mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Is multiple posting a ploy to dominate a discussion? Options
uncoverer
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 12:58:16 AM

Recently i have seen one or two members posting multiple tomes one below the other in a discussion.
While initially it could have been passed off as an exception,I find that they do it in every other topic.
The result is that when viewing a thread,all other posts usually gets squeezed in between their own posts professing their own views.
While I appreciate the liberty members have of posting as many number of times as they want breaking up a post and putting it into 3 or more successive posts is not what I would call cricket
Because of this,many members who were initially participating in the discussion tends to restrain themselves from posting in the forum and in the end the discussion becomes more like a monologue.
Is there anyway to remedy this?
Should we introduce a concept called "screen space" here in tfd and make sure that a particular member does not take up too much of it.
Luftmarque
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 1:06:09 AM

Neurons: 39,962
I think sometimes it happens by mistake, which you can correct by deleting unless you're in a daemon-initiated post. Sometimes I respond to one post higher up, then see another one I want to respond to lower down and end up with two of mine together—usually neither of my posts will be very long though (these days I value short posts, both the ones I read and the ones I create). I'm not aware of the practice scaring anybody away from participating in a topic, is that really a concern?
uncoverer
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 1:17:36 AM

By mistake,I understand and have nothing against that.Or if it is a time delayed response then also I think I don't mind.But posting 3 or more successive posts does look like to me a subterfuge to dominate the discussion.
I have seen a few members do it.
Let's hope it will not spread and brevity preserved in tfd.
Maggie
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 4:28:31 PM

Neurons: 2,128
Some people love to see their names in print. I think there are a few who are gunning to be the total points leader on TFD. LOL

So what do you win? A free verb? No, a noun. Or is it an adverb? Maybe a hyphen. I think I'd want a hyphen.

Angel
kisholoy mukherjee
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 8:08:09 PM

Neurons: 7,777
Some people who have no knowledge of the topic at hand post multiple times, pointing out useless things (like matters of decorum, duh!) to others who have posted with a good understanding of the subject. Obviously, the former are people who have nothing better to write about. But yes, that is like '30 seconds to fame' for them.Dancing
AJC
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 11:30:41 AM

Neurons: 2,436
I think of this like a round table. Outside of the occasional and accidental double posting,I've seen others do what I too have done. That is, someone makes a statement. Then someone else responds. Then the first poster responds to that and maybe a couple of others. I have never(ok, since Wercozy)thought anyone was intentionally hijacking the discussion. Obviously, some people are more verbose than others. Such is life.
Isaac Samuel
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 12:08:29 PM

Neurons: 1,222
I abhor multiple posts ,particularly when it is double backed and piggy backed.
I also would like limits on number of words or sentences per post like most
other respectable forums: Yahoo and NPR etc.
Luftmarque
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 12:37:02 PM

I would hate to see the imposition of any rules about double-posts, lengthy posts, font size etc. We already have the ability to just roll past things we don't want to read, and I think most readers can adjust the size of the fonts on posts they're reading, so no reason exists to muck things up with extra rules. IMO.
AJC
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 1:31:05 PM

Neurons: 2,436
Isaac Samuel wrote:
I abhor multiple posts ,particularly when it is double backed and piggy backed.
I also would like limits on number of words or sentences per post like most
other respectable forums: Yahoo and NPR etc.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm Sounds too much like censorship to me.I like the Free format. Like Marq says,just roll on past or glance over and get the gist of the post.
Besides, why would anyone sign up for something then go about trying to make significant changes that make it like others that are already available? [/color]
marylamb
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 1:45:21 PM

Neurons: 1,017
I don't understand the complaint of the OP.
Vickster
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 1:46:51 PM

Neurons: 7,211
I like TFD because everyone speaks freely... sometimes it gets heated and out of control.. but usually it's peoples opinions and feelings on a certain subject. I like it because it opens my mind to others thoughts and feelings... and I learn a lot. Please don't hamper it by making rules, detering people from posting. It's not hurting anyone but numerous posts. Scroll through the posts you'd rather not read...I don't think anyone is trying to control or dominate a post...they just get very involved with the subject matter...
marylamb
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 2:12:39 PM

Good point Vickster. I do just what you describe, "Scroll through the posts you'd rather not read." Exactly! Do any of us really have the time to read every post belonging to 10,000 members? Of course not! I have my favorites (you all know who you are)that I enjoy having a discussion with.

I like new, hip, fresh content. All the old stuff that doesn't work any more gets buried and forgotten.
kisholoy mukherjee
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 2:17:55 PM

What about posting exactly the same thing in several threads? How's that for spamming and dominating the entire FORUM?
marylamb
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 2:23:00 PM

Kisholoy, can you give us an example? Copy and paste the thread here?
HWNN1961
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 2:53:50 PM

Neurons: 9,763
I approach it this way:

Normally, one post is sufficient, but, I do go back and re-read later posts, and if someone has responded to something I've said, then I may respond to their comments.
Isaac Samuel
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 3:01:36 PM

Neurons: 1,222
Thanks Mark,
Just discovered the zoom feature.This should tell you how savvy I am with computers,sorry.
kisholoy mukherjee
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 4:48:20 PM

marylamb wrote:
Kisholoy, can you give us an example? Copy and paste the thread here?

It was done by the poster of this topic only. He is just an obnoxious and desperate individual who has been following me around all this while to settle old scores, which most have seen in this forum. But now the matter has been taken up by the admins.
TFD will be a forum for discussions again and not personal harassment like what he was doing, besides faking his identity of course. It will be a much better place without him.
His posts, which were spamming in 4 threads, are now gone I can see.
I hope he has learned a lesson from this and he will stay off this forum for good, if he has even an ounce of shame left in him. But I have a feeling he doesn't.
marylamb
Posted: Saturday, May 29, 2010 12:41:58 AM

Holy cow kish, the OP lost 200 points since noon today. When ignoring doesn't work it's always best to notify the admins. Every one here should feel welcome, and no meanness should be allowed.

Tovarish
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2010 8:33:25 AM

Neurons: 39,933
OK KM, I have finally got it, took me a while to put all the peices together.
kisholoy mukherjee
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 11:32:49 PM

Tovarish wrote:
OK KM, I have finally got it, took me a while to put all the peices together.

Which pieces?
Avonlea
Posted: Tuesday, June 1, 2010 10:05:55 AM

When I start a new topic I like to keep a watch on it and if another member or members try to hijack it I have the chance to put it back on track. I did this with "Astrology Signs" was this wrong of me? Should I just start the topic and then go away and forget about it?
RARA
Posted: Friday, June 4, 2010 11:31:34 AM

Neurons: 2,097
Eek! Looking back I think I am a culprit!

Not intentionally though, I post somehting, then have a think, no one else has posted and I post again my new thoughts.

I will watch myself and edit the one posting rather than add a new one.

I do not think it is my job to monitor and "put back on track" a topic I have started. Once it is out there I am happy for it to roam free.
Luftmarque
Posted: Friday, June 4, 2010 8:32:34 PM

Avonlea wrote:
When I start a new topic I like to keep a watch on it and if another member or members try to hijack it I have the chance to put it back on track. I did this with "Astrology Signs" was this wrong of me? Should I just start the topic and then go away and forget about it?

Oh I think that's your choice: whether to shepard a topic you started or just to let it run free and see where it goes.
maximus
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 6:35:04 PM

Neurons: 177
I don't know.It seems the point system rewards you for multiple postings.So i guess it is all right.
Kat
Posted: Monday, July 5, 2010 9:28:05 AM

Neurons: 3,389
kisholoy mukherjee wrote:
Some people who have no knowledge of the topic at hand post multiple times, pointing out useless things (like matters of decorum, duh!) to others who have posted with a good understanding of the subject. Obviously, the former are people who have nothing better to write about. But yes, that is like '30 seconds to fame' for them.Dancing

There are many threads here that I have a valid and or an
informed opinion about but I think matters of decorum are
what keep many of us coming back to this forum. I do not
want to read a post laced with profanity and as in the thread
about arranged marriages, I have just commented about one poster's
use of "text" speak.
This is an English language forum not a
"come as you are gangsta rap gang bang".

kisholoy mukherjee
Posted: Monday, July 5, 2010 10:56:37 AM

By matters of decorum in my post, I had only referred to the comments by one poster who in every thread where I posted used to mention that multiple posting is against decorum and ended up threadjacking himself. That is all I had tried to say. It was not an 'in general' comment of course. If one wants to post several times on the topic in a thread, there is nothing really wrong with it is there?
But of course I agree with you completely that the language used should be free from profanity and I also pointed that out myself in the 'arranged marriages' thread.
Kat
Posted: Monday, July 5, 2010 12:20:34 PM

Neurons: 3,389
kisholoy mukherjee wrote:
By matters of decorum in my post, I had only referred to the comments by one poster who in every thread where I posted used to mention that multiple posting is against decorum and ended up threadjacking himself. That is all I had tried to say. It was not an 'in general' comment of course. If one wants to post several times on the topic in a thread, there is nothing really wrong with it is there?
But of course I agree with you completely that the language used should be free from profanity and I also pointed that out myself in the 'arranged marriages' thread.

Oh, ok, my mistake. Thank you.