mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
How do you answer what your race is? (Not your ethnicity...) Options
Mami
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 5:27:41 PM

Neurons: 513
I'm interested to hear how you guys answer what your race is... I was born in Peru, one of my paternal great-grandpa's was German, my paternal great-grandma was of Spanish descent. On my mom's side my two of my great grandparents were of Spanish descent...However my maternal grandpa was of very dark complexion, which leads me to believe that we must have some south american indigenous in us...
So how am I supposed to answer what race I am???!!! OTHER??!!
AnthA1G
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 5:41:09 PM

Neurons: 3,432
I guess that makes you multiracial.
KinkoCat
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 5:52:24 PM

Neurons: 39
I work for an attorney who is from the island of Trinidad. Her mother is African, French, German, Scottish and her father was African and Venezulan. She is not real dark, but she does have African features, but not African hair. She describes herself as being a "woman of color."
JayJay
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 6:37:43 PM

Neurons: 477
1. A local geographic or global human population distinguished as a more or less distinct group by genetically transmitted physical characteristics.
2. A group of people united or classified together on the basis of common history, nationality, or geographic distribution.

By the above definitions:

1.White/Caucasian
2.Mostly Scandinavian/some English/with dash of Australian.
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 6:43:58 PM

Neurons: 1,314
Mami wrote:

"I'm interested to hear how you guys answer what your race is... I was born in Peru, one of my paternal great-grandpa's was German, my paternal great-grandma was of Spanish descent. On my mom's side my two of my great grandparents were of Spanish descent...However my maternal grandpa was of very dark complexion, which leads me to believe that we must have some south american indigenous in us...
So how am I supposed to answer what race I am???!!! OTHER??!! "

You can answer:

- White, Multiracial, or Other Hispanic.
- Or whichever you best identify with.
- Or whichever could qualify you as a minority if you are interested in availing yourself of minority benefits.
Epiphileon
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 6:46:53 PM

Neurons: 166,581
I check other, then write in human
worldsclyde
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 6:49:09 PM

Neurons: 2,390
As far back as I can trace, I have western european/english ancestors. I'm pure caucasion which, to me, seems rather boring. I live near "North Idaho" and its funny. According to many there, I should be so proud, LOL.
(North Idaho has long been a gathering for neo nazis and white power types. Things are a little better now but its not all gone away)
Kami
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 6:49:28 PM

Neurons: 687
AnthA1G wrote:
I guess that makes you multiracial.

Right answerApplause
kaleem
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 6:51:05 PM

Neurons: 9,948
Keep your lineage updated!

HWNN1961
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 6:51:07 PM

Neurons: 9,763
Like Bill Murray said in the movie "Stripes"..."your relatives have been kicked out of every decent country in the world..you're a mutt!, Your an American".

I'm a mutt: German, Irish, and from the province of Bohemia in the old Austro-Hungarian Empire (not sure if Czech or Slovakia got that real-estate).
TL Hobs
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 7:33:45 PM

Neurons: 6,101
My neighbors down the road at Homer, Alaska call themselves Homer Sapiens Dancing

oxymoron
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 7:43:27 PM

Neurons: 845
Here in the so called United KIngdom an Englishman is not allowed to say he is English. Most forms denote either White British or Caucasian, Black British etc. I always cross this out and put english pinkish [colourblind]
boneyfriend
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 7:59:44 PM

Neurons: 10,546
I would think one could put anything he/she wanted.
mailady
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 8:11:06 PM

Neurons: 2,752
As time goes on , with the world getting smaller and humans doing what comes natural to the species, it has gotten almost silly to specify a race or ethnicity.

Which brings me to a question I have wondered about most of my life.
Why are people considered to be "black" if one of the parents black and the other is white? Is this just in the US?

xsmith
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 8:15:54 PM

Neurons: 4,497
In nature/science, there is no such thing as race. Race is a human construct that is the source of much strife, conflict, and confusion. It lies at the heart of most of man's inhumanity to man. It makes more sense to classify people according to their nationality.
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 8:19:02 PM

mailady wrote:
As time goes on , with the world getting smaller and humans doing what comes natural to the species, it has gotten almost silly to specify a race or ethnicity.

Why are people considered to be "black" if one of the parents black and the other is white? Is this just in the US?

That's why it made me so mad when people were referring to Obama as "black" during the campaign. Where does that leave his mom? Doesn't she count for anything?...
grammargeek
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 8:19:38 PM

Neurons: 33,836
When asked my race, I answer "white." I rarely say "Caucasian" even though it is accurate. "White" is just simpler and easier.

On a related note, has anybody been watching "Lopez Tonight"? George Lopez has some of his guests submit DNA samples beforehand and then reveals the results of their ethnicity on the show. Several guests were surprised at the results; I wish I could remember more of the specific details. Lopez had himself tested, as well. According to Wiki, "A DNA test read by Mariah Carey on Lopez Tonight revealed Lopez to be of 55% European, 32% Native American, 9% East Asian, and 4% African descent."
Mami
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 8:20:25 PM

Neurons: 513
Epiphileon wrote:

I like your answer Dancing
I think that's what I'll do from now on! :)
1Atua
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 8:29:46 PM

Neurons: 3
You are what your parents are .
So let's say that my mom is white , and my
dad is black and mexican .
Then, I'd be white , mexican , and black .

It doesn't even matter what your grandparents are . (:
nooblet
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 8:52:21 PM

Neurons: 4,778
grammargeek wrote:
When asked my race, I answer "white." I rarely say "Caucasian" even though it is accurate. "White" is just simpler and easier.

On a related note, has anybody been watching "Lopez Tonight"? George Lopez has some of his guests submit DNA samples beforehand and then reveals the results of their ethnicity on the show. Several guests were surprised at the results; I wish I could remember more of the specific details. Lopez had himself tested, as well. According to Wiki, "A DNA test read by Mariah Carey on Lopez Tonight revealed Lopez to be of 55% European, 32% Native American, 9% East Asian, and 4% African descent."

Actually, Caucasian is inaccurate for the majority of white people, since the majority are not from the Caucasus region (southeastern Europe). I dislike the term "white" as well, as it lumps together a very large group of people. Certain regions are known for having lighter skin, lighter hair color, and lighter eye color (northern Europe), while other areas have darker skin, darker hair color, and darker eyes (around the Mediterranean). This isn't even taking into account facial structure, body types, etc. There is a lot of variation in "white" people, and a lot of it can be traced to the people living in specific regions.

I guess a lot of "white" people are mutts (like myself) and so it would be too complicated for the census to gather all the information, but I still find it a little insulting that we all just get lumped into one group. This isn't about racial superiority or anything, it's about being proud of one's heritage.

As for what I mark, I tend to check other and put "German-Japanese."
Gwen
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 8:55:29 PM

Neurons: 689
I'm German/Pennsylvania Dutch on my mother's side and Scotch/Irish/Welsh/Native American on my father's, even tho' I show more of the German/Dutch than anything else.
oxymoron
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 9:44:24 PM

mailady wrote:

I too have oft wondered why it is black that is used when clearly it is brown pigmentation of varying degrees. Some years back a programme looked into DNA from white English families over several generations. Many had African lineage and over time pigmentation had changed or reverted. The KKK,Nazi's,BNP, would be appopleptic at the thought. Why did'nt your god, gods make us all colourblind? There would'nt have been any "STRANGE FRUIT". Just a thought.
Desiree
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 12:25:52 AM

Neurons: 207,221

Sorry, but it sounds extremely weird to me , that somebody asks you. What race are you ? instead of
Where are you from ? What does the race matter ? I think, there´s no pure race , How much time behind can one trace their ancestors ? So many interchange of genes has been made through history ? Nobody knows?
Isn´t a little queer that Hitler magnified the aria race, and he has black hair ? Strange !!
vr091073
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 1:13:33 AM

Neurons: 720
South Asians being essentially of mixed lineage, this question can be a bit of a riddle for me, for I am north Indian-descended. Having said that, I would have no qualms about terming myself a mongrel. We all are, to one degree or another, racially blended.

On another note, in evolutionary biological and palaeo-anthropological terms, we all ultimately derive from some African progenitor, and in that sense, every single one of us verily is, irrespective of the twists, turns and quirks our respective individual genealogies may have taken over the past 200,000 or so years, Africans!
Lesnic
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 3:37:10 AM

Neurons: 15
There is only one race - the human race. I cant believe in this day and age you would come across a question like that. I can understand the question what nationality but race?
Seeker
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 10:34:41 AM

Neurons: 1,715
Epiphileon wrote:

I love it!!
Applause Applause Applause Applause

And I see you live in the "Live Free, Or Die" state.
Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing

There's no box to check for "human" on the Census.
Whistle Whistle Whistle Whistle

Thanks Epiphileon for helping me start my day with some fun - and common sense.

Vickster
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 1:55:43 PM

Neurons: 7,211
ahhh HWNN beat me too the punch.... I think of myself as a mutt Whistle ... English, French, Scotish, Indian... you name it... that's me...geez in the sun I look Irish...and night I look Italian... but if someone asked I'd say "I'm an American..."
oxymoron
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 8:09:09 PM

Seeker wrote:
Epiphileon wrote:

I love it!!
Applause Applause Applause Applause

And I see you live in the "Live Free, Or Die" state.
Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing

There's no box to check for "human" on the Census.
Whistle Whistle Whistle Whistle

Thanks Epiphileon for helping me start my day with some fun - and common sense.

Ive oft seen people put Klingon. Jedi for religous status.
TYSON
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 10:05:37 PM

Neurons: 3,793
HOMO-SAPIEN
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 10:32:34 PM

TYSON wrote:
HOMO-SAPIEN

HOMO SAPIENS
Tovarish
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 11:02:01 PM

Neurons: 39,933
Some time back, there was a post, explaining the Prefix used by people in the US.ie African-American, Native-American etc
It is not a practice in Australia, would probably take too long.

Native-Australians are referred to as Aboriginals, but not by them selves. They prefer Koorie, or their Tribal Name, of which there as many as there are native languages.

My prefix is pretty boring, English/Irish Australian.

Does anyone still remember the song with words 'the great big American pot' well its gone Global.

JJ, I love the 'dash of Australian'. Aussies have a dash quite often.
macksam
Posted: Friday, May 21, 2010 9:10:49 AM

Neurons: 234
Noach had three sons from whom the three races descend: Shem, Ham, Yahpheth.
Shem is the Forebearer of Whites; Ham, of Blacks; and Yahpheth of Yellows.

(I know; I know; it's too simple for the World.)
risadr
Posted: Friday, May 21, 2010 10:36:40 AM

Neurons: 3,545
Mami wrote:
I'm interested to hear how you guys answer what your race is...

I don't. That question is always optional, so I choose not to answer it.

When people look at me, they see a "white" girl, but how does that identify who I am? The simplest answer is that I'm a person, a human being, a resident of this Earth. I have no race and, because I don't believe in organized religion, I have no creed. I simply exist. I like this existence. I wish it to continue.
Yorker
Posted: Friday, May 21, 2010 10:55:26 AM

Neurons: 2,084
Early modern humans resulted from an isolation of different groups within Africa, and then again after the different groups left Africa. If this is the case we are all africans originating from one small area in the Rift Valley, in Ethopia.

Alice Roberts is a Medical Doctor and Anthropologist whose tv series was superb and it's now available on utube watch it and then ask again. So what race am I?

Yes, and for you guys out there, Alice is easy on the eye as well!

The Incredible Human Journey - EP1: Out of Africa http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=0CA622974045F2F2

RuthP
Posted: Friday, May 21, 2010 11:45:23 AM

Neurons: 87,618
Yorker, thanks for the link; it's fantastic.

Here is another: PBS: Faces of America. Historian Louis Gates Jr. uses genetics to trace the history of a number of prominent Americans.

The U.S., with the exception of Native Americans who have been here since prehistory, is a nation of immigrants. If one's ancestors have been here for more than a generation, it is pretty much guaranteed one is a mutt.

Dr. Gates notes in this program that he is about 50% Irish (more, if I remember correctly than any other part of his genetic heritage), yet he finds it impractical to call himself an Irish-American. Professor Gates:

[image not available]