mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
jesus' Options
jesusandmo
Posted: Wednesday, March 2, 2016 12:08:46 PM

Neurons: 816
pedro wrote:
Straw poll; How often do TFD members sleep with their brother's wives?

Deuteronomy 25:5 notwithstanding:
If brethren dwell together, and one of them die, and have no child, the wife of the dead shall not marry without unto a stranger: her husband's brother shall go in unto her, and take her to him to wife, and perform the duty of an husband's brother unto her.

Those instances don't count, being more of a moral obligation.

ithink140
Posted: Wednesday, March 2, 2016 12:25:52 PM

Neurons: 17,922
Onan's brother had died childless, and the Law stated that the surviving brother should perform brother-in-law marriage with his brothers widow. It was his failure to conduct proper intercourse with the woman that led to his death. He withdrew just before ejaculation, spilling his seed upon the ground to avoid responsibility or to to make a land grab. For this he was sentenced to death.

Brother-in-law marriage insured the continuance of land rights to the dead brothers family.

PS: I do not agree with all of Keepy's posts, but I defend his right to keep on doing posting. To ridicule him is cruel and very childish in the extreme. You do not need to read his posts do you? You will note that he does not ridicule in return. This the FREE Dictionary is it not?

If his posts annoy you the do not read them... 'simples' as the meerkaat says.
tunaafi
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2016 3:28:41 AM

Neurons: 53,503
ithink140 wrote:
To ridicule him is cruel and very childish in the extreme. You do not need to read his posts do you? You will note that he does not ridicule in return. This the FREE Dictionary is it not?
[/color]

Quite. So we are free to ridicule the ridiculous, Peter.
pedro
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2016 4:59:42 AM

Neurons: 63,022
Keepy is indeed free to carry on posting. If I was ridiculing anything it was the Bible, although there are more ridiculous verses.
Maryam Dad
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2016 6:34:40 AM

Neurons: 3,441
pedro wrote:

ithink140
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2016 7:16:32 AM

You well know that I was referring to freedom to post, Tuffers… not freedom to relentlessly ridicule. Why must you be so obtuse? When are you going to post something constructive? Do you have anything to say? Stop carping!

PS: My post was not directed at you, Pedro. The inheritance land laws in ancient Israel were very important, and Onan was seeking to bypass these, and make a land grab of his brothers property. Such behavior was taken very seriously under the Mosaic Law. I am not in agreement with much of what Keepy posts, or his style of posting. However it has become the norm to make fun of him through the use of ridicule.

It is very difficult to conduct a conversation on Bible texts, which are often viewed out of surrounding context, or the wider context. I am always happy to have a serious and respectful discussion on the veracity of the Bible, and of any of its verses.

Of course it is entirely proper that one has the right to challenge such, just as it is entirely proper that one has the right to challenge such theories as evolution. One is entitled to one's view of the Law of Moses, as to its fairness, but its statutes are clear. Onan was not sleeping with his brothers wife... his brother was dead and Onan had married the woman... she was now his wife.

pedro
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2016 8:36:35 AM

Points taken ithink.
keepyy
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2016 9:34:20 AM

Neurons: 2,211
jesusandmo wrote:
pedro wrote:

Deuteronomy 25:5 notwithstanding:
If brethren dwell together, and one of them die, and have no child, the wife of the dead shall not marry without unto a stranger: her husband's brother shall go in unto her, and take her to him to wife, and perform the duty of an husband's brother unto her.

Those instances don't count, being more of a moral obligation.

therefore the lord punished him but this time the rod brought a sudden death. god laughs in this case at the suffering of the lawbreaker.
keepyy
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2016 10:02:26 AM

keepyy wrote:
jesusandmo wrote:
but Onan knew that the child would not be his; so whenever he slept with his brother’s wife, he spilled his semen on the ground to keep from providing offspring for his brother. what he did was wicked in the Lord’s sight; so the Lord put him to death also.

this song, the most beautiful one, was written by king solomon, the brother of jesus since jesus is called the son of david. the book has been interpreted by jews as a picture of the relashionship between god and his people, for the christians it is jesus and his people.
one night in my dream, my lover was missing from my bed. i got up to look for him but could'nt find him. i went out to the streets to seek him. the police stopped me and i asked, have you seen him anywhere, this one i love so much? just afterwards i found him. i held him fast and would not let him go. now she is praying, 'come north wind, come south wind, blow on 'my guarden' and waft the perfume to my beloved. let him come into 'his guarden' and eat the choicest fruits'

i have become a 'wall and my breasts are its towers'. now this is jesus speaking from heaven, my desir for you makes me feel like a prince in a chariot. i am going down to see my guarden whether the vines are in bloom. skipping like a young stag on the hills to her.
the voice of my beloved, behold he comes. i was sleeping but my heart was awake. now i hear him knocking, open to me my sister, my darling. i have been out in the night and iam covered with dew. my lover put his hand in the opening, i felt excited inside. i got up to open the door for him, myrrh was dripping from the handle of the lock. and he said, get up my love, let us go away, the winter is over, spring is here. let us return into heaven before the morning dawns. be like a young deer, i am a young stag...
jesusandmo
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2016 11:14:22 AM

ithink140 wrote:
PS: My post was not directed at you, Pedro...

...Onan was not sleeping with his brothers wife... his brother was dead and Onan had married the woman... she was now his wife.

Firstly, who were you telling off then?
I legitimately posted an extract from the Bible (in the manner of the OP) that, as you correctly point out, describes how the property rights over Tamar – otherwise known as 'the woman' – was handed to Onan after God slew Er for some apparent transgression. Pedro was the one that raised the issue of sleeping with brother's wives... why is he spared a scolding? Is he your favourite?

Secondly, why would the Bible repeatedly describe 'the woman' as "his brother’s wife" if God meant "the woman who is now his wife"... Didn't God have an editor?

ithink140 wrote:
However it has become the norm to make fun of him through the use of ridicule.

ithink140 wrote:
Onan's brother had died childless, and the Law stated that the surviving brother should perform brother-in-law marriage with his brothers widow. It was his failure to conduct proper intercourse with the woman that led to his death. He withdrew just before ejaculation, spilling his seed upon the ground to avoid responsibility or to to make a land grab. For this he was sentenced to death.

Brother-in-law marriage insured the continuance of land rights to the dead brothers family.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was misreading this section of the inerrant and eternal word of God as describing some antediluvian patriarchal society where women are viewed as property... which of course would have absolutely no relevance to a modern civilised society.

ithink140 wrote:
PS: I do not agree with all of keepyy's posts, but I defend his right to keep on doing posting.

Very valiant of you, but is anyone actually trying to take away his right to keep on 'doing postings'? Eh?

It's clear keepyy is not in the slightest bit interested in a discussion, he/she is simply proselytising – it's not even clear whether he/she is actually a human or a bot. In the meantime other members are posting amongst themselves as they choose. What exactly is your problem with that? This the FREE Dictionary is it not?

ithink140 wrote:
To ridicule him is cruel and very childish in the extreme.

keepyy doesn't seem in the slightest bit fazed... I think you're projecting. Boo hoo!

ithink140 wrote:
You do not need to read his posts do you? You will note that he does not ridicule in return. This the FREE Dictionary is it not?

Very good advice, which I will take with all due deference. In fact it's such good advice, I'll be sure to pass it on where appropriate.

jesusandmo
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2016 11:17:26 AM

ithink140 wrote:
PS: I do not agree with all of Keepy's posts, but I defend his right to keep on doing posting. To ridicule him is cruel and very childish in the extreme. You do not need to read his posts do you? You will note that he does not ridicule in return. This the FREE Dictionary is it not?

An esteemed member of these boards once offered me this advice:

You don't have to agree with others posts, but others have the right to keep on 'doing posting'. To chip in just to wag your finger is childish in the extreme. You do not need to read others posts do you? You will note that others just don't respond to your threads, period. This the FREE Dictionary is it not?

If others posts annoy you then do not read them... 'wind yer neck in!' as Barney the Dinosaur doesn't say.

jesusandmo
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2016 11:19:18 AM

keepyy wrote:
therefore the lord punished him but this time the rod brought a sudden death. god laughs in this case at the suffering of the lawbreaker.

Nice! Applause

jesusandmo
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2016 11:20:58 AM

ithink140
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2016 12:34:33 PM

JM, you do get hot under the collar. I will not reply to your recent posts... I consider it a waste of time.
jesusandmo
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2016 12:38:59 PM

But you just did. Think

pedro
Posted: Friday, March 4, 2016 4:53:30 AM

It's a shame you cannot recycle wasted time.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Friday, March 4, 2016 5:08:02 AM

Neurons: 591,979
God bless you, Pedro, for your comments ;-)
tunaafi
Posted: Friday, March 4, 2016 5:35:12 AM

Neurons: 53,503
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
God bless you, Pedro, for your comments ;-)

Amen to that.
Maryam Dad
Posted: Friday, March 4, 2016 8:01:56 AM

Long live Pedro!
jesusandmo
Posted: Friday, March 4, 2016 9:39:20 AM

Nothing to do with any opinions I personally hold about Pedro... since I have never voted.

jesusandmo
Posted: Friday, March 4, 2016 10:07:24 AM

Appropriate perhaps to the point about not wasting time:

keepyy
Posted: Friday, March 4, 2016 11:56:51 AM

keepyy wrote:
keepyy wrote:
jesusandmo wrote:
but Onan knew that the child would not be his; so whenever he slept with his brother’s wife, he spilled his semen on the ground to keep from providing offspring for his brother. what he did was wicked in the Lord’s sight; so the Lord put him to death also.

this song, the most beautiful one, was written by king solomon, the brother of jesus since jesus is called the son of david. the book has been interpreted by jews as a picture of the relashionship between god and his people, for the christians it is jesus and his people.
one night in my dream, my lover was missing from my bed. i got up to look for him but could'nt find him. i went out to the streets to seek him. the police stopped me and i asked, have you seen him anywhere, this one i love so much? just afterwards i found him. i held him fast and would not let him go. now she is praying, 'come north wind, come south wind, blow on 'my guarden' and waft the perfume to my beloved. let him come into 'his guarden' and eat the choicest fruits'

i have become a 'wall and my breasts are its towers'. now this is jesus speaking from heaven, my desir for you makes me feel like a prince in a chariot. i am going down to see my guarden whether the vines are in bloom. skipping like a young stag on the hills to her.
the voice of my beloved, behold he comes. i was sleeping but my heart was awake. now i hear him knocking, open to me my sister, my darling. i have been out in the night and iam covered with dew. my lover put his hand in the opening, i felt excited inside. i got up to open the door for him, myrrh was dripping from the handle of the lock. and he said, get up my love, let us go away, the winter is over, spring is here. let us return into heaven before the morning dawns. be like a young deer, i am a young stag...

what about your beloved? his head is gold, his eyes are like the eyes of doves by the rivers. his belly is like smooth ivory with veins of sapphires. his legs are marble posts standing on gold feet. i desir him very much. his arms are rods of gold set with topaz nails. his locks are curly bushy, black raven. like banks of sweet herbs yielding fragrance, his speech is most sweet.

who is that young woman that shines out like the dawn? i saw 'the blossoms in my garden' now iam excited, you have made me as eager for love...
keepyy
Posted: Saturday, March 5, 2016 10:09:44 AM

draw me after you, let us run. he brings me to the banquet room.
keepyy
Posted: Saturday, March 5, 2016 10:15:52 AM

jesusandmo wrote:
Appropriate perhaps to the point about not wasting time:

because wisdom will preserve your life, you must waste you time learning, and rule your life by the scriptures
keepyy
Posted: Saturday, March 5, 2016 10:24:25 AM

jesusandmo wrote:
ithink140 wrote:
PS: My post was not directed at you, Pedro...

...Onan was not sleeping with his brothers wife... his brother was dead and Onan had married the woman... she was now his wife.

Firstly, who were you telling off then?
I legitimately posted an extract from the Bible (in the manner of the OP) that, as you correctly point out, describes how the property rights over Tamar – otherwise known as 'the woman' – was handed to Onan after God slew Er for some apparent transgression. Pedro was the one that raised the issue of sleeping with brother's wives... why is he spared a scolding? Is he your favourite?

Secondly, why would the Bible repeatedly describe 'the woman' as "his brother’s wife" if God meant "the woman who is now his wife"... Didn't God have an editor?

ithink140 wrote:
However it has become the norm to make fun of him through the use of ridicule.

ithink140 wrote:

Thanks for clearing that up. I was misreading this section of the inerrant and eternal word of God as describing some antediluvian patriarchal society where women are viewed as property... which of course would have absolutely no relevance to a modern civilised society.

ithink140 wrote:
PS: I do not agree with all of keepyy's posts, but I defend his right to keep on doing posting.

Very valiant of you, but is anyone actually trying to take away his right to keep on 'doing postings'? Eh?

It's clear keepyy is not in the slightest bit interested in a discussion, he/she is simply proselytising – it's not even clear whether he/she is actually a human or a bot. In the meantime other members are posting amongst themselves as they choose. What exactly is your problem with that? This the FREE Dictionary is it not?

ithink140 wrote:
To ridicule him is cruel and very childish in the extreme.

keepyy doesn't seem in the slightest bit fazed... I think you're projecting. Boo hoo!

ithink140 wrote:
You do not need to read his posts do you? You will note that he does not ridicule in return. This the FREE Dictionary is it not?

Very good advice, which I will take with all due deference. In fact it's such good advice, I'll be sure to pass it on where appropriate.

jesus has never said such. you must follow only jesus, the only way to heaven.
keepyy
Posted: Monday, March 7, 2016 10:30:40 AM

jesusandmo wrote:

this is unclean.
keepyy
Posted: Monday, March 7, 2016 10:34:44 AM

keepyy wrote:
draw me after you, let us run. he brings me to the banquet room.

marriage ceremony in heaven, how beautiful you are my darling, how beautiful. your eyes behind you veil are doves'. you have stolen my heart with one glance of your eye, my sister and my bride, there is milk under your tongue.
keepyy
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2016 10:36:17 AM

departure for the honeymoon.
now the king has brought me into his chambers, our ceiling made of juniper wood. this is the day of the gladness of his heart.
my guarden locked up, my sister, my bride, daughter of a prince, your lovely breasts twin deers, your mouth is the best wine smooth and sweet. his left hand under my head, kiss me. i have come into my guarden, iam gathring my spice and eating my honeycomb, drinking my wine and milk. my beloved is a bundle of myrrh, he shall lie all night between my breasts. i will sit down in his shadow with great delight for his fruit is sweet to my taste.
the upright will rejoice in you, we will remember your love.
keepyy
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2016 10:52:46 AM

who is this? this is jesus coming back from heaven leaning on his beloved?. with angels from the bodyguard. come and see jesus. look, he is wearing the crown of his wedding.
keepyy
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2016 12:46:38 PM

you sin will drag you down, why do you keep on rebelling, do you want to be punised even more? wash yourself clean, stop the evil i see you do and learn to do well. if you will only obey me everything will be all right, but if you refuse to listen you are doomed to die? for the mouth of the lord has spoken it.
Maryam Dad
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2016 8:55:06 PM

And peace be on him the day he was born, the day he dies, and the day he will be raised up to life (again)!
keepyy
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2016 9:18:53 AM

keepyy wrote:
who is this? this is jesus coming back from heaven leaning on his beloved?. with angels from the bodyguard. come and see jesus. look, he is wearing the crown of his wedding.

the mountain on which the temple of the lord stood is going to be the most important of all. all nations, let us go to the mountain of the lord, to the temple of the god of jacob. the lord will teach us his ways and we will obey them. the world will be ruled from jerusalem. now let us walk in the light which the lord gives us?
keepyy
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2016 1:56:51 PM

proud? people will be made humble. they will bow low with shame from his anger? and his great power. then the lord alone will be exalted. that day, people will cast away their idols before the terror of the lord and the splendor of his majesty. and all idols? shall utterly pass away.
keepyy
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2016 11:18:42 AM

let the lord hasten his work, and carry out his plans that we may see it!
pedro
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2016 11:28:54 AM

and post it!