mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Canada denies visa to Indians on 'ridiculous' grounds.. Options
whizkid08
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2010 3:37:44 AM

Neurons: 39
Okay that has been enough. To all the members who personally feel, WE are here to seek support from the expatriates or to corroborate the action taken by our Govt, please don't make such offensive remarks about any country. I've been following every post in this thread and most of the members have been retrospecting, pointing out the nation's mistakes. A visitor to a country won't have as much experience or complete information as with a permanent resident of a country.

Things are very clear. Canada reserves full right to deny permission for a Visa if a person doesn't qualify for the same. But, it has absolutely NO right to 'blame' or make indecent comments about the prestigious organizations who are combating terrorism.
abcxyz
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2010 5:47:47 AM

Neurons: 3,200
Isaac Samuel, you've touched upon all points except the one we're discussing (or arguing) here. It is an extremely offensive remark that the reason to post this topic is to gather 'support' from non-Indians. There is a thing called 'discussion', but those determined to abuse wouldn't notice that.

You deliberately refuse to take notice of the fact that we do not object to the denial of visas - we object to BSF being termed 'a notoriously violent unit' by Canadian govt. KM and his 'ilk' have been pointing this out for so long, but nobody but WOwara and avatar seem to notice that. Why is that, Mr Samuel?

You're generalising about Indians in your fourth paragraph based on a few sporadic incidents, and it's protests only, not violence. Stick to the truth please. Besides, there is a huge difference between a country's official stand and its mass opinion. Mass population consists of all kinds of people, but officials are educated and experienced.

"It is small thinking to demand apology from another Govt. even after it expressed regret".Another blatant lie Mr Samuel - nobody demanded any apology after Canada expressed regret. Expressing regret is equivalent to an apology, those well-versed in political terms should know that.

What those 'lots of Indian students' do is as much a concern here as what Canadian soldiers do in Afghanistan - how you got Indian students in this discussion is a surprise.

A certain level of civility is expected from someone as senior as yourself. Terming srirr, addngkr and me 'KM's ilk' is not civil, probably in your culture as well, which you should be familiar with in 40 years.

The gist of your post seems to be this: Canadian govt has every right to call BSF a 'notoriously violent unit' which engages in 'systematic torture'. Thank you, Isaac Samuel. You've expressed more articulately than others the general opinion of TFD members who participated in this discussion (at least that's what you claim), with the exception of WOwara and avatar. So now we don't have misunderstanding anymore, we have a clear disagreement.
Have a good life.
kisholoy mukherjee
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2010 6:48:17 AM

Neurons: 7,777
Thanks for the well written posts whizkid08 and abcxyz. It clearly seems like a deliberate attempt to sideline our arguments with lies and intentional digressing, as was done by uncoverer and Isaac.
While the former's lack of civility has been there for everyone to see right from the start, Isaac's fanaticism in matters involving India is also becoming prominent to one and all. He just plugs in his worthless posts aimed at individuals without contributing to the matter at hand. His bias against his former country clearly suggests that he is ashamed of being an Indian.

abcxyz, you are absolutely right when you say:

"The gist of your post seems to be this: Canadian govt has every right to call BSF a 'notoriously violent unit' which engages in 'systematic torture'."

That is exactly what Isaac wants to say.

His posts are perhaps best ignored but one finds it hard to keep his cool in the face of such incessant lying and abuses.

His example of lying? Here it is: "It is small thinking to demand apology from another Govt. even after it expressed regret""

Indeed I had missed that out, abc. What a shame. Just lying blatantly like that. Indian govt. obviously reciprocated nicely and respectfully immediately after Canada's apology.

And just to show that the Indian govt./foreign ministry weren't chewing on grasses when they were asking for the apologies and that they knew what they are doing, here is a list of credentials of two important people in the foreign and economic ministry:

Nirupama Rao, Foreign secretary of India:

She did her BA(English) Honors
Later, she obtained her Masters degree in English Literature

Nirupama Rao had topped the 1973 batch of the Indian Foreign Service.

On completion of her training in India, she served in the Indian Embassy in Vienna (Austria) in the mid seventies. She did a stint as First Secretary in the Indian High Commission in Sri Lanka from 1981-83

Rao was a fellow at the Weatherhead Center for International Affairs at Harvard University in 1992-93 where she specialized on Asia-Pacific Security.

She served in the Indian Embassies in Washington and Moscow as Minister and Deputy Chief of Mission, respectively

She has written a book of poetry, named Rain Rising. Her poems have been translated into Chinese and Russian.

Duvvuri Subbarao, IAS, twenty-second Governor of Reserve Bank of India (RBI), due to visit Toronto next month in G20 summit with PM Manmohan

He graduated in Physics[B.Sc Hons.] from Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur (class of 1969) where he was the recipient of Director's Gold Medal.

He received a [M.Sc] degree also in Physics from[3] Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur.

Subbarao topped the IAS examination in 1972 and was assigned the Andhra Pradesh cadre.

He later did a Masters degree (MS) in economics from Ohio State University, United States and was a Humphrey Fellow at Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

He later received a Ph.D. in Economics from Andhra University

Subbarao worked as the joint secretary in the Department of Economic Affairs, Ministry of Finance, Government of India between 1988 and 1993

Subsequently he became the Finance Secretary to the Government of Andhra Pradesh

On completion of his term, he was deputed as lead economist in the World Bank from 1994 to 2004

Subbarao is credited for fiscal reforms at state levels and also a study on decentralisation in countries of East Asia

Now these are the people who took up this cause, MR. Isaac. It was not my cause. It was the nation's cause. Your pig-headedness obviously causes hindrance in understanding such simple things. Or maybe you are deliberately misunderstanding. Whatever, the credentials are there for you. Those are the people from India who, you just abused.
addngkr
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2010 10:25:50 AM

Neurons: 512
Jeech:
My opinion: The members of Visha Hindu Preshad, the Hindu terrorist organization, thats charged for massacares of Muslims and Christians in Maharashter and Gothera are still allowed to visit Canada. Strange enough, isn't it?

Vishwa Hindu Parishad a terrorist organization?!!

Bwahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....

You are simply unbelievable, Jeech.

Then I believe Al qaeda, Taliban, LeT...(tends to infinity).... that are born and nurtured in pakistan are UN's peace keeping wings right?!!!

abcxyz
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2010 10:31:25 AM

Vishwa Hindu Parishad may not be a terrorist organisation, but it's not a very reputed one either. What Jeech is saying is true. However, Jeech's comment is completely out of context here.
peterhewett
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2010 11:05:46 AM

Neurons: 3,698
I have really finished here in this post except to ask and say two things.

1) Have the men who were refused entry now been allowed in or does the ban stay in force. Don't guess

2) Whatever you may think of a particualr body of soldiers none of you know anything but what you read in the Indian press. You may think they are cleaner than clean, and they may be, but they also may not be. No Governmnet tells its people the whole truth. It does not do to proclaim innocence based on what your government says or declares. They are not going to tell you about covert operations, but covert operations your government certainly carries out. As does the American/British/Coviet/Chinese etc.

Any sensible non-bias person would acknowledge their limits. All Indians on this forum should do so and leave it there, becuase no amount of indignation means you are fully informed.

addngkr should grow up
kisholoy mukherjee
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2010 11:17:25 AM

peterhewett wrote:
I have really finished here in this post except to ask and say two things.

1) Have the men who were refused entry now been allowed in or does the ban stay in force. Don't guess

2) Whatever you may think of a particualr body of soldiers none of you know anything but what you read in the Indian press. You may think they are cleaner than clean, and they may be, but they also may not be. No Governmnet tells its people the whole truth. It does not do to proclaim innocence based on what your government says or declares. They are not going to tell you about covert operations, but covert operations your government certainly carries out. As does the American/British/Coviet/Chinese etc.

Any sensible non-bias person would acknowledge their limits. All Indians on this forum should do so and leave it there, becuase no amount of indignation means you are fully informed.

addngkr should grow up

Surely the likes of you would have come brandishing the banner of innocence if it was the British army or the US army that were tagged in this manner.
The comments were ridiculous. Just the mentioning of Bush's wrongly timed and pathetically executed Iraq war sends the senses of most of you here spiraling down in a tizzy.
It was a national insult, which sought to put a spot on the reputation of these institutions, BSF and IB.
I say again, if Canada were right in making these allegations, why didn't they defend it with sufficient proof?
And please give a more plausible explanation than the one that they apologized to avoid diplomatic row. It was most undiplomatic of them in the first place to make such unparliamentary comments.

I agree that some of the actions of these organizations may well be questionable. But that is the case with all other ones of the same genre, including Canada's own. No country should be allowed to get away with such baseless and insulting remarks.
peterhewett
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2010 12:06:32 PM

KM asserted

Surely the likes of you would have come brandishing the banner of innocence if it was the British army or the US army that were tagged in this manner.

peter honestly replies.

No KM I most certainly would not have. I am under no illusions as to the nature of government agencies... whatever country. I am not so trusting and you should not be. You are allowing your nationalism to get in the way of good sense. I did not agree with my Government invading Iraq and I do not agree with your dominating most of Kashmir and committing documented atrocities there.

You are ranting like a little Indianer. Look at things from a more International aspect and also bear in mind the duplicity of ALL governements mine and yours included.

You say: 'No country should be allowed to get away with such baseless and insulting remarks'

I reply. Over the years Pakistan has been offended by Indian remarks and vise versa. India is not free of throwing insults and from the look of posts here it seems to be a national trait. You are far to sensitive and you should stop banging the nationalist drum and become more mature.
kisholoy mukherjee
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2010 2:14:03 PM

peterhewett wrote:
KM asserted

peter honestly replies.

No KM I most certainly would not have. I am under no illusions as to the nature of government agencies... whatever country. I am not so trusting and you should not be. You are allowing your nationalism to get in the way of good sense. I did not agree with my Government invading Iraq and I do not agree with your dominating most of Kashmir and committing documented atrocities there.

You are ranting like a little Indianer. Look at things from a more International aspect and also bear in mind the duplicity of ALL governements mine and yours included.

You say: 'No country should be allowed to get away with such baseless and insulting remarks'

I reply. Over the years Pakistan has been offended by Indian remarks and vise versa. India is not free of throwing insults and from the look of posts here it seems to be a national trait. You are far to sensitive and you should stop banging the nationalist drum and become more mature.

I am not going to be drawn into yet another altercation with you on things about which I do not think you have any, let alone sufficient, knowledge. But I will just make some statements as they are facts:

1. 'your dominating most of Kashmir and committing documented atrocities there' - this is as ridiculous and naive a take on the issue as it can be. Clearly an over-simplified and blindfolded attempt to hit the target. We are not DOMINATING any part of Kashmir as such. We are LEGALLY the owners of the part of Kashmir that is currently under our jurisdiction. It is Pakistan using their soldiers and Jihadis which violates the border treaties. They have broken numerous such treaties. Don't make such uneducated remarks. The world works on the principle of political divisions. All the onus seems to be, oddly, on India suddenly. Personally I think Kashmir should be divided between India and Pakistan, or rather importantly, the borders should be relaxed. Just for the common people's sake. But there are numerous terror camps right across the border on the Pak side who will start pouring in if borders are opened. They already sneak into India in sizeable numbers and carry out terror attacks in India, besides smuggling weapons, drugs etc.

2. India does not sponsor any killings. As in ANY War, think Vietnam war, in Kashmir also, some collateral damage takes place. Which is really a decent way of putting soldiers' beastly mentalities but India is no exception to that. They (soldiers, not govt.) have raped women in the North East. But the Indian govt. DID not sponsor them (ta da....surprise??) . And India has never ever breached the border. There is no evidence of that ever. They garrison our BSF right there ON the border. Oh, please, you don't have any knowledge do you?d'oh! It is the Pakistani govt. funded (proven MULTIPLE times, a fact acknowledged by the US govt. and perhaps even your govt. and practically known to everyone BUT you) terrorists and jihadis who MASSACRE people in Kashmir. Some of them are attributed to Indian soldiers to malign them. The MEDIA is always out to attack the govts. So, surely they would catch up on any such malpractices had there been any. They do come up with whatever that happens, but it doesn't include what you are so vehemently trying to establish.

"Over the years Pakistan has been offended by Indian remarks and vise versa. India is not free of throwing insults and from the look of posts here it seems to be a national trait."

As if the first line wasn't laughably outrageous enough! What an unbelievably audacious narrow minded take on AN entire country. Come on now Peter, come up with some evidence to back up your pompous stand you make. India insulting?? The Pakistani ministers over the years deserved nothing better than tight slaps on their faces for their sheer capacity of lying on the face, including the present ones!! Yet, India has been unduly kind on Pakistan and has been stupendously diplomatic. Even other nations agree but Secret Service agent Mr. Peter Bond here seems to have unknown info on the matter!! Will you share it with me in private at least!! Shhh And who can forget Pakistan's foreign minister making that dirty speech, threatening India of more 26/11's in front of a radical and extremist group of youths, right in the heart of Pakistan. Rallies of JuD, hafiz Saaed making speeches, JuD being judged not a terrorist org. despite it being banned by the UN, oh. the list is endless??

And based on a discussion on a public forum, if one can frame an opinion on a whole nation, then it is there for all to see who is relying on loose information. "A national trait" - gosh Peter, you can do better than that!!

What India objects to about Pakistan, so does the US govt. And two countries (and others also) share the same evidences and have verified through cross examinations. And yet you feel you know more.

WELL, so be it. Hats off to you. Everybody is wrong, Peter babu, you ARE RIGHT. Happy??

[image not available]
Tovarish
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2010 10:41:06 PM

Neurons: 39,933
And you wonder why there are still wars??????

I submitted a posting some pages back, as an example to all (no sides taken with the current topic)as to how actions can happen, within Embassies of supposedly friendly nations.

I then posted a Yoo Hoo, and not one person drew breath long enough to ask the details.
kisholoy mukherjee
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2010 11:02:43 PM

Tovarish wrote:
And you wonder why there are still wars??????

I submitted a posting some pages back, as an example to all (no sides taken with the current topic)as to how actions can happen, within Embassies of supposedly friendly nations.

I then posted a Yoo Hoo, and not one person drew breath long enough to ask the details.

That's because us Indians here were having such a hard time just explaining what we were opposed to. Not denial of the visas, they still can if they want to.
But not on ridiculous grounds.

It doesn't matter if it has happened somewhere else also, it is their business really.
If India does a thing like Canada, then also it would be worth protesting and had Canada done the same thing as India did in retaliation (only ask for an apology in a most decent fashion, I gave the video of foreign minister KRISHNA making that official statement), then there would have been nothing wrong with that.

Canada has even admitted in that apology that India's institutions BSF and IB do not engage in human rights violations,
as far as they know. That is all that matters.

They are reviewing their own immigration policies and from now on they can deny all Indians, I wouldn't mind. Even if they want to deny visas to all ex-security men from India, they can by saying they are simply paranoid/afraid or even they simply don't trust these orgs. But what info could possibly Canada have against India's govt. orgs. when they clearly said that the officers who turned down the visas drew their info from 'open sources'? HUH!!

They can say that they do not have enough information but they are afraid to let security men from India into their country. Without assuming that assertive tone which they had done while maligning the Indian orgs. without sufficient evidence.

peterhewett
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2010 11:31:14 PM

KM your reasoning is facile and you are in danger of going right over the top. Stop banging the nationalistc drum...it is so vulgar.

It is attitudes like yours that foment wars. You were not offended, you are offended on others behalf, and you do NOT know what your government gets up to. Know one knows what their government gets up to.

NB. Give the people of Kashmir thier freedom and stop your soldiers from committing atrocities there. Get upset about real issues, not paper ones.
Tovarish
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2010 11:37:27 PM

KM, I don't doubt there has been incompetence done by Canadian Immigration, for they have admitted as much.
Or do you see something more sinister behind the action?

It is the volatility I question within this topic.

The charge against Israel by Australia is, I think we will all agree, is far more serious, to have a Diplomat expelled. As embassy staffers are immune from prosecutions, criminal charges cant be laid.
kisholoy mukherjee
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 12:33:02 AM

Peter, just refer to my last post above. You are just digressing as usual. Tovarish, you also refer to my last post. There is nothing 'volatile' about this topic.

And Peter, about matters involving India, of course you know more. You also know that majority Kashmiris want to break free from India and you also know that the Indian army is always killing innocent people in Kashmir. Wow, I wonder why people watch news. I will refer them to you from now on.Speak to the hand
Auf Wehdersehen to this topic.

EDIT:: Tovarish, I don't think anyone should be immune from prosecution. That is crazy!
Tovarish
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 7:47:57 AM

KM, I did not refer to your last post, I was referring to all the post on this topic, without exception.
The question I asked of you, was do you see some other explanation, other than incompetence by the Canadian Immigration Department?

Diplomatic Immunity, maybe crazy but it is lawful.
kisholoy mukherjee
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 7:58:52 AM

Tovarish wrote:

The question I asked of you, was do you see some other explanation, other than incompetence by the Canadian Immigration Department?

I don't know. It could be incompetence, it could be deliberate also. But that doesn't matter as long as they are not making any baseless and insulting allegations.

"Diplomatic Immunity, maybe crazy but it is lawful"

But what if the diplomats themselves are breaking the law? Then what happens?
Tovarish
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 8:07:56 AM

Of course, maybe bluster to cover up an error of judgement.

Identity Fraud is hard to cover up too.
kisholoy mukherjee
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 8:09:04 AM

Tovarish wrote:

Identity Fraud is hard to cover up too.

And you are referring to...?
Tovarish
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 8:20:39 AM

'Some one' in the Israeli Embassy in Australian stole the identity of a couple of Aussies and made counterfeit Passports.
People using these 'Australian Passports', killed an Hamas man in the Middle East.

Hence the Diplomat was expelled.
Isaac Samuel
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 1:30:08 PM

Neurons: 1,222
Tovarish:

I heard on the news,few weeks ago, that there was a premeditated murder that took place in a hotel in Dubai/Abu Dhabi and the perpetrators used both British and Australian passports to hide their real identity.I didn't keep up with rest of this news.Thanks for filling in the recent development on this case.
Tovarish
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 9:26:30 PM

Isaac, it was pretty dark for the Aussies at home here, whose identity were counterfieted, until the truth was found out.
This is what I have ben trying to explain to KM, you never really know what is happening in Embassies around the world.
The very most they get as punishment is slap on the wrist and sent home like naughty boys and girls.
kisholoy mukherjee
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 9:41:55 PM

Tovarish wrote:
Isaac, it was pretty dark for the Aussies at home here, whose identity were counterfieted, until the truth was found out.
This is what I have ben trying to explain to KM, you never really know what is happening in Embassies around the world.
The very most they get as punishment is slap on the wrist and sent home like naughty boys and girls.

And I have been trying to explain it doesn't matter what happens anywhere. What happened in THIS case is that our military and IB were called names. That is what we as a nation objected to and rightly so. Case closed.Speak to the hand
peterhewett
Posted: Tuesday, June 1, 2010 1:56:02 AM

KM said

What happened in THIS case is that our military and IB were called names. That is what we as a nation objected to and rightly so. Case closed.

Peter siad

For goodness sake grow up will you. Called names... so what? 'Sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me" So your squeaky clean military and Ib were insulted ...so what? Do you mean to say that Indians never insult? Looking at the spats you have had it seems you and others are quite good at it.

You are a rank nationalist. You are precisely the sort of person who rushes to war over perceived offences that amount to nothing.

I ask again have those refused Visa's been granted them now?

Case closed? Then shut up.

This is a storm in a teacup... a making of a mountain from a molehill. It is all so childish and petty.
addngkr
Posted: Tuesday, June 1, 2010 3:40:19 AM

Neurons: 512
Kisholoy, I think you really need to quit from this thread. There are times when you can't reason with some people at all. And if you do so, you only garner accusations.

Let this be the last post here from me and you, Kisholoy.

To those who have been hurling accusations here -

THIS IS NOT OUR BATTLE AGAINST YOU.
SO STOP IT!!!

PS: Neither am I getting hot under my collar nor boiling my blood over anything. PEACE!!
peterhewett
Posted: Tuesday, June 1, 2010 3:58:32 AM

We have been trying to stop the jingoism over a few perceived insults... that is all. It does not work when you just say stop it. Rank patriotisma and strident nationalism are very vulgar.

But you are right in one thing the tread has run its course.
srirr
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2010 12:34:11 AM

Neurons: 484,288
peterhewett wrote:

Did you... no you were acting as an offended Indian driven by nationaal pride in my view and that is not pleasant. Still we don't know the real reasons. I have seen nothing from the Canadians.

So will these people be let in now or are the Visa's still refused?

For your information. You were seriously concerned about the final decision.

Canada issues visa to former IB officer

The Canadian high commission has finally issued visa to a former Intelligence Bureau officer after its denial to grant him the travel document evoked an outrage in India.
Former IB deputy director S S Sidhu, whose visa application was turned down by the high commission on March 26, has now got a multiple visa for three days to visit the country.
“I was refused visa on March 26 this year and was totally demoralised because I wanted to meet my son and see his new house in Toronto...then I again pursued my case with Canadian high commission and this time they have issued visa in three days. It is multiple visa for three days,” Sidhu said.
The officer was earlier denied visa by the high commission on the ground that he had served in an organisation like IB and that led to apprehension that he could “engage in an act of espionage or subversion”, or “violence that would or might endanger the lives or safety of persons in Canada.”
The incident prompted the home ministry to strongly oppose the act of Canadian authorities. “The allegations which they levelled on my organisation ... that my organisation... IB it is engaging in terrorism, espionage, subversion, sabotage. These are all false allegations,” Sidhu said.

<Quote from Times of India, the largest English national newspaper in India. Its not a local news paper. >
Tovarish
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2010 12:56:34 AM

Another Embassy with egg on their face. Glad it has been sorted out.

We had a man, from the German Embassy, in a fatal car accident.
He was clearly in the wrong, and drinking too.

Could not be charged with the death, as he had Diplomatic Immunity, and was sent home.

The punishment just doesn't fit the crime, does it!

srirr
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2010 1:32:00 AM

Right Tovarish. The diplomatic immunity is sometimes misused. It is really sad. The international laws should have some punishments in such cases.

Tovarish
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2010 1:41:06 AM

I can understand the Sovereignty of the Embassy grounds, but find it hard to come to terms with crimes or infringements out side that area, within the Host Country.

To flaunt some thing as simple as a parking ticket, right up to and including the issues we have been discussing, just doesn't seem rational.
abcxyz
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2010 4:21:54 AM

Diplomatic immunity is needed for rogue countries. A country might try to implicate an innocent ambassador, and once they have him/her in their custody, they can interrogate him/her as much as they like for secret information. Diplomatic immunity protects the ambassador. Sadly, some take advantage of it.
peterhewett
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2010 6:27:39 AM

At last it is over! All this energy on such a trifling subject post when there is so many desperately more important things needing attention in India.

I recently alighted at Mumbai Airport and there... still... are the shanty’s as you look out of the airport windows. It is the first thing you set eyes on and epitomises India. We have had all this fuss over a couple or so of individuals, and a so-called slight. If only such energy could be directed to care for the millions and hundreds of millions poor in India.
srirr
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2010 6:48:56 AM

Yes, it is good that it is over. Otherwise some stupid remarks on a relevant and significant topic were really making the thread trifling and tiring.

Ellenrita
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2010 1:03:41 PM

Neurons: 3,889
Goodbye billion dollar G20 - good riddance!
maximus
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 6:42:00 PM

Neurons: 177
Ellenrita wrote:

Sorry I could not get you?
srirr
Posted: Thursday, July 1, 2010 1:14:10 AM

maximus wrote:
Ellenrita wrote:

Sorry I could not get you?

No wonder you cant get her. She got riddance.