mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Non-American Literature Options
Babezy
Posted: Sunday, May 2, 2010 9:43:26 PM

Neurons: 2,806
Here in the U.S. it's very easy to hear of the main American fiction authors and get a good reading list. But I'd like to broaden my experience of non-American authors. Is there anyone you'd recommend? If the person doesn't write in English I may be able to get a translated version through the Internet shops. Thanks.
Mr. Soria
Posted: Sunday, May 2, 2010 9:58:17 PM

Neurons: 216
Gabriel Garcia Marquez : Chronicle of a Death Foretold . In my personal opinion is better than : 100 Years of Solitude
uuaschbaer
Posted: Monday, May 3, 2010 6:33:54 AM

Neurons: 6,180
Gore Vidal recommends Italo Calvino. I'm still waiting for the paperback of The Complete Cosmicomics to be released, which is in three days, therefore I can't give you my opinion on the writer but I'm sure that one would rather have Vidal's anyway. I don't believe there is an American production of the same book however, because rights are scattered, so you would have to import it if you would want to read it too.
I recently finished Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams, which was very enjoyable. It requires a slight lack of taste however, since it's filled with humour.
peterhewett
Posted: Monday, May 3, 2010 7:41:42 AM

Neurons: 3,698

uuaschbaer said

'It requires a slight lack of taste however, since it's filled with humour.'

peter asks

You mean the humor is tasteless or out of place?
uuaschbaer
Posted: Monday, May 3, 2010 7:49:24 AM

peterhewett wrote:

uuaschbaer said

'It requires a slight lack of taste however, since it's filled with humour.'

peter asks

You mean the humor is tasteless or out of place?

The humour is great, I love it, but it makes it tougher to consider the book literature. It's still a very good book–very good–but Babezy might be looking for something a little more serious. Humorous books are often thought of as unworthy of the name "literature", I don't agree with that but I do acknowledge the difference between To Kill A Mockingbird and Right Ho, Jeeves.
abcxyz
Posted: Monday, May 3, 2010 4:38:13 PM

Neurons: 3,200
Try Anna Karenina by Tolstoy and Gora by Rabindranath Tagore. My two personal favourites.
Articulate Dreamer
Posted: Monday, May 3, 2010 4:52:22 PM

Neurons: 101,784
From India again, the short stories of Munshi Premcchand, and his novel 'Godaan', both available in translation.
...and 'The Great Indian Novel' by Shashi Tharoor, controversial politician, brilliant writer, diplomat at large.
uncoverer
Posted: Monday, May 3, 2010 5:46:22 PM

Kazio Ishiguro~An Artist of the Floating World.
The Remains of the Day(the movie was not true to the book btw)
And if you are more adventurous:My name is Red by Orhan Pamuk
Joseph Glantz
Posted: Tuesday, May 4, 2010 7:01:47 AM

Neurons: 6,040
uuaschbaer wrote:
Gore Vidal recommends Italo Calvino. I'm still waiting for the paperback of The Complete Cosmicomics to be released, which is in three days, therefore I can't give you my opinion on the writer but I'm sure that one would rather have Vidal's anyway. I don't believe there is an American production of the same book however, because rights are scattered, so you would have to import it if you would want to read it too.
I recently finished Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams, which was very enjoyable. It requires a slight lack of taste however, since it's filled with humour.

Calvino is great. His "Invisible Cities" is a masterpiece.
Joseph Glantz
Posted: Tuesday, May 4, 2010 7:20:19 AM

Neurons: 6,040
uuaschbaer wrote:

zorba_lb
Posted: Tuesday, May 4, 2010 8:02:15 AM

Neurons: 128
1- "Zorba The Greek" - Nikos Kazantzakis, my favorite of all times (Cretan-Greek)
His autotbiography "Report to Greco" and "Road to Greco" are also two masterpieces!
2- "Of love and other Demons"-Gabriel Garcia Marques (Columbian)
3- "The kite Runner" by Khaled Housseini (Afghani origins)
4- "The Marble Bead Game"-Hermann Hesse (German)
5- "Children of our Alley"-Naguib Mahfouz (Egyptian)
uuaschbaer
Posted: Tuesday, May 4, 2010 8:25:39 AM

Joseph Glantz wrote:
uuaschbaer wrote:

I'll remember that one.
LouLou
Posted: Tuesday, May 4, 2010 10:00:50 AM

Neurons: 107
"A thousand splendid suns" by Khaled Housseini (Afghani)
and of course the French classic novels: "Madame Bovary" by Gustave Flaubert, "notre dame de Paris" by Victor Hugo
and french poetry: "Les Contemplations" by Victor Hugo , "Méditations poétiques" by Alphonse de Lamartine, "Les Fleurs du mal" by Charles Baudelaire, "Romances sans paroles" by Paul Verlaine.
E-Minor
Posted: Tuesday, May 4, 2010 10:23:26 AM

Neurons: 297
Babezy wrote:
Here in the U.S. it's very easy to hear of the main American fiction authors and get a good reading list. But I'd like to broaden my experience of non-American authors. Is there anyone you'd recommend? If the person doesn't write in English I may be able to get a translated version through the Internet shops. Thanks.

One way I've found novels by international writers was to look up various literary awards to writers worldwide - there are sites for that. Here in Canada, we hear about Canadian and American authors, but sometimes you have to search out international ones. There are many who write in English, and many excellant translations, which are widely available. You will open up a whole new world for yourself...in my opinion many of the best writers are not based in North America.
Babezy
Posted: Tuesday, May 4, 2010 8:15:38 PM

Neurons: 2,806
Thank you for these terrific suggestions! There's a whole MONTH of reading here, or maybe even more! You guys are the best.
Rhizome
Posted: Sunday, May 9, 2010 3:23:34 AM

Neurons: 60

2666 by Roberto Bolaño is one of the best pieces of contemporary fiction I've read in a long, long time. Loved it.
nastasia
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2010 1:02:16 PM

Neurons: 33
Joseph Glantz wrote:
uuaschbaer wrote:

I certainly agree that Italo Calvino is unique.He was a man who wrote literature, was intellectual,could create fiction and make readers really feel how inspired he was and how deep his thoughts could be.Icould only recommend his book.
Kıvılcım Gündoğdu
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2020 6:06:26 AM

Neurons: 235,271
Mikhail Bulgakov - The Master and Margarita

I've read a lot but this book may be my number one
OliviaZ
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2021 7:54:03 AM

Neurons: 55
Jo Nesbo, a Scandanavian author whose main character Harry Hole is an interesting detective. The Scarecrow and The Bat are two of his books I enjoyed.

Emile Zola, a French writer from the late 1800s. Germinal is one that I enjoyed greatly.
soybeans
Posted: Sunday, March 14, 2021 5:59:37 PM

Neurons: 621,615
Keigo Higashino - The Devotion of Suspect X, Under the Midnight Sun
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Sunday, March 14, 2021 7:31:22 PM

Neurons: 648,813
After I finish this Tolkien's Kullervon Tarina I'll start Le Crabe Tambour.
Not sure how how it is translated into English. Written ny Pierre Schoendoerffer. Mostly known as a documentarist and war correspondent.
Stefano Gomez
Posted: Friday, May 21, 2021 2:14:21 AM

Neurons: 903,471
You should just read whatever the nobel comittee proposes. It's not great, it's usually far from the best, but it's the canon. After that you can look up whoever influenced those writers and continue on.
tautophile
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2021 11:31:14 PM

Neurons: 43,316
By "non-American authors", Babezy, do you mean writers in English who are not Americans? That would include many British, Irish, Canadian, Australian, New Zealand, South African, and other Commonwealth authors. There are also a number of authors (e.g., Joseph Conrad), who wrote in English even though it was not their native language Or do you mean writers in other languages whose works have been translated into English? Literature in English dates back a thousand years; do you mean "the last 100 years, or the last 200, or the last 50, or what?
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2021 3:13:16 AM

Neurons: 648,813
Tauto,

Babezy's last visit in Forum was on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 1:44:36 AM.
Angel
Nelson Cerqueira
Posted: Sunday, September 5, 2021 3:01:50 PM

Neurons: 478,798
The Brazilian Jorge Amado: 162 weeks as most read; and 62 weeks on Broadway show!