shame on you
HWNN1961
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 3:24:54 PM

Neurons: 9,763
It is regrettable that these idiots hurt innocent people along with themselves. Otherwise, cell phone use while driving would be an excellent means of cleansing the gene pool.
Discombobulated
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 3:54:32 PM

Neurons: 975
Isn't it illegal in every country? Correct me if I'm wrong but I am sure using a mobile phone (cell phone) while driving in the UK is illegal. If it is not illegal in all countries, it should be!
Susie
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 4:30:47 PM

Neurons: 1,154
It isn't so much talking on the phone, it's the "searching" for a number or through a text that is the real problem. I don't get why not just wait until you are parked or pulled over?
10 years ago, when cell phones were just becoming the rage, we somehow were getting by without them. We didn't need to talk to anyone as much as we do now. And as time has gone by, more people are just texting, not talking on the phones, which to me is WORSE!!
Ashame another innocent person has to suffer the selfishness of another person.
RuthP
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 5:43:10 PM

Neurons: 87,618
Discombobulated wrote:
Isn't it illegal in every country? Correct me if I'm wrong but I am sure using a mobile phone (cell phone) while driving in the UK is illegal. If it is not illegal in all countries, it should be!

Sadly, in the U.S., this is by state, and sometimes municipal law. Brick wall
Discombobulated
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 5:48:23 PM

RuthP wrote:
Discombobulated wrote:

So, you mean it varies from state to state!? That is appalling. I truly am saddened by this!
RuthP
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 5:57:47 PM

Discombobulated wrote:
RuthP wrote:
Discombobulated wrote:

So, you mean it varies from state to state!? That is appalling. I truly am saddened by this!

Not just cell phone rules, other driving laws like these, too:

Can you turn right (or left onto a one way) on a red light?

Is "no passing" marked with signs or with solid yellow lane-lines?

Can bicycles travel on the Interstate?
kaleem
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 6:49:46 PM

Neurons: 9,948
If it is not illegal in every country to use mobile phone while driveing, then it should be as soon as possible.

gatodepatasblancas
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 6:50:32 PM

Neurons: 66
It's sad when somebody is hurt for a reazon that stupid, but a chid? I want to punch her face until her teeth dance the polka.

The modern cell phones comes with hands-free features, such as voice command, even the most cheap models can dial a number and you dont even need to use your hands.

Then, why the #$/(%& they don't use the hands-free controls?

I cannot make a generalization, but some people apparently think they look cool (idiots) with a cell phone in their hands, even when they are driving. Stupid bunch of donkeys (with my appologies to the real donkeys).

In my country, it's against the law, but the police don't even bother, maybe they think is noth worth their time.

They should ask the innocent victims.

Think about it.
oxymoron
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 7:19:56 PM

Neurons: 845
Discombobulated wrote:

Indeed, carries a maximum £2000 penalty. It should be £10,000 first offence, no loopholes. I see it several times a day and we probably have the most congested roads you can imagine.
doza
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 9:09:49 PM

Neurons: 6
that's crazy just pull over and make your call or wait until later most of us can't even drive when we have both hands on the wheel any way
dingdong
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 11:52:21 PM

Neurons: 3,370
Ask 100 people if it is a bad idea to talk on a cellphone when driving, and 100 will agree.
Ask those same 100 people whether they talk on a cellphone when driving, and probably half will say "yes". Of the other half, some will lie.

So, ask yourself - if your partner calls you when you are driving - what do you do? Be honest.
And then, if you have been honest, you have to agree that you are one of those irresponsible people who should be fined, banned, jailed, etc.

I use cellphones as little as possible; they invade my privacy. However, I have answered calls while driving. So, let only those who are truly innocent condemn me.

srirr
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 12:20:47 AM

Neurons: 484,288
dingdong wrote:
Ask 100 people if it is a bad idea to talk on a cellphone when driving, and 100 will agree.
Ask those same 100 people whether they talk on a cellphone when driving, and probably half will say "yes". Of the other half, some will lie.

So, ask yourself - if your partner calls you when you are driving - what do you do? Be honest.
And then, if you have been honest, you have to agree that you are one of those irresponsible people who should be fined, banned, jailed, etc.

I use cellphones as little as possible; they invade my privacy. However, I have answered calls while driving. So, let only those who are truly innocent condemn me.

Correct. Let he without sin throw the first stone.

I have also used cellphone while driving many a times, to be honest. But I avoid it, if possible or if I feel the call is not so important. For our and others' safety, it should not be used. I agree. It is illegal in many countries.

In fact, we already had discussion on this issue in the thread: Texting while Driving

Edit: Thanks KM. Inadvertently, I had posted link to some other URL. Corrected now.
kisholoy mukherjee
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 12:25:44 AM

Neurons: 7,777
srirr, that's a link to some ad site!! This was the thread:
http://forum.thefreedictionary.com/postst7546_Texting-while-driving.aspx
By the way, I don't quite believe in 'let the one without sin cast the fist stone' in this particular case at least. There isn't a single person on earth who is without sin. Then no one can be punished for anything, ever!!

Everyone who uses a cellphone while driving must be penalized, one way or the other. And there should be no exceptions. If one has to take the call, then he can always pull over, make/take the call and start again. No excuses, please. Human lives are at stake.
srirr
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 12:41:40 AM

Thank you Kisholoy. I have edited my previous post.

Here, DD and myself mean that the sinners [:) who talk while driving] should not condemn others who confess their fault. If I myself am guilty of doing something wrong, I should not criticize others. Let us look inside ourselves first, honestly.

Of course, there is law against using phones while driving, and law-breakers should be punished. No excuses.
kisholoy mukherjee
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 12:44:29 AM

srirr wrote:

Here, DD and myself mean that the sinners [:) who talk while driving] should not condemn others who confess their fault. If I myself am guilty of doing something wrong, I should not criticize others. Let us look inside ourselves first, honestly.

Oh, to that I agree certainly. But since DD said "So, let only those who are truly innocent condemn me." I thought what if the policemen or the judge or a public prosecutor had also used phone while driving!! Lol.
Luftmarque
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 3:01:27 AM

Neurons: 39,962
kisholoy mukherjee wrote:
But since DD said "So, let only those who are truly innocent condemn me." I thought what if the policemen or the judge or a public prosecutor had also used phone while driving!! Lol.

Unfortunately, policemen and ambulance drivers and truck drivers and taxi drivers (and, apparently, commercial aircraft pilots) are among the worst offenders when it comes to using a phone or computer while driving.
Discombobulated
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 5:01:52 AM

Luftmarque wrote:
But since DD said "So, let only those who are truly innocent condemn me." I thought what if the policemen or the judge or a public prosecutor had also used phone while driving!! Lol.

Unfortunately, policemen and ambulance drivers and truck drivers and taxi drivers (and, apparently, commercial aircraft pilots) are among the worst offenders when it comes to using a phone or computer while driving.

You have reminded me of a time when I was in a taxi and the drivers' phone rang and he answered to tell the person who phoned that he was driving and would phone them back. I was appalled, why even bother answering in the first place!
kisholoy mukherjee
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 5:08:19 AM

Discombobulated wrote:
Luftmarque wrote:

You have reminded me of a time when I was in a taxi and the drivers' phone rang and he answered to tell the person who phoned that he was driving and would phone them back. I was appalled, why even bother answering in the first place!

Lol, yes I have seen others doing it too and I have thought the same thing.
srirr
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 5:30:47 AM

Discombobulated wrote:

Lol, yes I have seen others doing it too and I have thought the same thing.

I think the taxi driver's action was judicious. Its good to inform people that you are busy. Atleast they rest assure that you know that you have been called. And you are all well and will reply after some time.

Imagine you make a call to someone and he/she doesnot pick up the call. You donot know the actual reason and worry 1. whether all is well with that person. 2. whether he is able to receive your call 3. whether he is intentionally avoiding you. 4. whether he has left the phone somewhere. 5. whether there is false ringing heard by you.

kisholoy mukherjee
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 5:44:31 AM

Those are good points too, srirr. They had crossed my mind too. But even a split second can sometimes be enough to cause an accident. Wish there was an easy alternative to it.
Kat
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 7:48:00 AM

Neurons: 3,389
I have never talked on a cellphone while driving.
It is turned off while I'm driving. This doesn't
mean I'm throwing stones or that I'm smarter than
any of you.
I just hate driving with a passion and have to pay
very close attention to it.
I wouldn't condemn anyone for cellphone use while
driving, I would just ask them to please stop for
their own safety and the safety of others.
Vickster
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 8:25:25 AM

Neurons: 7,211
I put this up here not to condemn anyone.. or to see who does or doesn't....I put this up here as a little reminder that before you do pick up your cell phone while driving... think of this child.... He lost all his teeth...has several broken bones in his face and has to have reconstructive surgery done.... He will never be the same because she had to make the almighty call...Was the call that important??? That's what we should ask ourselves when we pick up the phone while driving!!! I will do it.... will you??
RuthP
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 12:24:48 PM

We got a cell phone at my workplace, for use in emergencies, back when they were big bricks. I decided then that I wouldn't use it when driving; we quickly added a policy forbidding use while driving.

Every few weeks, I take "call" for work, meaning I'm available by phone 24 hours a day. I do carry a cell phone; I'd be unable to leave the house, except to travel to work, without it. I still do not answer the phone or make calls while driving. I pull-over, get off the road, park first. I also do this if I need to check directions or look at a map.

In heavy traffic or bad weather, I turn the radio off. I don't change channels or CDs while driving. If I had a GPS, it would reside in the glove compartment and I would stop and pull-off before look at it. (While young enough to still be in a car seat, my child learned to stop talking when I said "traffic is bad" - and now stops without prompting if I start looking tense or quit answering.)
TL Hobs
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 2:33:54 PM

Neurons: 6,101
I like the bumper sticker aimed at cell phone talkers/drivers that says:

Keep Multi-tasking. My Mother Needs A New Kidney

Discombobulated
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 2:46:08 PM

TL Hobs wrote:
I like the bumper sticker aimed at cell phone talkers/drivers that says:

Keep Multi-tasking. My Mother Needs A New Kidney

Applause Oh i let out a wicked little laugh at that!