mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Attention: English Learners Options
TheParser
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2015 6:11:36 AM

Neurons: 22,062
Dear English Learners:

I know how much you wish to practice your English comprehension.

So I wish to strongly suggest that you watch an "old" (1992 - 2002) British TV comedy program called "As Time Goes By." It is on DVD. It would be well worth the price.

Our local TV station plays two episodes every weekend. It is absolutely hilarious.

Believe me: It WILL help your English. You will learn many new words. Yesterday, for example, I heard one character refer to an "ear trumpet." It took me a few minutes to realize that he was referring to a "hearing aid."

The humor is delicious. Very traditional understated British humor of the middle classes. The stars are Judi Dench and Geoffrey Palmer. Their banter (playful exchange of conversation) will keep you constantly chuckling (laughing gently).

If you are a teacher in a non-English-speaking country, you would, in my opinion, be doing your students a big favor by showing this program to your students (after, of course, explaining some of the program's vocabulary). Your students will get a delightful introduction to life in a small English town. Showing an episode each week could be used as a reward.
Daniela Aguglia
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2015 7:37:22 AM

Neurons: 1,063,492
Hi Parser!
thank you so much for your kind suggestion! As it sounds fun and very useful, I've bought the whole box right now on internet.
I'll let you know!
many thanks again
Daniela
Hope123
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2015 8:38:53 AM

Neurons: 55,476
What an excellent idea, Parser! I never would have thought to recommend it to English Language Learners and their teachers.

We have watched the whole series. It was on TV and we bought some DVDs as well. We are watching it again on Public TV. (I rarely watch anything twice.)

It really is hilarious - British have a great sense of humour!

Most of the TV we watch is from the BBC and is on Public TV here in Canada. Our station is connected to Buffalo in the States. We like many of the British detective series too.

('Murdoch Mysteries' is a good one made in Canada about early days in Toronto.)
Daniela Aguglia
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2015 9:21:58 AM

Hi hope,
I like Murdoch very much in fact I watched them all!
Daniela
Hope123
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2015 9:50:00 AM

Daniela Aguglia wrote:
Hi hope,
I like Murdoch very much in fact I watched them all!
Daniela

:)
TheParser
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2015 5:41:58 AM

Daniela Aguglia wrote:

I'll let you know!

I look forward to your review.
TheParser
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2015 5:43:30 AM

Hope123 wrote:
British have a great sense of humour!

So true!
Daniela Aguglia
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2015 11:28:38 AM

Hi Parser!
I've bought the whole series "As time goes by" and watched it again and again! My husband and I have learned many Idioms and saying and expressions! We often stop the film, take photos of the subtitles so as to study them later on.
We really love them, the actors are great and the situations are extremely amusing.
We'd be grateful if you would suggest any other series.
Thank you again
Best
Daniela
Romany
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2015 1:31:09 PM

Neurons: 58,164

Hey, Daniela,

It's so good not just that you enjoyed the series, but that you both found it helpful.

Parsar wasn't with us for very long, but perhaps I could make a suggestion?

"Downton Abbey" or the older "Upstairs Downstairs" are both series that were hugely popular. The both start with the stories of both the family who live in the "Big House" (Upstairs) and those who work for them (Downstairs.) in the golden days before WWI. Both series then follow all these stories up to WWI and how they were affected, and then to after the war when their whole worlds have changed.

The English is very clear,the story absorbing, and the characters be certainly believable. They give a really good picture, too, of how British society changed so drastically after WWI that it was never the same again. They're not humorous, as the other was, but they certainly get you very caught up in them both.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2015 3:56:29 AM

Neurons: 598,978
Finnish TV channels are filled with numerous BBC series. Luckily today, you can switch off the subtitles.
Murdoch is also broadcasted here ;-)
Hope123
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2015 11:43:14 AM

We are watching a couple of Aussie series on public TV. (If you like murder mysteries there are lots of them.)

"Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries" - cute idea. On right now in Canada/Buffalo.
"The Doctor Blake Mysteries" - will be back

Any chance you can get the Canadian series "The Nature of Things"? An excellent nature series - and since you know the topic of the show, the English should be fairly easy to understand. CBC - Canadian Broadcasting Company. Probably not.

We watch all kinds of British mysteries as well on PBS. The main PBS station is affilated with Buffalo. "Foyle's War", "Poirot", "Sherlock", "Miss Marple", and "Midsomer Murders" is only a partial list.

Often these are on Masterpiece. There is Masterpiece Classic, and Masterpiece Mystery.

A couple of others on Masterpiece Classic are on right now -

"Home Fires" and "Indian Summers". They are filming the latest "Poldark" series to run later. I enjoyed that one a great deal too.

Angela Lansbury, a fabulous British actor, did an American series, often in reruns, called "Murder She Wrote". The plot is the same pretty much every time so they were easy listening. And no blood and gore.

Judy Dench, another fabulous British actor who was in "As Time Goes By" had another comedy series earlier. I have to go google the title, I hope. ETA - see next post. It is exactly what you are after.

Judy Dench and Maggie Smith were together in a couple of good movies recently - Have to go look those titles up too. ETA - "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel I and Hotel II.

Maggie Smith is fabulous too. She is in "Downton Abbey" and I agree with Romany about the series she mentioned. JJ mentioned "Murdock" - they actually changed the ttitle to some weird one - can't remember - "The? Detective"

Timing on TV varies in countries, often by months or even the next year.

Good luck with finding them, maybe even online. There are lots of good series out there.

Hope123
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2015 11:52:09 AM

Got it, Daniela. "A Fine Romance" with Judi Dench - 1981 series.

"A Fine Romance" is a British situation comedy starring husband-and-wife team Judi Dench and Michael Williams." 4 series, 26 episodes. Check Wiki for more info.
Romany
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2015 7:39:24 AM

Neurons: 58,164

Hope -

Yeah, well, even the Queen recognises both Dench and Smith as two of our National Treasures. They are both titled, respectively, Dame Judi Dench and Dame Maggie Smith. (Though the one that always makes me smile is Sir Paul McCartney. Sucks-boo to the people who called the Beatles "a gang of long-haired louts" back in the day!)
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2015 9:10:32 AM

Neurons: 229,940

Not to forget the Third Earl of Harrow, of course:

[image not available]

But I wouldn't emulate his use of English - stick to the Dames for that.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 4:08:05 AM

Neurons: 598,978
Drag0n,
you forgot Count Basie, Duke Ellington...
aw, they were American ;-)
Luker4
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 8:52:04 AM

Neurons: 24,493
Thank you TheParser I will check it out :)

Wasn't there an ear trumpet in "Allo Allo" ? Whistle