mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Have you heard this rumor? Options
TheParser
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2015 7:46:11 AM

Neurons: 22,062
This is a "good" rumor, so I am delighted to share it with you.

"There was always this rumor that the logo of Apple computers -- the apple with a bite taken out of it -- was Steve Jobs' silent tribute to Alan Turing's suicide."

-- Jewish Journal , February, 2015.

(I shall assume that you know who Alan Turing was and how his government so cruelly drove him to kill himself -- by biting into an apple laced with cyanide.)
Romany
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2015 8:10:16 AM

Neurons: 56,753
Yes - one can't help coming across this rumour.

However, if one looks, one will also find it completely refuted by Apple.

So you pays yer money and you takes yer pick, as usual, I guess.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2015 8:16:50 AM

Neurons: 591,579
From TFD article Apple Inc.

Apple's first logo, designed by Ron Wayne, depicts Sir Isaac Newton sitting under an apple tree. It was almost immediately replaced by Rob Janoff's "rainbow Apple", the now-familiar rainbow-colored silhouette of an apple with a bite taken out of it. Janoff presented Jobs with several different monochromatic themes for the "bitten" logo, and Jobs immediately took a liking to it. While Jobs liked the logo, he insisted it be in color to humanize the company. The logo was designed with a bite so that it would not be confused with a cherry. The colored stripes were conceived to make the logo more accessible, and to represent the fact the Apple II could generate graphics in color. This logo is often erroneously referred to as a tribute to Alan Turing, with the bite mark a reference to his method of suicide. Both Janoff and Apple deny any homage to Turing in the design of the logo.

Kat
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2015 8:29:56 AM

Neurons: 3,389
Interesting tidbit, but darn!
I thought it might be a tad juicier
than that. I've got a rumor about my
neighbor, if anyone is interested.
socratoad
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2015 12:36:15 PM

Neurons: 161,303
Did you hear the latest rumour? Its not
out yet.
Listening . . .
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2015 11:35:34 PM

Neurons: 3,950
This is brand new for me. Although I don't buy into this rumor, I can see the apple symbolizing some reference to religion and sin; Alan Turing was gay - hence, the rainbow. How did Alan Turing commit suicide?

Speaking of Alan Turing, what a sad story. If only he'd been allowed to live his life without ridicule (and punishment), think of what else he may have contributed to this world.
TheParser
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2015 5:56:15 AM

Neurons: 22,062
Listening . . . wrote:

Speaking of Alan Turing, what a sad story.

And don't forget: He was mistreated by the country that he helped save from the Nazis! Talk about ingratitude!

The British "Establishment" of the time could have easily intervened to prevent this tragedy. It was (is?) a common practice to prevent members of the Establishment from being embarrassed in public.

Thank you to everyone who commented and especial thanks for the link.

But that rumor is so touching and poignant that I shall continue to hope against hope that it contains at least a particle of truth -- despite denials from Apple executives.
tunaafi
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2015 6:47:59 AM

Neurons: 53,503
TheParser wrote:
And don't forget: He was mistreated by the country that he helped save from the Nazis! Talk about ingratitude!

The British "Establishment" of the time could have easily intervened to prevent this tragedy.

He was not 'mistreated' according to beliefs of the time.

Turing went voluntarily to the police to report a crime and voluntarily confessed his homosexuality. Homosexuality was a crime at the time, and widely considered to be disgusting abomination. The establishment would have found it hard to prevent his perfectly correct and legal trial and conviction, particularly after the recent Burgess and Maclean affair. This was a time, in Britain and the USA, of widespread fear of communism, and homosexuals were thought to be particularly vulnerable to communist influence.

Homosexual acts were condemned by all major churches (and are still disapproved of today by some). They were illegal in nearly every country in the world (and still are in some 78 countries. Homosexuality was considered to be a mental disorder by the American Psychiatric Association (an approach that continued for another 20 years).

In those days, to have shown sympathy and support for Turing would have suggested to many that one approved of immoral, criminal and possibly dangerous behaviour
Romany
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2015 10:20:57 AM

Neurons: 56,753
One of the biggest errors people make is to "translate" things that happened in the past into our, modern present. Yep, we used to kill people as a punishment for certain crimes; we didn't let women go to university; we all used to take copious amounts of drugs; and - nothing to be proud of - we used to persecute gay people.

From our standpoint in a slightly more enlightened society it is ridiculously easy to stand in smug judgement of our less-enlightened forebears. But they were products of their age - not ours. We can shake our heads and express outrage - but slagging off past horrors is one thing. Trying to affix blame and pass judgement by suggesting that current mores be used to frame past sins, is an exercise in futility, surely?