mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
absolute Options
Nousher Ahmed 1
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2015 8:48:50 AM

Neurons: 2,427
Would anybody like to explain the grammatical structure of the following sentence?

"Being an adjective or pronoun that stands alone when the noun it modifies is being implied but not stated."

1) What does mean "Being an adjective or pronoun"? Please give some examples. With these examples, I will practice more and more to learn it clearly.

2) How "it modifies" is related to the other parts of this sentence? Would anybody like to give some examples of such type relation that will help me to understand this fact clearly?

( In case of my last question, in my last sentence, I wanted to indicate "examples" with "that". Is 'that' indicating to 'examples'? If it indicates to 'relation', how to write this sentence to indicate 'examples' with 'that' instead of 'relation'?)
daftpunk
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2015 10:00:37 AM

Neurons: 2,430

When you use introductory participial clauses that are anchored to the subject in the main clause you need to make sure that it is followed by a comma. Your sentence is difficult to read without placing a comma after the participial clause and without putting "that" in quotes.

Being an adjective or pronoun, "that" stands alone when the noun it modifies is being implied but not stated.

Participial clauses like "Being an adjective or pronoun" are pretty common in formal writing and the main thing usage guides point out about them is that you need to make sure that the anchor for that clause is easily found in the main clause. In your sentence "that" is understood to be "an adjective or pronoun", and it's all fine. More often than not the sentence will become unreadable if the participial clause isn't connected to the anchor in the main clause, which results in what is popularly called "dangling participle".

Quote:
2) How "it modifies" is related to the other parts of this sentence? Would anybody like to give some examples of such type relation that will help me to understand this fact clearly?

For the sake of simplification we can leave out the introductory participial clause:

"That" stands alone when the noun it modifies is being implied but not stated.

The underlined part is a prepositional phrase headed by the preposition "when" and it is a syntactic constituent on the sentence level which explains under what circumstances "that" stands alone. "It modifies" is a clause which is embedded within this syntactic element, or more specifically, it is a relative clause modifying the subject of the dependent clause: The noun (it modifies)is being implied but not stated. We could include the omitted relativizer "that" of course "The noun that it modifies is being implied but not stated."

Saber.A
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2015 10:46:12 AM

Neurons: 125,845
Applause Applause Applause Applause
NKM
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2015 1:41:39 PM

Neurons: 315,308
The comma is absolutely necessary! Without it, "that" would be read as a conjunction, and there's no sentence at all.
(It's just one very long, complicated participial phrase with two subordinate clauses embedded in it.)

I'm impressed that daftpunk managed to decipher the meaning of it.

tunaafi
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2015 2:05:27 PM

Neurons: 53,503
NKM wrote:

So am I. It defeated me.
Audiendus
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2015 2:17:49 PM

Neurons: 1,301,263
tunaafi wrote:
NKM wrote:

So am I. It defeated me.

Me too! I would never have guessed that the "that" should be in quotes.
daftpunk
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2015 3:30:59 PM

Neurons: 2,430
Wow, I'm flattered, thank you guys :)