The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

digging in Options
Gordon Freeman
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2015 9:22:30 AM

Neurons: 240,227
Hi,

I was beginning to notice a subtle change in my father these days, that came out when he talked with Aunt Alexandra. It was a quiet digging in, never outright irritation.

It's about that change that came about in Atticus after having been confronted with a mob in front of the jailhouse. That famous level-headedness of his began to fail him. I don't quite feel the expression 'quiet digging in'. What is it? The Southern vernacular, by any chance? What does that mean? Has it any literal meaning to it? Like digging in what?
FounDit
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2015 10:00:33 AM

Neurons: 63,637
Gordon Freeman wrote:
Hi,

I was beginning to notice a subtle change in my father these days, that came out when he talked with Aunt Alexandra. It was a quiet digging in, never outright irritation.

It's about that change that came about in Atticus after having been confronted with a mob in front of the jailhouse. That famous level-headedness of his began to fail him. I don't quite feel the expression 'quiet digging in'. What is it? The Southern vernacular, by any chance? What does that mean? Has it any literal meaning to it? Like digging in what?

I haven't read the story, but there is an expression in the South, "to dig/make a dig/digging" to mean a subtle insult. A quiet "digging in" would then indicate a very subtle or sarcastic remark directed at someone. The text that follows might then possess examples of that.
towan52
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2015 10:28:52 AM

Neurons: 221,902
It might mean that he was "holding his position". To dig in can mean to establish a "line of defense" which would suggest the author is using the term figuratively.
belll
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2015 10:33:40 AM

Neurons: 8,420
Interesting read...'To Kill A Mockingbird'. Awaiting release of the 2nd or third installment, soon to be published. Will be an interesting read. Not easy to read... because of the venacular.Strange how things have changed 'to dig' now means 'to like'. Tough times back then I guess...
FounDit
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2015 10:52:40 AM

Neurons: 63,637
Having read towan52's post, I have to agree with him. Given the time period of the book, "a dig" would not have the modern meaning of insult, but probably just as towan suggests, a hardening, or holding, of position.
Milica Boghunovich
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2015 12:44:53 PM

Neurons: 151,873
belll wrote:
Interesting read...'To Kill A Mockingbird'. Awaiting release of the 2nd or third installment, soon to be published. Will be an interesting read. Not easy to read... because of the venacular.Strange how things have changed 'to dig' now means 'to like'. Tough times back then I guess...

Tough times nowadays, too... with all the dysfunctional and sick-minded alcoholics and addicts being put in high positions of directors, CEOs, etc. when honest, healthy spiritual people should be voted for these positions... there would be nobody poor if the resources were distributed evenly... living wages. Money in the hands of the greedy and miserly is evil, and those who live them live sickly, narrow-chested lives putting others of great personal worth down.
NKM
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2015 3:26:01 PM

Neurons: 314,788
I think Towan and FounDit are right. It's about being "quietly defensive."

Something like: "You already know what I think, so let's not talk about it."

Gordon Freeman
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2015 1:57:53 AM

Neurons: 240,227
Thanks everyone! It reminds me of the way some less mobile living creatures dig their bodies partly into the ground and leave the less vulnerable parts outside to stand the better chance to survive if a thread arises.