mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Gulag Options
Daemon
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2015 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,128
Gulag

The Gulag was a system of forced-labor prison camps in the USSR, from the Russian acronym for the Main Directorate of Corrective Labor Camps, a department of the Soviet secret police. It was first established under Lenin during the early Bolshevik years and ultimately included 476 camp complexes. The system reached its peak after 1928 under Stalin, who used it to maintain the Soviet state by keeping its populace in a state of terror. Whose book publicized the gulag system to the Western world? More...
Omar Mariani
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2015 1:08:08 AM

Neurons: 76,546
Archipelago Gulag, I think
ChristopherJohnson
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2015 1:33:03 AM

Neurons: 2,194,036
“Gulag” is a Russian acronym meaning “Main (Labour) Camp Administration“, whereas “Gulag Archipelago” –is a book by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2015 8:24:27 AM

Neurons: 2,599,403
I haven't read Solzhenitsyn's Gulag Archipelago, but I can heartily recommend his One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich.
Absurdicuss
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2015 9:31:23 AM

Neurons: 30,734

I read it long ago Hellfie. It is a real life horror story. The communists maintained a string of gulags across northern Siberia, hence the term archipelago.

The government tactics which brought about such conditions were the well established divide and conquer method used then and now to control public perception.

Control the media.
Redefine terms.
Create an enemy.
Promote the eradication of said enemy as a matter of national security and public safety.
Result: Police State where political opposition is muted and the majority is either complicit or complacent.
striker
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2015 10:21:37 AM

Neurons: 5,079,026
terrible camps
Gary98
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2015 10:45:40 AM

Neurons: 5,909,888
Do we have our own Gulag? Archipelago Gulag? Maybe hidden, in smaller scale?
monamagda
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2015 1:56:12 PM

Neurons: 7,540,551
Alexander Solzhenitsyn's The Gulag Archipelago

Although more than four decades have now passed since the winter of 1974, when unbound, hand-typed, samizdat manuscripts of Alexander Solzhenitsyn's Gulag Archipelago first began circulating around what used to be the Soviet Union, the emotions they stirred remain today. Usually, readers were given only 24 hours to finish the lengthy manuscript—the first historical account of the Soviet concentration camp system—before it had to be passed on to the next person. That meant spending an entire day and a whole night absorbed in Solzhenitsyn's sometimes eloquent, sometimes angry prose—not an experience anyone was likely to forget.

It didn't matter: Even Solzhenitsyn's expulsion from Russia in 1974 only increased his notoriety as well as the impact of The Gulag Archipelago. That book, though based on the "reports, memoirs, and letters by 227 witnesses," was not quite a straight history—obviously, Solzhenitsyn did not have access to then-secret archives—but, rather, an interpretation of history. Partly polemical, partly autobiographical, emotional and judgmental, it aimed to show that, contrary to what many believed, the mass arrests and concentration camps of the Soviet Union were not an incidental phenomenon but an essential part of the Soviet system—and that they had been from the very beginning.
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/foreigners/2008/08/death_of_a_writer.html
monamagda
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2015 1:57:49 PM

Neurons: 7,540,551

“Bless you prison, bless you for being in my life. For there, lying upon the rotting prison straw, I came to realize that the object of life is not prosperity as we are made to believe, but the maturity of the human soul.”

― Aleksander Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago 1918-1956
Shamshad Ali Afridi
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2015 4:01:07 PM

Neurons: 94,307
Every individual carries an archipelago of his own micro gulags. Cynicism, negativism, delayism, haughtiness, racism etc etc. We should get rid of these inner gulags as well.
Fredric Frank Myers
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2015 8:02:26 PM

Neurons: 22,366
A nice place to visit but I don't think i'd like to live there...
Absurdicuss
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 7:08:34 AM

Neurons: 30,734

Gary98 wrote:
Do we have our own Gulag? Archipelago Gulag? Maybe hidden, in smaller scale?

Representing the worst of American capitalism, our gulags are the prison industry. The in your face shrewdly marketed solution to public safety. While many deserve worse than life long lock up, a disproportionately large number are serving egregious sentences as a result of politically popular prosecutions i.e. marijuana crimes.