mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Good news from Baghdad Options
TheParser
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2015 9:41:23 AM

Neurons: 22,062
If you are a member or guest who is looking for some uplifting news about the Middle East, I am delighted to share a few items from an article entitled "ISIS and the Shia Revival in Iraq" by Nicolas Pelham in the June 4, 2015, issue of The New York Review of Books.

1. Regarding the new prime minister Al-Abadi: "His popularity ratings have climbed steadily, especially among Sunnis."

2. "[M]any Iraqis welcome al-Abdadi's lighter touch [as compared with al-Maliki's 'increasingly dictatorial methods']."

3. "[H]e lifted the capital's midnight curfew."

4. "He opened an underpass through the Green Zone, the Forbidden City that America carved out of the center of the capital, which has snarled Baghdad for over a decade."

5. "He has freed the state television channel from the obsequious managers who tried to please al-Malaki with Saddam-style paeans."

6. "Inside the capital a rare normalcy is taking place."

7. "Baghdad and the southern part of Iraq seem less of a failed state than normally depicted."

8. "Iraqis talk about ISIS in the past tense, as if its defeat was a foregone conclusion."

9. "Cafes spill onto sidewalks."

10. "Hip eateries have opened."

11. "[T]he bars ... are jammed."

12. "There is higher-brow entertainment too." [E.g., book markets, lectures, museums.]

13. "[T]hree engineering professors spoke of the golden age that awaits a united Iraq, or at least its Arab provinces, once the militias defeat ISIS." [my emphasis]
towan52
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2015 10:28:31 AM

Neurons: 228,383
And ISIS just overran Ramadi! That must be a "forewent" conclusion!
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2015 10:48:24 AM

Neurons: 599,149
June 4, 2015, issue?
Khalid Sami
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2015 10:49:21 AM

Neurons: 10,602
I think most Iraqis don’t trust the US regime.at all.
Good news from Irak should be: cutting any relation with the US criminal regime, defeating its proxies( Alkaida and ISIS) that are creating the mess in the Middle east.
I think the US regime is trying again to present himself as a savior. But he is really the champion in killing and terror.
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2015 11:28:05 AM

Neurons: 637,111
Khalid Sami wrote:
I think most Iraqis don’t trust the US regime.at all.
Good news from Irak should be: cutting any relation with the US criminal regime, defeating its proxies( Alkaida and ISIS) that are creating the mess in the Middle east.
I think the US regime is trying again to present himself as a savior. But he is really the champion in killing and terror.

Don't forget that this all started with Iraq's illegal and brutal invasion of Kuwait. The U.S. were invited into the area by the Saudis. It was plain for even an idiot to see that Iraq did not stand a chance of resisting the U.S. military, yet they sent thousands of young men to die needlessly. Even when they had to flee the power of the U.S. the Arabs did not have the good sense of the good grace to surrender. They ran from Kuwait in a declared tactical retreat, again sending thousands of young men to die for no reason. All of these blunders were caused by Pride, one of the deadly sins, still the root of the patent lying and bluster that is the cause of so much misery in Iraq and Syria. We in the West are sorry for your suffering and wish that a way could be found to bring it all to an end.
tunaafi
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2015 12:29:23 PM

Neurons: 53,503
Don't forget that this all started with Iraq's illegal and brutal invasion of Kuwait.[/quote]

Hmmm. So did the completely unjustified American invasion, with British support, of Iraq in 2003, and the chaos left by the American-imposed administration after that war have nothing to do with it?

Did the constant attempts by the European powers from the early part of the 19th century, and, much later, by the United States, to control the Middle East, have nothing to do with the mistrust many Muslims feel for the West?

Did the years of support from the US (Iraq under Saddam Hussein was at one time the third largest recipient of US Aid in the world)have nothing to do with Saddam's long hold on power?

Saddam was a nasty piece of work, and his attack on the Kuwait was as unjustified as many wars have been, but to blame Saddam or Iraq for the present situation in the Middle East is a little unreasonable.

elemace
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 7:18:46 AM

Neurons: 1,658,161
West never learns, East always suffers, one way or the other.
TheParser
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 7:55:21 AM

Neurons: 22,062
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
June 4, 2015, issue?

Yes.

The print issue.

By the way, there's a great review in that issue of Sofi Oksanen's latest novel When the Doves Disappeared.

The name of the article is "Why the Finns were Lucky!" by Masha Gessen.
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 12:41:14 PM

tunaafi wrote:
Don't forget that this all started with Iraq's illegal and brutal invasion of Kuwait.

Hmmm. So did the completely unjustified American invasion, with British support, of Iraq in 2003, and the chaos left by the American-imposed administration after that war have nothing to do with it?

Did the constant attempts by the European powers from the early part of the 19th century, and, much later, by the United States, to control the Middle East, have nothing to do with the mistrust many Muslims feel for the West?

Did the years of support from the US (Iraq under Saddam Hussein was at one time the third largest recipient of US Aid in the world)have nothing to do with Saddam's long hold on power?

Saddam was a nasty piece of work, and his attack on the Kuwait was as unjustified as many wars have been, but to blame Saddam or Iraq for the present situation in the Middle East is a little unreasonable.

[/quote]

Yet if Iraq had not invaded Kuwait and threatened Saudi Arabia the U.S. would not have been involved in the first place. Yes, the U.S.-led occupation of Iraq was a disaster for all concerned, but not as big a disaster as would have resulted if Saddam had not been stopped, for his ultimate goal was war on Israel and if that had been allowed to happen, WW3, or something like it, would have followed. Iraq after Saddam Hussein was, for a time, the largest recipient of U.S Aid and Americans are still paying for it.
tunaafi
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 1:12:46 PM

jacobusmaximus wrote:
Yet if Iraq had not invaded Kuwait and threatened Saudi Arabia the U.S. would not have been involved in the first place.

And if the US had not backed Saddam in the Iran/Iraq war, he might not have been around to invade Kuwait. There is little point in trying to blame one country or individual for the current situation
linodor
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 3:33:30 PM

Neurons: 1,432,678
If... if... if...
There's a lot of "ifs" among which everyone can choose
Hope123
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 6:06:39 PM

Neurons: 55,571
tunaafi wrote:
There is little point in trying to blame one country or individual for the current situation

Exactly. Everybody or every country is always a victim. No one or one country wants to take responsibility for their part in any mess.
tunaafi
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2015 12:01:51 AM

Hope123 wrote:
Exactly. Everybody or every country is always a victim. No one or one country wants to take responsibility for their part in any mess.

That is not exactly what I meant. I was simply suggesting that to say that the current situation all began when A did B is much too simplistic. The Iraqi invasion of Kuwait was an unjustified act of aggression in my opinion, but it was far from the sole cause of the present situation in Iraq.
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2015 7:42:45 AM

tunaafi wrote:
jacobusmaximus wrote:
Yet if Iraq had not invaded Kuwait and threatened Saudi Arabia the U.S. would not have been involved in the first place.

And if the US had not backed Saddam in the Iran/Iraq war, he might not have been around to invade Kuwait. There is little point in trying to blame one country or individual for the current situation

So are we agreed then that the current mess is not just down to the U.S. or Bush?
Romany
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2015 2:51:38 PM

Neurons: 58,236

I couldn't see how anyone would be simplistic enough to pin it all on Obama, Bush or Abraham Lincoln.

The area now known broadly as the Middle East is comprised of different countries and communities that have been interacting for centuries. Anyone who wants to go back to the seminal event; the actual point which precipitated all the current conflicts in this region would get so bogged down in the history of alliances and tribal influences and dirty dealings and migrations, of Royal Families and changing borders ...that it would still take them years to try to put it into context.
Khalid Sami
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2015 4:40:23 PM

jacobusmaximus wrote:

All of these blunders were caused by Pride, one of the deadly sins,

I don't understand, how pride could be a deadly sin?
Khalid Sami
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2015 6:21:46 PM

And, The U.S regime. was invited into the area by the Saudis? I can't digest this!!!
BTW, you can find crimes of the US regime in every place in the Middle east not only in Irak. One of them is Palestine, they consider them are allowed to be killed and expelled. They toil to hide the israeli crimes. They don't recognize their right to return to their homeland. They ask theim to surrender to their criminal reality.
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2015 2:41:58 AM

Khalid Sami wrote:
jacobusmaximus wrote:

All of these blunders were caused by Pride, one of the deadly sins,

I don't understand, how pride could be a deadly sin?

In this context pride is the opposite of humility - (see the Fourth Hadith and Isaiah 14: 12-14).
Unchecked, pride can lead a person into all other evils including setting oneself up above God. Satan was cast out of heaven for that. Pride is deadly.
tunaafi
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2015 3:17:08 AM

jacobusmaximus wrote:
Unchecked, pride can lead a person into all other evils including setting oneself up above God.

That's a problem only if you believe in God.
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2015 1:05:13 PM

Khalid Sami wrote:
And, The U.S regime. was invited into the area by the Saudis? I can't digest this!!!

[color=blue]Well what do you think, Khald? Do you imagine that he U.S. invaded Saudi Arab's? Donny you know that the Saudis paid the U.S. 38 billion dollars for smashing the Iraqis? That's right - Arabs paid America to kill Arabs. I'm sorry to put it so crudely, but I reatlly feel that it is time for a home truth or two.[/color]

BTW, you can find crimes of the US regime in every place in the Middle east not only in Irak. One of them is Palestine, they consider them are allowed to be killed and expelled. They toil to hide the israeli crimes. They don't recognize their right to return to their homeland. They ask theim to surrender to their criminal reality.
Khalid Sami
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2015 1:45:11 PM

jacobusmaximus wrote:

Well what do you think, Khald? Do you imagine that he U.S. invaded Saudi Arab's? Donny you know that the Saudis paid the U.S. 38 billion dollars for smashing the Iraqis? That's right - Arabs paid America to kill Arabs. I'm sorry to put it so crudely, but I reatlly feel that it is time for a home truth or two.

Sadly, it seems that what you said is true. And that explains the mess now.
All because that petrol!! Thanks God, we have no petrol here. So they may let us in peace.